✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Opinions are fine but all the name calling is getting bang out of order. Please keep it civil.

Well said! Some of us like Every Teardrop and there are others that don't. What I don't understand is why people have to insult anyone with a different opinion or state that their opinion is a fact. For example, we have all seen posts with someone making the assertion that "everyone hates/dislikes the new song" or stating that "most of the fans think the song is terrible." That irritates me because I do not like someone speaking on my behalf. In my opinion, I absolutely love Every Teardrop and it is one of my favorite Coldplay songs. I have no problem with people who disagree with me. No need to make things personal. In the end we are all on this forum because for one reason or another we love coldplay.

I think they know (since Debs posts here) and probably they care. I hope they didn't just read the ETIAW comments because even if that song is terrible, the other songs they played are pretty good :nod:

What posts? Hi Debs :nice:

:uhoh:

djwihfuefh

what have they posted anyways? :surprised:

and also, i think people should just shut up about the song, theres not much you can do, plus it's not the end of the world. Just skip it. The good news is that the rest of the album sounds good imo, or atleast better than that single.

EMI may not be able to force Coldplay into producing a certain style of music, but they can control what songs they end up releasing--which I'm suspecting is what they did with ETiaW. I mean, has Coldplay ever given us an album's first single before announcing the release date/title/tracklisting? No (although I realize that ETiaW could be a standalone like Christmas Lights).

So the record companies have some control, but not total brainwashing control.

EMI may not be able to force Coldplay into producing a certain style of music, but they can control what songs they end up releasing--which I'm suspecting is what they did with ETiaW. I mean, has Coldplay ever given us an album's first single before announcing the release date/title/tracklisting? No (although I realize that ETiaW could be a standalone like Christmas Lights).

So the record companies have some control, but not total brainwashing control.

Do we know how many albums they have left on their contract with EMI? If they are nearing the end of their contract it wouldn't bode EMI well to piss them off. They are one of the few bands that still sells albums in meaningful numbers.

And even if EMI has some control, I cannot imagine Chris & Co. saying, "OK, let's write some poppy shit to make them happy." Whether I like the song or not, I have to believe THEY are proud of it. I'd be really disappointed to think they'd put out something they honestly think is crap to please the record company.

I'm guessing they might have an inkling, particularly based on the the recent tweet from Chris himself (gasp). I think they do care, but at the same time I don't think they should change what they're doing because of what we say. The whole idea of making music in the first place is the love of making it, not because you aim to do what other people want you to do. As long as they are making music that they want to make, that's what really matters in the end; but of course, they are the only ones who know that for sure.

That being said, I think ETIAW was just a little (highly devisive) hiccup. The other new stuff seems to be much more well-received.

I can agree with you here and it really goes to show that you really can't please people because if they kept producing the same music fans would complain its the same old same old over and over. I have read so many articles with people saying that the band is too whiny and boring, people need to understand that as music evolves so will the band and that they should appreciate that .

Do we know how many albums they have left on their contract with EMI? If they are nearing the end of their contract it wouldn't bode EMI well not to piss them off. They are one of the few bands that still sells albums in meaningful numbers.

And even if EMI has some control, I cannot imagine Chris & Co. saying, "OK, let's write some poppy shit to make them happy." Whether I like the song or not, I have to believe THEY are proud of it. I'd be really disappointed to think they'd put out something they honestly think of crap to please the record company.

Yeah, same. Seems really unlikely to me.

Do we know how many albums they have left on their contract with EMI? If they are nearing the end of their contract it wouldn't bode EMI well not to piss them off. They are one of the few bands that still sells albums in meaningful numbers.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the contract is 5 albums, so this would be the last one.

I remember Chris saying once that you can´t please everyone...and that´s just it. A true artist produces music that is relevant to her/him and channels her/his own creativity in a unique personal way, regardless of the reaction of the outside world. This is true artistic expression. There will always be people who like the song and people who hate it. Regardless of how many like the song, Coldplay I am sure will stick to their vision , because that is the only way to be creative and evolve. :)