✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A questions for Coldplay know-it-alls?

sara21

Does Coldplay have any songs ( apart from Viva La Vida ) that could have any religious meaning? discount golf equipment Even the slightest allusion to religion is what I'm looking for.

And how do you explain Viva la Vida from a religious point of view? I understand it can also be talking about the French Revolution but I need to talk for 20mins about the religious influence in Coldplay and from what I can see, there isn't really one...

I remember reading some article or something a while back, I copied it to a word document. I did not write this, credit goes to whoever did. Here you go:

Coldplay gone catholic!?

If we analize the lyrics, the song has obvious biblical references and I think it's a song about Jesus Christ.

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sleep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

All catholics should know that Jesus Christ gave the word and he controlled the seas - I think that the line now in the morning I sweep alone clearly means that Jesus Christ was betrayed and had to endure many things alone! The first verse is talking about a decline from wealth and fame to a nobody, just like Jesus Christ experienced on his life! He used to be a king, but he had to die for all human beings..So on a certain way he turned over his kingship (I used to rule the world). Clear reference of someone giving God kingship over his life.

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing,

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand

The line upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand, possibly is a reference to the sermon on the mount where Jesus speaks of a wise man building is house on a rock while the foolish man builds his house on the sand, only to be washed away.

Those days, there were different kings! Ones thought the king was Jesus Christ himself, others thought the king was the Roman authority and other thought the king was the Jewish priests.

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain

Once you know there was never, never an honest word

That was when I ruled the world

Jerusalem bells and Roman Cavalry, it's obvious it's a biblical allusion. I think the line Be my mirror my sword and shield, it's a praying to God for strength. Also, the line my missionaries in a foreign field, has to do with the idea of taking the message of God and Jesus Christ all around the world. Finally, never an honest word, meaning the betrayal to Jesus Christ and his subsequent death.

I know St. Peter will call my name, referring to the fact of being admitted to heaven!

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever wanna be king?

This could be a reference to John the Baptist of the New Testament.

In The Book of Mark, John is noted as the one that comes before Jesus to announce His coming to Earth. A lot of people thought he (John) was going to be their Messiah, however he corrected them and told them that it was the One after him that would fill that role. I, also, argue that point because it is said somewhere that John's head was brought to king Herod on a Silver Platter.

Blew down the doors to let me in, meaning when Jesus Christ got furious because they turned the temple into a market!

The title "Death will never conquer" could be referring to Jesus who defeated death by his resurrection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_Jesus

"Till Kingdom Come" could allude to Jesus returning to earth again in future.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081030182607AArVA6c

Moses (it was written for Gwyneth because she had Chris in her power (of love) like Moses who divided the waters of the Red Sea thus allowing the Jews to escape the pursuing Egyptians / Farao's soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Red_Sea

Til Kingdom Come for sure. I don't even consider that it may be a song to a girl, and I'm not religious.

Also, Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground strikes me as religious, it's kind of like the narrator is at his death and instead of crashing into the sea below he will ascend to...somewhere (again, not religious).

... Open Up Your Eyes

... Where Do We Go? Nobody knows

... Priests clutched onto bibles ...

... When the banks became cathedrals

And the fog

Became God

... I hear those crocodiles ticking 'round the world

... Maybe the streets alight, meybe the trees are gone

... Use your heart as a weapon and it hurts like heaven

... Daniel in a lion's den

... my heart is beating and my pulses start cathedrals in my heart

Oh no, it's not apocalypse :lol:

Daniel_In_The_Lions_Den-499x600.jpg

I carry no doubt in my mind "A Message" is about God. Considering it was inspired by a hymn further shows *me* proof. Other's I believe have a religious meaning are:

- Til Kingdom Come

- Fix You

- Us Against The World

- Yellow