✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why not an acoustic and "stripped down" album?

Seppel

Hi everybody,my name is Seppel and i'm new here and it's my first thread so i beg your pardon if i make any mistakes while creating this thread.;)

Album five didn't start "in earnest", says Champion, until last March only to be scrapped and started afresh three months later. Early pledges by Martin that this record would be "acoustic" and 'subdued" fell by the wayside. "We're prone to saying things before we write an album that prove to be totally wrong," the drummer explains. "There came a point last summer when we realised we had different types of songs in various styles, so rather than make an album that's all stripped down we decided to throw everything into the one basket. It's true we scrapped stuff, but a lot of those songs became antecedents of what you'll hear on the finished album. It's all part of our musical evolutionary process." (Q Magazine - September 2011)

I was just wondering if anyone of you can tell my why they didn't produce an acoustic and more quiet album like "Parachutes" (like planned before)? When i first read news about LP5 a year ago, i read an interview of Chris talking about a stripped down record like their first album what made me really happy because this is my favourite album. But when ETIAW was published it turned out that it's totally different (not that i don't like their new songs, they're great!)...

Do you have any idea why?

Greetings from Germany! :)

(sorry for language mistakes)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the most official answer is the one you're quoting from Q Magazine.

It is normal for bands to have an initial idea and then change it during the recording sessions.

At last, they decided to make an album with different kind of songs, and maybe Us Against The World was part of that initial acoustic and stripped down album.

^I like their idea to include quiet songs and also songs of their new style,looking forward to their new record!

And right editor42, i personally felt very happy too when i heard "Us against the World" and also "Moving to Mars". It made me feel like they haven't forgotten their "quiet style"...

Welcome to Coldplaying! :) I'm glad that they changed their mind about the stripped down album because I was afraid that they were going to repeat themselves by making a Parachutes 2 or an unplugged album (which I really dislike because usually a musician does an unplugged album when he runs out of ideas)

^I like their idea to include quiet songs and also songs of their new style,looking forward to their new record!

And right editor42, i personally felt very happy too when i heard "Us against the World" and also "Moving to Mars". It made me feel like they haven't forgotten their "quiet style"...

yeah

it's like their signature that quiet music with good lyrics (compared to ETTIAW it's not that hard:p)

yeah. here's a few reasons.

1. as you've said, EP evolution

2. EMI pressure...its just there and they have to deal with it.

3. producers...

i wouldn't be surprised if they did something like a 2nd release as they did before...

I'm all for an acoustic album. I'd even love to see some acoustic versions of songs that are already on the EP (or will be...)

There is that thing the Peirces said too, that they had an album done and started over. I guess they started over on the acoustic, maybe keeping a few tracks (Us Against The World?), but maybe the songs will show up on an EP, a future anthology type thing, or at least the internet.

yeah. here's a few reasons.

1. as you've said, EP evolution

2. EMI pressure...its just there and they have to deal with it.

3. producers...

i wouldn't be surprised if they did something like a 2nd release as they did before...

I'm all for an acoustic album. I'd even love to see some acoustic versions of songs that are already on the EP (or will be...)

I think the 2. and 3. point are the main reasons...

TO stay marketable (and to sell out arenas) they can't put out another "Parachutes." And I really doubt that the pressure from EMI dictates the creative process. EMI screws over everybody by doing things like making us by ETIAW 3+ times for no damn reason.

TO stay marketable (and to sell out arenas) they can't put out another "Parachutes." And I really doubt that the pressure from EMI dictates the creative process. EMI screws over everybody by doing things like making us by ETIAW 3+ times for no damn reason.