✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

In My Place cover by me..

PointZero

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyL5in5LX6Q&feature=channel_video_title]‪In My Place Cover‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Recorded with a USB Logtiech Headset that was like $40 haha.. and made in Mixcraft 5.0, and the video was made in Windows Movie Maker. Tell me what you think! Oh, and the bridge was kinda made up... haha.

you bumped your own tread with a new account?

wait.. hmm

anyway,

Far better then I expected actually,

ok, your voice isn't top notch,

but with some practise I think you can improve that

(negative: I don;t like the part 2:17-2:40)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh my eeeeears, i think i'm deaf now ._________________________.

well: first of all, you should get the chords right (!!!), and the rhythm (also strumming pattern) and the timing, and the lead guitar, and your singing needs a lot of improvement*. also, leave out the "backing" kind of thing towards the end (2:17 +) , i don't know what you were thinking there.

obviously, a better microphone is inevitable! way not enough bass.

* the notes are wrong most of the time, your voice is breaking sometimes or going really shaky, and the lyrics are wrong partly ... plus, your pronounciation is terrible sometimes, e.g. "how long must you wait FOR IT" sounds like "forehead" >__<

With some more rehearsing and changes it could be a much better recording.

This wasn't as bad as I expected, tho it's not even close to good.

Let me start about the big picture of the cover.

What happened with your guitars? I mean, did you tune them tons of octaves higher?

What for microphone are you using and where do you place it?

I'm asking you this because in your recording it seems like you cut all of the low frequentions from the guitars and boosted the highs.

The vocals don't fit on the guitar recordings. It seems like they are completely different recordings, different place, different mics, big quality difference(too big).

The vocals are slightly off-tune all over the cover and some parts even way off.

This will be solved by recording the guitar, mix it in a right way(in case this sound came from lack of quality and lack of mixing care) boost the lows and mids and cut some highs from the guitars. If you don't know how, PM me with a clean recording of the guitars(I'll only help you with that if you have tried.)

Record the lead vocal while listening to the guitar track in your earphones.

Put on the monitor in your headphones for the vocals so you can hear the guitars and vocals together(tip: pan the guitars slightly to the left and vocals slightly to the right to be able to hear easier in case it gets off tune).

Do NOT mix the vocals and guitars together in one track, create a complete project off it in your recording software(wich are you using?)

If some places the vocals still are slightly off tune, let it there.. software can do the trick but only if it's slightly out of tune and not the whole song.

Record your vocals 3 to 5 times and pick the best recording, in case all of them have places where it is slightly out of tune, mix the recordings till all wrong parts are covered!

When everything is recorded and mixed the way you want it, make a render of the project, and listen to it on your cd player, this can make mistakes more clear.

When you are happy with the results, post it again. If you followed up everything I've explained in this post, it will improve very well.

I'm saying all of this because your voice has something, it's not just an out-of-the-box voice. It could be much and much better with more care for the song.

Plus, take care with the reverb. All over the song there is a lack of reverb untill where the bridge starts.

The vocals has it's overused reverb but the guitar still sounds as dry and cranky as all over the song.

Here comes another tip: NEVER put the much reverb, most beginners think that more reverb is better. But it is NOT better.

Also while making the mix, don't make it loud.. just make the mix.

This means, put the instruments on it's right place, right amount of reverb, give each instrument their right EQ settings. The mixing is NOT mastering. This also means, don't put any effects to the master track.

So this total project will end up as this pattern:

1. Rhythm guitar

2. Lead guitar

3. Backing vocals low

4. Backing vocals high

5. Lead vocals

I hope this will help you and you won't have questions like: what is all of this?

To make it all sound right and how it suppose to be you need experience, it will take lots of time, good ears and learning.

Like myself. I wrote tons of songs, 3 albums ONLY for learning, practice and experience in studio work.

It took me years to learn as much as I could.

And now I'm working on my first album with the experience of all processes that a album takes.

From writing to making a complete album master.

With some more rehearsing and changes it could be a much better recording.

This wasn't as bad as I expected, tho it's not even close to good.

Let me start about the big picture of the cover.

What happened with your guitars? I mean, did you tune them tons of octaves higher?

What for microphone are you using and where do you place it?

I'm asking you this because in your recording it seems like you cut all of the low frequentions from the guitars and boosted the highs.

The vocals don't fit on the guitar recordings. It seems like they are completely different recordings, different place, different mics, big quality difference(too big).

The vocals are slightly off-tune all over the cover and some parts even way off.

This will be solved by recording the guitar, mix it in a right way(in case this sound came from lack of quality and lack of mixing care) boost the lows and mids and cut some highs from the guitars. If you don't know how, PM me with a clean recording of the guitars(I'll only help you with that if you have tried.)

Record the lead vocal while listening to the guitar track in your earphones.

Put on the monitor in your headphones for the vocals so you can hear the guitars and vocals together(tip: pan the guitars slightly to the left and vocals slightly to the right to be able to hear easier in case it gets off tune).

Do NOT mix the vocals and guitars together in one track, create a complete project off it in your recording software(wich are you using?)

If some places the vocals still are slightly off tune, let it there.. software can do the trick but only if it's slightly out of tune and not the whole song.

Record your vocals 3 to 5 times and pick the best recording, in case all of them have places where it is slightly out of tune, mix the recordings till all wrong parts are covered!

When everything is recorded and mixed the way you want it, make a render of the project, and listen to it on your cd player, this can make mistakes more clear.

When you are happy with the results, post it again. If you followed up everything I've explained in this post, it will improve very well.

I'm saying all of this because your voice has something, it's not just an out-of-the-box voice. It could be much and much better with more care for the song.

Plus, take care with the reverb. All over the song there is a lack of reverb untill where the bridge starts.

The vocals has it's overused reverb but the guitar still sounds as dry and cranky as all over the song.

Here comes another tip: NEVER put the much reverb, most beginners think that more reverb is better. But it is NOT better.

Also while making the mix, don't make it loud.. just make the mix.

This means, put the instruments on it's right place, right amount of reverb, give each instrument their right EQ settings. The mixing is NOT mastering. This also means, don't put any effects to the master track.

So this total project will end up as this pattern:

1. Rhythm guitar

2. Lead guitar

3. Backing vocals low

4. Backing vocals high

5. Lead vocals

I hope this will help you and you won't have questions like: what is all of this?

To make it all sound right and how it suppose to be you need experience, it will take lots of time, good ears and learning.

Like myself. I wrote tons of songs, 3 albums ONLY for learning, practice and experience in studio work.

It took me years to learn as much as I could.

And now I'm working on my first album with the experience of all processes that a album takes.

From writing to making a complete album master.

Well, I thought it was quite nice...

Well, I thought it was quite nice...

I'm not saying it's very bad but I'm saying that it could be improved very well.

If you put the volume loud it will hurt your ears, there the mixing problems starts.

Cuting the over the top highs will solve that problem.

If these problems didn't appear than he didn't need the bump in the thread :)

I'm sure that many people listened but clicked it away pretty fast because of their ears.

Okay, thank you for everyone who gave constructive criticism. For anyone wondering, the chords I used were, (A, some A variation, E major) (D, A, E major) I think they sounded okay, but I wasn't aiming for perfect because this was the first time I recorded myself doing anything and I was more or less doing it to prove to myself that I had the balls to do it. And this was all recorded on a $30 USB Headset. I can't really do much about the overall quality, but I can mix it better by bringing out the mid's and lo's. And about the program I'm using, I'm using Mixcraft 5. And everyone doesn't seem to like the bridge, but eh, I thought I'd try to add a twist to the song or something. Sorry if you didn't like it, but I didn't make it for you. But a big thanks to PianoRocker for giving a LOT of constructive criticism. I'll definitely do all you're telling me. However, I hate to pull this card, but that song really is hard for me to sing (the chorus more than anything) because it's kinda at the top of my range.. But oh well, I'll do a different song and take into account everything that's been said. Once again, this is my first time doing this, so everyone who refused to say anything constructive is a bit immature and out of their place (...yeah I just said that). Oh well, thanks again.

But obviously some people will love it, others will think that it destroyed their ears in an array of ungodly pain and torture. I can't appease everyone. So all I can really do is practice and hope that people notice that I'm trying hard.. I've still got a while to develop my voice and guitar skills (I'm 14), so maybe in the future it'll be a lot better or something.

If this is your first recording than it's actually even better! :)

But still don't give up even if this song is at the top of your range.

It will help you to increase your range instead of only singing songs that are in your range!

Keep hanging in this song, keep recording untill you can sing it in tune without any problems.

Even Chris Martin himselfs has this.

Check the Viva la Vida(song) recording, and the first live versions. He had many troubles to get it in tune.

However if you check the recordings from a later period the troubles disappeared.

That doesn't mean it was out of his range but because there was probably a long period between the recording and playing live his voice was not trained well for the first gigs.

That is also the reason of the secret and little gigs they play before the big shows.

Don't give up. Sing this song at least once a day every day and record it 3 or 4 times a week.

Keep the recordings and after 4 or 5 weeks after the start listen to the first and last recording, it should be improved!

Than pick another song that is just on the edge of your range and keep on going.

This will train your voice to be able to expand your range.

Just sing every day, also when you listen music, just sing with it, even if it's out of your range.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Vocals are very very out of tune. The chorus have beaten you to the ground actually. But it isn't something that can't be improved. As the others said: Work on your voice, then it will be good. I like the timbre but your reach is not so wide it seems. In contrast to Strikie I did like the bridge kind of thing. Chords for the chorus are right but the verse... Official sheet music says that there are some C#m and F#m. So aim for that next time. Hope to see a better result.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh my eeeeears, i think i'm deaf now ._________________________.

well: first of all, you should get the chords right (!!!), and the rhythm (also strumming pattern) and the timing, and the lead guitar, and your singing needs a lot of improvement*. also, leave out the "backing" kind of thing towards the end (2:17 +) , i don't know what you were thinking there.

obviously, a better microphone is inevitable! way not enough bass.

* the notes are wrong most of the time, your voice is breaking sometimes or going really shaky, and the lyrics are wrong partly ... plus, your pronounciation is terrible sometimes, e.g. "how long must you wait FOR IT" sounds like "forehead" >__<

I don't see why it's neccessary to say it that way and why it's so hard to judge a cover (it's a cover, not a remake) without expecting it to be better than the original.

I also think he really could improve his playing and singing (although I like the alternate chords), but I don't think it's that bad (and even if I would, I wouldn't say it like you did.)