✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The chance no new songs/only ETIAW will be on new album?

You don't go to a festival and play a b-side.

They played One I Love at festivals in 2002 before it was released. They also played See You Soon at festivals, and they played songs that never even got released.

I'm not too fond of most of the X&Y and Viva b-sides, but Coldplay has had some brilliant b-sides in the past.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major Minus is too instrumental to their costumes/aesthetic for it to not be on the album. I'm with people who see it as a double a-side. I'm positive the other three songs we've heard live (aside from Princess of China) will be on the album. They would only debut songs they thought were really good. You don't go to a festival and play a b-side. And I think all the songs they've played are definitely album worthy - even if I still hope there are better songs up their sleeves.

At the end of the day, it's fine to hope for something but its another thing to think etiaw and the new tracks won't be on the album.

I'll be glad for the day we have some tracklist confirmation so some of this negative pointless banter can stop.

You're going about this all wrong. I have nothing against the new songs. Three of them are absolutely incredible and I could hardly ask for better! But how often do bands release double a sides these days? Not often. And again. Why did they release ETIAW digitally as a stand alone if it's a double a side? That makes no sense at all. They've clearly set it apart from Major Minus. They played A Spell a Rebel Yell at some early VLVDAAHF concerts and that ended up a b side so clearly they have in the past. Although you do have a point, they probably wouldn't have it as a major part of their clothing if it wasn't an important song.

its a whole lot of theories.

i realize coldplay has played b-sides at festivals and concerts. i mean to say that before an album is released, i highly doubt they wouldn't want to put, what was in their estimation, their best foot forward. the only reason i can imagine the new songs played live not being on the album would be if the band felt they didn't fit musically. but i highly doubt that.

oh and i want to say i've just listened to major minus five times in a row, and i take back any hesitation i had about it. i'm not particularly found of the main chris part (might be improved in the studio version) but johnny's guitar part is absolutely crazy good!!!

Does anyone else still think ALL the new songs will be on the album? But I'd be fine if major minus was left off, not a fan.

Also, I don't think they'd go through all the trouble to keep these B-sides a secret, plus they wouldn't develop art like the walking man for hurts like heaven.

You're going about this all wrong. I have nothing against the new songs. Three of them are absolutely incredible and I could hardly ask for better! But how often do bands release double a sides these days? Not often. And again. Why did they release ETIAW digitally as a stand alone if it's a double a side? That makes no sense at all. They've clearly set it apart from Major Minus. They played A Spell a Rebel Yell at some early VLVDAAHF concerts and that ended up a b side so clearly they have in the past. Although you do have a point, they probably wouldn't have it as a major part of their clothing if it wasn't an important song.

Sorry - didn't mean to lump you into the group of people who think the new songs aren't good enough.

I was making a generalization, which is obviously hard to do on these forums as people's opinions are varied and informed by different things.

I do know bands don't usually do the double A-side. I think it's unusual, but as someone mentioned, Arcade Fire did it last summer and they have the same producers in Markus (not that that's a big deal - i just mean Coldplay aren't coming at music from a completely different place).

I'd just be very surprised ETIAW and MM weren't on the album.

let me also say that i think we, as coldplay fans, all give the band too much credit for how it plans things.

i think because, most of us, are so rapid and determined in our desire to get our hands on information, we spend a lot time theorizing about possibilities the band wouldn't have dreamed of. i'm as guilty as anyone. but after hearing will and guy interviewed yesterday, i get the idea we give the band way to much credit for their ability to plan and, therefore, act in a strategic manner. it seems like they're very much going at it a day at a time. which isn't a bad thing if it means giving us all this new music!

Does anyone else still think ALL the new songs will be on the album? But I'd be fine if major minus was left off, not a fan.

MX/Hurts Like Heaven - In all likelihood, yes. We have the walking man graphics and I think it's a great opener

Charlie Brown - Yes. Seems to be a big hit, and I think it could get up there with Viva and Yellow as crowd-pleasers

Major Minus - I'm fairly certain about this one. It's all over the guys' clothing and instruments--it's getting an awful lot of attention if it gets bumped down to a b-side

Us Against The World - In all honesty, I like this one the least out of the new songs. It's a good song, but I think it may be demoted to a b-side

Princess Of China - Here's the mysterious one. I like it, based off the low-quality videos we've got, and I think it sounds like a spin-off of Viva. If they play it at Glasto, then I'd say it's on LP5. If not, then perhaps a b-side or hidden track

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be on the album at this point in time

So are they goin to glastonbury to play b-side?! this is the fact.. i can't believe those brilliant songs are all of them b-side..

They have played a song before at Glastonbury that turned out to be a b-side (One I Love). Could be exactly the same for Major Minus.

I can't see more than one song being a b-side though. But having one new song being a b-side would fit with what they've done in the past.

In the end, it doesn't matter. A song is a song. No matter how it gets released.

Sorry - didn't mean to lump you into the group of people who think the new songs aren't good enough.

I was making a generalization, which is obviously hard to do on these forums as people's opinions are varied and informed by different things.

I do know bands don't usually do the double A-side. I think it's unusual, but as someone mentioned, Arcade Fire did it last summer and they have the same producers in Markus (not that that's a big deal - i just mean Coldplay aren't coming at music from a completely different place).

I'd just be very surprised ETIAW and MM weren't on the album.

It's all good man. No worries. And that's definitely true- some people couldn't love the songs more and some people seem to hate them.

Oh. I didn't know they did that. I like Arcade Fire but I'm not as knowledgeable with them as with other bands say Coldplay or Radiohead. I did know about the Markus connection though. :] And I could see how that could suggest Coldplay's new single is a double a side. Plus, it's on all of their clothes like you said so that's gotta have some significance.

I don't know, I mean I just find it hard to believe that they would play 5/6 new songs from the album when it's not going to be out until at least late summer I imagine. But if that's the case then so be it. We'll still get another 4 or 5 that we haven't heard and all the ones we have are really great as far as I'm concerned! Especially CB, HLH, and UATW. I have no idea though. I'm really anticipating the tracklist release so we can clear a lot of stuff up and be sure of what's going on it. That's my favorite part of the whole album process- finding out the songs that made it. Besides listening to the finished product course! :)

I think all the songs will be on a ep. Why? Think about this... coldplay have said themselves that they want their best work done by their late or mid 30's. I don't think many of us think this is their best work. Its great, yes, but its going to take more to be able to beat old coldplay classics. I think the boys have an amaazing album in store and it will blow our minds away. We will have to wait and see but I have a vvery good feeling that we will witness the most amazing coldplay album ever. Even humble chris has admitted that the tunes are amazing. If he thinks they are so great, but imagine how great they will seem to us!

if MM isn't a B-side, but an A-side... why isn't it written on the cover? I guess, it's a b-side and we all think it's a pity but coldplay are really convinced that ETIAW is masterpiece!! and that MM is less good :S

a bit afraid for the album...

We don't ALL think it's a pity...

In case you're wondering why the guys are so mysterious.

Official rule No. 8 of the band is: Always keep mystery. Not many interviews.

Yeah, I know, but this time its exaggerated, isn't it? :P

I mean, today I don't know ANYTHING about the new album for sure, without some topics and the inspiration. ;)