✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hey Coldplay, this is your Joshua Tree moment, don't mess it up.

MrMagpie

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh. Touched a nerve.

If you're idea of class comedy is Bill Bailey then god help you lonely troll boy. Run along now!

I'm the troll? After what you've just done here?

BACK ON TOPIC- to explain it to you yet again- The Edge almost solely has relied on guitar effects to make him sound like an accomplished guitarist, which is very clever, but he is shit, without such effects he would be restricted to playing very basic stuff.

That's the point I've made twice, the point Bailey made in that video, and I don't know why the fuck you are actually responding because you've made no points whatsoever apart from your irrelevant view on Bill Bailey (And AGAIN- I know I posted a video of Bailey but that was directly related to the discussion and the point he clearly made in his video- you'd have to be a fucking retard not to realise the point he was making- oh wait, nevermind).

Guest howyousawtheworld
I'm the troll? After what you've just done here?

BACK ON TOPIC- to explain it to you yet again- The Edge almost solely has relied on guitar effects to make him sound like an accomplished guitarist, which is very clever, but he is shit, without such effects he would be restricted to playing very basic stuff.

That's the point I've made twice, the point Bailey made in that video, and I don't know why the fuck you are actually responding because you've made no points whatsoever apart from your irrelevant view on Bill Bailey (And AGAIN- I know I posted a video of Bailey but that was directly related to the discussion and the point he clearly made in his video- you'd have to be a fucking retard not to realise the point he was making- oh wait, nevermind).

YAWN. You've called me a retard twice (fucking retard - getting nasty). Got anything interesting to say? Or are you just going to post yet more irrelevence? Given your history on this site I suggest the latter.

Anyway I'm off to bed. You should go as well.

Laters dude.

Haha I find it hard to declare members of rock bands good musicians in terms of oh they can play the piano or guitar better than person x. I mean if you boil it down, my sister is a better piano player than Chris Martin. She goes to university and music is her undergrad. Or somebody like Santana or some other guitar virtuoso is a better guitar player than the Edge for example. But really that doesn't decide who I like better or why I enjoy them.

Some people like orange juice, some prefer apple juice

I hate both. :|

You could also compare this to Madonna as Coldplay's "Erotica" moment.

gfdsgoiufdhufdahgkjgahdkjdshgkjfdahgkdhsf

[/excellent contribution to thread]

YAWN. You've called me a retard twice (fucking retard - getting nasty). Got anything interesting to say? Or are you just going to post yet more irrelevence? Given your history on this site I suggest the latter.

Anyway I'm off to bed. You should go as well.

Laters dude.

Of course all my posts would seem irrelevant to you if you only focus on buzz words like 'retard', I made a point and you took it upon yourself to start chatting a load of shit as usual to drag the discussion all over the place.

What is actually irrelevant is your contribution, in which we've learned- you don't like Bill Bailey, when everyones talking about U2 or Coldplays musical ability. This discussion had nothing to do with Bailey just the point that he made (And oddly you said he didn't make a point when clearly he did have an argument beyond the humour you find so shit) about Edge, that's what the discussion was about, so yes, get some sleep because it sounds like you need some, and come back on tomorrow, read this, and cop out as usual and don't reply.

Haha I find it hard to declare members of rock bands good musicians in terms of oh they can play the piano or guitar better than person x. I mean if you boil it down, my sister is a better piano player than Chris Martin. She goes to university and music is her undergrad. Or somebody like Santana or some other guitar virtuoso is a better guitar player than the Edge for example. But really that doesn't decide who I like better or why I enjoy them.

I agree completely, so I don't understand why people argue about the musical ability of artists like Coldplay or U2 when they have been popular for being creative, their musical ability means fuck all. The riff to In My Place or chords for The Scientist are about as basic as musical ability can get, it's the final product of everything around it that counts.

Coldplay's always been a facade, there has never been any true substance within the music they create, it's always been designed to vaguely appeal to the masses in a very clever and cunning subtle way, but it's actually just shit. The Scientist is a prime example, that song is worth nothing.

But hey back on topic, people- don't argue that Coldplay OR U2 are brilliant musicians when they simply aren't, it doesn't even matter anyway.

Boring Coldplay songs:

High Speed

Sparks

We Never Change

A Whisper

What If

Square One

Speed of Sound

Twisted Logic

Life In Technicolour

Lost!

Lover In Japan/Reign of Love

Well that depends. The songs you listed really make me think you are a coldplay for chris martins voice, and a good beat.

I like coldplay for their musicality. Some of my favorite songs are their instrumentals.

Two of my favorites are Life in Technicolour and Famous Old Painters. That to me is music and the true test of a band. Anyone can replay the same 2 measure melody and sing over it. Thats all music is today, what sets a band apart is how they craft their music and their albums. Life in Technicolor was the best part of Viva IMO.

I agree completely, so I don't understand why people argue about the musical ability of artists like Coldplay or U2 when they have been popular for being creative, their musical ability means fuck all. The riff to In My Place or chords for The Scientist are about as basic as musical ability can get, it's the final product of everything around it that counts.

Coldplay's always been a facade, there has never been any true substance within the music they create, it's always been designed to vaguely appeal to the masses in a very clever and cunning subtle way, but it's actually just shit. The Scientist is a prime example, that song is worth nothing.

But hey back on topic, people- don't argue that Coldplay OR U2 are brilliant musicians when they simply aren't, it doesn't even matter anyway.

You strike me as a loser hipster. Anything mainstream you do not like. I may be wrong but I sense that you are.

I revert to my previous statement. Listen to famous old painters and then say they arnt good musicians. That is music at its core. A beautiful melody.

and yes you are a troll

YOUR ON A COLDPLAY FANSITE SAYING COLDPLAY SUCKS.

If that isnt trolling I dunno what is..

It is true. If music was based off talent and how good someone was at an instrument then none of the popular artists over the last few years would be popular.

I do think that Coldplay does have relatively simple songs, but I find their simple arrangements work so well. And the overall sound too (of course I'm mainly talking about their first two albums)

I love both bands. But it's obvious that Coldplay is not in his Joshua Tree moment. Yeah, it's their 5th album but their careers have developed in a very different way. U2 growed a lot on every new album in the 80's. I think their 3 first albums (Boy, October and War) are not specially brilliant (though War includes master piece Sunday Bloody Sunday) and they began to be brilliant since their 4th album, The Unforgettable Fire (although it's an irregular album), and with the Joshua Tree they finally reach perfection (and with their 6th album they reinvented amazingly with Achtung Baby).

But Coldplay has a more "static" career. I think their 4 albums are very similar in quality. Maybe AROBTTH has the brightest highlights but as a whole it is no master piece. and though Coldplay are as lovely as U2 I think they have a lack of a truly classic album as U2's Joshua and Achtung. And I'm afraid MX is not going to be thair truly classic album.

Anyway, both bands are far away from the best band ever. The Beatles? Nop. Radiohead? Nop.

Correct answer:

No frickin' way, dude.

They're great, but The National has absolutely nothing that could even BEGIN to rival Sgt. Pepper's, Revolover, OK Computer or Kid A. Nor Abbey Road, The Bends, In Rainbows, the White Album or Amnesiac, come to think of it...

its silly trying to compare two artists from different eras the two bands are fine is like comparing maradona with pele in football. coldplay dont need to do a joshua three or anything compared to that. they have their own way. personally i dont think in u2 when im listening to coldplay.

if you think u2 is greater go out and post in u2 forums this is a coldplay site i dont know what are you doing here. we dont need to discuss why we like coldplay more than u2.

if you think u2 is greater go out and post in u2 forums this is a coldplay site i dont know what are you doing here. we dont need to discuss why we like coldplay more than u2.

Because it is possible for people to like both bands, AND, believe it or not, to share their opinion on why one is better? This is the internet bud, expect people to disagree with you. :lol:

I like Radiohead better than Coldplay (I still love Coldplay), but I still enjoy coming to this forum and chatting. :shrug:

It is true. If music was based off talent and how good someone was at an instrument then none of the popular artists over the last few years would be popular.

Of course, even the Beatles (Sorry Mike, so sorry) were not amazing musicians, I'm really good at guitar and decent at piano, learning Beatles songs has always been more fun instead of challenging.

Well that depends. The songs you listed really make me think you are a coldplay for chris martins voice, and a good beat.

I like coldplay for their musicality. Some of my favorite songs are their instrumentals.

Two of my favorites are Life in Technicolour and Famous Old Painters. That to me is music and the true test of a band. Anyone can replay the same 2 measure melody and sing over it. Thats all music is today, what sets a band apart is how they craft their music and their albums. Life in Technicolor was the best part of Viva IMO.

You strike me as a loser hipster. Anything mainstream you do not like. I may be wrong but I sense that you are.

I revert to my previous statement. Listen to famous old painters and then say they arnt good musicians. That is music at its core. A beautiful melody.

and yes you are a troll

What a waste of 3 minutes and 23 seconds that was.

The discussion was about musical ability, not musical creativity. You need to pay more attention.

As for me being a loser hipster, I appreciate good song writing regardless of where it comes from, from Martin Solveig's "Hello" to The Saturdays "Up", I'm not afraid of liking mainstream music. But I despise music (Especially from bands) who want to adhere to what sounds right on the radio, my main point was that the songs Coldplay write are shit, but they've been presented in a way that makes them seem like a deep, meaningful, thought provoking band, they aren't.

and yes you are a troll

I disagree with you completely. Firstly I've known Briggins for a while and he's not a hipster and likes a whole bunch of mainstream alternative bands like U2, Radiohead, Coldplay, and Arcade Fire.

Also maybe the arrangements of songs are good, but in general Coldplay as well as so many other bands aren't really good musicians when you compare them to jazz artists or unknown musician virtuosos. These people are super talented and will never get to be popular because the music they play is way too complex.

And saying coldplay sucks on a coldplay fansite is not being a troll... you don't have to love everything a band releases to be a fan. Plus there are many other sections to the forum

Of course, even the Beatles (Sorry Mike, so sorry) were not amazing musicians, I'm really good at guitar and decent at piano, learning Beatles songs has always been more fun instead of challenging.

I will agree with you almost fully. were they all amazing musicians? no. Paul McCartney I would say was amazing because he was a multi-instrumentalist and composer and was amazing at bass playing. He was the only extremely talented member of the band. The other members, don't get me wrong I love the Beatles more than so many other bands, but they were pretty mediocre. They were just able to write really catchy, popular and interesting songs.

^You're just mad because you don't want to accept the fact that U2 are more accomplished.

U2 has been around since 1976, coldplay has been around since 1998, and U2 isn't that much bigger than coldplay. So in terms of rise to fame & success, coldplay wins.