✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ, USA

Jenjie

Coldplay bathes Izod Center in sound and color

Does Coldplay have a sense of humor? If Chris Martin is a cutup, then maybe the flashing remote-controlled bracelets that his band distributed to concertgoers at Izod Center tonight will go off at odd hours. You'll be lying in bed at 4:00 in the morning, trying to get "Viva La Vida" out of your head (unsuccessfully, of course), and the bracelet will start blinking. Maybe it'll start to smoke. Maybe it will play rhymes by Martin's pal Jay-Z at asphalt-rumbling volume.

No chance, right? It's just a plastic souvenir of a memorable concert. Coldplay does have a sense of humor, but these guys aren't practical jokers. These four polite and grateful rockers don't want to perturb anybody. They're a big, warm bear hug of a band. They mean for you to be happy.

If you went to the Meadowlands show, chances are, you were. The singalongs at the Coldplay show rivaled those at Springsteen's Izod concert in volume and ecstatic intensity. A Coldplay concert is a friction-free zone; the band's songs go down as easy as a milkshake, and Martin is a gracious, friendly host. But what was really impressive about the first night of the band's two-concert stand at the arena was how convincingly and skillfully these musicians rocked — especially drummer Will Champion, who drove the whole show with absolute authority and no small amount of creativity. Punk rock it wasn't: There was not an ounce of danger in the arena, and Coldplay surely did not mean there to be. But there was abandon, and giddiness, and conviction, and top volume put to the service of big sentiments. If you believe in a version of rock that values comfort over confrontation, and seeks not to unnerve or push listeners but to fortify them, Coldplay might be the band for you.

Then there were the visuals: blasts of confetti, swirls of light on circular video screens, lasers sweeping the floor of the arena, and the electronic bracelets that seemed to realize Adam Young's dream of ten thousand fireflies. Coldplay sold seats in the entire arena, which meant tiers of flashing armbands in every direction. The intent was to create something immersive — to make fans part of the light show, and to erase a bit of the barrier between performers and listeners. It also made the Coldplay concert look and feel like something out of the Electric Daisy Carnival. On "Mylo Xyloto," the latest Coldplay album, the band surprised some fans by borrowing heavily (and enjoyably) from contemporary pop and dance music. The Mylo Xyloto tour suggests that this pop-rock band has learned more from EDM artists than how to incorporate machine beats into its power ballads.

Okay, look for a review of the show in the Star-Ledger on Monday. Here's the setlist:

Mylo Xyloto

Hurts Like Heaven

In My Place

Major Minus

Lovers In Japan

The Scientist

Yellow

Violet Hill

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Princess of China

Up in Flames

Warning Sign

Don't Let It Break Your Heart

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

Paradise

FIRST ENCORE

(done on a platform in the middle of the crowd)

Us Against the World

Speed of Sound

SECOND ENCORE

Clocks

Fix You

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2012/08/coldplay_bathes_izod_center_in.html

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll write more later... But so awesome! I wore my spray painted MX shirt with blue letters (lemme know if you saw it..). A roadie came to talk to me but he'd alrdy given away all the upgrades. Oh well! It was so awesome. I loved ETIAW, Charlie brown, paradise, along with all the classics. Oh, and WARNING SIGN was Fuggin awesome! (if Chris can say it I can say it. Right?) the only downside was driving back to Brooklyn that night and having to wake up at 7 today.. But it's all good.

Concert review to come!

Just got home from baltimore!

That was AMAZING! The show was so good. I'd say it was their best performance of the 3 shows I've been to. I was in section 112 slightly behind the stage, but our view was great still. Before the show, I was walking around outside of the merchant stand (I made my own MX shirt with graffiti paint) and a coldplay roadie (forget his name) came up and talked to me. He told me he liked my shirt, and asked how many were in my party. Unfortunately, they had already given away all the floor upgrades... so that was a bummer. But I almost got upgraded! Nonetheless, I was amped for the show....

Starting off with hurts like heaven was SO COOL. I loved LIT, but MX/HLH was such a great opener. With the wrist bands, I literally freaked out. Best thing ever. In my place was the best that I had seen it played by them, and the confetti was awesome. MM was very good also, being one of my least favorite songs of MX, I wasn't sure, but live it was SO AMAZING. And Chris was leading the way with "Make some mother f******* noooooise!".

Lovers in Japan was great with the balloons, my only complaint was that I didn't get sprayed with confetti this time! The scientist sing along was great. I really enjoyed the acoustic version of yellow he played at the start of it. People went INSANE for that song, especially after he dedicated it to his wife Gwen who was in the audience!

I would say VH and GPASUYF were the least memorable songs for me, I enjoyed them obviously, but after that opening set of songs I was just in awe and kinda took a break off these songs. POC was really cool, even with the piped in rihanna. I enjoyed it! Especially the sing along aspect of it. The main attraction of the center stage was WARNING SIGN. It was so awesome live, I just loved that.

DLIBYH was great, and the intro (Hopefull transmission) was fun too. It seems like it could use some polishing, but was still great!

Onto VLV, CB, and Paradise. What an amazing end to the first set. These are as good as any song Coldplay played, and CB was just too cool. Paradise is always a fun song. and the VLV sing along was fantastic.

I really liked speed of sound in the first encore, I thought it was really cool how they did it acoustic. PEople still went nuts for it. The breakout into clocks (after Chris ran over and hugged Gweneth) was AWESOME, and the last 3 songs were phenomenal. ETIAW is as good live as any of their songs, and it was honestly so much fun just dancing to it at the end with Chris.

Overall, it was definitely a trip I would only do again to see Coldplay!! Got to see Warning Sign, Speed of Sound, and all the new songs. The fans were awesome. The roadies were awesome. I got a yellow wrist band (my fav color, song, mustard type, and labradour retriever type). Best. Concert. Ever.

These four polite and grateful rockers don't want to perturb anybody. They're a big, warm bear hug of a band. They mean for you to be happy.

I love this definition... And it's so true too :heart:

"Hi, my name's Gwyneth."

"Hi I'm Chris."

I had to do a double take as well:laugh3:

:laugh3: Me too!

Anyway... Chris, you'll get a bit predictable if you keep hugging/kissing Gwyneth at every concert she's at! :lol:

Joking, that's so sweet :nice: