✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hey Coldplay, this is your Joshua Tree moment, don't mess it up.

MrMagpie

That's the Word.

Familiar.

The Songs which are Mainstream sound familiar like the other Songs.

No, they are familiar because they are popular. Lady Gaga's Bad Romance for example, would not be mainstream if it was only listened by 3 people. But since it was played 10 times per day by nearly all radio stations all over the world, most probably made it to bilboards (did it?) and you can't not know the lyrics even if you try, the song becomes mainstream.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Troll, listen to 'Hardest Part', 'Postcards From Far Away', 'Amsterdam', 'Everything's Not Lost', and 'Glass Of Water'. Sure, I can play these on the piano too, doesn't make him any less of an exceptional piano player. He's not Mozart, I'm not calling him Matthew Bellamy either, but don't go to one extreme and say he's not exceptional just to be argumentative and trollish. It's much better than anything U2's lead singer can do. I think you're just caught up with songs like 'Clocks', 'The Scientist' and things like 'Speed of Sound', which sound cool, but aren't very hard.

I'm glad you can figure out Coldplay's stuff on the piano. You must be a real maestro.

Are you mental? Why are you posting another youtube video without even explaining why? I can see you are a total moron, sarcastically calling me a real maestro and also taking the time to mention that you can play these songs too. Right.

I'm not saying he's not exceptional to be argumentative, I'm saying it because it's true, people in this thread have been saying he's on some other level of piano playing when he's not even a GOOD piano player, he's just OK, he is at the level of someone who practices now and then after about 6 months. So you're saying he's an exceptional piano player, right, and then go on to say he's not Matt Bellamy, so what type of piano player is Bellamy? Is he a "super exceptional" piano player? You're a dumbass.

Are you mental? Why are you posting another youtube video without even explaining why? I can see you are a total moron, sarcastically calling me a real maestro and also taking the time to mention that you can play these songs too. Right.

I'm not saying he's not exceptional to be argumentative, I'm saying it because it's true, people in this thread have been saying he's on some other level of piano playing when he's not even a GOOD piano player, he's just OK, he is at the level of someone who practices now and then after about 6 months. So you're saying he's an exceptional piano player, right, and then go on to say he's not Matt Bellamy, so what type of piano player is Bellamy? Is he a "super exceptional" piano player? You're a dumbass.

Yes Bellamy is exceptional, my mature and level-headed friend.

You are confusing songwriting capabilities with musical playing capabilities. Both are completely different. I'm not discrediting The Beatles at all, because they have been my overall favorite band ever. Of course they were innovators, and helped initiate and shape our modern looking of pop music. But I disagree that no one has been able to take music to another level since The Beatles. If that was the case we'd still be listening to 60's music.

Like I said you're confusing musical talent for songwriting talent. All of The Beatles were talented in songwriting and in the context of the band they worked well. I'm saying if you took any of the members out of their band environment and only listened to them play they're not hugely musically talented. I mean they are talented, but they're not like virtuosos or anything. Like I said McCartney is by far the only extremely talented member of the band. Whether it be his extremely melodic basslines, guitar playing, playing multiple instruments, arrangement/composition of orchestral work or whatever. I'm just saying if you compared them or any really popular artist to a really talented musician like any jazz artist it'd be a joke.

What I'm trying to get at is that you don't have to be overly talented in playing an instrument to make a lot of money and be popular. Even so I'm not trying to call The Beatles or any other band bad or anything.

Also John didn't record all the tracks on Come Together, it was the whole band. In fact almost all of his songs, including solo work, (except for maybe acoustic songs), was recorded with a band. Paul on the other hand released full solo albums like McCartney, Ram, McCartney II, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, Electronic Arguments in which he played nearly if not all instruments

Wow, you really don't know what you're talking about. There are many interviews stating McCartney's frustration with not being able to record anything on come together because John wanted to do it all. At this point in the beatles lifespan, there were barely a band. More or less 4 individuals releasing music under one name. All the McCartney albums you have named are his solo records post-beatles. So ofcourse he played most of the instruments.

As for the string compositions, they were done mostly by George Martin. Do some better research next time.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Wow, you really don't know what you're talking about. There are many interviews stating McCartney's frustration with not being able to record anything on come together because John wanted to do it all. At this point in the beatles lifespan, there were barely a band. More or less 4 individuals releasing music under one name. All the McCartney albums you have named are his solo records post-beatles. So ofcourse he played most of the instruments.

As for the string compositions, they were done mostly by George Martin. Do some better research next time.

It was piano and vocals that Paul was going to do but John took over on that song, I'm pretty sure. But I do believe that all members took part in that song. I think it's a bit overrated in Beatles' terms though.

simple minds was better than u2 in the 80's. u2 coppied some musical arrengments and some instrumental thinks that simple minds introduce to us u2 is a good band but for me isnt that good better say this ''this is your seargent pepper coldplay dont mess it up''

Oh yeah Simple Minds are pretty awesome, you see them in the news all the time. THey must have been really good for music. Gus you can go shove something sharp up your ass. I said the Joshua Tree as a reason so you can go ahead and make your own thread.

Im also no Mainstream Fan.

Coldplay is not really Mainstream for me though but thats different for everyone.

I listen to Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin etc. i really love such bands who dont try to fit in the typical "Bandimage".

Mainstream is just a poor way to show Music without own Ideas, thats where Coldplay doesnt fit... sure they use Samples of others sometimes but hey.. who doesnt these days.

But the Rest of Coldplay' Music is absoluty Brilliant in their own Style.

From reading your posts you seem to lack the ability to reason. I hear Pink Floyd on the radio all the time. They are mainstream. They are a popular band. That makes them mainstream. Maybe not all their songs are mainstream but the band is. And so is every other band you mentioned.

Oh yeah clearly I don't know what I'm talking about... I've just only listened to the band and read and watched documentaries about them almost all my life. :rolleyes:

I have books that have the Beatles recording sessions in detail and Come Together had the whole band. Also just listening to the songs you can just tell by the tone and style of the instruments who is playing what. Paul is definitely playing bass because Lennon's bass playing was never that complex. If you've listened to the band long enough you can tell who is playing what and Paul is playing bass and George guitar and Ringo drums.

I don't know where you heard that info from, but I bet McCartney was talking about how he wished there was more input from him on the song, since he was clearly playing instruments on the song.

Also you are wrong because at that time they decided to work together to make a final release which was Abbey Road. They decided to put all issues aside and work together for one last time. Yes in the past they recorded songs individually but not Abbey Road.

I brought up those McCartney solo albums because I was pointing out how he was the most talented member of the band, since you were saying how all the members were extremely talented overall. I was merely pointing out how he was the most talented member of the band and how the other members were mediocre in relation.

Yes a lot of string compositions were done by George Martin, but McCartney had a lot of input and composition within various pieces throughout his career, and I'm talking beyond The Beatles career. By the end of The Beatles he tried to have pretty much all creative control.

Maybe you should do more research next time.

Hey:rolleyes:, you gotta back a fellow New Yorker!:cool: Lennon was the epitome of creative genius, I mean comeon, he wrote & performed Imagine. It was Lennon and McCartney mostly, but certainly George and Ringo added their own excellent flavors to the mix. The subtleties exist, but I think they're pretty much on the same level of ability and contribution.

Apple Tree

Joshua Tee

Which tree best suits Coldplay?:)

Are you really questioning Mike's Beatles knowledge? :lol:

HEY MIKE YOU ARE A RADIOHEAD NOOB I KNOW WAY MORE THAN YOU ABOUT THEM :phu: :P

George was pretty cool, yeah. I think he was one of the principal sources of creative inspiration for the Beatles, brought them Indian music and a whole new palate of sounds and possibilities.

But which tree is coldplay's then? Maybe Christmas tree? Orange tree?

lol. I would think Co. [i saw someone else also call them Co. hehe - it's a nice coincidence.] fits well into Co.co.nut. Tree ?? if nut = crazy = passionate without any way back or less = as if this is always the last album/last thing to do.

This thread reads so funny, the beatles [There would be a new Documentary for George coming soon as well, by the right man Mr. Martin Scorsese] and all...I read somewhere that a reincarnated Beatles [with sons of George and John] might play for 2012 Olympic Game in London? For me, 60'-70' has a very unique/profound background that everyone born into have a sense of being "historical" afterwards; music is one of the most reflective media to convey such energies [uranus, Pluto, Neptune maybe] . My first and deepest impression is the background picture behind such music, even in different styles or techniques, more real and soul-reaching; R&R was born in a rocky time/space indeed. It doesn't mean 21th music is shallow or light, from some or many, life becomes more stable and easier although the contrast becomes more dramatic. To some extent, we all belong to certain period of time, U2, Co. and such are more compatible from this aspect. But I am glad to see Chris got some inspirations from Bruce Springsteen even Bob Dylan, could be a new stage of development in the art of writing and expressing [astrological set...]. Emotion power is not necessarily the most representable through emotion.

There is a thin line between being natural&real and common&not real enough, again, we've reproduced/reinvented music when we listen INto it and express what we feel OUT, already a personal 'breathing'. I don't know how to compare, as I cherish all these breathing IN/OUT moment, real and beautiful.

debating on then, sorry for my off-track parking.