✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto Listening Party in Austin

DavidB5

M.M.I.X being a short intro is something that was rumoured when the tracklisting was released, UWTB is rumoured to have a slow but building tempo because every other final album track has, all that was mentioned about POC was that rhianna's voice was subtle- this is hardly classed as information at all. We know nothing about DLIBYH except that she compared it to another song off the album. I'm sorry but none of these statements that she provided are anything less than vague.

I'm not saying that I don't believe her. I'm saying that I find it of no substance that she didn't know anything about AHT or UFO (songs without news or even rumours) AT ALL. not a sausage.

she has no physical proof she was there. I don't know, maybe a photo of her outside the hotel, or at ACL with her husband. something, anything tangible. There's just nothing and right now and it's crazier to believe this stranger than to find a reason to believe she was actually there. and then there's the fact that she didn't mention it until somebody posted a thread about it asking if somebody was there. so... what? she was able to come online while she was at ACL and post about being there and then say 'wait two days for the review as I can't get online or talk about it' - she couldn't even say something like 'I will say this.... M.M.I.X is an instrumental.' or 'Rhianna is good'??? in fact she came online again to say how funny the thread was the day after but that we'd still have to wait another day for the review?? no, I'm sorry but c'mon. I know it's a lovely thought given that it's a positive review and so many people are hating on it already before it's release, I just think a grain of salt should be taken until anything she says can be substantialised.

Okay you have a point. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have quoted you, you just meant it was strange. My post was meant for everyone who started attacking her, while she was doing us a favor. I picked you because you said she could have remembered at least something, and in my view, she did.

Maybe I trust people too soon, maybe I only believed it because it was a positive review. I don't know.

It's just that I can understand if she didn't remember much detail, because I think I wouldn't either.

And I really don't like the bad stuff going on here, that's the main thing.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea.... Chelsea.... c'mon, you would have blurred alot out through the rush of excitement but you'd still remember SOMETHING about one of the songs that was unheard. We got absolutely nothing new.

stop being so nice! :P

Jamie...Jamie...stop being so critical! :P

On that boat, the first time we heard Christmas Lights before they replayed it, I barely heard it because I was so excited, both by the song and the idea of hearing a top-secret Coldplay release. After that first play, if you had asked me to give any sort of opinion of it, I would have said "duhhhhh...ummm...it's pretty? :dunce:" And that's just one song! The same thing happened when "ETIAW" premiered on the radio, along with another radio-premiered single by The Strokes that I was pants-wetting excited for earlier this year--after the first run-through, I could barely recall a thing about the songs. A whole album worth of material that no one's heard before, or not heard in that manifestation? If I hadn't been able to write down my thoughts as I was listening that first time, which according to her they weren't allowed to do, I doubt I'd be able to reproduce any sort of opinion of worth that another person would get much out of. I'd probably subconsciously rely heavily on the sorts of things other people had written about the songs so far, and remember the songs I'd heard before (ETIAW, Paradise, Charlie Brown, etc) best, and therefore be able to write about them best. THAT'S the main reason I believe her, because if you asked me to describe ETIAW, Paradise, Christmas Lights, or Under Cover of Darkness (by The Strokes), all from this year, based on one listen, I couldn't do it if you paid me. That and the fact I see absolutely no evidence why we shouldn't, or why anything she's said is fishy.

She was also asked how long the album was and she said about an hour. Idk if thats the time she was in the listening party and she was rounding up the time but coldplay deffinatley doesnt make hour long albums, they hate long albums. Im sure its just under 50 minutes but the only things i learned new from her review was that MMIX, MX, and a hopeful transmission are most likely instrumentals, DLIBYH is higher tempo and upbeat and that POC works really well with rihanna. another thing that makes me suspicous is that another question asked about chris's vocals on hurts like heaven and she responded with that there were no vocal effects. that doesnt make sence because you can clearly hear backing vocals during live version but for right now i believe her

MX Special Edition Review

http://www.austingirlmusicguide.com/2011/09/19/special-edition-review-coldplays-upcoming-mylo-xyloto/

Special Edition Review: Coldplay’s Upcoming “Mylo Xyloto”

Written by agmg on 19 September 2011

Mylo Xyloto (Release date – October 24, 2011)

Hi there readers! I can’t believe it’s been nine months since I’ve written a post. Graduate school ended back in May, and while I’ve been tossing around the idea of blogging again, the truth is that I just haven’t gotten around to it. This weekend though, I had sort of a once-in-a-lifetime experience that forced my hand.

If you’re new to my blog and you’re only reading this because I promised something uber-exclusive, then you’ll need to know that it’s no secret what a huge Coldplay fan I am. I first saw them live at the simulcast for their 2005 ACL taping and for the past 6 years, I’ve been a hardcore dedicated fan. I’m also happy to have a conversation with anyone about why loving them doesn’t preclude you from loving the most hipp(ster)ist of bands like TV on the Radio, Andrew Bird, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, or the even more obscure. After all, this is my philosophy. Welcome to AGMG!

This weekend was pretty much everything a Coldplay fan could ask for: an incredible Austin City Limits taping with new material on Thursday night, and a headlining performance at the 10th Anniversary Austin City Limits Festival on Friday. But when the ol’ husband and I arrived late at home buzzing with excitement after the taping (um, front row and got to meet Chris Martin after the taping…yeah!), there was yet another surprise waiting for us. We discovered we were going to attend an exclusive listening party for Coldplay’s fifth album, Mylo Xyloto, at a secret location Friday afternoon.

We had some vague instructions to meet up at the Hilton by the airport, but we had no idea where we were going or what to expect. To make a very long story shorter, an hour or so later about 30 “winners” were shuffled on to a comfy bus and we were heading toward Congress Ave. We pulled up in the back of the Hotel Saint Cecilia, an absolutely gorgeous location, were fed and shortly thereafter we were herded into a room right off the patio to hear the album on a pair of MINDBLOWING Bowers and Wilkins 800 Diamonds.

It must be said that I wouldn’t normally write a review of any album until I’d listened to it multiple times. I’m making a huge exception here for a couple of reasons. First, I’ve heard most of the songs on the album many times because Coldplay has been playing them at festivals. Second, I’m so familiar with their catalog that I feel pretty assured sharing my opinions on this album, in generalities at the very least. Finally, how many times am I going to get to do this?? Like, none, and I really want to share this info with other excited Coldplay fans. So, without further ado, here’s my review of Mylo Xyloto.

Mylo Xyloto Tracklist

Mylo Xyloto opens with the song of the same name, a tinkly, sparkling piano and xylophone track, a short musical introduction. Coldplay has also been opening their festival shows with this, and as in their live performances, on the album “MX” breezes seamlessly into the guitar-driven “Hurts Like Heaven.” ”Hurts Like Heaven” is a poppy number with ’80s influences (think “Lips Like Sugar“) and a number of terrific cascading riffs from guitarist Jonny Buckland that sound as fresh on the album as they do live. ”HLH”‘s lyrics and Martin’s vocal delivery also give it an urgency that match the guitar work.

“Hurts Like Heaven” gives way into one of Coldplay’s biggest sound divergences to date, the thumping and atmospheric second single, “Paradise.” The string intro to “Paradise” breaks into full-fledged hip-hop influenced synths and a heavy beat. This song has been discussed quite a bit amongst Coldplay fans and has its few detractors, but in the context of the album, it totally works. There are still a ton of Coldplay “indicators” here: piano notes, strings, and Martin’s smooth voice, here in storyteller mode, and the falsetto-filled chorus made for crowd chanting. Yet another reason to like “Paradise” on Mylo Xyloto – the band’s group vocals are simply striking. It was about this time at the listening party that everyone started bopping their heads – a definite good sign for being so early in the album.

One song Coldplay fans have been raving about for months now is the next track “Charlie Brown,” a song that sounds absolutely massive in concert thanks to Buckland’s circuitous, catchy guitar melody and Will Champion’s driving drums. Fans will be pleased to know that the album version is faithful to the live one, and actually, “Charlie Brown” sounds even more affirming on Mylo Xyloto as the production is kept simple and Martin’s voice is loose and fluid. Notably, “Charlie Brown” earned the first spontaneous applause in the tiny room of no more than 40 people.

The production value on “Us Against the World,” one of the standout tracks from Coldplay’s live performances, is thankfully also kept simple. ”Us Against the World” is easily one of the band’s most beautiful songs, and on the record, Martin and Champion’s vocal duet is stunning. ”UATW” has quieted festival crowds into contemplation mode, and it was no different at this event; the listeners totally absorbed it.

“M.M.I.X.”, another short instrumental interlude, quickly turns into Coldplay’s huge summer hit “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” featuring a sample of Peter Allen’s “I Go to Rio.” Much has already been said about “ETIAW,” a divisive track in the Coldplay fan community, but one that I personally enjoy. I mean, I don’t really know what’s not to like about it – it’s fun, the band sounds freer than they ever have, Buckland shines on an incredibly clever guitar riff, Champion pulsates on the drums, and I dig the talk-sing verses. One of my favorite aspects of Martin’s songwriting is how he perfectly encapsulates a sentiment into a simple lyrical line and “ETIAW” is full of examples of that (“I’d rather be a comma than a full stop”). As for the assertion that it’s too “pop”…well I hate to break it to you, but Coldplay’s had songs in the category of pop ever since “Yellow.”

On that note, the eighth track, “Major Minus,” serves as a perfect counterpoint to “ETIAW” for people looking for their rock fix. On the album, “Major Minus” is considerably more glossy than it is live, with Martin’s vocals calling out from behind a gauzy layer. Mylo Xyloto is sequenced so well that that aspect of it doesn’t bother me. I still prefer the searing, blistering live versions of the song personally, where the fervor of guitars, drums, and bass are unfettered. ”Major Minus” is also where the influences of Dylan and Springsteen are the most obvious, particularly in Martin’s phrasing and lyrics, and “MM” features one of the best recent uses of Martin’s falsetto.

It isn’t really until this point in the album that I heard songs that I wasn’t already familiar with. Among the remaining tracks, the one I was looking forward to most was the highly anticipated Rihanna-guesting “Princess of China.” Despite all the fretting/assumptions about it, I feel it is truly a standout track, the centerpiece of the album. This is probably the only other place on Mylo Xyloto where any sort of hip-hop influences emerge, but it’s done in an even more subtle way than “Paradise.” Rihanna sounds totally different here, unlike anything she’s done, and the combination of her voice with Martin’s is surprising in the best way possible. I think the feeling was mutual around the room; people applauded “Princess of China” more than any other track and none of these dedicated fans seemed put off by Rihanna’s presence – in fact, it was the opposite. This is still a Coldplay song, and Rihanna’s contribution is one that adds not only to the track, but to Mylo Xyloto as a whole. I can’t wait to hear it again.

“Up In Flames,” which debuted at the Austin City Limits taping, is another attention-grabber. It’s slow, with the metronome-style beat, and Martin’s crooning falsetto hitting highs more confidently than he has in years. Following “Princess of China,” the listening crowd got quiet again and there was noticeable sniffling. ”Up In Flames” is gorgeous and emotional in its simplicity, yet it sounds epic in its place on the album. The last two tracks of Mylo Xyloto are also quite noteworthy. ”Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” is an up-tempo track with a memorable ending reminiscent of “Charlie Brown” in styling, and “Up With The Birds” is another slow-burning torch song that completely breaks your heart at the end of the album.

Overall, Mylo Xyloto is bracing and vivid, not overproduced, and balances delicacy and bombast with a steady, assured hand. Coldplay has never been more liberated as a band, even on Viva La Vida where they first dipped into expanding their melodious sound. There’s no sense of that hesitation on MX which sometimes hindered the band in the past, and there are more variations of riffs, more solos, more beats, and more bass than ever before. Martin’s voice has also never sounded more natural and his range never bigger – he sounds terrific throughout. Mylo Xyloto is restless and fast-paced – the type of album that you can absorb listen after listen and hear something new each time. It’s filled with frenetic energy, sonic highs, and heartwrenching ballads; as a loose concept album, it’s absorbing on many levels, and sounds very of-the-moment, something Coldplay has always excelled at.

Im more excited than ever!