✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

BBC Music Review (9/10 rating)

andrea25

BBC don't post ratings on their reviews but external sites have said the Beeb has given the record a brilliant 9/10 rating!

Read the full review here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/98x2

http://www.anydecentmusic.com/review/3804/Coldplay-Mylo-Xyloto.aspx

A triumphant fifth LP which reveals familiar strengths in all the right places.

Don’t Coldplay love their Xs and their Ys? And their enigmatic album titles? After 2005’s X&Y and 2008’s Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends comes Mylo Xyloto. Well, it beats Coldplay 5. But any title that needs a pronunciation guide (it’s "My-lo zy-letoe") sounds like it’s trying a bit too hard. Maybe Chris Martin still yearns for something that infers the depth and gravitas of a Bono or Thom Yorke. The album is apparently a concept work, "based on a love story with a happy ending," Martin claims, and inspired by old-school American graffiti and the anti-Nazi pacifist White Rose Movement: "It's about being free to be yourself and to express yourself among negative surroundings." But the lyrics are still typically Martin’s life-affirming, anthem-forming and plain-speaking as ever, more ABC than MYLO XYLOTO.

The same goes for the music. Bassist Guy Berryman said in 2009, "It's time to take our music down different directions and really explore other avenues," and, in name alone, this set suggests Coldplay might finally do an Achtung Baby; they might rip it up and start again, in the presence of said U2 LP’s producer Brian Eno, who also worked on Viva la Vida. If the addition of electronic undertows, instrumental snippets (the title-track, M.M.I.X., A Hopeful Transmission) linking many of the tracks and the presence of Rihanna on Princess of China count as "other avenues", then job well done. But Mylo Xyloto is much more a brilliant, shiny and emphatic reinstatement of the euphoric hooks and cuddly ballads that have served the band so well. Case in point: Paradise, where melting strings and church organ feed into a brilliant chorus line that equal parts Fix You and Viva la Vida’s title-track. But the main vocal chorus doesn’t arrive until over two minutes in, building the tension; the pay-off is both simple and devastating. It’s the equal of Yellow, and when Coldplay return to Glastonbury it will take the roof off the sky.

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall goes one step further than Paradise by lifting Vida la Vida’s "who-hoa!" hook, suggesting Coldplay can’t truly comprehend new avenues. U2-shaped echoes still run through the deep and wide canyons of their landscaped sound – Major Minus features The Edge-patented guitar chatter, but it’s nevertheless a triumph. Charlie Brown has one of those Coldplay-patented sun-breaking-through-clouds moments; Us Against the World (the sentiment that unites the graffiti and anti-Nazi camps) is the key wistful/cuddly ballad alongside Up in Flames, a successful grafting of soul onto the Coldplay model, helped by an understated falsetto and the simplest of piano parts (echoes of Parachutes’ gorgeous Everything’s Not Lost).

The closing Up With the Birds, which samples Leonard Cohen, is a serene finale that shows Coldplay understand the change of dynamics more than the dynamics of change. Better this than the nominally Euro-disco bent of Princess of China, where Rihanna’s presence feels more of a marketing tool than a creative necessity, and there’s yet another "who-ay-oh-oh!" chant just in case Coldplay were straying too far from their remit. This appears to support Martin’s message of expressing the freedom to be yourself under negative surroundings – not to change just because critics of the band tell them they should. Mylo Xyloto may have an oblique title but it’s a triumph because the music is anything but.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/98x2

Better this than the nominally Euro-disco bent of Princess of China, where Rihanna’s presence feels more of a marketing tool than a creative necessity

I've suspected it would come off as being a marketing tool since it was first announced that Rihanna would be on the track. Obviously I haven't heard the track yet but I've always thought that the inclusion of Rihanna on the album was completely unnecessary. I'm still sort of looking forward to the song but I think I'll hate it.

An interesting review, thanks! And interestingly it sounds a lot more negative in places than the final sentence would suggest...

Really great point about Paradise vs Viva - I don't see the difference at all, so was amazed at the overall reaction on here, (comparisons with Fix You are moot for me though).

Guest howyousawtheworld

Too much focus on what was said before the album. That should have nothing to do with it. The words Chris or Guy speak do not matter. It is after all only the music which talks. That said to call it a triumphant return must be pleasing for the band.

Seems like a really fair review, and finally some reviewer who is critical about their unstoppable desire of creating instant hits and anthems, and the "whoa hoa's" Chris apparently wants to include in every song. I haven't heard PoC with Rihanna yet, but I believe the critic when he says Rihanna is more of a marketing stunt than anything else. I won't like her presence, I think. :(

Maybe they're a bit too positive about Paradise. But apparently that's just me, I think I'm starting to hate this song a little more every time I hear it.

Up With The Birds will be great... I hope the Brian May sample rumour was only a joke, that would ruin the song and maybe even Coldplay for me (I'm just not a fan of his - nothing worse than Chris talking positively about Will.i.am's music though - apparently Will.i.am's recording sessions in London inspired the boys to record on tour too, only the idea of Coldplay having anything to do with that sell-out... or even looking up to him, I bet Chris adores that man for his BEP music that sells so many records and can therefore only be fantastic, would be typical of Chris, this as a sidenote, had to get it off my chest).

Only a few days to wait now.

The reviews show how I always thought about the album: Its most likely that Mylo Xyloto will be a masterpiece. So glad to read all the positive reviews... a good feeling after some poeple with extrem negativity here.

In the end, it doesn't matter when I will listen to the album. Taste is different and maybe I won't be satisfied. But after hearing ETIAW and Paradise and all the other new songs I'm really sure that this album can't be anything else than a epic masterpiece.

Looking forward...only 7 days for me to go!

Wow. Best Review yet.

Called it "Brilliant" + A "triumph."

Yeah 9/10 !!! :thumbsup:

They give us a great service of music, popular and not so popular incorporating all sorts of music so they know what they're talking about.

But HEY !!! it's COLDPLAY... so why should I be surprised ?! ;)

Guest howyousawtheworld
9/10 is very high! Are BBC always this generous?

They're not generous but they are fair. Noel Gallagher's new record was only given a 6/10 rating where others have given it higher scores. They don't give out a lot of 9/10 scores. Very few actually. But like I said they are reliable. It's BBC music after all. They give us a great service of music, popular and not so popular incorporating all sorts of music so they know what they're talking about.

They're not generous but they are fair. Noel Gallagher's new record was only given a 6/10 rating where others have given it higher scores. They don't give out a lot of 9/10 scores. Very few actually. But like I said they are reliable. It's BBC music after all. They give us a great service of music, popular and not so popular incorporating all sorts of music so they know what they're talking about.

Thanks, so it's not like 'it's Coldplay so it's good no matter what'.

Expectations highered. ;)

Guest howyousawtheworld
Thanks, so it's not like 'it's Coldplay so it's good no matter what'.

Expectations highered. ;)

Absolutely not. The BBC are one of those few outlets that don't attach any stigmas to artists like other so called music sites. They'll praise when they see fit to praise.

Noel's record is amazing should've had at least 8/10....

Well, I'm not going to listen to MX until the 24th....