✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Collection of Mylo Xyloto reviews after the dust has settled' thread

Our Escape

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a weird review, if you ask me - he fails to see much good in the chart pop music he mentions, and that assumption weighs down the review.

" I am left questioning Mylo Xyloto’s preservation of what stands to be signature Coldplay"

That seems pretty biased to me, as if he was expecting an album more akin to Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the head. His constant mentions of "classic Coldplay" seem to miss the point of the album as a significant step forward, IMO. Sure, he's allowed to like "Classic Coldplay", but he shouldn't assume that's what the fans want and therefore the record pales in comparison to his own bias (I think...!)

I do like his use of "demiurgic" though. Cool word!

Hope that makes sense!

it has nothing to do with old coldplay or new coldplay; They are still coldplay.

but some of the good things about coldplay are missing on this record.

imo it's great that they try different stuff, but this album could have been better - even in this style.

Too much emphasis on the lyrics, especially since Coldplay have never had good lyrics and yet the reviewer constantly mentions 'classic Coldplay.' Other than that though, there are some very valid points. It's actually one of the better reviews of the album I've read.

god here we go again a thorough critical review and just cuz it says the record isnt good enough its not a valid review. oh no they must give 10/10 or else they will endure the punishing wrath of the almighty MX lovers.

Hey, I'm no MX lover, so I'm not defending it - I'm just saying much of the review's criticisms are due to it not being 'classic Coldplay', which IMO shouldn' be the basis of the review. The album should be reviewed on its own merits (or lack thereof), which I believe this review doesn't do enough of. Not everyone is a rabid MX fan, I'm just trying to critically analyse the review.

It irritates me that the style is "the fans... the fans"...when it's the opinion of one person. I feel like this was a bit of a lazy slag on the new album. He/she didn't give enough credit about the lyrics, and makes some unjustified claims. Especially about UIF, DLIBYH, POC - how do they know UIF is boring? How do they know they did POC just to top charts?

Well...my main problem with the album IS the lyrical depth (or lack of). A Rush of Blood, Viva, and even Parachutes were far better than most of the songs on here. I DO appreciate the change in style (I'm sort of a dance/techno lover :lol:), but, as it has been pointed out, it could have been pulled off better.

Still love Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven. :)

coldplay-mylo-xyloto-thumb-500x494.jpg

Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto: A First Listen

The No. 1 album in the country this week is by the biggest band on Earth. All is right with the world? Well, hold that thought. Unlike textural forbears U2 and Radiohead, much less the Clash or Nirvana, most people even willing to concede that Coldplay is a relevant force do not think it has made great albums. A Rush of Blood to the Head was very good, and surprisingly spiky when it wanted to be (which was not often), while X&Y and Parachutes were singles-plus-other-stuff. Viva La Vida was Something Different, sort of. It had a huge title hit and will almost certainly age better than Zooropa (played "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" lately?). But Eno's not exactly Nigel Godrich these days. Where does that leave Mylo Xyloto, which is allegedly named after the protagonists in a probably total bullshit storyline? With Coldplay's best reviews since Rush. Let's test them.

"Mylo Xyloto"

I'm sucker for the title-tune fakeout trick. Remember when you finally got to "Birds" on Quasi's Featuring "Birds" and it was literally just a minute of recorded birds? This isn't as fun.

"Hurts Like Heaven"

But oh what it leads into. Coldplay was so stodgy circa "Speed of Sound" or so that it's inevitable the most actually influential band of that era is who they're aping now: their idea of fun is Arcade Fire. But with synths! With any other band I'd scoff hard at this. But if Arcade Fire's bookish groove could make anyone less generic, it's these guys. And did I mention there's synths?

"Paradise"

God, that string riff. I know this. I swear. I like that the hip-hop drums, "para-para" stutter-syllable hook and single designation trick you into thinking this might be the Rihanna song. But it's not.

"Charlie Brown"

Love the cavernous How to Dress Well-style intro. And the guitar riff (doubled by marimba, of course!) What's with this band and guitar riffs lately? Are they trying to make people think they rock? Silly band. I like this as much as anything they've done, though.

"Us Against the World"

Cough; hardly. Cheeky title for the first "boring" song, though, considering Coldplay being boring is usually what the world's against. (The part of the world that isn't buying all the Coldplay records I mean. Chechnya, or something.) This is sprightly and tuneful.

"M.M.I.X."

Their "Treefingers". No really, it leads into the single like Radiohead did into "Optimistic." Though the single is, uh, much lighter fare.

"Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall"

From day one, I could not front about loving this song, which sucks because unlike merely loving the occasional Coldplay song, I've now demoted myself to loving the occasional Coldplay song about crying. To its credit, this beat-y thing did everything it could to avoid the typecasting of the title: triumphant, pennywhistle-like guitar riff, swellheaded bass-drum throb, and a cover endorsement by none other than Official Dancehall Queen Robyn, who sings it better but needs the guitar. Essential!

"Major Minus"

Speaking of Zooropa, this is a weird song with odd tech ideas and an odd melody some are comparing to Radiohead. And Chris Martin sings it in a goofy surfer-Ringo accent. But this is way too upbeat to be Radiohead. The trip-hop part that kicks in reminds me of "The Wind," off PJ Harvey's Is This Desire?. Still very impressed with the number of balls-out guitar leads Martin allows Johnny Buckland on this thing.

"U.F.O."

All right, a truly empty one. But it's only two minutes long. One reason this album's very good at circumventing bad reviews is because it's very coy; lots of interludes, or at least filler that could pass for them. Either way, this album's going by quickly. But "Waterfall"'s the only song in the last four that I'd actually ask myself to put on. And I'm going to keep comparing this band to M83 if it keeps naming stuff after UFOs.

"Princess of China"

The Rihanna one. Something cute about two of the most middlebrow, singles-only artists in recent memory being so in love with one another. But it's no "Disturbia." This is actually kind of chillwave -- check that stiff backbeat and frayed-out synth rain. But it cleans house significantly for RiRi's verse. If you think this isn't going to be a huge hit single, you're out of your fucking brain. "You stole my star" she sings. Uh, yeah.

"Up in Flames"

One of those pretty-good McBallads that Martin conjures up whenever he needs to fill that quota; it's this album's "Fix You" but with the space-rimshots from OutKast's "Elevators." But this is probably much tighter than "Fix You". Maybe even "The Scientist." I like this one a lot. Twisty harmonized falsetto hook of my dreams, and yes, guitar near the end. Weird how Coldplay's "pop" album is also definitely its "rock" album. Maybe this band is just gaining definition?

"A Hopeful Transmission"

30 seconds of muted worldbeat and strings, damn this went fast.

"Don't Let It Break Your Heart"

Lots o' big cymbal crashes and a skittering Pet Shop Boys bedrock in the verses. Occasionally the Irish bit from "Waterfall" sneaks back in. This one probably goes over huge live, if that's such a thing at a Coldplay show. I've never been to a Coldplay show. Do they rock?

"Up with the Birds"

Just a little trifle to end this remarkably joyous and fast-moving record that ends up being kind of greater than the sum of its parts. Certainly more so than that stupid M83 album. But is the biggest band in the world the biggest band in the world yet? Well, not necessarily. It's still too polite about space and musical economy, about not taking risks or busying up a chord sequence when they could drag out one somber note. But Coldplay isn't U2, because Chris Martin lacks the dominating ability to bludgeon you the way Bono does.

If there's an Only Band That Matters to compare them to, it's the Police, the never-cool band that nevertheless forced cool people to notice it in addition to the rest of the world. And Mylo Xyloto is definitely a Zenyatta Mondatta-esque title. You could call this Coldplay's Synchronicity, even though Sting/Andy/Stewart wrote both tighter ("Every Breath You Take") and looser ("Mother"). "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" makes the encrypted stalker's motto "Breath" sound as scary as it really is by comparison. And that's not necessarily a bad thing for either one.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/11/coldplays_mylo_xyloto_a_first.php

Coldplay+Mylo+Xyloto.jpg

Album review: Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Fans have had to wait since 2008 for a new offering from UK alternative rock band Coldplay, and it’s finally here. A seasoned Coldplay fan, I have waited long enough and I kind of like what I hear. Mylo Xyloto is different. In comparison to previous albums, it’s techno, electronic and far more of a concept album than any of the others and comprises of all things atmospheric. It heads in a different direction and its crossover into the pop realm will reel in more mainstream listeners, though it’s not entirely a sell-out on their original intense style.

Mylo Xyloto: The title intro sucks you into the atmospheric dystopia of the entire album. Tender chimes and subtle acoustics build delicate momentum before the storm that is...

Hurts Like Heaven: Upbeat and uncharacteristically happy, Chris Martin has you bopping and jiving. Toe tapping guitar laced with synth is the first indication of the band’s new venture.

Paradise: Stunning. Slight allusions to orchestra and almost narrative themes, the lyrics are hopeful and sweet – totally lacking creativity but I love it nonetheless. The video being filmed here has nothing to do with my bias. I promise. This gets stuck in your head. I think this is my favourite.

Charlie Brown: Ah, now there’s that spark that Coldplay are notorious for. It’s almost reminiscent of Shiver and the sheer simplicity of the melody really does show their abilities minus techno gimmicks. The purity of the piano keys makes this song stand out as a true Coldplay track.

Us against the World: Heavily relying on soft acoustics and Martin’s voice, as he breathes “it’s us against the world” upon the delicate strings, the song strays off on a different path to the other songs. I like this one. It’s a pleasant reintroduction of Martin’s sweet voice.

M.M.I.X: This interlude is just a trip through space. I don’t know where they’re going with these snippets of space dementia. Perhaps it’s just the theme of the album – confusion. (Don’t worry, even I don’t know what ‘Mylo Xyloto’ is either.)

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall: Poppy, irritating and the jocks will love it. Not your typical Coldplay. I can’t say much more than this – don’t try this at home if you wish to make good rock music. I really dislike it, even though this is the first single off the album and was meant to set the tone. It is clearly not indicative of the album as a whole.

Major Minus: A collision of edgy acoustics and raw electric riffs, this is a keeper. Despite repetitive lyrics, the guitar solo makes it worthwhile. This is guitarist Jonny Buckland at his best. He doesn’t do too much, but it’s just enough for what the song requires.

U.F.O: A stripped-down acoustic track. I. Love. So. Much. Coldplay to the core. Simple guitar work and Martin as his most vulnerable beautiful self. This song is one for easy listening.

Princess of China: Questionable. Rihanna. WTH? The potential to mass appeal does nothing for the album and for Coldplay’s reputation. This is Coldplay. Not David Guetta. If it weren’t Coldplay along with the pop star, I may have liked it if dancing in a club.

Up in Flames: Ah, stunning. The first time you hear Martin’s voice go hand in hand with a piano alone. Though by comparison to classic piano tracks from this band, it fails to captivate in the same fashion, and leaves you wanting.

A Hopeful Transmission: 33 seconds of orchestral beats. Simple, setting the tone for the final two tracks.

Don’t Let it Break Your Heart: Hark! An anthem! It has you running alongside the melody and distils a fraction of classic Coldplay, but not quite. It’s as if they’re trying too hard to pull the album back to the days of X&Y.

Up With the Birds: It has you hanging alongside Martin’s voice off the piano keys. Lacklustre but still somewhat old Coldplay, and again, an attempt at trying to sound like themselves.

Conclusion: The sounds are far more space-like and there is less focus on individual instruments; rather what comes out of putting them together. Chris Martin’s voice is far less controlled than previous albums and piano has almost disappeared. Mylo Xyloto is far more Viva La Vida than Parachutes and Coldplay seems to be going in the Muse/Radiohead direction of electronica, but not nearly as gravity-defying. Rather, it’s like having Coldplay lending themselves to being played in clubs with a bit of a remix. I do like some of it and wouldn’t knock it entirely, because technically it’s beautiful and has a few gems. Despite the reach for new heights, it fails in comparison to A Rush of Blood to the Head. It features a few moments of classic Coldplay, however focuses too heavily on appealing to the masses rather than real fans.

Rating: 6/10

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/2011/11/07/album-review-coldplay---mylo-xyloto

Image.ashx

Coldplay Comes Back with Electricity

Mylo Xyloto – Coldplay

Usually the last thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Coldplay is electronics. On Mylo Xyloto, the band uses it to their advantage. I am very happy to report that this change in musical character has only added to Coldplay’s style.

The band has said that Mylo Xyloto is in fact, a concept album about two lovers (Mylo and Xyloto) going against an oppressive society and ultimately finding happiness. This isn’t stressed too much on the album, but it all works out quite nicely. With other influences like the White Rose movement from World War II to “old school American graffiti,” this album has to be special.

Though it’s evident throughout the entire album, the electric feel is at its best in songs like “Paradise,” where strings and synths work into a crescendo that explodes into piano, a classic Coldplay staple.

Chris Martin’s vocals are as great, as heartbreaking, and as likable as ever on Mylo. From the slower songs like “Us Against the World” to the more upbeat ones like “Hurts Like Heaven,” Martin is able to keep it all down to earth with vocals that have become so familiar, it’s comforting.

The one song that a lot of people have been talking about is Coldplay’s collaboration with Rihanna. “Princess of China” is not the best song on the album, but it did beat this columnist’s expectations. Also, it’s pretty darn catchy for a match-up that could’ve been too awkward. This isn’t that awkward, but a pleasant surprise.

Despite the new electronic elements and the bright and wonderful artwork, Mylo Xyloto is classic Coldplay. It is optimistic, thoughtful, heartbreaking, and an album that can warm up any crisp fall day.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/articleid/470915/newspaperid/6/Hear_Say_Coldplay_Comes_Back_with_Electricity_and_Florence__The_Machine_Brings_on_the_Drama.aspx

Has anyone already psted the HITSDAILYDOUBLE review?

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news08756m01

Coldplay, Xylo Myloto (Capitol): The blogosphere hate for these U.K. pop-rockers is reminiscent of that directed toward the Police in their heyday. It’s not hard to see why. Both are fronted by pretty boys boasting powerful alpha wives, and have a tendency towards album and song titles that defy literal meaning but are catchy as hell (Zenyatta Mondatta and “De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da,” anyone?). Maybe it’s just envy or jealousy, but all that critical venom has put Chris Martin and company a bit on the defensive for their fifth album. While it’s not a game-changer in the Joshua Tree, Kid A or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot mold, Xylo Myloto fits in neatly as a worthy sequel to Viva La Vida’s lush melodies and humble self-deprecation, exploring many of the same themes of love and power lost, trying to create a cocoon of comfort in a world where drowning (“Paradise”), burning (“Up in Flames”) or simply flying away (“Up with the Birds”) are the only real alternatives. Martin declares it’s “Us Against the World” in the song of the same name and in the “Sympathy for the Devil”-like oo-hoo background vocals of “Major Minus” (“They got one eye watching you/One eye on what you do/So be careful cause nothing they say is true”), then identifies with another put-upon Peanuts character in the glow-in-the-dark black light of “Charlie Brown.” “I turn the music up/I got my records on,” he declares in “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall.” “I shut the world outside until the lights come on… I feel my heart start beating to my favorite song.” Which is exactly the thrill we get when guitarist Jonny Buckland punches home the best melodies here, with a chiming riff in “Hurts Like Heaven,” plucked chords in the seductive “Paradise,” the clanging bell of “Us Against the World,” the Edge-like stabbing chords in “Major Minus,” the gleaming sparkle of “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” and the twangy refrain in “Up With the Birds.” Martin’s lyrics remain elusive—some would say greeting card lame—but often find the macro in the micro, reiterating the phrase “Every tear a waterfall” in both “Paradise” and the song of the same name, while crooning, “Like a river to a raindrop” in “Up Against the World.” “Do you ever get the feeling you’re missing the mark?” he asks in the opening “Hurts Like Heaven,” with a vaulted chorus that transforms the profane into a sacred cathedral. In “Paradise,” he paraphrases the famous British ‘60s editorial about the Rolling Stones drug bust, “The wheel breaks the butterfly,” while in “Us Against the World,” he reiterates his desire for escape, returning to the simultaneous cleansing and destructive aspect of water (“And if we could float away/Fly up to the surface and just start again/And lift off before trouble/Just erodes us in the rain”). There are some classic Coldplay moments in “Paradise,” “Every Teardrop…,” “Major Minus” and the Viva La Vida-style rave-up “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart,” worthy additions to the oeuvre—while the Rihanna collaboration, “Princess of China,” has an Ibiza-like, Eurodisco dance-floor buzz that hints at further stylistic growth. Other notable touches include Martin’s falsetto and the Beach Boys harmonies on “Up in Flames” (“Can we pour some water on?”), the ambient Eno-xificated wash in “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” and “Up With the Birds” and the final Will Champion drum solo that brings “Every Teardrop…” to its abrupt conclusion. Still, you can’t help but feel Chris Martin’s frustration on Xylo Myloto, trying to make a big statement, but putting the entire idea down at the same time, longing for consensus, but realizing pop has fragmented into so many pieces that all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can’t put it back together again. “Don’t want to see another generation drop,” he sings. “I’d rather be a comma than a full stop.” Which just about sums up the Coldplay dilemma… They’re damned if they try, and damned if they don’t. So they end up finding refuge somewhere in between. Which is no place for a rock band, especially one this talented.

79953_328437.jpg

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Coldplay’s fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto is a stunning and solid record.

A step on from 2008’s highest selling album, Viva La Vida, and following runaway successes of every album they have ever released, there was a certain pressure on Coldplay to deliver something of equal or greater standard.

“We felt like so many people have already made up their minds about us, both good and bad, that we can sort of start again from scratch and try and reflect all the music we listen to and we love,” says Chris Martin of the record.

And the product?

Coldplay’s most synthetic and experimental album yet; a ‘concept’ album set in a dystopic future, based around the narrative of two young lovers.

Mylo Xyloto is a great album, the perfect mix of melodic hooks and lyrics that only Chris Martin could get away with, and a new style of electronic-acoustic fusion that sees Coldplay embrace and put their own spin on recent music trends.

“Now we have Justin Bieber and Adele to compete with and they’re a lot younger,” says Martin. “We have to have the energy to put as much effort into our work as they do”.

Rihanna features on Princess of China, which is quite a risky move for a band that has never really collaborated before. Before hearing the track, it’s hard to imagine a sound where both Chris Martin and Riri can comfortably perform together. But there was never a worry; the song is an epic mix of grandiose electric guitar and Asian-flavored synthetic pop with a distinct Coldplay twist that has made room for Rihanna to do her thing.

Other highlights include the instant classic Charlie Brown , which is the sort of Coldplay song that people will know the melody of but not actually know the title of the song (it is the closest the album comes to reminiscing on Viva ), Hurts Like Heaven , the closing track Up With The Birds and, of course, the first two singles from the album, Paradise and the fun Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (we’re still dancing from Splendour).

The album is lacking in the sort of acoustic love songs that have made them famous (fans will not find any updated versions of The Scientist or Fix You ), but this doesn’t really seem to matter. The closest Mylo Xyloto gets is the slow-burning Up In Flames, which is essentially a break-up song that has a gorgeously mellow tone to it.

In all, another home run for Coldplay. 8/10.

http://www.samesame.com.au/reviews/7576/Coldplay--Mylo-Xyloto.htm

logo-white.png

Coldplay: A Review of “Mylo Xyloto” from a Humble Fan

Consider this my love letter to the band Coldplay.

We’ve all had a few moments over the past decade when we’ve fallen in love with them, right? I can remember when “Yellow” first came out and I would embarrassingly bop along to it in the car. And who didn’t dream of floating on some sort of space cloud while listening to “X&Y”?

After some tough critique of their fourth album, “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends,” I wasn’t sure if they’d be able to bounce back to the same quality that they had before.

So, with a cautious click, I pre-ordered their latest album, “Mylo Xyloto,” and waited as patiently as I could for October 24. Leading up to the release, Chris Martin said that this album is “a love story in a big, dark, scary city.” He also said that it’s about “a boy and a girl and a group of like-minded people in a sort of George Orwell-type or Kafkaesque world. But it’s hopeful, because it’s about people trying to transcend troubles.”

With that in mind, let’s take a journey in the land of Mylo.

•“Hurts Like Heaven” – This song talks a little bit about graffiti on park bridges and street signs. It features a catchy tune with a lightly rebellious message. It tries to convey an upbeat message about living and fighting with our hearts on our sleeves which is probably needed in today’s world.

•“Paradise” – I think this song is the “X&Y” of this album. It’s ethereal and dreamy and lovely and anthemic. Can you tell I like this one quite a bit? I think we can all relate, on some level, to the “girl” in this song, who “ran away in her sleep and dreamed of paradise.”

•“Charlie Brown” – You can really feel the love story plotline start to surface in this song and in “Paradise.” It speaks to a longing for freedom from an everyday, normal life or routine. Who doesn’t want to “run wild” and start to “glow-in-the-dark?” As the beginning to a love story, it makes me think of the little red-headed girl that Charlie Brown was so in love with, his very cute and young crush.

•“Us Against the World” – Remember those troubles Martin mentioned? We start to hear about them here. The whole song sounds like a hymn or a lullaby. It is very soft in response to the hard cruelties of reality. Whether you need to be pumped up or lulled away to dystopia, this song can do both.

•“Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” – This was the first single off of the album, and it’s easy to see why. One of the lyrics that really stand out is the fact that “I’d rather be a comma than a full stop.” (A “full stop” is a period at the end of a sentence, for those of you not in the know of British slang.) The revolution in the world of Mylo is turning hopeful; the voice in this song is now triumphant and optimistic, which is a great song to release on the radio.

•“Major Minus” – In all honesty, this is my favorite song on the album. Whoever the Big Brother/government figure is in Mylo has “one eye on what you knew and one eye on what you do, so be careful who it is you’re talking to.” Scary, right? Our romantic couple has gone into hiding, it seems like, but hasn’t given up the fight quite yet.

•“U.F.O.” – One of the more acoustic tracks featured on the album, and because of that it sort of reminds me of the movie “Once,” which I also highly recommend. It’s very melodic and very short, as it’s less than three minutes long. Because its sound is less produced and more real, it feels very personal. I’d call it a ballad written by a romantic realist.

•“Princess of China (featuring Rihanna)” – A blatant fairytale of a song, “Princess” is about the what-could-have-been. This song uses international influences that definitely help paint a picture of heartbreak and betrayal. I don’t know if it fits strictly into the love story arc of the album, but it sure is catchy.

•“Up in Flames” – In what sounds like the last song of the album, the speaker laments that “it’s over.” The fight and the hope that used to be very prevalent are no longer around. Either they’ve been defeated or they’ve given up. Now would be a good time to point out that the entire album ended up being my soundtrack while I read “The Hunger Games” trilogy. It’s very fitting, trust me.

•“Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” – Well, this is much more positive than the last song. This is all about putting your nose to the grindstone, even if it feels like you’re “trying to catch a cannonball.” Anything is possible with this tune behind you.

•“Up With the Birds” – When you listen to this song, tell me what you think the birds sound like (around the 1:34 mark). Because I’m almost convinced those are whales and not birds. Whatever. I also think of “Somewhere over the Rainbow” during this song, especially when he sings that he “might have to go where they don’t know my name.” Don’t worry though, everyone. The story has an optimistic ending: “A simple thought, but I know one thing: good things are coming our way.”

Now, go listen to this amazing album. Don’t take my word for it. It’s a perfect blend of Coldplay style and imagination that makes for a great experience.

http://www.witandfancy.com/2011/11/07/coldplay-a-review-of-mylo-xyloto-from-a-humble-fan/

The Culture Guru: MYLO XYLOTO Review

Coldplay is no stranger to being at the top of the charts, so MYLO XYLOTO was largely a preordained commercial success (447,000 copies sold in its debut week attest to that). But could it live up to the critics’ high expectations, including mine? With the band coming off its #1 2008 effort, Viva La Vida Or Death and All Its Friends, fans were looking for the classic Coldplay sound with a bit of musical evolution thrown in. Another Coldplay album that sounded exactly like the others would spell a horrible critical reception, so hopes (and stakes) were high for the band.

I’ve taken the album and condensed it to the five best tracks that are well worth the listen.

Note: The tracks “Mylo Xyloto,” “M.M.I.X.,” and “A Hopeful Transition” were not up for consideration, as they are short, transitional jams to make the sound transfer from track to track more fluid.

“Hurts Like Heaven”

Coldplay starts out incredibly strong with a single-worth track that’s fun and almost spacey. The lyrics are poetic (You use your heart like a weapon/and it hurts like Heaven) and the touch of electric guitar fit the song perfectly. Great track.

“Paradise”

Using violins and a slower beat, this track stands alone as one of the best. Chris Martin’s voice rings clearly with the simple piano and drum backing. The lyrics continue to convey beautiful emotion (And so lying underneath those stormy skies/She said, “Oh, I know the sun must set to rise). Absolutely phenomenal track.

“Us Against The World”

Listening to this track, I was absolutely blown away. Incredibly reminiscent of George Harrison’s “All Things Must Pass” from the 1970 album of the same name, Coldplay uses this acoustic track to prove that their sound transcends the more heavily instrumental backing they often use. Progressive and amazing song.

“Princess of China f/ Rihanna”

The most progressive song of the album, Rihanna brings a more electronic/synthesized vibe to the track. Rihanna and Martin’s voices mix together beautifully in this anthem of lost love and heartbreak. I’d bet on it coming out as a single in the coming weeks and a chart-topping single at that.

“Don’t Let It Break Your Heart”

If you liked “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall,” this is your new favorite song. This track represents an instrumental part of the album’s overall vibe: the classic sound that’s fun to listen that also serves as an indicator of Coldplay’s musical development in the past few years.

Best album of 2011? In my opinion, MYLO XYLOTO could be. If this doesn’t win a Grammy of some sort, there is no justice in this world. Jokes, of course, but this album is nothing short of phenomenal. Coldplay has done it again.

http://voice.regisjesuit.com/2011/11/featured-stories/the-culture-guru-mylo-xyloto-review

Coldplay-Mylo-Xyloto-cover.jpg

They are the most mainstream thing going, they can sell out stadiums all over the world. And yes, they can inspire a hatred in a musical purist unbeknownst to the world. However I am going to take that step out and say… I like Coldplay. No, I LOVE COLDPLAY! Their 5th album Mylo Xyloto may confuse with its title, but don’t be afraid: an explanation is out there. They want this album to stand alone, to be one not related to any concepts and hence such a bizarre title.

As far as the album goes, it is a bit of a flowery look at how hippy and UN-mainstream they can go; it’s all about bringing colour into the world. Now, as you may have seen from the video to ‘Every Teardrop is a Waterfall’ they have hit the colour bandwagon with gusto (read the single review here; see the visual featured as a Video of the Moment here). As far as the songs go, it’s a change from the Coldplay of old. The lyrics are still as nonsensical as ever, but in songs like ‘Major Minus’ you can really hear Chris Martin getting his rocks off and that, my friends, is commendable.

‘Charlie Brown’ is another track I want to single out. Not just because I do love a bit of Snoopy, but for the fact that it’s one of those songs so jam-packed full on energy that you just want to leap out of your chair and start dancing. Sure, ‘Every Teardrop…’ is a bit weak, and as first singles from the album would have gone, ‘Paradise’(Video of the Moment here) would have slid onto the airwaves a lot easier. But hey, maybe Coldplay’s adventure here is something we need to acknowledge.

‘Up In Flames’ is really nothing special, but coming after the truly beautiful ‘Princess of China’ it really can’t stand up as anything of merit. The fact that it is Coldplay, though, ensures that this album will be successful and why not? Anyone who has seen them live will give testament to the fact that they are a superb live band, they make music that brings happiness to millions worldwide and when it comes down to it they all seem like genuinely nice guys.

So hey, when you see this album, don’t knock it because it’s Coldplay. Pick up a copy, you may just be surprised.

8/10

http://fmdb.co.uk/33440/album-review-coldplay-%E2%80%93-mylo-xyloto/

Album Review: Coldplay’s “Mylo Xyloto”

It has been a long road since Coldplay emerged in the early 2000s with “Parachutes” and “A Rush of Blood to the Head;” at that point the young English band was only an underground alternative here in the states, with a small yet dedicated following. It’s been three years since Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” album that rocked the US charts and grew the band’s status globally, and fans old and new were anxious for the new album. Enter Mylo Xyloto; the band’s fifth album (Coldplay’s album releases have followed a three year pattern) and a climax of everything good about Coldplay. “Viva la Vida” turned off many of the bands original fans due to the tracks more pop-flavored and “made for radio” sound. But Mylo Xyloto appeases to the older fans and pop fans while still experimenting in the growth of their sound.

The album opens up with a heavy keys ambiance intro much in the style of their last album. The title track intro of “Mylo Xyloto” transitions into “Hurts Like Heaven” which is a fast paced combination of natural and electronic notes. It’s a classic Coldplay combination of acoustic, electronic, and vocal instruments that give an interstellar rhythm to set the stage for the rest of the album. The third track called “Paradise” is one of the more pop filled songs and at first sounds more like a Kanye West intro filled with contemporary beats. But Martin brings it back to a quiet piano first verse that crescendos to the epic chorus. “Paradise” is a prime example of how Coldplay incorporated new hip-hop sounds with simple verses to build an echoing and fantastic finish. “Charlie Brown” has a “Viva La Vida” feel, with a steady bass drum beat throughout creating a nostalgic mood worthy of slide-shows and ceremonies. “Us Against the World” is a deep acoustic lullaby similar to X&Y’s “Till Kingdom Come”; where Martin sings of a loss of a friend and forgotten memories. “M.M.I.X.” is another transitional song. “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall”, one of the singles released earlier this summer with opening notes that will be iconic for years to come. “Major Minus” has a dark and tense experimental sound such as “Cemeteries of London” and “Yes” from “Viva La Vida”. “U.F.O.” is raw acoustic track that seems to be a prayer about heaven, showing Coldplay’s growing focus on spiritual themes. In contrast “Princess of China” features hip-hop star Rihanna heavily, and unfortunately has a lot of “Rihanna” and not enough Coldplay. It’s the one song that could have been left out of the album and have been saved for a separate single radio release. But “Up Flames” recovers the album’s flow as it incorporates a heavy bass beat with Martin’s echoing voice. Mylo Xylo concludes with another transition title called “A Hopeful Transmission”, “Don’t Let It break Your Heart”, and “Up with the Birds”–two retrospects to an older Coldplay style.

Coldplay has continued to develop their live stage presence and their rigorous tour schedule this summer pushed the sound and spectacle of Mylo Exlyo. Just days after the release of the album, the band put on a live show from Madrid on youtube for all to watch–and the band did not disappoint. Lead singer Chris Martin’s energy and interaction with the fans is fun-loving, unique, and altogether entertaining to watch even on a youtube channel. Coldplay’s use of internet and social media has shown how bands can use the internet to advertise their sound and style. Mylo Xylo shows the mastery of Coldplay’s live sound, and can be labeled as our generation’s “U2”.

Whether you’ve been there since the start, or are just now arriving, the Coldplay bandwagon is one that will appease to a variety of musical preferences and tastes. The Englishmen’s passion for entertainment and love for their fans is genuine, even as their sound grows to a globally iconic resignation. Mylo Xylo is a culmination of the best Coldplay has to offer, so go ahead–there is no shame in beginning to listen right now.

http://spartanedge.com/2011/11/07/album-review-coldplay%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cmylo-xyloto%E2%80%9D/

W3HhPYkKni0Z_t.jpg

I have always been a fan of underdogs and contrarian opinions. That's one reason why I can't stand the clique nature of music journalism, critics who band together and decide which artists to inexplicably mock through snark and which to symbolically blow through glowing reviews. You think mainstream media is ridiculous when it comes to pack journalism? Just spend 30 minutes trolling the indie music websites and you'd swear there was some hipster memo delivered to the writers every Monday morning with that week's talking points.

All that being said, I really wanted to like Coldplay's latest, if only to be able to show how unfair music writers were being to this band. In the first few months that Coldplay started showing up in U.S. press there was a genuine appreciation for the band, then once they started to get air play on the radio (remember the radio?) and pack clubs, then theaters, then stadiums, then the daggers came out. Problem is, it's tough to think of one of the biggest-selling bands in the world as an underdog and even harder to defend them when their latest album is an exercise in mediocrity. In countless interviews as well as the press materials accompanying the pretentiously-titled Mylo Xyloto, the band talks about how they were going for a different sound. Funny how it sounds exactly like the last few Coldplay releases, which sound like a band trying to put out their best U2 album (the band even sought out U2's go-to producer Brain Eno for this one again).

The album is not terrible, just not terribly original either. The song "Charlie Brown" sounds like it was cribbed from one of Springsteen's late ‘70s songbooks ("Stole a key/took a car downtown where the Lost Boys meet"), and the Rihanna duet "Princess of China" could have been composed solely for the purpose of ending up on an American Idol finale. The rest of the songs just sound like an earnest band trying to hide behind overproduction. There are definitely worse albums out there right now, but that shouldn't be the best thing you can say about your own.

5/10

http://blurt-online.com/reviews/view/3432/

6182596712_aabe5ed11d_b.jpg

Mylo Xyloto: Great, colourful anthems

Coldplay is cherished as one of the most groundbreaking bands in the music scene. For three years, fans waited patiently for their next move. Mylo Xyloto is the pursuit of the pop-techno dream.

Mylo Xyloto is eccentric, but addictive. It stands as Coldplay’s fifth studio album and the follow up of Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends. Don’t be fooled if you (want to) believe that the style is still the same. This time, Coldplay decided to make a stand and show us that they’re still capable of making great, colourful anthems.

The direction is different and sometimes the combination of so many sounds can be overwhelming. There is a sense of trying to reach out to mainstream listeners and using princess of pop Rihanna as a surprise effect is a brilliant move. Princess of China is a song about love and loss, turned into a catchy, flawless pop tune.

It all kicks off with a subtle intro that instantaneously gets you into the mood of the album, followed by Hurts like Heaven, a genuinely happy song. Charlie Brown and the album’s second single, Paradise make you shiver with their toe tapping guitars and hints of R&B. Nevertheless, there isn’t exactly one song that can match the stunning sound of Yellow or Clocks. Up in Flames and Us Against the World might resemble it slightly, but the beat isn’t innovative.

Throughout their career, Coldplay always received mixed reviews, this new album is no exception. Considered, by some, the darlings of British music, they’re making it hard for critics with Mylo Xyloto. On the one hand, reviews point to a fresh sound, influenced by famous producer Brian Eno. The spirituality and depth of the lyrics that they got us used to is still there, perhaps in a more secretive way, waiting for us to slowly understand it. Their success is also illustrated by being first in the UK, USA and most European countries album charts.

On the other hand, you want to like it so much that you pretend you don’t see some of the cliches that commercial music got us used to for the past few years. It’s clear that they want us to get involved in their new musical adventure, but listeners need a transition period to get used to the bittersweet Mylo Xyloto.

Coldplay will always be that band that stands out no matter what style and sound they use. Let’s just hope that their uniqueness and capacity of making our heart skip a beat never gets lost.

http://www.wnol.info/?p=12720

250__~gauntlet_eg_eg2_20111110_coldplay_web.jpg

Spun: Coldplay

It has now been over a decade since Coldplay released their first album, Parachutes. For their fifth album, the band builds on the Brian Eno-infused sounds of Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008).

With Mylo Xyloto, we are treated to the standard Coldplay themes — Chris Martin’s soaring melodies and falsetto, along with optimistic lyrics — but this album jumps around too much to act as a single unit. The songs move from European nightclub hits to soft acoustic ballads. The highs are a bit too high and the lows a bit too low. After listening to the album a number of times, I’m still unconvinced that there was much effort put into the track order — unlike Viva la Vida, it fails to take the listener on a journey.

That doesn’t mean that Coldplay haven’t put together some great songs. “Charlie Brown” wins points for being in an unconventional time signature. “Us Against the World” shows Martin’s voice at his best: exploring his whole range by hitting low notes, then rising to a powerful crescendo. Eno’s recognizable sound is present throughout but thankfully not overbearing.

Mylo Xyloto is still worth a listen despite its flaws, but it’s far from Coldplay’s finest work.

http://thegauntlet.ca/story/15912

Album: Mylo Xyloto Artist: Coldplay Rating:4 out of 10

With the release of their fifth album 'Mylo Xyloto', the boys had a lot to live up to in order to match their sucsess from their previous CD's.

On the technical side of things the album is everything you would expect from the band and is a comforting listen to the ears; a vast rage of instruments always adds some flavour to a song. One thing that did stand out for me was the albums composure, the entire feel of the album seems to be one big dream.

The new record still has that same classic Coldplay sound, but it seems to lack that special something that has made the band so different to others. In certain parts of the album it feels very dry and forced and even a little fake in some tracks such as 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall'. Compared to some of their previous work it is a huge disappointment.

However songs such as 'Paradise' and 'Charlie Brown' stand as a reminder that the band still have some creative juices left in them. Despite this it isn't enough to make up for the general lack of drive on the record.

On the whole it is an average album at best, which is a big let down from what was at one time one of the most individual bands out. It is worth a listen if you are a Coldplay fan, but I wouldn't recommend going out your way to hear it.

http://www.nohoartsdistrict.com/brit-scene/item/790-album-mylo-xyloto-artist-coldplay-rating4-out-of-10