✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[7-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Stadium of Light, Sunderland, UK

3791362201.jpg

Buses will ease Coldplay travel turmoil

SOUTH Tyneside gig-goers will have a helping hand getting to and from tomorrow’s Coldplay concert as a planned Metro strike threatens travel turmoil.

Yesterday the Gazette reported that industrial action by Metro workers will go ahead tomorrow, meaning no trains will run across Tyne and Wear.

The move is likely to cause chaos for around 50,000 Coldplay fans who will be travelling to the rock band’s gig at Sunderland football ground, the Stadium of Light.

Union leaders have been in dispute with Metro operator DB Regio Tyne and Wear over a pay rise, and on Monday talks broke down between the two parties.

The strike means music fans will have to find alternative arrangements to get to the concert. But bus operator Go North East have announced it will run extra buses from Jarrow and South Shields tomorrow to help people get to the stadium.

And existing single-decker buses will be replaced by double-deckers to cope with the extra passengers.

Kevin Carr, Go North East’s managing director, said: “We will be providing more than 30 extra buses on our routes that serve Metro corridors.

“The extra capacity should mean that concert- goers will be able to go by bus with us, instead of Metro.

“The Metro shutdown could mean that people will be tempted to drive to the concert. We would urge people to leave the car at home, and take the bus.”

Despite the extra buses, people are being urged to plan ahead and leave extra time for their journey. Another strike is planned for Thursday, June 21, which coincides with another concert at the Stadium of Light by American rocker Bruce Springsteen.

Union bosses had rejected a 1.3 per cent pay rise for drivers who earn about £32,000 a year before DB Regio upped their offer to a 2.1 per cent wage hike.

But that too was rejected as “not good enough” by the RMT Union.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/lifestyle/entertainment/music/buses-will-ease-coldplay-travel-turmoil-1-4617358

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunderland road to close ahead of Coldplay gig

A BUSY Sunderland road will be closed during tomorrow's Metro strike to allow fans to reach Coldplay's concert by bus.

Sunderland City Council announced the emergency closure of Queen's Road, Keir Hardie Way and part of Southwick Road, which leads to the Stadium of Light, from 10.00pm for around three hours.

Only buses will be allowed to travel along the closed sections, whilst cars will be diverted through Newcastle Road, Thompson Road, Sunderland Road, Church Bank and Northern Way.

link

I am told that we can only pick our GA tickets from 1pm tomorrow and it'll be for entrance A or B - so what queue would you guys go to at 8am?

Ideas anyone? Do we have a choice which entrance? Should one of us go to each entrance and switch when we get the tickets? (there will be two of us)

395609499.jpg

Sunderland gears up for Coldplay gig

THOUSANDS of excited Coldplay fans will today descend on the Stadium of Light.

Tonight, the band kicks off this summer’s trio of gigs held at the Black Cats’ home. Construction work was well under way on the stage yesterday ahead of the gig. The four-piece rock band are set to take to the stage in spectacular style ahead of Bruce Springsteen and Red Hot Chili Peppers, who will play later this month.

It’s the culmination of months of hard work at the stadium to ensure the gigs run smoothly. Each of the three shows is being delivered by a different concert promoter. SJM Concerts, which is already well-acquainted with the Stadium of Light from its work with Take That’s Circus Live and Progress tours, will be looking after the first show of the trilogy.

Rob Ballantine, director of SJM Concerts, has reaffirmed the city’s strength in attracting future big-name tours. "The Stadium of Light has well and truly cemented its place on the concert map,” he said. “There’s a fantastic joined-up approach by all agencies and commercial partners involved in delivering the concerts and there’s a real can-do approach throughout the entire staff at SAFC, which is also mirrored by Sunderland City Council. We’re delighted to be returning to Sunderland on the back of the success of previous shows and I’m confident the club and the city will deliver for us once again.”

Following the confirmation of the final stage set up and sight lines for the show, a small number of additional tickets are now available from gigsandtours.com/ticketmaster.co.uk/ticketline.co.uk/ticketfactory.com.

Alternatively, you can contact the credit card hot lines on 0844 854 1360/ 0844 847 2312 / 0844 888 9991 / 0844 581 9900.

Full details of this summer’s shows are available at http://www.safcconcerts.com.

•The Echo will be running a live online blog for fans at the Coldplay concert. Add your own pictures, videos and information to the blog by tweeting using #echocoldplay

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/lifestyle/sunderland-gears-up-for-coldplay-gig-1-4620554

Very few people queuing at GA queue A, we are right at the front, security have said it should be ok after we collect our tickets at 1pm :confused:

i'll be there at about quarter to one, think i might get at the barrier or not?

Very few people queuing at GA queue A, we are right at the front, security have said it should be ok after we collect our tickets at 1pm :confused:

Hmm was hoping loads would get there early so the traffic would be OK later!

I'm at gate B, about 25-30 people here, nobody I recognise though :-(

We'll be moved forward to the doors at 3pm and then let in for the mad-dash at 5. There are only 2 GA gates here so there will be a lot of people at each!

No sign of Jason yet btw, argh I hope he comes asking for help with the xylobands! What time does he normally arrive though? And does only take certain people or those at the front of the queues?

Anyone else round at B?

i'll be there at about quarter to one, think i might get at the barrier or not?

You might be lucky, still very few people here.

Just picked our tickets up (can't until 1pm!!!) and am in queue A so am definitely at the front!! :) :)