✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy Berryman on MX

bobotheduk

He's def. there in Major Minus. I suppose you would need to use headphones to hear it. But I guess this album would 'belong' more to Jonny and perhaps Chris.

Speaking of Guy, he just seems kinda sad for some reason lately except for the interview with Jonny during the Q awards. It's prolly just my imagination but he really seems bummed out to me. I have no evidence to say this but perhaps he's not 100% with the new direction? (to be clear, i'm not an MX hater)

uh, I listened to all the latest interviews with him and Will and I've never heard him so chatty before :uhoh:

I don't think he's against the direction they've taken as when I met him back in March he seemed to be super excited about how the album recording was going :shrug:

As for the the basslines, I have listened to MX just once and I didn't pay too much attention, but talking about tracks I had already heard, as the other have said Major Minus' bassline is pretty recognisable, and I really like ETIAW's one as well.

uh, I listened to all the latest interviews with him and Will and I've never heard him so chatty before :uhoh:

I don't think he's against the direction they've taken as when I met him back in March he seemed to be super excited about how the album recording was going :shrug:

As for the the basslines, I have listened to MX just once and I didn't pay too much attention, but talking about tracks I had already heard, as the other have said Major Minus' bassline is pretty recognisable, and I really like ETIAW's one as well.

Only once, really?

Hmmmm, the bass is the base of every song. He doesn't need a solo. He's everywhere and he is brilliant.

THIS. ;)

I think that he is everywhere in MX. Steve Lamaq noticed that and said to Chris on the last BBC6 interview and Chris agreed with him that this album has a lot of Guy.

Sorry I kinda derailed from what OP was saying.

Iunno, i'm aware that none of the guys really like the spotlight besides Chris but Will does have interesting things to say when he does say it and at least him and Jonny look a bit more engaged to an interview than Guy does. I could be way off base here, but it's just what i'm seeing.

Anyone feel slightly sorry for him? Seems to just be background in every song and never gets a solo or a track where you can really here the bass as an individual instrument.

I think he's just as prominent as he is on the rest of the albums. Bass solos could be something for LP6!!!

Sorry I kinda derailed from what OP was saying.

Iunno, i'm aware that none of the guys really like the spotlight besides Chris but Will does have interesting things to say when he does say it and at least him and Jonny look a bit more engaged to an interview than Guy does. I could be way off base here, but it's just what i'm seeing.

Chris doesnt like it either but as he's the frontman he has less choice than Guy, Will and Jonny

I think the opposite, his bass on MX is rock solid start to finish. One of the high points of the album for me. You must not have your low noises turned up enough on whatever device you listen too most. 99% of all albums don't prominantly feature the bass, and bass solo's are even rarer. The Van Halen bass solo Ultra Bass by Michael Anthony is a fantastic bass solo though.

The guy I feel sorry for in the rhythym section is Will, there are a few songs where he isn't doing much at all with the drums. Granted he makes up for it with backup vocals and playing some other instruments.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuExbhkA3c]Van Halen - Ultra Bass[/ame]

I don't we should "feel sorry" for any member on MX.

Songs with excellent basslines:

-Major Minus

-ETIAW

-Paradise

Good-ish basslines:

-UATW: well, it's really short, but one of the most powerful moments of the album.

-POC: not in the foreground but it still sounds good and does what it needs to do.

-HLH, CB, and DLIBYH: same

Meh basslines:

-UIF - Guy only has a small part, but it's a minimalist song anyways

-UWTB...maybe I have to listen again but it's not very prominent at all

-MX - it's quieter on album than live so it's not as good

No bassline:

-UFO (I think)

I don't think there's enough bassis to say Guy's not having a good time on this album.

Not to mention he plays the synth on ETIAW! :)

*And Will does a great job on this album....HLH, CB, ETIAW, Paradise, Major Minus, UIF...even if some of it is drum machine that's still Will having fun and making good stuff...and live it's all Will.