✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I don't think this album will be as great as VLVODAAHF

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

None of us have heard the album but my gut feeling is that this album won't be as good as Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. I was just listening to that album again in all this craze over Mylo Xyloto and it struck me what they've got to live up to with that album. As it was their previous effort Viva will be used as a water mark for this album. For me it set a pretty high water mark.

I always never thought much of the production on VLV but I realise now that it's perfectly balanced. Not under or over produced. They are comfortable enough to try out something different but at the same time keeping the recognisable attributes from their first three albums. At the moment I'm thinking the next album will be overproduced. I have a feeling it won't be as honest and tight as VLV and that they are straying too far away from themselves both musically and their on stage look. People might say 'they were doing that with Viva La Vida with the whole french revolutionary gear etc etc' but I don't agree with that. It was a bit of fun and added variety but it didn't make them look like part of a youth subculture like their current look! It's ironic that during their mid 20s in the AROBTTH era they dressed like fully mature adults with their substitute geography teacher look but as they get older they're dressing like younger men. Next album expect them in nappies?!

VLV was also an album which for me sounded better on record than in a live arena. Lovers In Japan for me personally is the peak of that album. I love that song so much that I just don't think Mylo Xyloto will reach that high point. That album also didn't need the aid of a generic female pop star. The Rihanna collaboration may excite some but will probably dissuade most. Hiring her to sing on Princess of China reeks a bit of desperation. Of all the female artists Chris Martin just had to ask her. Sadly my expectations for the new album lowered once I heard that. I thought Coldplay had given up on trying to be bigger and trying to get better? But my major concern for this album is the fact they ditched the idea of a more acoustic, quieter album last summer. I hope they don't regret it and I'm sure they don't. The fans might though.

Don't get me wrong though, the likes of songs such as Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown and Us Against The World I really do find fantastic and their live performances look like they've reached a whole new level on stage so there's plenty to look forward to but there's also plenty to be sceptical about. But all will be revealed come next month.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it would be very difficult for them to top Viva la Vida. It's my all-time favorite album (with ARoBttH a close second). I agree with you on the point that it was perfectly balanced: it had its synth / pop moments in Viva, Lovers In Japan, Yes, and Lost! but then it also had its soul in Strawberry Swing, DaAHF, Violet Hill, Prospekt's March, and NMFWTtG.

It does seem that MX will veer more towards the pop-y sound rather than the soulful sound, but only time will tell on that aspect. I'll remain optimistic that MX will be as brilliant as every one of its predecessors, but I don't have my hopes set so high that I think it will eclipse Viva and ARoBttH.

Also agreed on the clothing thing. I adored the Viva look, but it seems to be a bit too much for this era. Here's to hoping they go back to their ARoBttH look for LP6 :D

I don't think they're trying to top Viva. That's the mistake they made on X&Y, they tried to make A Rush A Blood, but bigger, better and more U2.

With MX, they're clearly stepping away from Viva. They worked with Kylie during the Viva sessions, let's not forget that. That was deemed "too sexy", so they'd have put it on if it was right, same as they'd have left Princess of China off MX if that wasn't right.

At the end of the day, you can make all these direction comments about any band, but the bands who do well from changing their sound have the decent songs to back them up on every album. I believe the LP5 era has decent songs in Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Major Minus, Up Against The World, Every Teardrop and Paradise.

We'll never get another Lovers In Japan... But why try and create a replica when the original's so brilliant?

Guest howyousawtheworld
I don't think they're trying to top Viva. That's the mistake they made on X&Y, they tried to make A Rush A Blood, but bigger, better and more U2.

With MX, they're clearly stepping away from Viva. They worked with Kylie during the Viva sessions, let's not forget that. That was deemed "too sexy", so they'd have put it on if it was right, same as they'd have left Princess of China off MX if that wasn't right.

At the end of the day, you can make all these direction comments about any band, but the bands who do well from changing their sound have the decent songs to back them up on every album. I believe the LP5 era has decent songs in Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Major Minus, Up Against The World, Every Teardrop and Paradise.

We'll never get another Lovers In Japan... But why try and create a replica when the original's so brilliant?

Yeah they worked with Kylie but she's no Rihanna - which I say in a good sense. I don't listen to Kylie Minogue but I totally respect her. If it was Rihanna singing on Lhuna I bet they'd be much eager to release that song as more than a charity single. Lhuna could easily have gone on Prospekts March.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Oh no, not that above post. I meant that VLV is clearly greater than MX, or at least that's how it's looking.

Indeed. I don't think it's clear but it for me doesn't suggest so far it will reach that of their last album.