✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy Berryman on MX

bobotheduk

This is by his own choice. He could be rocking out all over the stage if he wanted to, (it's not like he is not allowed to), but he is shy. He also rarely likes to give interviews or anything like that. He's definitely playing well and an equal part of the band however.

By the way, he's also the most wealthy of the band members due to his clothing store that he used to have added onto the massive Coldplay income.

I think that Guy is the most expendable member of the band actually.

I'm not arguing that there is a chance of Coldplay surviving without one of his members, I do think that none of them will ever quit and that a split would give the band an end, but if somebody could quit without greater harm to the whole, this is Guy, and then Will and Jonny on the same level.

The head, the heart and the arms of Coldplay is CM, no doubt :shrug:

I'm not arguing that there is a chance of Coldplay surviving without one of his members, I do think that none of them will ever quit and that a split would give the band an end, but if somebody could quit without greater harm to the whole, this is Guy, and then Will and Jonny on the same level.

And the evil eye is Will!

That's true, but that's true for pretty much every bass player outside of like 5, Flea being the most notable.

In terms of live performance, i'd say Jonny is more replacable than Will. Technically his stuff isn't all that difficult, he is just very good at writing catchy melodies.

There is no Coldplay without Chris Martin.

Don't really understand where this thread is coming from, because I've never seen Guy look happier.

He's never said more in interviews and he seems genuinely into the music they're making. Which you couldn't say before...

Honestly, I don't think he's ever been the heart of the music. But I'd say he seems to be now, more than ever.

Yeah.

When you're a bass player, you can't expect to be in the spotlight.

But every single member of Coldplay is important to make their music sound like it should sound.

Some things, like for example the bass lines are rarely recognized by people who don't care for the music that much, but it would sound different, if the bass line wouldn't be there.

I agree at some point about Guy's part in this album.

Here the point of view from me, a bassplayer:

Including a bass and drum rating between 1 and 10

In general he's mixed to the background(at first, there's where the basic rhythm should be, and hey.. bass is rhythm! But that doesn't mean that it should be covered up by other instruments, which happens a way to much in this album.)

Let me start from the beginning to the end, song by song.

1: Mylo Xyolo: | N.A

If this song was done before the live version, then I assume that Guy added the bass for the live versions, in the recording I can't hear any of it. Live he plays all trough the song an A#

2: Hurts Like Heaven: | 5/10

Bass has to much low, the higher notes and hammer-ons are barely noticeable.

This song has also to much of the kick. I think the sound engineer doesn't know how to mix Drums and Bass correctly.

3: Paradise: | 8/10

Finaly, how it should be! But again, the bass and drums are mixed in a bad way!

4: Charlie Brown: | 7/10

What is going on with this highly irritating kick all over the album? It doesn't do the bass any good.

5: Us Against The World: | N.A

This is a good mix for the bass. Here Guy is clearly noticeable.

6: M.M.I.X: | N.A

I'll skip this one.

7: Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall: | 8/10

The bass and kick mix is good, at the end. The low synth and bass however, horrible!

The synth pushes away the bass completely, nearly not hearable.

8: Major Minus: | 9/10

Great hearable bass! Why is this the only song with the correct mix? I don't understand this engineer anymore!

9: U.F.O: | N.A

The bass and drum mix in this album is horrible, but this song is even more.

How can a Electric bass and upright bass(or low cello in this case) EVER sound good together?

10: Princess of China: | 3/10

See the description for Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall.

11: Up in Flames: | 2/10

There is bass, I know there is.. however.. why is this kick hiding it? Poor mixing, very poor. Even with this heavy, low and unusual kick, with correct mixing the bass could be made more noticeable.

12: A Hopeful Transmission: | N.A

I'll skip this one.

13: Don't Let It Break Your Heart: | 9/10

Great bassline and good balance between drum and bass, well mixed song!

14: Up With the Birds: | 3/10

This is horrible, the bass is even hiding behind the rhythm guitars, the bassline itself seems to be great! But it's not noticeable enough to make it any better.

As you all see, it could be so much better, even with the materials they used for the songs.

The poor mixing just made it worse than it could be.

If i have to rate the album and the overall mix it would be:

Album: 8/10

Mix: 4/10

I think the band would not exist if one of the members would quit. I think CM is not Coldplay without his friends... he needs them. IMHO.

Compare him on this album with him in songs like:

Parachutes:

- Shiver

- Spies

- Sparks

- Yellow

- Trouble

- High Speed

- Everything's Not Lost

AROBTTH:

- In My Place

- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

- Clocks

- Daylight

- Amsterdam

X&Y:

- What If

- White Shadows

- Fix You

- Talk

- X&Y

- Speed of Sound

- Low

- The Hardest Part

VLV:

- Life in Technicolor

- Cemeteries of London

- Yes

- Violet Hill

- Death And All His Friends

Prospekt's March:

- Life in Technicolor II

- Glass of Water

- Rainy Day

Nearly any b-side.

Now let's see what for songs MX brings with songs where Guy does more than just following the pattern.

MX:

- Paradise

- Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

- Major Minus

The whole album has the same amount of 'interresting basslines' as an EP...

I couldn't imagine Coldplay without any of them... When I pictuer Chris on solo all I can see is Rap colaborations and synth pop. With one or two country songs...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of them would continue as Coldplay if it wasn't the 4 of them, but if they did have to replace a member, any one of them could except for Chris, which was my point. That said, I don't see any of them going anywhere.

I understand that rule. I used to work with a group os 8 people and when we had to take an important decision we tried to find the point where everyone felt comfortable. So I think that this is what they do. The important thing apart of the choice of the song is how comfortable they would be playing it. The tours are long, so imagine that someone has to do something that doesn't like it. it is like working in something you don't like...I've had that feeling and it is very annoying.