✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The chance no new songs/only ETIAW will be on new album?

Now that Major Minus was confirmed as a b-side my mind's starting to reel. No Coldplay b-side has ever made an album in the past so I don't see why that would change now. What if all the songs they're playing are just b-sides to forthcoming singles or songs they don't plan on putting on the record? As great as Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, and Us Against the World are I can't help but wonder.

I'm almost lead to think ETIAW might be the only song of all the new ones that actually end up on the new album (and it's my least favorite of them). I read here someone say it might not even make it either, considering all the new songs Chris is writing and the 'hundreds' of songs to choose from as Guy put it on the BBC Interview yesterday. I'm definitely speculative as to why they would play half of the new album months before releasing it.

What do you think? :thinking:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major Minus hasn't been confirmed as a b-side, just an additional track to the ETiaW release--thei may mean it's a double a-side. I'm hoping it still makes it on the album, because it's my favorite of the new songs.

So I'm thinking that this might be an EP release with ETiaW, Major Minus, and maybe a couple of other new tracks that won't make it on the album (HLH, CB, UAtW, etc.)

Doubtful that any of these songs will make it on LP5 if this is the case.

Really? There are several options which are in my head but honestly: I have no idea what the plan could be. I demand facts, Coldplay! Hope, next week we'll know more about that mysterious songs and singles and b sides and a sides and the whole album...

Guest howyousawtheworld

They never said that Major Minus is a b side. Maybe more of a double a side.

I don't think Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven will be left off the album. The band are aware of how great fans think Charlie Brown is as shown by the Roadie blogs. And MX/Hurts Like Heaven seems like the perfect album opener to me.

I don't think Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven will be left off the album. The band are aware of how great fans think Charlie Brown is as shown by the Roadie blogs. And MX/Hurts Like Heaven seems like the perfect album opener to me.

My thoughts exactly. But then we get back to the point of Major Minus--I think it's the best of the new songs, but maybe, based on the reaction it got from the festivals, the guys don't think it's all that good and are deciding to drop it from LP5?

I hope they aren't basing their opinions too heavily on the reaction of the crowds :uhoh:

I'm hoping that's the case too. I think Coldplay have gotten most of us into a habit of overthinking these things, and personally I'm not really seeing any compelling evidence that points towards Major Minus not being on the album, what with it's frequent appearance on their current setlist, and the "Major Minus Media" insignia on their jackets. Some of us got a bit panicky when ETIAW was revealed, but if that song got past quality control then I see no reason why Major Minus should have any less of a chance :P

This is true. I just haven't heard of many bands that do that. Radiohead and Queen- that's it. I'm sure there are others who've done it but I mean. How common is that really in music these days? I'd say it was (a lot) more common in the 70's and 80's than today. And they only mentioned ETIAW when they first announced it. Wouldn't they have highlighed BOTH tracks if that were the case? idk. Just trying to make sense of this.

So I'm thinking that this might be an EP release with ETiaW, Major Minus, and maybe a couple of other new tracks that won't make it on the album (HLH, CB, UAtW, etc.)

I think that'd be really cool/neat honestly. :]

That's a pretty good point. This is the only thing that makes me doubt the idea that these songs won't make it on the album.

My thoughts exactly. But then we get back to the point of Major Minus--I think it's the best of the new songs, but maybe, based on the reaction it got from the festivals, the guys don't think it's all that good and are deciding to drop it from LP5?

I hope they aren't basing their opinions too heavily on the reaction of the crowds :uhoh:

Is how we say the world not a better song than most of the songs from X&Y, and is See You soon...

Not the first time that a b-side is a really good song. So i hope mojor minus will be on the album, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a B-side.

It never seemed likely they'd give almost half of the new album "away" by playing it live before the release. So yeah... My guess would be that one or two of these new songs will actually end up on the album. But who knows.

It never seemed likely they'd give almost half of the new album "away" by playing it live before the release. So yeah... My guess would be that one or two of these new songs will actually end up on the album. But who knows.

Yeah, on the one hand they are super cautious when they gave us SOME news of LP5 but on the other hand they give us without promotion half of the new album?

Think the same!

Double A-sides being released months before an LP release is nothing new, guys. I remember there was speculation over whether "Month of May" would be on The Suburbs because this same discussion and scenario happened.

And hey, if it IS a B-side, it wouldn't be the first time in Coldplay history that a B-side exceeds actual album material. *glances at Gravity and others*

Now that Major Minus was confirmed as a b-side my mind's starting to reel. No Coldplay b-side has ever made an album in the past so I don't see why that would change now. What if all the songs they're playing are just b-sides to forthcoming singles or songs they don't plan on putting on the record? As great as Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, and Us Against the World are I can't help but wonder.

I'm almost lead to think ETIAW might be the only song of all the new ones that actually end up on the new album (and it's my least favorite of them). I read here someone say it might not even make it either, considering all the new songs Chris is writing and the 'hundreds' of songs to choose from as Guy put it on the BBC Interview yesterday. I'm definitely speculative as to why they would play half of the new album months before releasing it.

What do you think? :thinking:

major minus HAS NOT been confirmed as a b-side, they said it was a brand new song included in the cd , i think it is another single, and even if it was actually a b-side, coldplay has already included songs that were b-sides on the album, that hapened in the parachutes era thought...

coldplay have played major minus in absolutely all festivals, chiris has LYRICS FROM MAJOR MINUS IN HIS GUITAR , in their jackets it says major minus media, all this stuff is not because of a simple b - side, these is a single, the FIRST single, you will see, thats what i belive...

okay all the people who think, for positive or negative reasons, that none of the new songs will be on the album need to have a reality check. i think most people fall into the camp of denying reality and some, to a significantly lesser extent, would just like as many new songs as possible.

i'd love as many new songs as possible. i just think it makes sense etiaw along with mm, hlh and cb will be on the album.

this digital bundle on itunes will probably have songs that have been mixed that haven't made the album cut, aside from etiaw and mm.

Major Minus is too instrumental to their costumes/aesthetic for it to not be on the album. I'm with people who see it as a double a-side. I'm positive the other three songs we've heard live (aside from Princess of China) will be on the album. They would only debut songs they thought were really good. You don't go to a festival and play a b-side. And I think all the songs they've played are definitely album worthy - even if I still hope there are better songs up their sleeves.

At the end of the day, it's fine to hope for something but its another thing to think etiaw and the new tracks won't be on the album.

I'll be glad for the day we have some tracklist confirmation so some of this negative pointless banter can stop.

I doubt they'd advertise a b-side like they are at these huge festivals, their label wouldn't like it. These songs are going on the album, ETIAW is the only slightly questionable track.

In terms of the new songs: hooray! A little bitter about the itunes exclusive digital bundle bullshit given I JUST ordered a physical copy... I wish they would do like Flying Lotus and have the webcam-photo-recognizing thing to get access to those songs.