✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hey Coldplay, this is your Joshua Tree moment, don't mess it up.

MrMagpie

Yeah I think it's funny when people think I made the thread to try and state that one band is better than the other.

Just pointing out that this is a pretty important release, if they can push themselves to that next level or if they will remain stagnant.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
Lemon U2 - YouTube[/url] Error #42

I've only now actually listened to it - pretty cool. :cool:

Question me all ya want, I likes it!:P

(some have said the album was a lemon, but I think it's pretty good actually!)

Lemon along with The Unforgettable Fire is my favourite song by U2.

About Bono's voice it isn't what it was and wasn't great on NLOTH or when 360 started. That said his voice had improved over that tour. Take the Rose Bowl dvd performance compared with Glasto this year and his voice was so much better at Glastonbury. In fact it was brilliant.

The Unforgettable Fire got U2 far on the charts with Pride (In The Name of Love), and VLVODAAHF got Coldplay far on the charts with Viva La Vida.

:thinking:

Coldplay is doing far better than U2 was in their first 4 albums (look at certifications. VLVODAAHF is already diamond in Mexico... but the internet has changed a lot) , hopefully MX is Coldplay's Joshua Tree (Arguably U2's best album aside from Achtung Baby). This would mean that Coldplay could definitely out-win U2 in the best band of the world earlier than expected-- that's if LP5 is good.

:thinking:

I love both bands. But it's obvious that Coldplay is not in his Joshua Tree moment. Yeah, it's their 5th album but their careers have developed in a very different way. U2 growed a lot on every new album in the 80's. I think their 3 first albums (Boy, October and War) are not specially brilliant (though War includes master piece Sunday Bloody Sunday) and they began to be brilliant since their 4th album, The Unforgettable Fire (although it's an irregular album), and with the Joshua Tree they finally reach perfection (and with their 6th album they reinvented amazingly with Achtung Baby).

But Coldplay has a more "static" career. I think their 4 albums are very similar in quality. Maybe AROBTTH has the brightest highlights but as a whole it is no master piece. and though Coldplay are as lovely as U2 I think they have a lack of a truly classic album as U2's Joshua and Achtung. And I'm afraid MX is not going to be thair truly classic album.

Anyway, both bands are far away from the best band ever. The Beatles? Nop. Radiohead? Nop.

Correct answer:

...Yes Briggs but the internet HAS changed a lot. :wtf:

I was just overwhelmed by the tedious link that they both had 4th albums that 'got far' on the chart, taking into consideration all of their previous albums also 'got far' on the chart. You could also compare this to Madonna as Coldplay's "Erotica" moment. :blank:

I like both tbf, I think bono has a better/more powerful voice than chris especially when he was younger, although chris does have a knack of sounding exceptional with what he has at his disposal. U2 also has The Edge a fantastic guitarist who I think overall has shown better qualities than johnny..... so far you never know wht mx has in store ;) but i do think chris writes better songs, because ovrall coldplay have 4 albums how many bad songs could you name? not many but u2 has some fantastic stuff but alot of average too. No doubt though both are top artists and on paper over sales and stuff u2 are winning for now but like people have being saying itll be a fair comparable test when coldplay match them for years :P

U2 writes great music, but they're aren't as talented as musicians. I read the book 'U2 By U2', and during their first ten years they couldn't help but pointing out how terrible of musicians they were; Adam Clayton --the bassist-- couldn't keep time with the drums (at one point they actually thought about kicking him out), Larry kept on doing simple drum beats and Bono was yelling more than singing. The Edge and The Edge's brother (who was later sacked from the band) were the only talented musicians. Over time, they all improved, and therefore were able to play more complicated music.

Chris Martin is an incredibly exceptional piano player, and he is a decent guitar player to add to that. His voice is below standard, but the music he writes (whereas it might not be as catchy) is very structured.

Coldplay's best band member is definitely Will Champion. He taught himself to play the drums so he could be in Coldplay. He also plays basically every instrument known to man. His timing is impeccable and his back-up vocals are incredibly sublime and harmonious.

The Edge beats Jonny. Jonny's great, but not only is the Edge a legend, his guitar work over the past 30-or-so years has never faltered. Jonny is great with catchy 'In My Place' riffs.

As for the bassists, Guy Berryman wins all-out over Adam Clayton. Hands down.

It is definitely a similar moment if only because viva la vida really did catapult them to the front of everyone's minds. Basically there's a lot riding on the success of the album - speaking critically and commercially. It really doesn't matter what anyone on this site thinks. We're already coldplay fans. What matters is if they get a lot more people to like them. I don't mean being mainstream. Cause despite what some people on this thread think...they already are that.

It is definitely a similar moment if only because viva la vida really did catapult them to the front of everyone's minds. Basically there's a lot riding on the success of the album - speaking critically and commercially. It really doesn't matter what anyone on this site thinks. We're already coldplay fans. What matters is if they get a lot more people to like them. I don't mean being mainstream. Cause despite what some people on this thread think...they already are that.

:rolleyes: Whaddaya mean it really doesn't matter what anyone on this site thinks??:stunned: You just don't know, do you?!?!:laugh3: If not mainstream, then feeder stream?

Wow now we're officially writing crap.

I'm not going to bother quoting.

Why exactly do people keep saying Jonny's a great guitarist?! There's no evidence of it, there's no reason given, and having a 'shy personality' isn't a reason, that's just hilarious. I laughed.

And since when has the Edge ever been considered a good guitarist?! Hahaha, he makes great use of very low guitar capabilities, this about sums it up:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ]Bill Bailey U2 - YouTube[/ame]

Clearly nobody debating musical ability here has touched a guitar before.

On Bono's voice, because they did North American stadiums his voice suffered greatly traveling through the South and Mid-West. Bono, as he found out in 1997 when they launched Popmart in Las Vegas, is allergic to a desert weed in the air and his voice suffered greatly.

On top of which years of smoking caught up to him and in 2000 had a cancer scare and had his vocal chords operated on. Bono's voice is better in the European climate for obvious reasons, more moisture in the air, however the second he hits a dry area it goes to shit.

Coldplay, took the world by storm with Viva La Vida and this is their last sure shot at the grand slam tour. They need to put on a show, since we all know they arent into Pearl Jam/Springsteen style simplistic shows. They are a lot like U2 in how they perform live and a comparison that is often overlooked greatly.

I like both tbf, I think bono has a better/more powerful voice than chris especially when he was younger, although chris does have a knack of sounding exceptional with what he has at his disposal. U2 also has The Edge a fantastic guitarist who I think overall has shown better qualities than johnny..... so far you never know wht mx has in store ;) but i do think chris writes better songs, because ovrall coldplay have 4 albums how many bad songs could you name? not many but u2 has some fantastic stuff but alot of average too. No doubt though both are top artists and on paper over sales and stuff u2 are winning for now but like people have being saying itll be a fair comparable test when coldplay match them for years :P

Boring Coldplay songs:

High Speed

Sparks

We Never Change

A Whisper

What If

Square One

Speed of Sound

Twisted Logic

Life In Technicolour

Lost!

Lover In Japan/Reign of Love

Guest howyousawtheworld
Wow now we're officially writing crap.

I'm not going to bother quoting.

Why exactly do people keep saying Jonny's a great guitarist?! There's no evidence of it, there's no reason given, and having a 'shy personality' isn't a reason, that's just hilarious. I laughed.

And since when has the Edge ever been considered a good guitarist?! Hahaha, he makes great use of very low guitar capabilities, this about sums it up:

Clearly nobody debating musical ability here has touched a guitar before.

Citing a relatively unfunny comedian ain't making a point. Anyone who needs instruments on stage to make themselves "funny" is just desperate. And Bill Bailey is a bit desperate....and immensely overrated. Also saw a skit of him doing a parody of Katie Melua's 9 million bicycles and I was like "is this actually an attempt to being funny?" About as good a stand up comedian as you think the Edge is a guitarist. The idea of a children's ward burning to the ground is funnier than Bill Bailey.

U2 writes great music, but they're aren't as talented as musicians. I read the book 'U2 By U2', and during their first ten years they couldn't help but pointing out how terrible of musicians they were; Adam Clayton --the bassist-- couldn't keep time with the drums (at one point they actually thought about kicking him out), Larry kept on doing simple drum beats and Bono was yelling more than singing. The Edge and The Edge's brother (who was later sacked from the band) were the only talented musicians. Over time, they all improved, and therefore were able to play more complicated music.

Chris Martin is an incredibly exceptional piano player, and he is a decent guitar player to add to that. His voice is below standard, but the music he writes (whereas it might not be as catchy) is very structured.

Coldplay's best band member is definitely Will Champion. He taught himself to play the drums so he could be in Coldplay. He also plays basically every instrument known to man. His timing is impeccable and his back-up vocals are incredibly sublime and harmonious.

The Edge beats Jonny. Jonny's great, but not only is the Edge a legend, his guitar work over the past 30-or-so years has never faltered. Jonny is great with catchy 'In My Place' riffs.

As for the bassists, Guy Berryman wins all-out over Adam Clayton. Hands down.

For someone who was a "shit" bassist for 10 years then New Year's Day and Gloria ain't a half bad effort from Mr Clayton. Still New Year's Day is his finest bass line and better than anything Guy Berryman has done.

Do you want me to bother typing out pretty much exactly what Bailey said? Because I originally couldn't be arsed- it's very simple if you aren't retarded, remember that youtube video you just watched, y'know the part where he outlined how the Edge relies on guitar effects, yeah that's the point, I don't care what you think of Bill Bailey, and yes citing a relatively unfunny comedian can be making a point.

Why does everything have to be spelled out to you?

Guest howyousawtheworld
Do you want me to bother typing out pretty much exactly what Bailey said? Because I originally couldn't be arsed- it's very simple if you aren't retarded, remember that youtube video you just watched, y'know the part where he outlined how the Edge relies on guitar effects, yeah that's the point, I don't care what you think of Bill Bailey, and yes citing a relatively unfunny comedian can be making a point.

Why does everything have to be spelled out to you?

It ain't funny and he ain't making a valid point. Airhead comedy. Deal with it.

Oh seeing the quote there reminded me- Chris Martin is NOT an incredibly exceptional piano player, where the hell are people getting this from? Coldplay songs were the first ones I learned on piano along with Beatles, because they were so fucking easy and even a person whos never touched a piano could learn those songs within a few days or 1 week maximum (Yes literally).

It ain't funny and he ain't making a valid point. Deal with it.

Hahaha what an ass you are. The point was about Edge being a good guitarist, Baileys making a valid point and clearly illustrating exactly what Edge does with a guitar, I do respect that considering he has such crappy natural talent he is very creative and has come up with with many interesting riffs and guitar hooks, but anyone who plays guitar quickly realises Edge couldn't teach basic guitar to school children.

Again, I don't care if you think it's funny (Mainly because your sense of humour is cringeworthy anyway) but he is making a valid point, which you could've debated or given a reason as to why hes wrong instead of just pointlessly de-railing the debate, but of course if you are a butthurt fanboy its hard to 'deal with it'.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Hahaha what an ass you are. The point was about Edge being a good guitarist, Baileys making a valid point and clearly illustrating exactly what Edge does with a guitar, I do respect that considering he has such crappy natural talent he is very creative and has come up with with many interesting riffs and guitar hooks, but anyone who plays guitar quickly realises Edge couldn't teach basic guitar to school children.

Again, I don't care if you think it's funny (Mainly because your sense of humour is cringeworthy anyway) but he is making a valid point, which you could've debated or given a reason as to why hes wrong instead of just pointlessly de-railing the debate, but of course if you are a butthurt fanboy its hard to 'deal with it'.

Oooh. Touched a nerve.

If you're idea of class comedy is Bill Bailey then god help you lonely troll boy. Run along now!