✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Rational look at Coldplay from a hater.

Audiblethoughts

I hope he comes back to this thread, to spice things up. :P He has two posts, which is the other one?
Jaaaaa, he has to come back. For one I am still interested in his motivation of why he posted that thing here.

I also looked for the second post but couldn't find it. Why doesn't it show up in post search? :confused:

I think it's much more popular to "hate" very popular mainstream bands in certain circles. I have tried to get into certain bands that are considered cool (e.g., Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, etc) and I just can't figure out why people like them. To each his own. I don't go running around saying Coldplay>all. In fact, I tend to be one to tout 90s alternative far more than anything else. We tend to exist on a spectrum for what we like, tolerate, enjoy. I think if more people embraced that they wouldn't be so worried about the stigma it creates when they like or dislike a certain band, especially a very well-known one.

Why join a forum about the band you hate and write a whole thing about how dont like them? :P Too much time on your hands?

THIS!

regardless of what we think of his opinions, I still keep coming back to the fact that he took the time to seek out a FAN SITE to write this article! Really?:\

I read the article.

The problem with it is that your view is not "rational" in any sense of the word. Just because you write a formal blog entry and used big, ominous words doesn't mean you have ridden your logical fallacies.

A few entries to clarify my point.

^This quote implies you were clearly irrationally biased against Coldplay in the first place. It means you forced yourself to listen to something you hate for little reason.

^This (particularly the bolded region) means you are being irrational in your hatred of the music. It's not warranted. You can say that you hate it, but give us an actual reason. And listening to something and "subjecting yourself" (your words not mine) because you like the producer is silly.

^So I have to find a way to like Katy Perry, seeing that she gets about 6,000% more airplay than Coldplay? Again, if you force yourself to do something, you're going into it knowing you're going to hate it.

^ K.

^ TELL US WHY IT'S BAD. You never do this in your entire article. Why not? You can't write a "rational" article without saying so. Again, it's not "rational" just because you used big shiny words (cite: the previous quote)

Who is to say we don't understand the Coldplay hate? I think there is an inherent dislike of any band that produces hits on a regular basis (I can't fucking stand Nickelback). The problem with your explanation is that you don't say why your dislike exists, nor how it applies to the actual music. It would be "rational" if you examined WHY you dislike the music, WHY others dislike the music, and listen selectively to the music to reflect that. If you "subject yourself" to it, you're being just as discriminate as you have always done: You're just listening to music you don't like.

Some people don't like Coldplay. I'm fine with that: I don't like plenty of music. I don't get why people love Glee so much. But I'm not about to try to figure it out. Because I already have: People have different tastes.

Absolutely excellent reply. Took the words right out of my mouth.

I also agree about Nickelback. They are atrocious.

I was actually surprised about the article, I thought it would be mindless hate toward the band and telling the fans how uneducated they were for liking their music but he gave the albums a listen and appriciated some songs, but its still pointless to go out of your way to listen to music you know your going to hate, plus the fact he took the time set up a profile on a coldplay fansite (Holy Freaking God is he desperate for attention). I can see were he was coming from, I use to have this preconceved thought that pink floyd was bland and boring but then I went back listened to their albums and have since bought them all because theyre all fantastic (except final cut and MLoR). At least he tried is what I take away from it, Coldplay gets a lot of hate because there music is emotional and thats not for everyone because some people dont know how to handle emotions. All popular artists get lots of hate

PS-how are people tried of MX already? I listen to it like twice a day, its a great way to pass time to and from work/school

PSS- Nickleback is aweful, its fact, I listened to them when I was 12 then realised every single song is exactly the same and/or completely meaningless

^It's not that I'm tired of it, it's just that I don't WANT to get tired of it.

This. I only listen to any song once a day so I'm not into something for a week before getting bored.

Motion Picture Soundtrack is one of my favourite songs ever. Could probably count the number of times I've listened to it on two hands.

I sort of feel the way OP does about various musical acts and I do try to listen to them and give them a chance. Often it's a combination of their music and their persona. A lot of pop stars try to give off a certain type of personality when promoting their record and it kind of bothers me. I can see people being put off by CM and the boys. But honestly, they want talk about their music and not the other more personal stuff, and I appreciate that. A lot of people just want to gossip about things that don't matter just to seem more compelling and stay relevant.