✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[7-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Stadium of Light, Sunderland, UK

Coldplay gig bosses sing praises of region

CONCERT bosses have sang the praises of the region after Coldplay’s record-breaking gig at the Stadium of Light.

The multi-award winning band produced a spectacular show for a crowd of more than 55,000 people to set a new stadium attendance record, rounding off months of hard work by a number of key partners across the city and region.

Rob Ballantine, director of SJM Concerts, said: “The Stadium of Light has proven to be an exceptional venue for music concerts, and breaking its attendance record with Coldplay only serves to underline its fantastic reputation.

“To see everyone so engaged and so positive in what was awful weather on Thursday, was absolutely magnificent, and that includes those working behind the scenes at the event.

“Having such a dynamic network of key agencies in place is a hugely attractive proposition for promoters and concert organisers.

“It makes staging events of this scale such a tremendously positive experience, both for SJM and for performing artists, and we look forward to continuing to bring the biggest and best acts to the North East.”

link

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW !!!

What a fucking concert Coldplay ! You were incredible. What a picture I captured of Will bashing fuck out of the drums...spray everywhere ! The rain just added to the atmosphere. WWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW:o

Review: Coldplay, Stadium of Light, Sunderland

chris-martin-from-coldplay-at-the-stadium-of-light-gig-in-sunderland-888274567.jpg

FLUORESCENT confetti, inflatable balls and pyrotechnic fire displays aptly lit up the Stadium of Light as pop heavyweights Coldplay performed for thousands on Thursday night.

It was the second performance of the band’s anticipated five-date UK tour.

And despite traffic problems due to the Metro strike, the 50,000-strong audience made it to their seats on time, albeit during a rainstorm.

Coldplay have become one of the most popular bands in the world since their hit album Mylo Xyloto and their gig in Sunderland was among the biggest ever staged in the region.

Support from R&B singer Rita Ora and Swedish pop princess Robyn got the crowds ready to dance but it wasn’t until frontman Chris Martin bounded on stage that the crowd erupted.

Martin’s compassion for the fans’ travel woes was an immediate hit as he earnestly stopped to say: “I know you’ve been through the biggest kind of hell to get to this concert, the train strikes and the rain – don’t think we don’t appreciate it.”

The star’s effervescent new performance style saw him jump through the high-energy set which included their latest track, Paradise, and all the hit songs including Clocks and breakthrough single Yellow.

Novelty electronic wristbands, handed to the crowd as they entered the stadium, fluttered with colours in time to the music, creating a spectacle of twinkling lights.

Aside from the big hits, earlier tracks gave Coldplay purists a chance to enjoy the band they first fell in love with.

After such a mesmerising performance, the finale was going to have to be really something.

But the band ended in fine style with soaring track Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

A thousand glittering armbands swayed along in time.

link

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

Does it get any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I first saw the band called Coldplay at the Royal Court Liverpool Gig in 1999, and was like hmm these sound an interesting band, something completly different.... and how far they have grew since i first saw them....... HOW CORRECT I WAS!!!.

Thursday 7/6/2012 Sunderland Stadium of LIGHT..... and how full of LIGHT it was........... wooooooooooooooooooow Coldplay you amaze me everytime i see you and you build on what youve previously done. You are without a shadow of a doubt one of the best bands in History... and this has to be my best concer due to many things which include THE RAIN.... THE CROWD.... THE LIGHTS... THE XYLOBANDS.... THE SOUND... THE STADIUM.... THE SUPPORT TEAM... but most of All the music.

The rain didnt stop the crowd enjoying Coldplay music and the show that accompanied it. How amazing is it to stand with 55,000 other coldplay fans looking at flashing wristbands syncing to the music as they belt out their collection of songs... Im still buzzing 10/10 best concert ever... So much im heading to manchester tommorrow.

P,S. Sunderland and the Northeast thanks for a great night for and even keeping spirits up when Coldplay were having trouble... only in the north east.

Best songs of the night for me was Hurts like heaven, Us against the World, Charlie Brown.

Pic of

Picture of Chris and WIll]

Here a few of my vid only short as i was dancing and singing too much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_SFSCb4-bg&feature=endscreen]Speed of Sound[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU27k3Pj1lo&feature=plcp]Viva La Vida[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbVDRjTzs2M&feature=plcp]Xylobands[/ame]

I'm coming back from UK. The concert was awesome ! Too bad we were soaked by the rain, so were the band. I had a great time anyway. The metro was on strike and it took 1h30 to get back by bus. I enjoyed the setlist. I loved all the songs.:rolleyes:

Ah, ok. I know they have some sort of ramp that leads under the stage for instrument changes. They had to switch pianos at a gig a few months ago too.

Sorry I should have mentioned this in my review. I always just assume people heard about it.

The piano broke after Charlie Brown and just before Paradise. He called for a new one and it took about 3 minutes to sort. The crowd starting doing the VLV chant and Chris asked for us to keep singing it as they fixed the piano. He then said it was like Formula one (referring to a quick pit stop) then said to give the crew a big cheer when the new piano starts working which we did.

Coldplay promoter’s praise for Sunderland

50977929.jpg

THE man at the helm of the gig-promoting giant behind Coldplay’s record-breaking Sunderland show has praised the city.

The multi-award winning band wowed their audience of more than 55,000 people with their spectacular show at the Stadium of Light on Thursday.

Today Rob Ballantine, director of SJM Concerts, said: “The Stadium of Light has proven to be an exceptional venue for music concerts and breaking its attendance record with Coldplay only serves to underline its fantastic reputation.

“It has been a joy to see how the people of Sunderland and its wider community have embraced stadium concerts.

“To see everyone so engaged and so positive in what was awful weather on Thursday was absolutely magnificent – and that includes those working behind the scenes at the event.

“Having such a dynamic network of key agencies in place is a hugely attractive proposition for promoters and concert organisers so I must pay huge tribute to those organisations for their tireless work.

“They really pulled it off.

“It makes staging events of this scale such a tremendously positive experience both for SJM and for performing artists and we look forward to continuing to bring the biggest and best acts to the North East.”

Since 2009, SJM has chosen the home of SAFC to launch Take That’s last two European tours. The band famously kicked off its Circus Live tour with two nights in 2009 before returning for four nights in 2011.

Oasis, Pink and Kings of Leon have also had their own headline evenings at the stadium in recent years.

The home of the Black Cats is now gearing up to host American superstars Bruce Springsteen and Red Hot Chili Peppers who take to the stage on June 21 and June 24.

A 24 hour Metro strike has been planned for June 21, the same day as the Springsteen concert, so gig-goers are being urged to plan their route to and from the venue.

Once last Thursday’s gig had finished, work began to remove Coldplay’s set.

All that remains now is the pitch covering and general infrastructure. The promoters for Bruce Springsteen will arrive on Friday to install the Boss’ stage, lighting and sound equipment.

With only a three day gap between the Springsteen and Chilis gigs, there will be a round-the-clock push to prepare the stadium in time for the next concert.

link

Don't know if this is in the right place but key 103 fm (& my localish station rock fm) are broadcasting the Sunderland show tonight.

http://www.coldplayindemand.com/email2/key/index.html

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I just want to give people a heads up, so mods feel free to move this topic. :)

It's not today, the broadcast is tomorrow.

link

radio.jpg

Sunderland show to broadcast on Bauer Radio stations

24 May 2012 9:19 pm

Gig to broadcast on Thursday, 14 June

news_line.png

Good evening. It's been announced today that Bauer Radio will broadcast Coldplay's show at Sunderland's Stadium Of Light to its listeners across the UK on Thursday, 14 June.

Coldplay: In Demand will see Bauer Radio provide a dedicated two-hour block of Coldplay programming on the night, running across the following stations: Key 103, Radio City, Rock FM, Hallam FM, Viking FM, Radio Aire, Metro Radio, TFM, CFM, Clyde 1, Forth One, Cool FM, Northsound 1, MFR, Radio Tay, Radio Borders and West FM.

The June 14th programming will kick-off with exclusive band interviews at 8pm, interspersed with classic Coldplay hits and audience interaction. From 9-10pm, Coldplay: In Demand then features an hour of selected live tracks from the band’s Stadium of Light gig. Listeners will also be able to stream the live gig content for seven days from midnight on June 15th via http://www.coldplayindemand.com.

Anchorman

Coldplay Sunderland inedits images!!

Hi guys!

This video it's just awesome!!

I went to this concert in Sunderland and also the one on the 4th in London, both of them amazing. Best experience ever.

I was looking for a video that showed how Coldplay ran into the crowd on Sunderland, and I couldn't find anything, until I saw this one.

Watch and like it, because it shows how Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy ran into the crowd almost at the end of the concert, and it's actually the only one on YouTube!!!!:o

I knew that they did it because I was there, but I had no video to prove it, and finally I have found one!

ENJOY :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDDB0Rq_l0]Coldplay Sunderland 2012 Running into the crowd - YouTube[/ame]

Hi guys!

This video it's just awesome!!

I went to this concert in Sunderland and also the one on the 4th in London, both of them amazing. Best experience ever.

I was looking for a video that showed how Coldplay ran into the crowd on Sunderland, and I couldn't find anything, until I saw this one.

Watch and like it, because it shows how Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy ran into the crowd almost at the end of the concert, and it's actually the only one on YouTube!!!!:o

I knew that they did it because I was there, but I had no video to prove it, and finally I have found one!

ENJOY :)

Thanks!!!! WOW! Love that. Didnt realise they ran along the walkway. I assumed they'd gone behind into the concourse. That clip sums up the spectacle of the show for me. Best Gig Ever!

yeah it's a great video, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

That's why I posted it, not everyone noticed the route that they took to come back to the stage, I just hope everyone can see the video and know what they really did, it's just awesome. :D

I guess not.

UK folks can hear the full Sunderland show tomorrow night - click coldplayindemand.com for info on how to listen. A #coldplayindemand

One of the stations i listen to who are broadcasting the show say its an hour of interviewing before the show & an hour of highlights. A bit disappointed it's not the full show. :( They played Viva live from the show this morning & it sounded great!