✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The music forum's take on Paradise

Famous Old Painter

I figured I'd best start this thread up, as we had similar threads for ETIAW and Christmas Lights.

Maybe it's because ETIAW has grown on me a little bit in the past few months but on first impressions I'm even less impressed by this. Whilst it's not an awful song, it does feel a bit too generic and radio-by-the-numbers for my liking. Which is slightly depressing considering this is the same band who gave us Politik, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face etc...

Still looking forward to Mylo Xyloto quite a bit and will definitely give it a listen when it comes out, but this song has dashed my hopes slightly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't expect anyone to praise it here. It's pure trifle and the melody reminds me of You Were A Kindness.

Minus everything that makes YWAK a good song, I assume?

Anyway, I'll just C&P what I posted on Twitter:

Paradise is less of a piece of a shit than Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall, meaning it's only a steaming cat turd instead of a horse turd.

Seriously, I expected bad things, but ETIAW set the bar so incredibly low that there was no way this could be equally awful.

Minus everything that makes YWAK a good song, I assume?

Paradise is less of a piece of a shit than Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall, meaning it's only a steaming cat turd instead of a horse turd.

Seriously, I expected bad things, but ETIAW set the bar so incredibly low that there was no way this could be equally awful.

YWAK is one of my favorite songs by The National. Corkus, they defiled one of my favorite songs. :bigcry: Is anything sacred anymore? I wanted them to end after LP6 because I was certain that they'd release one great album now separate from EMI, but they're ruined, they're soiled minds. They enjoy making music like Paradise.

YWAK is one of my favorite songs by The National. Corkus, they defiled one of my favorite songs. :bigcry: Is anything sacred anymore? I wanted them to end after LP6 because I was certain that they'd release one great album now separate from EMI, but they're ruined, they're soiled minds. They enjoy making music like Paradise.

*gives you manly guy hug of tears and rage*

(I actually just got back from seeing The National in concert like an hour ago, haha. But they didn't play YWAK. Still, that pre-"Paradise" time seeing The National was a much more blissful era for me.)

:D

I missed them in my town, they played Abel too. Abel is a great one. I was waiting in line to see this other concert and this asshole who wanked over the Strokes and how great Angles was going to be went on about how he didn't really like The National and how he just showed up first in line to their show that I missed to catch The Antlers. It made me enjoy The Strokes and The Antlers a little less that day. :\

This is very true, probably the reason I didn't make 'oh the horror' faces and stop to ask anyone who might have been around in the time, "what? what this? what happen? D:!?!?"

I still was quite concerned.

:lol: Nice description! Sadly it's true...

but ETIAW set the bar so incredibly low that there was no way this could be equally awful.
:nod:

I believe because I was more likely to eat my own ears than listen to ETIAW after the first few attempts of trying to find some redeeming features (which reads: there aren't any, don't put yourself through it) I found Paradise to be actually quite an improvement.

So I was very generous on the thread and gave it a 7.

Thinking about it now, it should be a five at best.

You see, what I think was that if this came from another band... I would actually like it and I wouldn't feel like my insides were turned to lava when I heard it. But because this is Coldplay who bought us treasures of music before-- I feel like we're somehow being cheated. Like we know that they can do better and yet they seem to just be settling.

I think that they're fed up of the stigma that has surrounded them and so are going out of their way to make 'perkier' music. But it's just coming across as bland, run of the mill pop. It's like previously they made music that yes, to some, was bland... But to us it was adventurous and showed thought and effort. Now they're just like every other band the market produces.

And I'm such a twee-indie-vidual that this annoys me to no end.

The idea of Rihanna on their album makes me want to put my head in a gas oven.

All this being said, I'm going to say it right now: I will still buy MX and I will still listen to it over and over. I'm sure in a few listens I will force myself to like it in some way just because Coldplay have always been my band and I don't know what I would do without them.

But something in my gut is telling me this is a dark road Coldplay are going down and they'll never be the same as Parachutes/AROBTTH/X&Y era themselves ever again.

I don't even think I'm interested anymore. If Viva really made me stop feeling comfortable with them this is probably never going to work anymore. I listened the song for the lulz because I knew it was going to be bad. I don't hate it, I'm pretty neutral about it, though I'd skip it anytime if it was on the radio or someone else's mp3 player.

The lyrics are not even impressive but that's no surprise, it just sounds, again, like a guy who is just starting to write songs. It's even funny how it repeats the ETIAW formula para para lulz.

And even though Moving to Mars wasn't really bad (nor impressive to me tbf) I never thought there was any hope. And if I hated that live performance of Princess Of China, I'll hate it even more if Rihanna is in it, not cos it's Rihanna, it's just too forced.

I won't even bother to buy the album, but I will listen to it to see if there's even just one song I could like.

I'm not disappointed like I was with Viva, I just don't think I care anymore or I won't even bother to have Coldplay in my music library.

:D

I missed them in my town, they played Abel too. Abel is a great one. I was waiting in line to see this other concert and this asshole who wanked over the Strokes and how great Angles was going to be went on about how he didn't really like The National and how he just showed up first in line to their show that I missed to catch The Antlers. It made me enjoy The Strokes and The Antlers a little less that day. :\

Tickets to The National are going on sale in my town tomorrow morning. They're being supported by The Walkmen. I love both bands so much and have never seen either live before so naturally I'm really quite excited. :D

I'm going to say it right now: I will still buy MX and I will still listen to it over and over. I'm sure in a few listens I will force myself to like it in some way just because Coldplay have always been my band and I don't know what I would do without them.

I hope you are not serious.

It's better than ETIAW in my opinion but I don't really like it. :\

Terrible lyrics...Boring anthem... :\

I liked Viva La Vida (as an album) a lot (Strawberry, Cemeteries, Techicolor, Escapist, Death...:) )

but now they seem to go in such a different direction. Princess of Chine will suck btw.

Very well said.

And because EMI is so cash-strapped, they stole my palette-cleansing coffee beans so I can't smell what kind of turd it is anyway.

I like the bass though. And now that I think about it, it's kind of sad because there are flashes of brilliance or at least "oh that's cool" on the new songs, and Jonny in particular has made his presence felt on many of the new songs. I just wish they could put it all together in a non-intentional-pop way. Of course, they kind of did with MTM. And the sad thing is, the "average" listener won't know about it because it won't be on the album, it will just be a brilliant b-side. So there could have been this gem in the rough on album that people could have (and now won't) discover, and MTM could have been a "sleeper hit". But now we'll never know.