✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So there's been going on a lot for the past week. A new single was released that was loved by many, disliked or even hated by many others. There has been a lot of ranting and negative criticism by core fans.

My question is, do the band know what's going on in their fan base? Second, do they give a fuck?

I'm guessing they might have an inkling, particularly based on the the recent tweet from Chris himself (gasp). I think they do care, but at the same time I don't think they should change what they're doing because of what we say. The whole idea of making music in the first place is the love of making it, not because you aim to do what other people want you to do. As long as they are making music that they want to make, that's what really matters in the end; but of course, they are the only ones who know that for sure.

That being said, I think ETIAW was just a little (highly devisive) hiccup. The other new stuff seems to be much more well-received.

I'm really convinced that they have "one eye on us". :)

Of course, firstly their feeling about the new song is more important but I'm sure that they look at the "hardcore fans" (being in a community and think 24 hours about the band) and their feelings.

PS: I want to admit, that I love ETIAW so much!!! Thanks for this beautiful song!

You're probably both right. After all, this whole ETIAW thing won't be more than (I doubt you can say it like that in English, it's a Dutch expression, but I'll use it anyway) a storm in a glass of water.

Hey we use that expression in mexico too. Una tormenta en un vaso de agua. I agree with your use of that expression.:cool:

I think they know (since Debs posts here) and probably they care. I hope they didn't just read the ETIAW comments because even if that song is terrible, the other songs they played are pretty good :nod:

I'm guessing they might have an inkling, particularly based on the the recent tweet from Chris himself (gasp). I think they do care, but at the same time I don't think they should change what they're doing because of what we say. The whole idea of making music in the first place is the love of making it, not because you aim to do what other people want you to do. As long as they are making music that they want to make, that's what really matters in the end; but of course, they are the only ones who know that for sure.

That being said, I think ETIAW was just a little (highly devisive) hiccup. The other new stuff seems to be much more well-received.

This. For their huge, rock-star status, I think they do a very good job of staying in touch with their fans (just look at the Oracle and Roadie's blogs) and there's no doubt that they know ETiaW caused some disruption in their fanbase. Would they remove ETiaW from LP5 soley because of this? No, but it will most likely be taken into consideration.

That's a great way to put it, NumbersGirl, ETiaW is just a hiccup on Coldplay's record. Nothing special about it, except that it's a great summer/festival song. :cool:

Totally agree on this one, they cannot question what they have done in years of work for the LP5 just for a first single that their fans don't like. And yet we're not sure it will be in the new album, so...

(I doubt you can say it like that in English, it's a Dutch expression, but I'll use it anyway) a storm in a glass of water.

Same in Italian, as far as I know in English it would be 'a storm in a teacup' or 'a tempest in a teapot'.

I think they know (since Debs posts here) and probably they care. I hope they didn't just read the ETIAW comments because even if that song is terrible, the other songs they played are pretty good :nod:

And furthermore, there's people like me that like ETIAW... and i think they should think always there'll be people with different like

You're probably both right. After all, this whole ETIAW thing won't be more than (I doubt you can say it like that in English, it's a Dutch expression, but I'll use it anyway) a storm in a glass of water.

Same in German :D

And I agree with what NumbersGirl said.

What tweet would that be?

And I dearly hope they do care... but like you said, caring shouldn't really affect the music. I just hope they know that most of their fans think the song's shit haha

^Agreed. Any band worth their salt want to grow, create and test their collective talents. I'd be leery of one that rests on their laurels, never straying from a proven formula (that's for the manufactured 'boy bands', etc.) With that said, it should be expected that their fan base would change. They should expect to lose some fans, while gaining others. That's the nature of art. Bands with longevity manage to keep solid numbers, but they aren't necessarily the same fans. As the band changes, so do their fans.

I love this quote from the drummer of Interpol (my favorite band for the past 10 years) that addresses this very thing: Sam Fogarino: "We're just trying to forge our own path.... to do what feels right to us - all that are into it are invited to explore with us. All that do not care to join, there's many other paths to choose from." 9/2010

What tweet would that be?

And I dearly hope they do care... but like you said, caring shouldn't really affect the music. I just hope they know that most of their fans think the song's shit haha

who cares, let Chris sing, if that is not love for his fans :nice:

they drowned in a huge glass of water .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB-GWZl1fVM&NR=1]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - " Every Teardrop is a Waterfall " HQ Live @ Rock am Ring Festival : Nürburgring, Germany‬‏[/ame]

I'm really convinced that they have "one eye on us". :)

Of course, firstly their feeling about the new song is more important but I'm sure that they look at the "hardcore fans" (being in a community and think 24 hours about the band) and their feelings.

PS: I want to admit, that I love ETIAW so much!!! Thanks for this beautiful song!

your seriously insane to say ETIAW is a beautiful song, realy makes me sick to my stomach to hear that song and im a core coldplay fan

and they can change their style of music and whatever i dont mind but THIS style is just plain dreadful and unlistenable, i mean the 4 new songs is great i like them but THEY ARENT GROUNDBREAKING or that impressive

your seriously insane to say ETIAW is a beautiful song, realy makes me sick to my stomach to hear that song and im a core coldplay fan

and they can change their style of music and whatever i dont mind but THIS style is just plain dreadful and unlistenable, i mean the 4 new songs is great i like them but THEY ARENT GROUNDBREAKING or that impressive

Oh my God. Your opinion made me change my mind and now I hate the song. Was THIS your purpose?

LET US TROLL THESE FORUMS AND SHOW OTHERS THE LIGHT.

Thank you for showing me the way, and how to be a "Core Coldplay fan."

:thinking:

...ass

a core fan talking about the 4 new songs + etiaw is worth a facepalm but i dont want to be rude again. what about the princess? if they care i am ashamed by now. i am not ashamed by somebody's opinion but of the behaviour of some people around this place the last few weeks, maybe including myself also *uhoh*. if they take informations from here then they hopefully are intelligent enough to differ... *goodbye&goodnight*

Dude...it's all opinion. Just because you don't find the song listenable, it doesn't mean someone else is insane for thinking it's beautiful. I think the end of the song is quite uplifting, but I don't call other people insane for not agreeing with me. :shrug: