✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hey Coldplay, this is your Joshua Tree moment, don't mess it up.

MrMagpie

Oh seeing the quote there reminded me- Chris Martin is NOT an incredibly exceptional piano player, where the hell are people getting this from? Coldplay songs were the first ones I learned on piano along with Beatles, because they were so fucking easy and even a person whos never touched a piano could learn those songs within a few days or 1 week maximum (Yes literally).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiBn3Ppstk]The Hardest Part/Postcards From Far Away (live) - YouTube[/ame]

Dear Troll, listen to 'Hardest Part', 'Postcards From Far Away', 'Amsterdam', 'Everything's Not Lost', and 'Glass Of Water'. Sure, I can play these on the piano too, doesn't make him any less of an exceptional piano player. He's not Mozart, I'm not calling him Matthew Bellamy either, but don't go to one extreme and say he's not exceptional just to be argumentative and trollish. It's much better than anything U2's lead singer can do. I think you're just caught up with songs like 'Clocks', 'The Scientist' and things like 'Speed of Sound', which sound cool, but aren't very hard.

I'm glad you can figure out Coldplay's stuff on the piano. You must be a real maestro.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with you almost fully. were they all amazing musicians? no. Paul McCartney I would say was amazing because he was a multi-instrumentalist and composer and was amazing at bass playing. He was the only extremely talented member of the band. The other members, don't get me wrong I love the Beatles more than so many other bands, but they were pretty mediocre. They were just able to write really catchy, popular and interesting songs.

Um, the reason all 4 of the beatles are talented is because they basically turned an entire genre into pop music. They took the rock and roll they were listening to as kids and took it to another level. Nobody can say that since the beatles existed. They were also way ahead of their time in terms of playing and recording technique. Innovators.

And as for paul being the only truly talented member, that is so false. A lot of the time the others would help write songs. Octopus's garden is one of my favourites, and thats a Ringo tune. And sure, Paul played multiple instruments. So did the other guys... they just didn't get to showcase it on tour. Did you know John recorded all of the tracks on "Come Together" (minus the drums)?

IMHO, complex does not equals genius. What I like in Coldplay, there are "layers" of music - piano, guitar, bass, drums which play different melodies but interact brilliantly. The Hardest Part as an example. Each part may be very easy but how it all sounds together makes those "spark".

And, as I've read somewhere and really liked this point - soft rock is usually easy to play, but try to compose something like that.

And saying coldplay sucks on a coldplay fansite is not being a troll... you don't have to love everything a band releases to be a fan. Plus there are many other sections to the forum

Wait a minute. Those first two sentences contradict each other.

It's all well and good to not love or to critique output from the band. That still makes you a fan. But saying a statement like 'coldplay sucks' on a fansite indicates that you have a completely negative view of the band and that you are a non-fan. What you said doesn't make any sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I haven't read nothing of "Coldplay sucks"

He said that Coldplay and U2 aren't brilliant musicians and that's right.Coldplays songs aren't musical masterpieces,they are catchy and easy to listen but nothing more.The only thing I disagree,is calling The Scientist shit but everyone have diferent opinions xD

For me,they have talent but no musically speaking.

I dont mind it anyway because I like most of their songs and thats the only important thing for me

I disagree with you completely. Firstly I've known Briggins for a while and he's not a hipster and likes a whole bunch of mainstream alternative bands like U2, Radiohead, Coldplay, and Arcade Fire.

Also maybe the arrangements of songs are good, but in general Coldplay as well as so many other bands aren't really good musicians when you compare them to jazz artists or unknown musician virtuosos. These people are super talented and will never get to be popular because the music they play is way too complex.

And saying coldplay sucks on a coldplay fansite is not being a troll... you don't have to love everything a band releases to be a fan. Plus there are many other sections to the forum

I was quoting Rielly or whatever his name is but whatever.

Um, the reason all 4 of the beatles are talented is because they basically turned an entire genre into pop music. They took the rock and roll they were listening to as kids and took it to another level. Nobody can say that since the beatles existed. They were also way ahead of their time in terms of playing and recording technique. Innovators.

And as for paul being the only truly talented member, that is so false. A lot of the time the others would help write songs. Octopus's garden is one of my favourites, and thats a Ringo tune. And sure, Paul played multiple instruments. So did the other guys... they just didn't get to showcase it on tour. Did you know John recorded all of the tracks on "Come Together" (minus the drums)?

You are confusing songwriting capabilities with musical playing capabilities. Both are completely different. I'm not discrediting The Beatles at all, because they have been my overall favorite band ever. Of course they were innovators, and helped initiate and shape our modern looking of pop music. But I disagree that no one has been able to take music to another level since The Beatles. If that was the case we'd still be listening to 60's music.

Like I said you're confusing musical talent for songwriting talent. All of The Beatles were talented in songwriting and in the context of the band they worked well. I'm saying if you took any of the members out of their band environment and only listened to them play they're not hugely musically talented. I mean they are talented, but they're not like virtuosos or anything. Like I said McCartney is by far the only extremely talented member of the band. Whether it be his extremely melodic basslines, guitar playing, playing multiple instruments, arrangement/composition of orchestral work or whatever. I'm just saying if you compared them or any really popular artist to a really talented musician like any jazz artist it'd be a joke.

What I'm trying to get at is that you don't have to be overly talented in playing an instrument to make a lot of money and be popular. Even so I'm not trying to call The Beatles or any other band bad or anything.

Also John didn't record all the tracks on Come Together, it was the whole band. In fact almost all of his songs, including solo work, (except for maybe acoustic songs), was recorded with a band. Paul on the other hand released full solo albums like McCartney, Ram, McCartney II, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, Electronic Arguments in which he played nearly if not all instruments

Wait a minute. Those first two sentences contradict each other.

It's all well and good to not love or to critique output from the band. That still makes you a fan. But saying a statement like 'coldplay sucks' on a fansite indicates that you have a completely negative view of the band and that you are a non-fan. What you said doesn't make any sense.

I don't see how the contradict themselves at all.

You don't have to love everything about a band. And saying that they "suck" doesn't mean that you are not a fan of the band either. Personally I'm not really a fan of their last few releases and I can say that the band sucks with songs like Teardrop and Violet Hill. That doesn't mean that I'm not a fan of the band, being that I love their first two albums as well as a bunch of other songs scattered since then, and have seen them live more than any other artist.

And my second sentance was saying that there are much other places on this forum to talk (WoM, Lounge, News) besides it only being about Coldplay.

I was quoting Rielly or whatever his name is but whatever.

alright, just how you had it set up it made it seem as though you were splitting up a quote by briggins. But even so I have to agree with what Reilly has been saying thus far about musical talent.

Fact - coldplaying will never be a good place to have a debate about music because enough people on here like only mainstream bands AND they often confuse what it is to be a mainstream band. People can be a bit immature on this site. Which is fine. Everyone has been at one point or another. It just means that an intelligent debate about music cannot take place here. Too many people confuse having an opinion with knowing something.

Hey now, Jonny Buckland is just as good as The Edge (better, in my humble opinion). He just doesn't like to show off--he could totally shred if he wanted to, but he doesn't like to draw attention to himself. :nod: Shy personality, and all.

I actually get the feeling that he doesn't "shred" because he can't actually shred.

Hence the boring Coldplay guitar solos.

Anyway, I don't find the members of Coldplay or U2 to be very talented, but I agree that they work well together and make music that many people like.

simple minds was better than u2 in the 80's. u2 coppied some musical arrengments and some instrumental thinks that simple minds introduce to us u2 is a good band but for me isnt that good better say this ''this is your seargent pepper coldplay dont mess it up''

Fact - coldplaying will never be a good place to have a debate about music because enough people on here like only mainstream bands AND they often confuse what it is to be a mainstream band. People can be a bit immature on this site. Which is fine. Everyone has been at one point or another. It just means that an intelligent debate about music cannot take place here. Too many people confuse having an opinion with knowing something.

I wouldnt say that we (especially me) like only mainstream bands. Coldplay and the Killers I like. I do not listen to the radio or youtube views. I listen to what I like. Whether it is mainstream or not. I have thrown the term "mainstream" out the window because it has become a stupid term. Its somehow bad to like mainstream music (in alot of peoples views). I listen to what sounds good. Whether it be Coldplay or the Fossil Collective. I just dont think the word mainstream should be used anymore. Every band strives to be popular, because that is the goal. You get more fans, and you make music that more people listen to. But once a band achieves that, they are "sell outs" or they get VEVO accounts. Im sorry but somehow being good at what you do makes you bad. Its a catch 22. How can a band be succesful today then?

I just say we forget mainstream and just listen to what we like.

Im also no Mainstream Fan.

Coldplay is not really Mainstream for me though but thats different for everyone.

I listen to Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin etc. i really love such bands who dont try to fit in the typical "Bandimage".

Mainstream is just a poor way to show Music without own Ideas, thats where Coldplay doesnt fit... sure they use Samples of others sometimes but hey.. who doesnt these days.

But the Rest of Coldplay' Music is absoluty Brilliant in their own Style.

Im also no Mainstream Fan.

Coldplay is not really Mainstream for me though but thats different for everyone.

I listen to Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin etc. i really love such bands who dont try to fit in the typical "Bandimage".

Mainstream is just a poor way to show Music without own Ideas, thats where Coldplay doesnt fit... sure they use Samples of others sometimes but hey.. who doesnt these days.

But the Rest of Coldplay' Music is absoluty Brilliant in their own Style.

Queen, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin not fitting the typical band image? :lol: they were artists that made the whole band image... especially Led Zeppelin (look at all the 80's hair metal bands).

I also really disagree with your second statement. Bands like The Beatles were mainstream, but they still showed their ideas as well as other bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd too. They may have not been as mainstream as the Top 40 artists, but they still were incredibly popular.

In fact I also disagree with the samples thing too. I could argue that since sampling is so popular today that Coldplay are using it to be popular. To be honest I feel that Coldplay is more about wanting to be popular than anything else. I mean just read that article posted here http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7556

If they weren't trying to be popular I'm sure they wouldn't even have mentioned not being able to compete with artists like Gaga or Timberlake or whoever.

LOL.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

If you say Queen was Mainstream ok...but Pink Floyd?

You even know what Mainstream means?

If you think of the 1970's you think of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd... so yes... mainstream.

Also Pink Floyd was very mainstream especially when they released DSOTM, which has the record for being on the charts for the longest time ever (like I don't know how many years).

If you think of the 1970's you think of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd... so yes... mainstream.

Also Pink Floyd was very mainstream especially when they released DSOTM, which has the record for being on the charts for the longest time ever (like I don't know how many years).

"Dark Side of the Moon" = Mainstream?

What the F*** man.

Mainstream means they compose songs like any other songs (Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus for an example)

And "Dark Side of the Moon" was totally different few weird instrumentals deep lyrics etc.

I dont know why you say that was typical Mainstream.

They are all commercially known and also commercially successful, so yeah they are mainstream bands.

No, they were successful because they made Music like no other Bands before.

I agree some Songs were Mainstream but the most Songs they composed none else ever heard in any form..

like 1 of my all time Favourite "Bohemian Rhapsody".

"Dark Side of the Moon" = Mainstream?

What the F*** man.

Mainstream means they compose songs like any other songs (Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus for an example)

And "Dark Side of the Moon" was totally different few weird instrumentals deep lyrics etc.

I dont know why you say that was typical Mainstream.

No, they were successful because they made Music like no other Bands before.

I agree some Songs were Mainstream but the most Songs they composed none else ever heard in any form..

like 1 of my all time Favourite "Bohemian Rhapsody".

:lol:

Mainstream is anything that is popular. It has nothing to do with how songs are written.

A song like Money by Pink Floyd is very unconventional in terms of it's arrangement for a Pop song. But almost anytime you hear Floyd on the radio that song is played.

Also Bohemian Rhapsody is incredibly mainstream too

Hey now, Jonny Buckland is just as good as The Edge (better, in my humble opinion). He just doesn't like to show off--he could totally shred if he wanted to, but he doesn't like to draw attention to himself. :nod: Shy personality, and all.

I think Edge is a lot better the Jonny! He plays in another league!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMw8NjCs_dg]U2's The Edge soundchecks his guitar rig (It Might Get Loud) - YouTube[/ame]