✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay live: the big dare

Tryptophan

So, we know Coldplay's live sets have been pretty predictable since a few years. During a tour, they'd usually play the same setlist with a few changes and additions throughout the tour (see 2011 summer festival tour). This set comprises almost the entire new album (Viva La Vida in the previous case) with some greatest hits added to the whole. During the summer festival tour there was some space for more songs as MX was not entirely played, but there's a big chance that for the actual MX tour, starting in Europe this December, older songs like Shiver and Life Is For Living will have to be removed so more songs of the album can be added.

This type of greatest hits setlist is good for regular fans who will see the band live once in their lifetime. But, I've seen many people on this forum who would like to see/hear a more adventurous setlist with more unfamiliar, obscure songs. Many other bands have a rotating core of obscure songs that are part of their regular setlists. So why won't Coldplay do this? They're playing a safe bet with all the hits in one setlist, plus the album they're promoting. Though many of us more knowledgeable fans are dying to hear songs like A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Spies or Amsterdam again. Plus, personally, I wouldn't really want to see the same show I attended at Werchter all over again in Antwerp.

So this is some kind of dare towards Coldplay, a petition, or a challenge if you will. I know it's some kind of a joke and the band have more important things to think about than just the wishes of a few fans. But I'd like to hear your opinions. What do you think?

I added a poll about which songs you'd like to see live again. I'm curious about that. You can select more than one, but please not all of them, try 3-4 at most. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

I would love to see most of those songs live again but I've got to be realistic and not expect too many of them. The thing about a setlist is it has to feel right within the context of the show. We all love Amsterdam and A Rush Of Blood To The Head but in a show with so many upbeat energetic songs it would be risky from making it a bit of a schizophrenic show. No matter how great those songs are you risk breaking up the momentum of the show with them.

That said it would be my ultimate desire to see Coldplay perform the whole of A Rush Of Blood To The Head accompanied by a full orchestra in a one off performance.

OR they arrange a special one off b sides setlist in a small venue to satisfy the core fanbase!

I would love to see most of those songs live again but I've got to be realistic and not expect too many of them. The thing about a setlist is it has to feel right within the context of the show. We all love Amsterdam and A Rush Of Blood To The Head but in a show with so many upbeat energetic songs it would be risky from making it a bit of a schizophrenic show. No matter how great those songs are you risk breaking up the momentum of the show with them.

That said it would be my ultimate desire to see Coldplay perform the whole of A Rush Of Blood To The Head accompanied by a full orchestra in a one off performance.

OR they arrange a special one off b sides setlist in a small venue to satisfy the core fanbase!

Hm, that would be even more unrealistic. It's impossible to collect the core fan base in one small venue.

But good point, although I beg to differ: Coldplay can play all kinds of songs in one show and get away with it. Look at how they play Us Against The World, it doesn't ruin any momentum, by contrast, it only adds to the show.

Hm, that would be even more unrealistic. It's impossible to collect the core fan base in one small venue.

But good point, although I beg to differ: Coldplay can play all kinds of songs in one show and get away with it. Look at how they play Us Against The World, it doesn't ruin any momentum, by contrast, it only adds to the show.

THIS. Not to mention the X&Y and VLV acoustic sets in the middle of gigs. They definitely add a unique amount of intimacy.

• See You Soon

• Green Eyes

• A Message (acoustic)

• Lovers in Japan (acoustic)

• Talk (straight up normal version)

• White Shadows

• In the Sun (Will can do Michael Stipe's bits)

• Help is Round the Corner

• Bigger Stronger

• How You See The World No. 2

Is that too many? :lol: I can totally add more, otherwise. :D

I can't wait to hear them play Christmas Lights again, which they will obviously be doing in December, so I didn't need to add that one...

Jason

I was so excited they played Shiver, Everything's Not Lost and Life Is For Living at Werchter. Thought I would never ever get the chance to witness those songs live.

I voted for Trouble (which I already saw them playing live acoustically 2 years ago, I'm now hoping for the album version), Spies, AROBTTH, Amsterdam (dying to see that one live!), DAAHF (also saw that one live, but it was really magical), and other: See You Soon (my absolute fav of the 2003 dvd).

I dare you Coldplay!

I'd love to see Swallowed in the Sea and Strawberry Swing. I'm wondering what they are going to play on the SA tour, as the album won't be out yet. Coldplayers will know some of the songs they've played live at the festivals, but most of the 50 000 people going to each show will only know Paradise and ETIAW

Only voted for Amsterdam, didn't know you could vote for more than one, woops.

Aside from that one, I'd also love to hear Lovers In Japan, Swallowed In The Sea and absolutely Death and all his Friends!

please Coldplay play Amsterdam in Rotterdam, what a dare would that be :D
Yeah, that would be cool!

If the song actually had the word Amsterdam in it, he could replace it by Rotterdam. But too bad :p