✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-May-2012] Coldplay @ American Idol, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Tash

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. This day was rather amazing. Last night, on our way to the Hollywood Bowl, my son called and said he got an email that said he had tickets to see Coldplay's performance on American Idol tonight. I couldn't believe it and had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be going :(

For big live performances, and depending on the performer's schedule, American Idol will record them ahead of time, and edit the performance into the Live Show that air tonight on Fox. So we went to the Coldplay-only portion of the show. The "regular" American Idol results show will be shown live to the east coast, with the CP performance edited in.

We left early early this morning to drive the 60 miles to Los Angeles, my 14 year old daughter and me, and we were meeting my son and his friend at the studio. We got there really early, only 5 people in line, so we decided to have breakfast. This was 7am, and our tickets said to arrive by 10:30, so we figured we were fine. Had a quick bite, and went back to the line. By now, there were 17 people. I've been to Idol tapings before and I know they overbook, but since we were 18-21 in line, I knew we were fine. We waited about 2 hours before Idol staff came and checked id's, and the ticket.

They let us in to the waiting area, and we went through a metal detector, and had to surrender our cell phones. We were each given 2 xylobands! I said hello to one of their crew I've spoken with a few times. And we waited another hour and a half. It's rather organized chaos, they way they file people into the studio, and at first I was concerned, because so many others were let in first. I needn't have worried! We were told to go to the front row! I was beyond excited. Saw the crew person who was happy for us for our seats :) And saw another one of their crew whom I met in San Jose. He saw me there and came over to shake my hand, and laughed when I said "I'm here again!"

Then the MC, Corey, came out, to get us even more excited about seeing the boys. He chatted a bit with audience people, told us what to expect, just banter to fill up some time and get everyone in the mood - like I needed that. LOL He said the band would be performing 2 songs and might need to do more than one take. We were all fine with that. :laugh3: Then there was some tech stuff with the producer and director, and then they came out! And the crowd went crazy. Chris thanked us all for coming out so early in the morning, and they were going to sing 2 songs for us, if that was ok.

They did Paradise twice. Then more MC banter and talking. T his was when I told the MC that I'm a huge fan and today was the 17th time I've seen them. A minute later, during a short break, he came back over to me and asked my name. I told him Dianne, and he said to the band, Dianne says this is the 17th time she's seen you. I about died. Chris looks at me and says, "thank you very much. You paid for my trousers. And my underwear." I wish I could have responded, but the MC had the microphone. I just gave him a smile and thumbs up. Oh my gosh, I was dying.

They went through ETIAW twice and the 2nd time, they did it with lasers and the confetti. Chris was all over the stage, looking amazing as always, did his dancing right in front of me, made eye contact with those blue eyes. And then, it was all over. They didn't do a bow, but came and waved to everyone and Chris thanked all of us again. And they left.

What a fun way to spend a Thursday morning!

Holy cow, what luck!! Best week ever for you - and mainly because Chris mentioned 'you' and 'underpants' in the same sentence. Shees. I'm green with envy! :)

Here's a quick shot if my tv screen taken with my phone. Not the greatest quality but you can see me in the green, my daughter on my right in purple, my son in blue and his friend in the pink shirt. Chris and I made eye contact when he did one of his bendy down dance moves.

44e1ff9b-5a83-1eb4.jpg

Coldplay out of sync with 'Paradise'[/url]

Coldplay out of sync with 'Paradise'

Tonight's Ford music video features the Idols in fairy-tale outfits, singing Colbie Caillat's Dream Life Life.

Up next, it's Coldplay, singing Paradise. The stage is covered in fluorescent colors -- it's in the lighting, on the instruments, on their clothing. And I'm going to assume this performance was pre-recorded, because something's off on the broadcast. The sound is completely out of sync with the visuals. Chris Martin's mouth closes while he's still singing, and the drummer's at least two-and-a-half beats off. What a mess. Maybe they'll fix it for the West Coast feed.

WATCH: Coldplay Makes Idol Debut

Coldplay.jpg

Coldplay made its debut performance on Thursday’s “American Idol.”

The band’s appearance tied into the show’s British music theme that dictated some of Wednesday’s performances by the contestants, including Joshua Ledet‘s standout rendition of the Bee Gees‘ “To Love Somebody.”

Coldplay performed two songs – “Paradise” and “Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall.”

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xqkq26_coldplay-paradise-live-on-american-idol-2012-results_tv"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqkq26_coldplay-paradise-live-on-american-idol-2012-results_tv" target="_blank">Coldplay 'Paradise' live on American Idol 2012...</a> <i>door <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/HumanSlinky" target="_blank">HumanSlinky</a></i>

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xqkqjf_coldplay-live-on-american-idol-2012-results_tv"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqkqjf_coldplay-live-on-american-idol-2012-results_tv" target="_blank">Coldplay live on American Idol 2012 Results</a> <i>door <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/HumanSlinky" target="_blank">HumanSlinky</a></i>

two good performance. Maybe the best ETIAW performance I've seen

ETIAW has improved lots from last summer. Chris would always run out of breath.

(I still have a hard time singing to it, sometimes. Damn Chris and his high voice.)

Coldplay Perform 'Paradise' And 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' On American Idol

The British band make a triumphant debut on the hit US music reality show.

coldplay1-1309175394-article-1.jpg

Coldplay took to the stage on American Idol last night (3rd May) to perform their hit singles 'Paradise' and 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall'.

The 'Charlie Brown' band gave a striking visual showcase of their 'Mylo Xyloto' tracks on the results show of the US music reality series.

The energetic audience were in high spirits with their wristbands flashing as Chris Martin lead the British star's through the rousing renditions of their singles.

link

-----------------

Coldplay Perform ‘Paradise’ + ‘Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall’ on ‘American Idol’

Coldplay1.jpg

Coldplay performed not one but two songs on ‘American Idol‘ during tonight’s (May 3) elimination/results episode. Coldplay twice is nice, right? It was the band’s first time performing on ‘Idol,’ so they had to go big and bring it times two.

For their first song, the Brit rockers performed ‘Paradise,’ with Chris Martin, aka Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow, seated at the piano and playing in front of a glow-in-the-dark graffiti background, mimicking the artwork that accompanies their latest album ‘Mylo Xyloto.’ It was colorful, that’s for sure. Martin and Co. performed like this was another Coldplay show on their tour as opposed to a pit stop on one of the highest rated shows on TV.

In other words, they were comfortable, at ease, in the zone, in their element and did their thing normally. You can’t ask for anything more than that. It was a Coldplay concert in the living rooms of ‘Idol’ watchers.

Since ‘Idol’ usually reserves its stage for the top of the pops, it was refreshing to see a full on rock band show the hopefuls and the viewers how its done.

The band returned to the stage for the second time after Carrie Underwood performed. They wrapped their two-song set with ‘Every Teardrop is a Waterfall,’ the first single from ‘Mylo.’ Martin was quite active, jumping and running around the stage. He was actually rather gymnastic, getting on his knees and then leaning back until he was flat on his own. He had to learn that while doing yoga with Gwynnie or something. But Martin really did hit the stage with a boundless reserve of energy.

Kudos to ‘Idol’ producers and powers-that-be for having a rock band perform twice in one night.

link

-----------------

Coldplay Perform “Paradise” And “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall” On American Idol Results Show

coldplay-perform-on-american-idol.jpg

Last night (May 2), the American Idol final five performed songs for British pop week. The theme continued on during the results show with a performance from English alt-rockers, Coldplay.

Chris Martin and company took the live results show stage and performed their smash single “Paradise.” Like most performances for the new album’s era, the staging featured colorful neon graffiti and Chris Martin wowing the crowd by simply singing at the piano.

Things were different for the band’s second performance. They returned to the stage and performed their single “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.” Martin had the audience in a frenzy as he danced around on his feet–and knees–on stage.

“Paradise” and “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall” are taken from Coldplay’s latest album, “Mylo Xyloto.” The album debuted at the top of the Billboard 200 albums chart when it was released in October of last year after selling 447,000 copies in its first week out. The band is on tour now promoting the album. The video for their new single, “Princess of China,” featuring Rihanna will be released this month.

link

-----------------

Coldplay perform “Paradise” x “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall” on American Idol

International sensation Coldplay take their reign to the US to perform track from their latest studio album Mylo Xyloto. Taking the stage of American Idol, the band do it how they know best with florescent lights and effects in tow for the full experience.

The band treated the excited audience to a live rendition of their second single from the album; ‘Paradise,’ followed by a humbled thank you from front man Chris Martin before getting straight into ‘Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.’

link

On last night’s American Idol results show, Coldplay came through to play a couple of songs and to further extend the agony for the kids who were facing elimination. They did “Paradise” and “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.” Chris Martin sat to play piano on “Paradise,” but on the latter song, he got a chance to further prove that he is the worst dancer in music today. Real talk: Thom Yorke is James Brown next to this guy.

link

That episode was aired here 3 times today, and I watched it all. Everybody in the house was wondering why I was watching it again and again :laugh3::laugh3: And it would be replayed again next week :P

But it seemed like Chris is having a hard time to breath while singing =/

That episode was aired here 3 times today, and I watched it all. Everybody in the house was wondering why I was watching it again and again :laugh3::laugh3: And it would be replayed again next week :P

But it seemed like Chris is having a hard time to breath while singing =/

That was the 2nd time they did ETIAW In just a few minutes. So he'd already done a full performance of it and then had to do it immediately again. He was sweating a lot after the first time - those stage lights for tv are hot! The studio was cold because of the temps of the lighting.

That was the 2nd time they did ETIAW In just a few minutes. So he'd already done a full performance of it and then had to do it immediately again. He was sweating a lot after the first time - those stage lights for tv are hot! The studio was cold because of the temps of the lighting.

Loved their performances. The whole show was kinda cute and funny. All the fangirling and the idea that it was filmed early in the morning and how they tried to get it to look like it was happening right then. :lol: Loved the beginning of Paradise when Chris gave that look. He had the back of his tee-shirt painted. :)

The guys did perfom as if it was a real (not taped studio)show. Awesome. Glad you had fun!