✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate "Up in Flames"

foxeh

Why does everyone hate: "Up in flaaaaames, up in flaaaaames, up in flaaaaames."

But no one hates: "Youuuuuu areeeee, youuuuuu areeeee, youuuuuu areeeee." ?

:confused:

Because Clocks is more complex musically so when Chris is singing 'you are' there's bass, drums and and that iconic piano riff playing too which keeps the song interesting. There's also a longer period of time between the choruses. With Up In Flames there's nothing there other than that dull tick-tock drum beat and piano chords so it sounds a lot less interesting. The verses are quite short in Up In Flames too which means that there's a chorus, a 30 second gap, then the chorus again which gets tedious.

That being said, I think Up In Flames is one of the better songs from this era.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone hate: "Up in flaaaaames, up in flaaaaames, up in flaaaaames."

But no one hates: "Youuuuuu areeeee, youuuuuu areeeee, youuuuuu areeeee." ?

:confused:

Maybe because yesterday they woke up sucking a lemon

yesterday they woke up sucking a lemon

yesterday they woke up sucking a leuhmoooooooooooooooooooooonnn

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the repetitiveness. Although, I understand why some people don't like it.

Pretty good

I'd have to give it a 7/10 for now. Though it really isn't fair to rate because it's based on an iphone recorded version. It does make me hopeful that other songs will be simple as well. But in general I agree with what people have been saying here that it's missing something. I'm not too crazy about the chorus either, but that could change if I heard a proper version. I don't know why a lot of these songs are having such repetitive choruses, I haven't been too crazy about them. Though as I say that, Im suddenly thinking about A Whisper.. but somehow that repetition doesn't bother me. That album just needs to come out.

Maybe because yesterday they woke up sucking a lemon

yesterday they woke up sucking a leuhmoooooooooooooooooooooonnn

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the repetitiveness. Although, I understand why some people don't like it.

i love that song :dazzled: (everything in its right place)

I think this song is just beautiful. It IS hard to judge due to the iPhone quality (which is great quality don't get me wrong but for a song with as much subtlety as this it's bound to be an issue!), but I think it's haunting. The strings are just so uplifting and perfect, I can really feel the emotion. I love how it continues subtly building up as it progresses, adding riffs, strings, harmony vocals.. yes it's a simple composition but in this case less is more; if it conformed to the typical massive endings that the likes of Amsterdam, Fix You, The Scientist, Gravity etc. etc. conform to it would have ruined it.

A solid 8.5 but rounding up to 9 for the sake of the poll. The studio version has an unbelievably amount of potential!

I think this song is just beautiful. It IS hard to judge due to the iPhone quality (which is great quality don't get me wrong but for a song with as much subtlety as this it's bound to be an issue!), but I think it's haunting. The strings are just so uplifting and perfect, I can really feel the emotion. I love how it continues subtly building up as it progresses, adding riffs, strings, harmony vocals.. yes it's a simple composition but in this case less is more; if it conformed to the typical massive endings that the likes of Amsterdam, Fix You, The Scientist, Gravity etc. etc. conform to it would have ruined it.

A solid 8.5 but rounding up to 9 for the sake of the poll. The studio version has an unbelievably amount of potential!

I have a feeling the 'big finish' that's being described will come in the form of the final track on the album, running into each other, in a cool way.

I'm confident that all these songs will be amazing when fit together properly on MX.

That said, I already love this song. I voted 8/10, but I'm listening again and would probably go with 9.

I'm not sure what you're implying, but I want to make it clear that whilst I'm not a huge fan of ETIAW or Paradise, I think both are enjoyable enough. I also really like Major Minus. On top of that, I love what we've heard of Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown so far. I'm optimistic for Mylo Xyloto as a whole, but what we've got from this song doesn't do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

pretty good song but it seems all the choruses on this album just repeat the song title

"para para paradise" X3

"up in flaaammmmess" X3

"wa-aaa-aaa-aterfall" X3 (its not really the chorus)

But theres also song that dont use the title at all- Major Minus, Charlie Brown

All in all the songs are great, I mean coming up with lyrics is probably one of the hardest thing to do and for coldplay to come up with all these deep emotional lyrics consisently on past albums is amazing. For them to pack this album with lyrics like in clocks, the scientist, everythings not lost, in my place, fix you, a message, talk, lost!, politik, strawberry swing, violet hill to name a few, it would be a mounumental task for them, still doesnt make mylo xyloto any less of a great coldplay album. For people who say its boring i guess thats a matter of taste but not every song can be fast and packed with sound. Album is suppose to be one entity so the song is like the slow part of the movie that makes a transition of emotion or makes you stop and think. overall 7/10. album will be fanastic

• 3 weeks later...
Just another thought. I don't actually understand why they'd bother writing this song if they already have Moving to Mars. Both songs seem to have been written for the same purpose, except Moving to Mars is better. Will's part is also really dull and the song doesn't really have a proper ending, it just stops. This might be because of this particular performance though. I still think it's a good song but I don't see the purpose of it. They could easily have replaced it in the tracklisting with Moving to Mars.

No, I wouldn't replace. (I would replace PoC). The chords sound very interesting, UIF is the next victim of my piano buahahahahaha :cool:

So much for the hype surrounding this, even comparing it to Clocks.

A disappointed 6.5 for me. :cry:

Coldplay never said it can be compared to Clocks they never compared it to anything.

Coldplayers just compared it because it was rushed to the Album i dont understand you're Problem.