✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I do not understand hurts like heaven will be in the album or not?

Good songs come naturally, if they put a lot of work into it that would indicate they have an average song that they are trying to make album-worthy, you can't force creativity.

I still don't get why people need this to be on the album.

It doesnt need to be on the album

I think people just want to make sure that a studio version comes out in some form..

personally, I do not want it on the album because it is a good stadium song and catchy, but as far as the album goes it doesnt fit. If you want to craft a smooth album, i dont think HLH will be on there.

Im hoping it is a B-Side to Paradise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it not fit?? First of all Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland said that all of the songs on the album were 'schizophrenic' and that they all were different. Hurts Like Heaven has PERFECT lyrics that fit the album very well. It's also one of their stronger songs!

How does it not fit?? First of all Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland said that all of the songs on the album were 'schizophrenic' and that they all were different. Hurts Like Heaven has PERFECT lyrics that fit the album very well. It's also one of their stronger songs!

If major minus is a definite, then Hurts like Heaven shouldnt.

If you want a smooth album, like they seem to want. (IE Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, an album that flows smoothly) then you cant have the dark/haunting Major Minus, and then the popish Hurts like Heaven. Its like why Glass of Water wasnt on Viva.

How can you sing about "Got one eye on the road and one on you" and "Dont believe a word" with a rattling guitar

and then have a popish "Fire from my belly and the beat from my heart" and "You used your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven".

If they want to create a smooth album, then they will not include HLH if Major Minus is on there. It has nothing to do with Schizophrenia, you just have to transition your songs smoothly, and have songs that actually transition.

I love glass of water, and I think HLH is this albums glass of water. It wont make the cut, but we will get a studio version somtimes.

Just remember, just because a song is catchy and good, doesnt mean it belongs or fits the theme of the album.

Well, great songs come naturally but you still have to work on them...

Here's what I think about Hurts Like Heaven and WHY it should be on the album:

Jonny owns this song, hands down. The song is so simplistic (it's basically only two chords), but Coldplay still finds ways of making it completely epic. After MX (which doesn't do much for me personally), Chris's curtain of lyrical content falls down over the music with a rainstorm of rebellious graffiti references that keep the beat of the song just as well as Jonny's hammering muffled-powerchords. The drum beat keeps a simple New Wave beat and the Bass adds the necessary texture to the soundscape (like most songs). Suddenly, the first verses end and the two line chorus comes in, "Yeah you, use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven," and BAM! The song is immersed in a 16 measure guitar solo that -to contrast with the title- sounds ohhh so good like heaven!! Jonny owns those last eight measures with a glittering descending almost-arpeggio that makes me want to scream out in happiness! The song then continues its fast paced ways until it stops for the first main verse, "Yes I feel a little bit nervous, yes I feel nervous and I cannot relax" as the synthesizers glitter just like Jonny's guitar until it explodes into the 'concrete canvas' and 'spray can soul' verse. The song continues through more of Coldplay's awesome 'Whoas!!' in a second main verse, and then repeats the chorus a couple times before it ends in a shower of glimmering synths and guitars that slowly quiet down. This is by far the happiest Coldplay song ever released.

I dunno if you will get this reference,

but reading that made me think of the movie Ratatouille when Remmy is talking about how the colors and metal images of the food mixes..lol

Hurts Like Heaven:

'I struggle with the feeling that my life isn't mine'

'See the arrow that they shot, trying to tear us apart'

'Don't let them take control

No, we won't let them take control'

'They're coming 'round to get us

They're coming 'round when they don't know the facts'

Chris Martin: "'A story... loosely a kind of romance in an oppressive environment,' Martin explains, adding that (as of now) the 'love story' will have a happy ending-depending on sequencing.'"

If Hurts Like Heaven doesn't fit the album, I don't see how Major Minus could either.

Major Minus:

You got one eye watching you

And one eye what to do

And... that sums up the song.

There's a better chance of Hurts Like Heaven being involved than one might think. If it's not, then I fully accept eating my own words, but Hurts Like Heaven is thematically more apt than you say it is.

Chris Martin: "'A story... loosely a kind of romance in an oppressive environment,' Martin explains, adding that (as of now) the 'love story' will have a happy ending-depending on sequencing.'"

If Hurts Like Heaven doesn't fit the album, I don't see how Major Minus could either.

I would completely agree with you if....

'"Major Minus," on the other hand, seems solid as an integral part of the album's concept. "I don't think we'll leave that one off, because it's supposed to be a sort of villainous, dark piece," Martin says. "The baddie. The Bond villain, an Orwellian thing. It came from reading 'The Road' from Cormac McCarthy."'

If Major Minus is a definate, I feel HLH will be cut.

Spike could put an end on this mystery to us. He has access to the songs length. If he confirms us that Mylo Xyloto track is 0:42 length, then Hurts Like Heaven is in, because there is no MX without Hurts Like Heaven. If he says Mylo Xyloto is not 0:42 lenght, then Mylo Xyloto is not MX. So we can be afraid. SPIKE PLEASE help us!

That wouldn't prove anything at all. Just because it's on the database it's doesn't mean it's on the album. There's songs on that database from years ago that have never been released. And just because the album is called Mylo Xyloto it doesn't mean there has to be a song on the album called Mylo Xyloto. There isn't a song called 'OK Computer', that's just the album name.

Also, who says there is no MX without Hurts Like Heaven? They could easily replace Hurts Like Heaven with another song to go after MX.

That wouldn't prove anything at all. Just because it's on the database it's doesn't mean it's on the album. There's songs on that database from years ago that have never been released. And just because the album is called Mylo Xyloto it doesn't mean there has to be a song on the album called Mylo Xyloto. There isn't a song called 'OK Computer', that's just the album name.

Also, who says there is no MX without Hurts Like Heaven? They could easily replace Hurts Like Heaven with another song to go after MX.

1-Every database song has an ID number. Higher numbers = newer songs.

2-Every Coldplay album has a song or a couple that name the album.

3-OK Computer is not a Coldplay album.

4-When I say 'there's no MX without Hurts Like Heaven' my opinion is implicit on the phrase. So, I say. It doesn't mean it's right, nor wrong at all.

Take it someone has already speculated that "Hurts Like Heaven" is actually called "Mylo Xyloto", hence many of the television performances labelling it as MX or MX / Hurts Like Heaven?

Clearly the band wanted to keep Mylo Xyloto under wraps until the embargo was lifted at the weekend, so needed to abbreviate it / call it something else?

Guest howyousawtheworld

If this song was never to be released then it would be the mother of all tragedies for the band and fans of the band.

What would you say for yourself Coldplay? Oh and could Reilly stop coming on here and spouting out the same shite every time? Do yourself a favour and grow some balls in the real life rather than trying to act the tough man on an internet forum to compensate for the fact your probably a complete nobody in the real world.

Oracle Question:

I know you can't talk about it, but this concerns Hurts Like Heaven. With the album being announced and the billboard story, there's a massive thing going around that HLH won't make it to the album. Why?! It seems to be THE song for the album, and ties in with everything that has been promoted so far (running man, graffiti, opening song to the concerts!, etc). It's my (and a lot of others) favorite song so far, and I guess that all I want is for Coldplay to know what a great song they have here, and that it deserves to be on Mylo Xyloto. I know you know nothing of final track listing, and you can't say anything to us; but is there the chance that you can let the boys know that this song deserves everything it can get for the album? Thanks from a lot of fans.

Ocracle Replies:

I have to say I think it's great that you - and others - are worried that it won't be on the album because you've heard it and love it but trust me, whether it does or doesn't won't matter when the album comes out.

You're right I can't say but I will tell you a story. Just before X&Y was finished I heard that Talk was going to be left off. I felt I had to step in so texted Chris. The next thing I knew, it was being mixed and included on the album.

Hand on heart I don't know the tracklisting right now but if I did and Hurts Like Heaven wasn't on, I wouldn't text about it. I absolutely LOVE the song but I have faith that this is the album the band wanted to make and want to release so that's good enough for me.

That gives me hope it'll be on the album.

Oracle Question:

I know you can't talk about it, but this concerns Hurts Like Heaven. With the album being announced and the billboard story, there's a massive thing going around that HLH won't make it to the album. Why?! It seems to be THE song for the album, and ties in with everything that has been promoted so far (running man, graffiti, opening song to the concerts!, etc). It's my (and a lot of others) favorite song so far, and I guess that all I want is for Coldplay to know what a great song they have here, and that it deserves to be on Mylo Xyloto. I know you know nothing of final track listing, and you can't say anything to us; but is there the chance that you can let the boys know that this song deserves everything it can get for the album? Thanks from a lot of fans.

Ocracle Replies:

I have to say I think it's great that you - and others - are worried that it won't be on the album because you've heard it and love it but trust me, whether it does or doesn't won't matter when the album comes out.

You're right I can't say but I will tell you a story. Just before X&Y was finished I heard that Talk was going to be left off. I felt I had to step in so texted Chris. The next thing I knew, it was being mixed and included on the album.

Hand on heart I don't know the tracklisting right now but if I did and Hurts Like Heaven wasn't on, I wouldn't text about it. I absolutely LOVE the song but I have faith that this is the album the band wanted to make and want to release so that's good enough for me.

That gives me hope it'll be on the album.

I rest easier now.....

HOLY SH!@!!!!

I asked that question! I had no freaking clue that it would be answered!!!!

I didn't even realize that it had been answered until i saw it on here (when i was seeing if there was any new news on HLH), my heart nearly stopped.

I can't say how amazing it is that i was acknowledged by them.

They do care :D !!!