✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who else is sick of the stereotypes surrounding their home state/nation/whatever?

The Mad Hatter

I once met a Canadian who thought 90% of Americans smoke weed and may do drugs. I don't do either, and I know many people don't. That percentage is way too high. I could not get him to believe that this was not true.

Another bad one is that Americans are rich, do not pay their doctor bills (only 1/3 of bills not paid, according to hospitals).

Americans want to control the world and bomb any country they feel. Only a few Americans want these wars. I heard that foreigners are rude to Americans who travel to their country because of this. Some Americans pose as Canadians or Mexicans to avoid this.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that in the USA that there are strict drinking laws for alcohol and beer. You have to be over 21 and show your passport if you are from outside the USA. We do not take driver licenses from other countries except Canada. And I heard that there are places that don't take Canadian IDs except passports. Australians are the worst at bringing their passports and want beer the most. Japanese are the best at bringing them. If you look young or have smooth skin, your ID gets checked. Since the guys in Coldplay have smooth skin, their IDs would probably get checked.

Yeah, I believe we did, actually. This is what brought up the whole "let's share accents" thing, if I'm not mistaken.

Speaking of which, I've been told by members of this forum that my accent is only slight. I'm quite pleased. :smug:

Yep it did. :P I agree with the consensus that your accent is slight. I like to think mine is too, although I don't know if that's completely true. I hate going out of state and being associated with all the Texas stereotypes. It's so embarassing! I think we have some of the worst stereotypes of any state (not that other states don't, ours are just worse).

Australians are the worst at bringing their passports and want beer the most.

Well yeah, although passports are an accepted form of photo ID here, most people just carry a driver's license. I suppose that law is just so the employees don't get hoodwinked by a fake foreign driver's license, but it does seem a tad excessive.

Yep it did. :P I agree with the consensus that your accent is slight. I like to think mine is too, although I don't know if that's completely true. I hate going out of state and being associated with all the Texas stereotypes. It's so embarassing! I think we have some of the worst stereotypes of any state (not that other states don't, ours are just worse).

All I know is that when I went to California for a band trip my senior year of high school, my friends and I got a lot of disdainful looks. >_>

Yeah, I believe we did, actually. This is what brought up the whole "let's share accents" thing, if I'm not mistaken.

Speaking of which, I've been told by members of this forum that my accent is only slight. I'm quite pleased. :smug:

That was a ton of fun. :>

And you only have a slight accent. :wacko:

And I'm fucking sick of hearing that Americans are fat, lazy greedy bastards. We're not.

And also that all girls from New Jersey are orange and have their boobs hanging out of their shirts. :|

*joins the boat*

As much as I want to travel around and live in Europe when I'm older, I'm afraid they might treat me badly because I'm Romanian :/

I can't even say I'm American because they still might be biased fhdjghjs

Since the guys in Coldplay have smooth skin, their IDs would probably get checked.

what

^ As long as you don't travel with your busload of smelly scruffy familymembers in your gypsy-cart-mercedes and don't go stealing things being merciless brutal, I don't see any problems! :P

Nah, seriously, it seems Albanians and Romanians still have to overcome a lot of crazy prejudices, right? I just caught myself thinking weird stuff, when driving behind an expensive car which was from Romania. I was all like: 'oh wow, look, it's obviously- despite of it (?) all- possible to make a decent living down there.' Quite daft. :disappointed:

edit: But Dee, I really think you wouldn't have severe problems. Most people aren't that ignorant anymore. I guess you don't act and look like the cliché, so people would rather be positively surprised, if at all.

[/url]

lol americans

Oddly enough.....*looks at Mad Hatter*.....Jamie Oliver's first season of "Food Revolution" was filmed in Huntington, WV.

I hear ya about state stereotypes being more troublesome than the nation's. I grew up in Oklahoma and you'd be surprised how many people thought I lived in a teepee or knew someone who did. When I went to college in Arkansas, I actually had someone from California on AOL chat ask me if I had running water and dirt floors. I mean...WTF?!

Oddly enough.....*looks at Mad Hatter*.....Jamie Oliver's first season of "Food Revolution" was filmed in Huntington, WV.

I know. :/

That's where I was born and lived for a while. It's not as bad as he made it out to be. -_-;;

The whole "WV is a fat state" thing is fucking retarded. FUCKING retarded. Yeah, there are some fat people here, but for the most part, the people here who are classified as "overweight" are very hard working and pretty well fit.

I used to go to Harpers Ferry, WV, and the people talked very normal. I used to know some girls from WV who talked more British than American. I don't know what part of WV they were from.

I was very interested in Harpers Ferry because I am interested in hauntings and went on ghost tour.

I saw lots of outdoor activities and sporting in WV in that town. The people were friendly. :huskyhug: