✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate "Up in Flames"

foxeh

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/foxz0rd/coldplay-up-in-flames-live]Coldplay - Up in Flames (live) by foxz0rd on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[/ame]

The Song is absolutly Simple.. a few words.. only decent Instruments with Chris beautiful Voice.

Perfect?

The "up in flames" part also gets me.

All in one...i adore this simply Song.

I give it a good 8.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard it's a solid 8. For me it's the best song this era other than Us Against The World. But I agree with what jc90 said. It's verging on being boring which I find incredibly strange because it's more complex musically than The Scientist which isn't boring in the slightest. It just sounds like there's something missing. But honestly by this point I'd prefer it to be boring but emotional rather than having hundreds of layers but no emotion like ETIAW and Paradise.

Just another thought. I don't actually understand why they'd bother writing this song if they already have Moving to Mars. Both songs seem to have been written for the same purpose, except Moving to Mars is better. Will's part is also really dull and the song doesn't really have a proper ending, it just stops. This might be because of this particular performance though. I still think it's a good song but I don't see the purpose of it. They could easily have replaced it in the tracklisting with Moving to Mars.

I said 6, even though that feels a bit harsh. I guess I'm just worried that they're going to ruin it in the studio with lots of production, and despite the fact that I think it's great as it stands now, I do feel like it's similar to things they've done before.

I know, I know...some people are never happy--too different vs. too similar. I'm actually listening again right now and wishing I gave it more of a 7-8. My main gripe is it's sung very high, too much falsetto...but that's just Chris, we've dealt with that for years :P

I haven't listened to it yet, won't be until much later today after I'm home and can properly put on some headphones. I was debating whether to read people's opinions first, but it's too late now. I'm still excited for the first listen though.

My main gripe is it's sung very high, too much falsetto...but that's just Chris, we've dealt with that for years :P
See, that's what I didn't like about Proof (particularly the end). High is fine, but when it's nails-on-chalk-board-cringe-worthy I tend to wince. Is the singing anything close to that?

High is fine, but when it's nails-on-chalk-board-cringe-worthy I tend to wince. Is the singing anything close to that?

It's not sung as high as Proof, but some parts (particularly the end of the chorus) is too high for my liking. I think it would be better if it was sung an octave lower, but I guess the falsetto adds to the emotion.

I like this song more than Us Against the World, but I have to agree that it does get rather boring towards the end. There's also not much lyrical significance either, but I've grown accustomed to that after Paradise. I do love the tune though (I love all the tunes on the album so far).

From all the songs that have been heard so far, MX doesn't seem to be about the lyrics, but more about the actual music playing. I think Chris may want people to realise that Jonny, Guy, and Will are as significant, if not more, than him to the band.

I'd give Up in Flames a 8.

See, that's what I didn't like about Proof (particularly the end). High is fine, but when it's nails-on-chalk-board-cringe-worthy I tend to wince. Is the singing anything close to that?

Yeah, it's certainly not as high as he's ever gone or anything like that. It's just a lot of falsetto in the chorus, and I'm not generally a fan of falsetto. Like I say, though, Chris is known for that, so if I had a big problem with that, I wouldn't be a Coldplay fan :P.

I think you're really going to like it, at least in comparison to the stuff we've been hearing lately :nice:. It definitely has the old "them" in it in this live version.

I gave it a 10. The drums at the beginning sound like In My Place. Also it vaguely reminds me of Spies, my favorite song from Parachutes.

P.S. Please tell me someone else thinks the people who make it very obvious that they wanted "Parachutes ii"

and then complain about the high vocals are contradicting themselves.

Well, I decided to listen to it, and after 3 listens I'd rate it a 6. EDIT: Maybe a 6.5, actually :P

The thing that brings this song down for me is the repetitiveness. I sort of get where the Bon Iver comparison comes from, but I think even for a stripped down song, this is pretty sparse. For me it's one of those songs that you've pretty much figured out one minute into it. To be honest I'm not even sure if this is that much better than ETIAW overall, but I do prefer the overall "feel" of Up In Flames to how overblown the former sounds.

So far I'd definitely rate it above Paradise, and maybe a touch above ETIAW. But pretty much everything else we've heard so far beats this out IMO (including Moving To Mars). And as one of the more quiet songs of this era, Us Against The World is definitely superior to this (better lyrics, less monotonous, feels more 'complete' / 'finished' as a song). Having said all that, hearing a better live recording of Up In Flames may improve my opinion of it, though a rating of 6 still seems pretty accurate to me.

After listening to it all day, I think it's definitely one of the best songs of this era, it gets an easy 8! :D

But I'm pretty sure the studio version is way better.

It beats ETIAW and Paradise very easily.... I wish it was their second single, instead of Paradise.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I haven't listened to it yet, won't be until much later today after I'm home and can properly put on some headphones. I was debating whether to read people's opinions first, but it's too late now. I'm still excited for the first listen though.

I would say wait until the live streaming of their show tonight NumbersGirl. The quality of the video is far from standard.

But what you can make out of the video I really do like this song.

I don't think there's a band around the world which splits opinion within their own fans so much, let alone those who hate/love them.