✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[28-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ St Pete Times Forum, Tampa, Florida, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10th time seeing them live and somehow I ended up as far away as I've ever been at a show. Of course it doesn't help that my first ever live experience was seeing them from about 5 feet away at the Today Show in 2008. I think I've been kind of spoiled since then :P

This show was also different in that instead of going with fellow Coldplayers I was there with my 6 year old daughter, which obviously made the experience altogether different. When I was at shows with fellow Coldplayers I was mainly interested in just having fun and singing along, getting vids and pics since I was ridiculously close. Going with my daughter rearranged my priorities - making sure her xyloband was on tight enough, making sure she could see and have fun, and constantly checking to make sure the coke hadn't been knocked over. :lol: It still was really fun though. We glammed up her old Coldplay shirt and made a poster with LED lights on it. We busted out the glow bracelets while listening to the songs before the start. I'd totally forgotten about 99 Problems...not the best song for a 6 year old!! Whoops!

When the lights went out and Back to the Future started the crowd went crazy. And I'll admit that as Hurts Like Heaven began I couldn't stop myself from tearing up. I'll blame it on my 10 week old son and the accompanying hormones! :lol:

Anyway I'm not going to rehash the whole show. There's better reviews out there than what I could write up.

Highlights for me:

- the opening notes of HLH - tears and goosebumps

- GPASUYF - that version is awesome and Jonny was going bonkers on the catwalk. He's come a long way from just standing in the shadows!

- Viva singalong sounded pretty spectacular from where I was sitting

- hearing Warning Sign...shamefully it took me a few notes to realize that's what it was!

- major highlight - UATW after Chris fucked it up - Will and Chris going totally a Capella - goosebumps - just lovely

- absolute best moment - Charlie Brown - the xylobands, the song, the lightshow. Crowd went wild - finally got everyone up out of their seats. A truly awesome spectacle. Everyone should experience that once.

ETIAW ended and the lights came up and sadly the magic started to fade away. It came back a little this morning though when my daughter told me that even when she was 25 she'd always remember yesterday as the greatest day.

Crappy arena food - $14

Concert tickets - hundreds of dollars

The look of joy on my daughters face when her pink xyloband started flashing- priceless

At the concert

photo31.jpg

Our view

photo4.jpg

Glammed up shirt

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Poster - my daughter said that's what it had to say and then I added the LED lights :D

photo1.jpg

That sounds like a different but still nice concert experience Mel! :nice: I'm glad you had fun, although you were a little bit far away LOL

And that

It came back a little this morning though when my daughter told me that even when she was 25 she'd always remember yesterday as the greatest day.

just totally melted my heart!! :bomb::wacky::cheesy:

Thanks for all the Concert experiences from everyone! Nice to read! Does anyone know if you can order the panoramic from last nights show? I can actually see my wife and I in the pic and would to frame it for the memories!! Thanks in advance for any help with this!!

Just under 24 hours after the show. I am STILL on a high! Watching some of the videos I took! I really saw Coldplay for the 3rd time in my life! It was a very different experience. The first time was in 2008 @ BankAtlantic Center and I spent over $200 for seats on the floor. Last year, I saw them @ ACL Festival on Friday night...amongst the ENTIRE WORLD it felt. Last night was different being so far away. While the opening acts did their thing, I lamented the fact I wasn't down there in the mix, so to speak. Been through some trying times recently, and I needed to see this show for my soul...

All of that changed once 99 Problems came on. I immediately realized, "I'm about to see my favorite band! Doesn't matter, you are here!" I thought I was Jay-Z for a minute because I went verse for verse, word for word because I knew the boys were coming!

And now the show...

"Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven": THE XYLOBANDS WERE AMAZING! I was taking video once "Back to the Future" was playing. However, I became an amateur once "Mylo Xyloto" started and the bands lit up. I was shaking so bad! I was overcome with how beautiful it all was! "Hurts Like Heaven" is so sneaky good. It brings a smile to my face.

"In My Place": Chris with his vocals and Jonny on the guitar. That song oozes perfection through pleas of self-awareness and a heart to make things right. One of their best songs live. Period.

"Major Minus": The first time I heard it live, at ACL last, I feel immediately in love. Still hasn't changed. I know those seated around me were annoyed with my shrieking during this tune!

"Lovers In Japan": One my favorites from the Viva la Vida Tour. Chris improvises this one and the "dreaming in the Tampa Bay sun." To me, this is the original confetti song due to the VLV Tour.

"The Scientist": No dry eyes.

"Yellow": To me, this is the song that brought Coldplay to the U.S. It was their staple song for so long. Now, it is a throw in track at the beginning. I still kinda miss it being a closing song. Yet, it is a classic!

"Violet Hill": The most played song on my iTunes. I love this song! I danced and jumped and screamed! Hearing that guitar solo live is unreal!

"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face": I call this "a kick in the seat of your pants in your ears" good! They did it similar at ACL, but it seemed to boom in that arena! It was the 2nd best part of the night to me!

"Princess of China": The Coldplay song you are most likely to hate, whether you love the boys or loathe them. This song has grown on me. I love it. I had read previous complaints of the sync with Rihanna's recorded version live. Flowed VERY well. Sang like a giddy teenager!

"Up In Flames/Warning Sign": This is my only real issue from the show. It seemed like the brakes were slammed instead up applied. I love both songs, no questions asked. However, I was a bit dismayed seeing people sit and the mood just go flat.

"A Hopeful Tranmission/Don't Let It Break Your Heart": Felt a bit along the slow vein, but it seemed like the boys kicked up the singing and dancing.

"Viva la Vida": Warning: this is complete lunacy to most who read this. This might be their best song live. You can't match the enthusiasm this song brings. All 3 Coldplay shows I've seen, this song is the highlight! Section 328 and our neighbors erupted once this was on.

"Charlie Brown": Warning: a hater's post. First time hearing this at ACL, and when Chris told the fans to jump, I was not a fan of this song. Also, I didn't know the words then as well. That, of course, was pre-Xyloband. Thanks to ESPN's Euro 2012 and Xyloband, this is song I cannot live without. It's all in the melody. The boys love performing this! This is Viva la Vida, part 2.

"Paradise": If you happened to read my post about this song, you'll know I listened to this song 12 straight times the first time I heard it. I love this song. I loved it live! I cry hearing it. It is a magical song.

"Us Against the World/Speed of Sound": The boys hit the alternate stage and caused hysteria from what I could see with these two selections. My friends were down there amongst that crowd. Safe to say I was a tad jealous. Chris saying I (flubbed) up during UATW was my laugh of the night. Speed of Sound was stripped down and gorgeous.

"Clocks": The greatest song ever made. My favorite song. My highlight of the night. Probably cried more than I sang. That is the norm with this song. Chris and that piano riff will live on for generations.

"Fix You": You got the feeling Chris was singing to us all personally as if we had to find our way through the storms of life. Chris did this well and brought the energy.

"MMIX/Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall": This is how you close a show! Unreal! With the death of my camera battery and cell phone, I just cut loose and sang as loud as possible! It was a refreshing feeling.

To close, I have seen Coldplay at better angles and with more pricey tickets. However, I think it was a night they boys caught my heart at a different angle. An angle of hope and belief that the tough times in life don't last always. Maybe that lull wasn't a bad thing; it could have been a chance to take it all in. I had to say I was glad to be a part of it! Chris said, "We have the best fans in the world" at one point. You know, he's right! We are great fans! I am honored and proud to be one of them!

Last, but not least! How 'bout the Tampa Curse FINALLY BEING LIFTED!!!!

34s2ept.jpg

Just under 24 hours after the show. I am STILL on a high! Watching some of the videos I took! I really saw Coldplay for the 3rd time in my life! It was a very different experience. The first time was in 2008 @ BankAtlantic Center and I spent over $200 for seats on the floor. Last year, I saw them @ ACL Festival on Friday night...amongst the ENTIRE WORLD it felt. Last night was different being so far away. While the opening acts did their thing, I lamented the fact I wasn't down there in the mix, so to speak. Been through some trying times recently, and I needed to see this show for my soul...

All of that changed once 99 Problems came on. I immediately realized, "I'm about to see my favorite band! Doesn't matter, you are here!" I thought I was Jay-Z for a minute because I went verse for verse, word for word because I knew the boys were coming!

And now the show...

"Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven": THE XYLOBANDS WERE AMAZING! I was taking video once "Back to the Future" was playing. However, I became an amateur once "Mylo Xyloto" started and the bands lit up. I was shaking so bad! I was overcome with how beautiful it all was! "Hurts Like Heaven" is so sneaky good. It brings a smile to my face.

"In My Place": Chris with his vocals and Jonny on the guitar. That song oozes perfection through pleas of self-awareness and a heart to make things right. One of their best songs live. Period.

"Major Minus": The first time I heard it live, at ACL last, I feel immediately in love. Still hasn't changed. I know those seated around me were annoyed with my shrieking during this tune!

"Lovers In Japan": One my favorites from the Viva la Vida Tour. Chris improvises this one and the "dreaming in the Tampa Bay sun." To me, this is the original confetti song due to the VLV Tour.

"The Scientist": No dry eyes.

"Yellow": To me, this is the song that brought Coldplay to the U.S. It was their staple song for so long. Now, it is a throw in track at the beginning. I still kinda miss it being a closing song. Yet, it is a classic!

"Violet Hill": The most played song on my iTunes. I love this song! I danced and jumped and screamed! Hearing that guitar solo live is unreal!

"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face": I call this "a kick in the seat of your pants in your ears" good! They did it similar at ACL, but it seemed to boom in that arena! It was the 2nd best part of the night to me!

"Princess of China": The Coldplay song you are most likely to hate, whether you love the boys or loathe them. This song has grown on me. I love it. I had read previous complaints of the sync with Rihanna's recorded version live. Flowed VERY well. Sang like a giddy teenager!

"Up In Flames/Warning Sign": This is my only real issue from the show. It seemed like the brakes were slammed instead up applied. I love both songs, no questions asked. However, I was a bit dismayed seeing people sit and the mood just go flat.

"A Hopeful Tranmission/Don't Let It Break Your Heart": Felt a bit along the slow vein, but it seemed like the boys kicked up the singing and dancing.

"Viva la Vida": Warning: this is complete lunacy to most who read this. This might be their best song live. You can't match the enthusiasm this song brings. All 3 Coldplay shows I've seen, this song is the highlight! Section 328 and our neighbors erupted once this was on.

"Charlie Brown": Warning: a hater's post. First time hearing this at ACL, and when Chris told the fans to jump, I was not a fan of this song. Also, I didn't know the words then as well. That, of course, was pre-Xyloband. Thanks to ESPN's Euro 2012 and Xyloband, this is song I cannot live without. It's all in the melody. The boys love performing this! This is Viva la Vida, part 2.

"Paradise": If you happened to read my post about this song, you'll know I listened to this song 12 straight times the first time I heard it. I love this song. I loved it live! I cry hearing it. It is a magical song.

"Us Against the World/Speed of Sound": The boys hit the alternate stage and caused hysteria from what I could see with these two selections. My friends were down there amongst that crowd. Safe to say I was a tad jealous. Chris saying I (flubbed) up during UATW was my laugh of the night. Speed of Sound was stripped down and gorgeous.

"Clocks": The greatest song ever made. My favorite song. My highlight of the night. Probably cried more than I sang. That is the norm with this song. Chris and that piano riff will live on for generations.

"Fix You": You got the feeling Chris was singing to us all personally as if we had to find our way through the storms of life. Chris did this well and brought the energy.

"MMIX/Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall": This is how you close a show! Unreal! With the death of my camera battery and cell phone, I just cut loose and sang as loud as possible! It was a refreshing feeling.

To close, I have seen Coldplay at better angles and with more pricey tickets. However, I think it was a night they boys caught my heart at a different angle. An angle of hope and belief that the tough times in life don't last always. Maybe that lull wasn't a bad thing; it could have been a chance to take it all in. I had to say I was glad to be a part of it! Chris said, "We have the best fans in the world" at one point. You know, he's right! We are great fans! I am honored and proud to be one of them!

Last, but not least! How 'bout the Tampa Curse FINALLY BEING LIFTED!!!!

34s2ept.jpg

That's a beautiful review right there. Very nice :clap:

Thanks for all the Concert experiences from everyone! Nice to read! Does anyone know if you can order the panoramic from last nights show? I can actually see my wife and I in the pic and would to frame it for the memories!! Thanks in advance for any help with this!!

I don't know, but you could try asking the Oracle on http://www.coldplay.com. You might get an answer there. Good luck!:)

Hey guys! Did anyone get an extra blue Xyloband that they don't want? My friend got into a car accident the night before the concert and couldn't come to the concert with me, and told me to get him a blue Xyloband as that's his favorite color. But the guy giving them out...wouldn't let me choose a blue one. :( I just got a red one.

If anyone could help me, please PM me. It would mean a lot to me and my friend. Thanks!

10th time seeing them live and somehow I ended up as far away as I've ever been at a show. Of course it doesn't help that my first ever live experience was seeing them from about 5 feet away at the Today Show in 2008. I think I've been kind of spoiled since then :P

Aww, Melanie. You're a great mom! So cute. Start the kids on concerts young is the way to do it :laugh3: I've taken 3 of my kids to Coldplay shows over the years, and they just think mom is a little too over the top. But someone needs to show these kids how to act at a concert, so they don't grow up and be one of "those people" who sits down and politely claps! Your daughter is darling and off to a good start! Love the light up sign, too. I made one for another show I went to and the band took it on stage, and sang my request :)

I know what you mean about being far away, too. We were way in the back for Miami, still fun, but just not the same.

And finally, the Tampa Curse has been lifted. Three years later... (Oh, and you're welcome for the sunshine I brought with me from CA - it rained a little the night I arrived in Orlando, but not a drop in Tampa or Miami the rest of the week, and I read it started raining in Miami just after my return flight left! :laugh3: )

Here's another vid where you can see #42cam flying off at 3m47s

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcq6oPJ-gDg]Coldplay God Put A Smile Upon Your Face Tampa,Fl 6/28/12 - YouTube[/ame]

and the earlier one from gatorsam at 2m30s

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlgTuLEACg]Coldplay "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" partial vid part 2 live @ the Tampa Bay TImes Forum - YouTube[/ame]

Coldplay Light Up Tampa

Coldplay takes a lot of criticism for their maudlin, over-the-top sound and predictable moves, but they do put on a great concert, as demonstrated last week at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

The show was overflowing with arena spectacle, including lasers, confetti, balloons and lighting effects. Robyn played a nice set as an opener, but it was nothing compared to the Coldplay sensory overload.

Each ticket came with a xyloband, a blinking bracelet synced with many of Coldplay's songs. So, while the band was shooting lasers into the rafters, the fans were part of the show as their wrists blinked in different colors. Even though Coldplay is not one of the rave bands that attract fans with glow sticks and LED gloves, their fans were glowing at times like it was a rave for almost two hours.

The xylobands were just a small part of the spectacle though. Within the first five songs, the floor had been generously covered with confetti and large balloons. Usually confetti is at the end of a show, but I guess they didn't get the memo. Fortunately they haven't discovered Faygo, and they don't throw food on the fans like Steve Aoki or Southern Culture on the Skids. That would be too messy, especially if they did it early in the show.

Coldplay does like to be close to the fans, and they had a long ramp extending to a stage in the middle of the arena where they could venture during songs or perform "Princess of China" with Rihanna (no, not in person, on a video screen). Later in the set, Chris Martin appeared in the middle of the fans at the back of the arena with an acoustic guitar. The rest of the band then appeared with him as they played "Us Against the World" and "Speed of Sound." Fans were definitely enjoying that and testing their cellphone cameras. After that, there was an encore with "Clocks," "Fix You" and "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall," as well as more lasers and xyloband fun.

link

coldplay1-web.jpg

coldplay2-web.jpg

coldplay3-web.jpg

coldplay4-web.jpg

coldplay5-web.jpg

coldplay6-web.jpg

coldplay7-web.jpg

coldplay8-web.jpg

coldplay9-web.jpg

did anyone get the VIP package for Tampa?

Hello friends,

I just wanted to see if anyone who attended the show in Tampa (or Miami/Atlanta) also purchased the VIP package for the show?

My wife and I got that package and upon further review....didn't get all the items listed in the package. We were simply given the envelope for entry and then had to find our way around. Not complaining..just bummed we didn't get to get the lithograph t-shirt that was supposed to be part of the VIP package.

thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies to my post!

Hello friends,

I just wanted to see if anyone who attended the show in Tampa (or Miami/Atlanta) also purchased the VIP package for the show?

My wife and I got that package and upon further review....didn't get all the items listed in the package. We were simply given the envelope for entry and then had to find our way around. Not complaining..just bummed we didn't get to get the lithograph t-shirt that was supposed to be part of the VIP package.

thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies to my post!

Hey Sam, Those items will be mailed to you. The t-short, lithograph and a keychain. Look for a cardboard tube in your mailbox :). And they will be maile separately. We received ours a couple of weeks after our show.