✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What should I do?

Fellow coldplayers I need to know what you´re all doing about the new songs being played at festivals. With the great quality videos being released, the temptation is high to listen to these songs over and over again, but I am afraid to give in as that would definitely spoil my experience of the album, should all songs be on LP5. I don´t know why Coldplay torture us this way :angry:, but what are you doing about it? Listen or not listen?

Pros and cons?

I've listened because its there and I couldn't wait not knowing when the album was due and potentially having to wait months. with VLV I managed not to listen to the new stuff because I knew I didn't have to wait very long.

I've been listening to the new songs over and over, and I have certainly considered stopping right now and waiting until the album is released. I do feel a little like I've spoiled it for myself, but it was just too hard to resist. Particularly once I'd listened a couple of times and realised how amazing the songs are (not to make it any harder on you).

Ultimately, it is up to you. I mean -- what we have access to now is going to still be available once the album has been released, but I do think maybe you should try and hold out. At least for as long as you can.

On the other hand...these are live versions. The studio versions will always be much different, so would we really spoil ourselves by listening to these live first? Damn I wish Coldplay had not put us into this position! They thought they were doing us a favor, but instead...argh! hehe

They are the live versions, yes -- but I still think wait. There is something about hearing studio versions first. It's like the natural progression or something, hearing what the band officially release and then hearing it as they play it live. But again, it's up to you and your willpower.

I can't help but feel a little regret at being so over-zealous in my current listenings. All five songs have been on repeat since we've had access to them. I can't help myself.

Maybe I'll stop tomorrow...

"Hurts Like Heaven" has grown on me exponentially. The lyrics, the intro, it's general sound? So, so, so amazing. I'm thinking it will be the album opener.

But yes -- hold off if you can. I think it'll end up being worth it.

I agree with the first paragraph.

I am spoiled all the way through. I needed to see the new songs to be certain that ETIAW will not be the sound of the new Coldplay. Luckily, it doesn't seem like it now.

Oh well, there's nothing better than seeing new things live first (I'm going to Werchter Festival) although I've seen live records of all the new songs they played as of yet.

But still, the album will be a lot different. Half of the songs we won't have heard before, the way the songs we know will be recorded is unclear now, the order of the songs, etc.

I listened to the songs but not too many times cuz I.dnt wanna overplay them before the album. But I dnt know i if i like that we were put in this position. I love hearing an entire album first then hear the live versions. :\ but I also like hearing the new songs

I just didn't think they were gonna leave us hanging this long. I want the album already!

I don't listen to the new songs too much. I'm afraid the studio versions will seem too overproduced to me if I keep listening to the live versions.

But I'm also glad that there are live versions to go back to, because I actually fear that the studio versions might be overproduced once again.

I have a long standing contract with myself that I don't listen to leaks. But I have been listening to the live stuff obsessively without thinking twice. I don't think it will ruin the album for me. If fact, the live stuff is making me more anxious for the studio releases. I mean, I listen the albums I like over & over & over without growing tired of them so I don't think the live stuff will matter.

I think this is really personal, though. You know how you react to new/old music.

For me, live versions and studio versions always sound completely different. In the live versions, you can't hear all the little nuances that Coldplay casually slide into the songs in the studio, all of the tiny little electronic beats and quiet guitar runs that are oh-so-common in Coldplay's songs. In most live songs, Guy's bass is pretty much drowned out by Jonny and Will (mostly Jonny :P)

So, for me at least, listening to the live versions of songs beforehand won't spoil the album for me.

Although it does make me extremely impatient for LP5

I think this is really personal, though. You know how you react to new/old music.

Exactly. I always listen to various bands' new live songs and never get tired and it never ruins an album for me.

I've been listeining new songs like 24/7, mostly because I want to sing along when they play it in Poland :)

whenever there is something new of the guys i immediately listen to it. but it's a good point to stop listening again to not to spoil the album or so.. but if you have listened to new stuff a few times you know it and then you probably dont go too crazy about it anymore because of not knowing the songs. you might want to listen to them again and again and again though.. :nice:

this time i was at their very first big live show after a while (nürnberg) so what could i have done, plug my ears?? :p

well, on that day etiaw was released. it was no problem not to listen to it for about 11 hours until they played it live :rolleyes:

it was the best coldplay concert ever because of not knowing all the songs before.. so if you're going to a concert soon i would wait!

What I doing is I listened to all the new stuff a few times but now im gonna try not to listen to them until the album comes out. I don't want to spoil the album either.

Thankfully coldplay has a TON of amazing songs that they have released since the late 90s so I think I have plenty of music to hold me over! :D

If you do listen to new live songs, I think you need to make sure to seek out high-quality footage. Thanks to the Rock am Ring stream, everything that isn't "Princess of China" is fair game so far. But I still haven't listened to "Princess of China" for that very reason. A low-quality version WILL dilute the experience.

If you do listen to new live songs, I think you need to make sure to seek out high-quality footage. Thanks to the Rock am Ring stream, everything that isn't "Princess of China" is fair game so far. But I still haven't listened to "Princess of China" for that very reason. A low-quality version WILL dilute the experience.

I agree. I've seen Princess of China, not the whole thing I think, and I have an idea of the song which will probably get me spoiled. But it's hard because it's a weird song anyway.

I've listened to the low-quality recording of Major Minus before the livestream, and I thought it might be a really good song. A little bit spoiled there, but that doesn't mean I wasn't blown away when I saw it on the livestream. I would have been blown away harder, that's for sure.