✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pink Floyd Resemblance

Open-Politik

And I'm loving it. I've said it before if Jonny decides to go in any direction as a guitar player fuck the Edge and take notes from David Gilmour, probably the most amazing thing to happen since bread.

Well its this solo which reminds me the most of any I think, from the song "Time."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDwT-z9Id0]YouTube - ‪Pink Floyd-Time Solo David Gilmour‬‏[/ame]

And I'm loving it. I've said it before if Jonny decides to go in any direction as a guitar player fuck the Edge and take notes from David Gilmour, probably the most amazing thing to happen since bread.

Well its this solo which reminds me the most of any I think, from the song "Time."

Love this Guy, he also sings pretty good.

Actually I noticed this as soon as the guitar-y/drums part comes in during the middle of the song. It's how I've been persuading my friends who like older music to listen to it. :P

I think it's a nod to them maybe in a way but I like it better than most of what PF does. No doubt. Plus isn't on that huge conglomeration of songs that influenced Coldplay a big font of Comfortably Numb? And they drew some comparisons on ARBH I remember. But Coldplay is more like other bands than Floyd I'd say.

Pink Floyd came to my mind when I first listened to the opening of this song; I love the cool/jazz effects - off the major keys etc. I mean, yes, there are other bands similar to P.F. , but there is a connection. I love PF lot and I did think before that Coldplay has a psychological edge yet not that "Depressive" or too "cold/outer space". There are more emo. there. Due to Syd's drug and mental issues or not, there is weirdness and "psychdelic" tone embedded always - while Coldplay, most of time, still on "earth" and Happier.

The first two CP albums have more resemblances - cool and chill-out.

What a great song, really slick but really AROBTTH like, and that's brilliant. I agree with what your saying to about Johnny's guitar solo sounding very David Glimour like. As well as their second album i think that MTM (or at least to me) sounds alot like all their albums blended together. Probably the best thing to come out of this era so far, this and UATW. Christmas Lights, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven and MM all great though.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit off-topic. There is an era that I think some of the songs and singing remind me of Jeff Buckley - a more melody oriented, lightful Jeff Buckley~ not for the recent releases though. Coldplay's music never sounds out-of-boundary or crazy, less desperate pain but always a lifting at the end, hopeful. There is a line between feeling connected/cured and throwing yourself off and falling too low. They are eventually positive.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
David Gilmour is the best guitarist alive!

:thumbsup:

^Your right and i hope Jonny continues to channel him like in MTM.

its funny cuz they've never mentioned pink floyd as an influence i think i even asked the oracle once what the band thinks about PF but of course she didn't answer

It seemed to me that MTM was influenced by Pink Floyd as well. What a shame to leave such a song on the album and put some MTV crap on it...

very true

i suggest you listen to verve guys some of their psychedelic work is pretty amazing. shame coldplay decided to go all mainstream they had potential for a floyd-esque record

^I think the potential is still there for a floyd style record. The boys are definitly playing around with more elaborate mixes. If they mixed that with some of the ethereal sounds of parachutes and some of the psychedelia of Viva we might get something more Pink Floyd sounding :shrug:

:thumbsup:

its funny cuz they've never mentioned pink floyd as an influence i think i even asked the oracle once what the band thinks about PF but of course she didn't answer

January 13, 2010 - submitted by Michael, United States of America

Q. At Live 8 in 2005, did Coldplay stick around after their performance to see Pink Floyd reunite? Are they fans of The Floyd?

The Oracle replies:

Continuing with a Live 8 question... Yes they are fans of Pink Floyd but Coldplay had a show that night at Glasgow's Hampden Park as they were still on tour at the time so had to leave soon after their own performance therefore missing the historical moment.

^I think the potential is still there for a floyd style record. The boys are definitly playing around with more elaborate mixes. If they mixed that with some of the ethereal sounds of parachutes and some of the psychedelia of Viva we might get something more Pink Floyd sounding :shrug:

yeah you're right what you're saying sounds incredibly promising to me if they choose to go that direction. well fingers crossed

January 13, 2010 - submitted by Michael, United States of America

Q. At Live 8 in 2005, did Coldplay stick around after their performance to see Pink Floyd reunite? Are they fans of The Floyd?

The Oracle replies:

Continuing with a Live 8 question... Yes they are fans of Pink Floyd but Coldplay had a show that night at Glasgow's Hampden Park as they were still on tour at the time so had to leave soon after their own performance therefore missing the historical moment.

god how did i miss that! i've been waiting for a confrimation and now i have it! yayyy thnx man :)