✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Rational look at Coldplay from a hater.

Audiblethoughts

You forced yourself to listen to a band you irrationally hate and it hasn't changed your mind.

And the Pope is still a Catholic.

Why waste a thousand words writing about such a pointless activity and then share it with people who love the music you slag off?

Doesn't make any sense to me...

Not going to read it.

Rational and hater don't go together :blank:

:nod:

Same here. I read like 2 lines. Sorry. I just don't see the point of listening to someone who hates what we love. We love it, good for us. You hate it, good for you. But don't try to make us hate them, we won't listen to you. Same for us. Even if we try to make you love them, it won't change a thing.

I believe you just did :|

BURRRRNNNN!!! 414218.gif

:wink:

You are killing me with these smilies :lol:

People, it is really not that bad. He is not bashing Coldplay or giving contradicting reasonings for hating Coldplay. He is not trying to make us hate Coldplay.

Samuel, you're right :D I meant roll, of course. I understand your roll-eyes now. Don't agree though. Why would people not liking Coldplay have nothing to say about what they think of the band on a forum about the band? When done properly - like in this case - I think it's enriching. Hell, it might even for some people be an eye-opener. There's nothing wrong with reading other opinions that stroke yours. You might adjust your viewing point ;)

Now to the linked article by hating person:

The study done by Colombia University was not to investigate what makes music popular. Link to article in Science. They merely found an effect (social influence) that adds to popularity once music (or whatever) is popular. Mind that in reality bands usually don’t get their popularity by means of a fake website assuming that they are already popular. Besides, the social effect worked best with mediocre songs. Songs that were generally (and independant) rated as very good or very bad, didn’t get differently rated by the socially influenced group. Seeing as how incredible popular Coldplay is, would this then mean that perhaps their music might be good after all? :P

Also, popular music has to become popular at one point. How does that fit in above story?

I agree that popular music ‘suffers’ from the self-fulfilling prophecy. Not only do people tend to like music faster when it’s popular, but more people also have access to the songs and can then form an opinion about the music. There’s then always some that love it, some that hate it and some that don’t care. But because it involves so many people, the amount of people loving the music is big, even if there’s also many haters because the music sucks (imo).

Now my problem with this whole love or hate music because it’s popular is that people tend to forget that music is still subjectively perceived. You just can’t say that music is good or bad. You can only say that you think the music is good or bad. Everyone looks for other things in music. As a songwriter you might hate songs that only handle similar chord sequences, lack of dynamics and lyrics that a angsty teenager would write in her diary, but others might love it for the exact same reasons. A teenager can relate to the lyrics and the accessibility/simplicity of the song might make it easier to get hooked to the song, it gets in your head you know. Some people find pleasant surprises in music, some people find recognition, some people feel touched by the music, some people love to unravel a song structure and find the many layers it is composed of. Coming back to you, Audiblethoughts, you might find the songs of Coldplay mediocre, but others such as me think they are great. Does that mean that because Coldplay is popular, I necessarily love Coldplay due to their popularity? I also love eg. Paavorharju/Sigur Rós while I never heard my friends talk about them or heard them on radio/tv.

I wish to believe that I like music for the music and that popularity of said music has no influence on that. Maybe you are just missing out on something that for the masses makes Coldplay so good. Not the music being popular, but the music itself.

What I get from your essay is mostly that you seem to hate Coldplay for being popular despite their mediocrity. If they were to be any other band making bland music that never reached the masses but reached your ears, then you just wouldn’t have cared about it. Innit? Maybe keeping in mind that somewhere there in the music of Coldplay there must be beauty/brilliantness that you're missing out on, would make it more bearable for you to hear anything from Coldplay?

I read the article.

The problem with it is that your view is not "rational" in any sense of the word. Just because you write a formal blog entry and used big, ominous words doesn't mean you have ridden your logical fallacies.

A few entries to clarify my point.

I’ve voluntarily subjected myself

^This quote implies you were clearly irrationally biased against Coldplay in the first place. It means you forced yourself to listen to something you hate for little reason.

...I tried to remember the times when I had come across the band’s music and it had been awful enough to deserve the sour taste it always gave me. I couldn’t think of a single one, and the fact that Brian Eno himself had blessed their acclaimed album “Viva La Vida or Death and All his Friends” (aka VLVODAAHF) with his magic touch

^This (particularly the bolded region) means you are being irrational in your hatred of the music. It's not warranted. You can say that you hate it, but give us an actual reason. And listening to something and "subjecting yourself" (your words not mine) because you like the producer is silly.

With the new album being released, I knew I had to either find a way to like Coldplay finally

^So I have to find a way to like Katy Perry, seeing that she gets about 6,000% more airplay than Coldplay? Again, if you force yourself to do something, you're going into it knowing you're going to hate it.

I attempted to circumvent my own scruples

^ K.

I struggled to find a track I could honestly recommend for the purposes of this article from the next album X & Y. In my own humble opinion, just avoid the entire thing for the sake of your own sanity.

^ TELL US WHY IT'S BAD. You never do this in your entire article. Why not? You can't write a "rational" article without saying so. Again, it's not "rational" just because you used big shiny words (cite: the previous quote)

Who is to say we don't understand the Coldplay hate? I think there is an inherent dislike of any band that produces hits on a regular basis (I can't fucking stand Nickelback). The problem with your explanation is that you don't say why your dislike exists, nor how it applies to the actual music. It would be "rational" if you examined WHY you dislike the music, WHY others dislike the music, and listen selectively to the music to reflect that. If you "subject yourself" to it, you're being just as discriminate as you have always done: You're just listening to music you don't like.

Some people don't like Coldplay. I'm fine with that: I don't like plenty of music. I don't get why people love Glee so much. But I'm not about to try to figure it out. Because I already have: People have different tastes.

^Took the words out of my mouth Baw8cc. There are rational reasons to hate Coldplay but I saw none of them. The closest thing was the cliche about being "middle of the road" and "bland" which don't really mean anything because "bland" is very subjective..maybe if every song was exactly 1 note, or if all the lyrics were the same [which is why, had you done a better job, you'd have an argument if you tried to criticize the lyrics on MX such as "para para," "wa wa", and "up in flames..."].

But you really didn't give any explanation as to what you (or other critics) mean by "middle of the road" or "giving you a sour taste." Either say these are irrational dislikes, since you didn't present good reasons, OR, explain yourself. For example, does middle of the road mean you don't like Coldplay because it's not as loud as say, Metallica, and not as soft as the Fray? Or because Chris doesn't sing as high as Matthew Bellamy nor as low as Barry White? Because the instrumentation isn't as layered and complex as Radiohead or as simple as Oasis? Music is composed of multiple spectrums, and I don't see anything wrong with liking a band that tends to fall into the middle of these many spectrums - why should there need to be an extreme? And is there really an extreme that is favourable? In fact, why IS Coldplay considered middle of the road when they're not wishy washy about their identity as musicians - they make the music that they want to make, and though it can be diverse and some songs can be polarizing, what is so bad about where they are? Many people and I like Coldplay as they are and where they fall in the various genres (because no music fits solely into one genre, at least today).

Not to mention you named tracks and quite a few positives about the band. How much more do you need to outweigh the negatives? As a "rational article", your article points out just as many if not more things to like than dislike about Coldplay, so what else needs to give?

I think "dislike" is totally rational, "hate" is irrational. "Hate" implies that you put forth an effort to despise the music, implying you take an active role in opposition to it. "Disliking" something means you simply don't find it pleasurable, so you don't listen to it: Which is far more rational to me.

I read the article.

The problem with it is that your view is not "rational" in any sense of the word. Just because you write a formal blog entry and used big, ominous words doesn't mean you have ridden your logical fallacies.

^This quote implies you were clearly irrationally biased against Coldplay in the first place. It means you forced yourself to listen to something you hate for little reason.

^This (particularly the bolded region) means you are being irrational in your hatred of the music. It's not warranted. You can say that you hate it, but give us an actual reason. And listening to something and "subjecting yourself" (your words not mine) because you like the producer is silly.

^So I have to find a way to like Katy Perry, seeing that she gets about 6,000% more airplay than Coldplay? Again, if you force yourself to do something, you're going into it knowing you're going to hate it.

^ K.

^ TELL US WHY IT'S BAD. You never do this in your entire article. Why not? You can't write a "rational" article without saying so. Again, it's not "rational" just because you used big shiny words (cite: the previous quote)

Who is to say we don't understand the Coldplay hate? I think there is an inherent dislike of any band that produces hits on a regular basis (I can't fucking stand Nickelback). The problem with your explanation is that you don't say why your dislike exists, nor how it applies to the actual music. It would be "rational" if you examined WHY you dislike the music, WHY others dislike the music, and listen selectively to the music to reflect that. If you "subject yourself" to it, you're being just as discriminate as you have always done: You're just listening to music you don't like.

Some people don't like Coldplay. I'm fine with that: I don't like plenty of music. I don't get why people love Glee so much. But I'm not about to try to figure it out. Because I already have: People have different tastes.

Exactly, was just about to post that this isn't really "rational" at all, it's just somebody saying "I used to hate Coldplay, now I hate them somewhat less"

I dislike Pitbull extremely, and I still dislike him just as much after having heard most of his popular stuff on the radio. But I did not blog about it and then join a Pitbull fansite to link to my blog post.

I think "dislike" is totally rational, "hate" is irrational. "Hate" implies that you put forth an effort to despise the music, implying you take an active role in opposition to it. "Disliking" something means you simply don't find it pleasurable, so you don't listen to it: Which is far more rational to me.

Agreed, I can't honestly think of any music that I hate. There is a very large amount that I dislike, however.

I read the article.

^ K.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

Agreed, I can't honestly think of any music that I hate. There is a very large amount that I dislike, however.

I can say I have an irrational hatred for Nickelback. I can't stand the pompous attitude of the singer and the sound his mouth makes when he opens it.

But I admit it's irrational.

Baw8cc has summed up everything brilliantly, so all I'll say is that no one, least of all the band, is forcing you to like Coldplay, so don't make your piece seem like a crusade of righteousness that the world is forcing you down.

I honestly think it's interesting to see a hater's point of view, but like Baw8cc (Brent, right?) said, he is not being rational, he just doesn't like them. Which, in music, is the only valid reason. Also, see second half of Wyrd's post.

He knew he was taking a risk by posting this on a Coldplay forum, and as he wasn't being aggressive, it didn't feel like he was trolling or anything.

I think he just showed us that not all haters are hating for the sake of hating, which is how it feels sometimes. He did make an effort and he tried to be as 'rational' as he could with a biased mind. (He probably only used that word to make us read.)

His article proves once again that it always comes down to opinions, which we already knew, but now at least we have a nice discussion. ;)

I hope he comes back to this thread, to spice things up. :P He has two posts, which is the other one?