Up In Flames

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkg9t1gqVM[/ame]

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rain didn’t dampen Coldplay fans spirits

http://bcove.me/ndfk1yig

DESPITE the terrible weather, despite the predicted traffic chaos, gig-goers we spoke to outside the Stadium of Light were buzzing.

Hannah Lindsey, 17, from Chester-le-Street, and Peter Almond, 14, from Fulwell, were among the crowd whose ages spanned generations.

“It was such a snazzy show,” said Hannah. “The wristbands and confetti were amazing.

“It was worth waiting in the rain for.”

Sisters Kelly Skinner, 32, Tanya Skinner, 36, and friend Mikhaela Reeves, 36, said that despite the Metro strikes they had no problems getting to the gig.

Tanya said: “It was brilliant, excellent. I’d love them to come again. The wristbands were such a brilliant idea.

“I’ve been to a few gigs here but that was up there with the best of them.”

SAFC season holder Nick Bartlett, 17, is more used to seeing the stadium filled with footy fans but said this experience was something else altogether.

“I’m used to going to the stadium and hearing the chants of the fans so it was weird to hear music there at first,” he said. “It was a massive transformation, I couldn’t believe the set, it blew me away.

“The stadium was quite quiet during the support acts, but when Coldplay came on they lifted the roof off the stadium.”

link

Just arrived home, brilliant experience last night despite the rain which my phone has ingested as well, totally awesome, can't say in words how good it was!!!! :)

Hopefully my voice recovers by Sunday evening....

Coldplay – Sunderland Stadium of Light – review

I think the word spectacular fairly sums up the amazing sound and light show put on by Coldplay on a wet and windy night.

Despite the awful conditions, frontman Chris Martin and his band pulled out every trick in the book to create an amazing atmosphere – transforming the stadium into a kaleidoscope of colour.

The show started where most stadium show’s finish with a stunning pyrotechnical display as the much talked about LED xylobands in the crowd lit up to amazing effect, flashing along to the music.

Every ticketholder was given one of the radio controlled light emitting wristbands which beat in unison, turning the stadium crowd into one glittering, throbbing mass, like a giant dazzling Christmas tree – an unforgettable sight.

A neon graffiti scrawled wall provided the backdrop to the main stage as Chris Martin threw everything at the crowd, including himself.

This was not a night for cosy introspection as over the years, Coldplay have transformed from studious performers into joyous ones and they delivered up almost two hours of singalong anthemic tunes to the crowd.

All the big numbers were pulled out from In My Place and The Scientist through to their breakthrough anthem Yellow and Viva La Vida complete with confetti canons, giant beach ball balloons and amazing lazers.

The younger members of the crowd were catered for with hit single Princess of China featuring a video cameo from Bajan superstar Rihanna and last year’s mega-tune Paradise.

The band used the space of the stadium to great effect swopping between the main stage and a smaller one at the end of a runway. Finally near the end the band also appeared on a tiny stage at the back of the stadium, playing Us Against the World and Speed of Sound – to the delight of fans in the North Stand. It’s what passes for intimacy in a 50,000 plus stadium but it works.

The rain continued to lash down through the night – even causing a break for the road crew to fix a drenched piano – but it only seemed to drive the band on more, as if they had a point to prove.

The crowd reacted accordingly as the sodden masses on the pitch screamed, sang-along and waved their twinkling wristbands throughout. All in all a quite incredible night.

link

Viva La Vida/Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=L21wveaJaBk[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQpbW36YeSs[/ame]

Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xX8rh_yB6I[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvEN_n3h-Y[/ame]

In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbCznsILODE[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0DC_EvVt4[/ame]

The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmSsTBsI4zo[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCYX1_6hm4[/ame]

sunthmb.jpg

Panorama: Stadium of Light, Sunderland

8 June 2012 2:45 pm

Check out our hi-res crowd shot from last night's show

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Here's Roadie #42's crowd shot from last night's show at Sunderland's Stadium of Light. Click to see the hi-res version.

20120607SunderlandCrowd_Small.jpg

Anchorman

sunthmb.jpg

Panorama: Stadium of Light, Sunderland

8 June 2012 2:45 pm

Check out our hi-res crowd shot from last night's show

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Here's Roadie #42's crowd shot from last night's show at Sunderland's Stadium of Light. Click to see the hi-res version.

20120607SunderlandCrowd_Small.jpg

Anchorman

I'm hoping they will start to sell prints of these on their online store? It would be a nice keepsake!

Anyone who has not been to the Stadium of light, what did you think of it as a gig venue.

We are pretty new to gigs and coldplay are only the 6th band to play. Really proud of the club and hope we made a good impression so coldplay would come back again.

Coldplay Rain Supreme Live at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light

coldplay.jpg

Coldplay continued their World Tour with a one night stop at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light. With incessant rainfall, a rather wet 50,000 fans were rewarded with one of the best live shows currently on the road anywhere in the world.

It was fitting that Chris Martin and co. brought the show to a close with Every Tear is a Waterfall as tears and waterfalls were served up in equal measure in Sunderland as the cold and rain set upon the waiting 50,000 Northerners present, challenging even the toughest stereotypes who favoured t shirts and short skirts over waterproofs normally favoured by hardy explorers. But frankly by the end of the night no one could have cared less.

With Rita Ora and Robyn offering support, gazebos were a necessary on-stage prop to protect equipment as they warmed up the crowd, engaging the crowd with their biggest hits and distracting from the increasing dampness. The R&B/Jazz/Dance/Electro/Pop sound both offer wasn’t necessarily something the average Coldplay fan would have been interested in but both were entertaining and worked to involve everyone.

With the rain offering no respite the crowd kept in good spirits while waiting for the night’s entertainment to arrive. As the stage hands desperately tried to brush the water off the stage until the last moment, eventually the tarpaulins covering the instruments went off, the lights went down and the “put your flashing wristband on now” signs disappeared.

With the Back to the Future theme score welcoming them on, the band leapt onto the stage and got things flying with Hurts like Heaven, the stage lights going into overdrive and incessant fireworks meant there was a sensory overload that had everyone bouncing around in instantaneous glee.

A kaleidoscopic light show dazzled as the radio controlled wristbands sparkled like multi-coloured stars creating an arena of light and sound that completely swept you away.

Chris Martin when not needed on piano and guitar duty cavorted down the runways down the middle of the crowd and to the sides, literally rolling around to the enchantment of the near by fans and covering every available inch of stage

A phenomenal opening somehow got even better as confetti canons launched thousands of butterflies onto the crowd, the rain ensuring everyone was plastered in multi-coloured paper Mache for the rest of the night. Next up about 50 huge multi-coloured balloons were thrown to the crowd to bounce around creating a joyous and playful atmosphere that crackled with excitement and delight.

Slower songs like The Scientist brought a more minimalist AV approach as the last of balloons disappeared down the back of the crowd and the band worked their way through their older tracks before moving to the end of the central walkway for a semi-acoustic set, the highlight of which for the younger fans was new single Princess of China, featuring a video cameo of Rhianna on the big screens.

Having worked their way through the sing-along, arm waving part of the show, they moved back to the main stage and upped the tempo with more wristband featuring songs, the darkening stadium meaning the effect became increasingly mesmerising.

With the crowd still bouncing after Charlie Brown, eventually the torrential rain started to have an effect and prompted a change of piano as Chris Martin played the opening chords ofParadisethat admittedly sounded a touch gurgled.

The crowd filled time with an unprompted “woh oh oh” Violet Hill chant as the crew worked rapidly to wheel out dryer equipment. New piano in situ, the show got back underway.

The band disappeared for the customary break before the encore and took everyone by surprise when they appeared on a smaller stage at the rear of the stadium to the pleasure of the fans at the rear, each band member entering separately to build up to a full rendition of Us Against the World and then Speed of Sound.

Finally the band returned again to the main stage and brought the night to a close, the energetic Clocks making full use of the last of the wristbands’ batteries and producing a hypnotic light show when coupled with the lasers that created a wall of light above the standing fans that stretched back across the stadium.

The emotional Fix You followed with the increasingly hoarse and wet crowd matching the band in giving their all and being dazzled by yet more fireworks at the crescendo before the closing track brought the house down. All the lights were turned on full for one last time, the five massive circular video walls dancing with images of the band and graffiti as the pyrotechnics lit up the sky again and again to bring an incredible night to a close.

The crowd, soggy of foot and sore of throat, applauded and cheered what was an incredible performance as the band took their bows. The rain and local train strikes could quite easily have put a dampener on things, literally, but this was a spectacle of the highest measure that embraces all your senses and delivers more than was expected from even the most loyal of fan. A fantastic night from a fantastic band.

link

This was my first time seeing Coldplay live and I got front row! Absolutely incredible, the atmosphere was ridiculous. Despite the rain and metro strikes making getting to sunderland an absolute nightmare it was packed out and everybody was happy!

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Zp6JYtxjA[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqnjtV8eec[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgnLBFJAtWw[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4l2nI7NwSM[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlE3YmVIXo[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ZmcTcZRqc[/ame]

Us Against The World/(part of) Speed Of Sound

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzS1zrpq_U[/ame]

Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOSQ9gKpe8[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ENGJY3-rM[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_IojSPmYM[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxi9xzR3oGo[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4BpNSgrE84[/ame]

Coldplay light up Sunderland

0,,10281~10927524,00.jpg

In keeping with the theme of the extra-long Bank Holiday weekend, which saw the nation come together to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, one of Britain's biggest bands kept the party atmosphere going when they lit up Wearside.

Coldplay arrived at Sunderland's Stadium of Light, on the back of a hat-trick of shows in London, for the penultimate show of their summer stadium tour.

Anticipation had been building around the city for weeks and despite the best of British weather arriving right on show time, spirits were certainly not dampened.

The four-piece kicked off their set with the title track of their fifth album, Mylo Xyloto, while the 50,000 capacity crowd lit up the venue with the much-talked about neon wristbands.

Every member of the crowd became part of the show as fans were handed a light-up wristband upon entering the stadium, which were controlled at various intervals during the band's performance creating a spectacle to behold.

There were more laser lights and pyrotechnics in full flow when the band burst into the thunderous Hurts Like Heaven.

The feast for the eyes continued as confetti cannons erupted against the backdrop of five big screens and the wristband display, while scores of globe-like beach balls were let loose to bob around the crowd.

All of these special effects didn't distract from the show, as lead singer Chris Martin was his usual animated self, with his trademark energetic sprints around the stage - including a knee-slide through a water-logged catwalk!

Following a few introductions and a quip about 'the apocalyptic weather' the band wasted no time to belt out some of the biggest hits of their back catalogue, In My Place and The Scientist.

The opening bars of Yellow were met with rapturous applause from the soaking wet crowd, who actually out-sung Martin throughout this early classic - much to the singer's delight.

The longer the show went on the rain seemed to get heavier, but in true British fashion the show went on, as the band thrashed out Violet Hill, God Put a Smile on Your Face and their brand new duet with Rihanna, Princess of China, while the songstress appeared on the big screens.

Following an impromptu version of Singing in the Rain, the show continued at its frenetic pace with crowd favourites Viva La Vida,, Charlie Brown and Paradise.

After a faultless 90 minutes on stage, the band left the crowd longing for more of their melodic pop rock- and so, duly obliged!

Martin announced: "I hope you've had a good time - we certainly have - and there's a few more surprises to come."

He wasn't wrong. The band reappeared on a smaller second stage right at the back of the stadium to get closer to the crowd during Speed of Sound.

After a quick jog though the crowd the band returned to the main stage for an encore of Clocks and Fix You before ending the show with Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall - quite a fitting finale!

Despite the torrential downpour the crowds were determined not to have their parade rained on and played their role spectacularly as Coldplay succeeded in illuminating the Stadium of Light.

So much so, that minutes after the show finished the front man couldn't contain his excitement and took to Twitter to tell everyone how amazing the audience at the Stadium of Light had been.

link

AMAZING.

Sometimes something is so good it feels pointless to even explain how incredible it was.

So proud that Coldplay came to Sunderland and i hope they really appreciated the crowd, the atmosphere was brilliant and the rain didn't stop us from having a fucking immense night.

The lights are beautiful and it gave me chills seeing the stadium of light lit up.

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZUH4F8D5w[/ame]

Lovers In Japan

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfC12qtySM[/ame]

The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8l_Jo0cL-o[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkSH8-F1FE[/ame]

Up In Flames

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2vL0ueYp8U[/ame]

Singing In The Rain/DLIBYH

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiQKs5uDPHs[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cv4F05HcYU[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_IE_rt0UE[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=REINqjHi6N8[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOPS5FpKWuo[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiQgx4qG08[/ame]

Us Against The World

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_lJeDZR9o[/ame]

Us Against The World/(part of) Speed Of Sound

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhTU4Y6z-A[/ame]

Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSqlSeLi1dk[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XwYVSxWEoI[/ame]

Clocks/Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_YsgF0Wso[/ame]

Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgukYxk2zw[/ame]

Hello all..

I finally have a chance to put my thoughts down after only getting to bed at 1am and having to be up for work at 7:30am.

I'm completely overwhelmed by that..so much so that i've sunk into a state of PCD (Post-Coldplay depression).

With our General Admission tickets, we arrived quite late on (during Rita Ora) and were shocked to find most of the lower bowl seats taken (The OH wanted to sit as is claustrophobic). We decided on a seat at the back near the corner of the West Stand but had no cover so it wasnt nice being drenched in the build up.

As the time ticked by..the excitement built and it seemed to take an age for 99 problems to come on (slight delay caused by flooded stage?). Finally Back to the Future sparked into life and then the start of MX/HLH was something special as the Xylobands sparked in to life.

I have always liked Chris Martin, but has always seemed to be rather quiet and laid back in interviews etc but in this setting he's in his element- he's perfect at pushing the crowds buttons, always making sure to show his appreciation to us ("beautful people" etc)- he's gone up in my estimation.

I thought the choreography of the show was near on perfect. The way they brought on the balloons on Lovers which led on to the slower paced The Scientist to make sure the balloons could gradually be moved off the crowd in time for the next part of the show.

As the rain kept coming, somehow we just completely forgot about it. In a way the rain added to the whole atmosphere of the night and made it a show that us and probably Coldplay will never forget.

The biggest cheer went to Viva La Vida then Charlie Brown/Paradise looked spectacular in the dark as the Xylobands looked at their best. For me though, the highlight was to come..

as Paradise was ending we noticed something being set up just in front of us. Two guitars, a piano? Surely not? Then we noticed the stewards creating a path right beside us. Is this really happening? And there they were Chris and the band walking past us to a mini stage right in front of us. I was completely blown away by this. Amazing part of the show and something I wasnt expecting at all (I thought the C stage was just one of the corners of the main stage?!) Speed of Sound was superb and i loved the way they introduced each band member individually.

The finale back on the main stage was epic and then far too quickly it was all over..and the walk/drive home in the rain as people looked amazed at what they had just witnessed.

My first ever Coldplay experience is one i'll never ever forget and something very special to see them in my home City at the football ground I attend every other week. All I feel now is sadness as I just want to relive the whole experience again.

"Went tonight expecting an average show.

Walked away wetter than wet after having witnessed one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Coldplay were immense. Totally changed my perception of Chris Martin. Unreal.

The Stadium of Light could not have been more aptly named tonight."

link

That's the kind of comment that I love :awesome:

There's also one that says "you forget how many good tunes they have" :awesome:

This one made me howl

I think they're required by law to provide wristbands on account of their fans being such limp wristed gay lords, without the wristbands they wouldn't be able to function.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3: