✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

Guest howyousawtheworld

Thank you London! You made me proud to be British again.

To Rio in 4 years time! I hope Brazilians have as great a time as so many British people had. I'm sure they will.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
That was 3 hours I'll never get back. The highlight however being from Take That onwards, it was pretty stunning towards the end. The worst part, and this was the worst over both ceremonies, by far, was Russell Brand performing I am the Walrus. Let's put it this way, to make someone as outgoing as Brand look that awkward, it has to be while doing something incredibly embarrassing.

The playlist, like the opening ceremony, was just mashed up, there was no consistent application to a theme of either influence or popularity, when you have things like Ed Sheeran playing Wish You Were Here, Jessie J covering Queen, and most un-predictably, Kaiser Chiefs playing fucking Pinball Wizard, you know that pretty much anything could have happened.

Also, as much as I love the Beatles, we didn't need several Beatles songs or references, I have no idea how many there were, but it was complete overkill. 3 hours is such a long time to try and put across a fair representation of both influential and popular music and whoever put this together really failed to do so.

On top of this there was no attempts at creativity, it was pretty much just a big concert, that just wouldn't freaking end.

I'd agree with that! Closing ceremonies are always far from great but I didn't like that. I thought having Jessie J, not once but twice was beyond horrendous. Judging by the reaction on twitter I'm not the only one who though that. Russell Brand - why? For a country that has produced such great music it was cack. Really enjoyed Eric Idle's part though. Also for a country that has produced some of the most incredible classical composers there was none of that. At least Danny Boyle included Elgar in the opening ceremony. I don't care if it was just for "popular" music. Britain has done too much elsewhere in music for it to not to be noted. For me all the best music at the ceremonies came from the specially made compositions from Underworld and Mike Oldfield in the opening ceremonies. Loved the opening ceremony. Thought the closing ceremony was piss. Bit of a let down after two of the best weeks of sport ever.

That was 3 hours I'll never get back. The highlight however being from Take That onwards, it was pretty stunning towards the end. The worst part, and this was the worst over both ceremonies, by far, was Russell Brand performing I am the Walrus. Let's put it this way, to make someone as outgoing as Brand look that awkward, it has to be while doing something incredibly embarrassing.

The playlist, like the opening ceremony, was just mashed up, there was no consistent application to a theme of either influence or popularity, when you have things like Ed Sheeran playing Wish You Were Here, Jessie J covering Queen, and most un-predictably, Kaiser Chiefs playing fucking Pinball Wizard, you know that pretty much anything could have happened.

Also, as much as I love the Beatles, we didn't need several Beatles songs or references, I have no idea how many there were, but it was complete overkill. 3 hours is such a long time to try and put across a fair representation of both influential and popular music and whoever put this together really failed to do so.

On top of this there was no attempts at creativity, it was pretty much just a big concert, that just wouldn't freaking end.

Agree with almost everything you said. I think it was too much different things squished together (and One Direction in the beginning WTF) and only got good towards the end. And when Tinie Tempah and the like went on stage I cringed.

Well, I don't know how talkative the moderators in your countries were, but the German ones just wouldn't shut the f*ck up for like the first 2 hours so I mostly raged through this part of the ceremony. I mean, they talked about freaking PONIES while Elbow was playing ARGH!

The worst part, and this was the worst over both ceremonies, by far, was Russell Brand performing I am the Walrus. Let's put it this way, to make someone as outgoing as Brand look that awkward, it has to be while doing something incredibly embarrassing.

I agree with this. I don't like Russell Brand to begin with, but this was ridiculous. I hated it.

Yeah, more or less. I wouldn't have minded as much if they had put on music I actually liked. Do I want One Direction? Absolutely not.

I thought having Jessie J, not once but twice was beyond horrendous. Judging by the reaction on twitter I'm not the only one who though that.

THIS. I really can't stand her, and to get her twice in one go...UGH. Not to mention that one of those times included a collaboration with Tinie Tempah. :sick:

Really enjoyed Eric Idle's part though.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that bit. I quite enjoyed that.

Thought the closing ceremony was piss. Bit of a let down after two of the best weeks of sport ever.

Opening ceremony >>>>> closing ceremony.

Also, NBC's coverage sucks. I didn't get to see Muse's portion at all. (It was THE reason I was watching this in the first place. SO MAD.) They also left off the ending by The Who, which was really annoying because Bob Costas mentioned they would perform. They mentioned it at the very end, then said they would go straight to the premiere of "Animal Practice" and went off-air without showing them. Don't go saying someone is performing, just to not show them.

Oh well. Thank goodness for YouTube.

That ceremony...come on! The Olympics are every four years, who knows when (or if) they'll ever be in London again...I was really, really wanting to like it...but I just couldn't! Why in the world would they not have Keane? One Direction? Really? If you want someone who can sing really amazing live, Tom Chaplin! He's 100,000,000 times better than Jessie J at singing! And Coldplay's only gonna be at the Paralympics...will I even be able to watch the closing ceremony of the Paralympics?

You know, when I was in England I wouldn't describe it as a chaotic, noisy place...but from watching the opening and closing ceremonies, I got the feeling that Great Britain wasn't a very...great place to live...England is SO beautiful, but I didn't get much of Britain's beauty in the ceremonies...especially the closing...

Another thing, NBC is STUPID! The only reason I'm happy the Olympics are ending is so I don't have to watch NBC for a long time!

Lol, so I guess this is a goodbye to the thread? Well, it's nice to see the world come together in London and in this thread... the great part is that we all (coldplayers) come together every day in the forums... I'm thinking it's the magic of Coldplay :P

We'll see you soon! In Sochi 2014 or Rio 2016 :)

Lol, so I guess this is a goodbye to the thread? Well, it's nice to see the world come together in London and in this thread... the great part is that we all (coldplayers) come together every day in the forums... I'm thinking it's the magic of Coldplay :P

We'll see you soon! In Sochi 2014 or Rio 2016 :)

THIS.

And I feel like congratulating LONDON on THE BEST OLYMPIC GAMES EVER.

In particular after the initial fear / rumours of insufficient security and all.

These Olympic games were brilliant.

My country DENMARK is also very pleased with 9 medals - 2 gold medals, 4 silver medals and 3 bronze medals - in categories where Denmark is always doing fine - 3 medals (one of each) in rowing, 2 in sailing (1 silver, 1 bronze), 2 in badminton (silver and bronze), 1 in cycling, Omnium (gold), 1 silver in shooting (skeets).

So thank you, London and see you in Rio in 2016.

Guest howyousawtheworld
THIS.

And I feel like congratulating LONDON on THE BEST OLYMPIC GAMES EVER.

In particular after the initial fear / rumours of insufficient security and all.

These Olympic games were brilliant.

My country DENMARK is also very pleased with 9 medals - 2 gold medals, 4 silver medals and 3 bronze medals - in categories where Denmark is always doing fine - 3 medals (one of each) in rowing, 2 in sailing (1 silver, 1 bronze), 2 in badminton (silver and bronze), 1 in cycling, Omnium (gold), 1 silver in shooting (skeets).

So thank you, London and see you in Rio in 2016.

Actually thought one of the best dramas of the whole games was the sailing finn class rivalry between your man Jonas Hogh-Christensen and our man Ben Ainslie. It really rocketed when the Christensen accused Ainslie of hitting a marker and picking up a penalty when Ainslie was adamant that he didn't hit it. He said he was angry. "You don't wanna make me angry!" - quote of the games and he sailed on to win the gold medal!

I thought Beijing 4 years ago wouldn't be topped in terms of competition. But I really do think London topped it. Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt writing themselves into two of the greatest sportsmen of all time. The birth of legends Mo Farah, David Rudisha. Ireland winning it's first gold in 16 years thanks to boxer Katie Taylor's efforts in the boxing ring was a brilliant moment as well. Super Saturday for the home nation last week - probably the greatest day of sport the UK has ever witnessed. Chris Hoy and Andy Murray as well! Also the support for the athletes particularly for the home nation was unbelievable. It's brilliant that it will continue into the Paralympics which are on track to be the first ever sellout games. London sets a benchmark for future games because of the friendly and vibrant nature it created.

Despite NBC having available more hours of Olympic coverage then any other TV station in the world, despite the fact no US channel has picked it up they won't be showing 1 single minute of Paralympic action (BBC have the excuse that Channel 4 badly wanted the rights and have been making a big deal about the Olympics- if not BBC would've at least taken the rights for cheap and shown some of it like they did for Beijing) and that's quite sad.

Despite NBC having available more hours of Olympic coverage then any other TV station in the world, despite the fact no US channel has picked it up they won't be showing 1 single minute of Paralympic action (BBC have the excuse that Channel 4 badly wanted the rights and have been making a big deal about the Olympics- if not BBC would've at least taken the rights for cheap and shown some of it like they did for Beijing) and that's quite sad.

I think they should have mentioned the Paralympics in the Closing Ceremony. I know they're two different events but they're very much related and many people won't even know about it.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I was disappointed with the BBC's reluctance to take on the Paralympics. But then if they weren't going to be dedicated to the event then it was just perfect for it to go to Channel 4 because they will give it the attention it deserves, probably for the very first time. It's a shame that the BBC didn't show the same reluctance for Formula One because that would have gone to Channel 4 permanently, every single race, rather than the BBC inviting Sky to take exclusive rights just so they could show half the season and stop them losing the sport for ever.

When BBC get it right they get it right. Their Olympic coverage was the best sports coverage I have ever watched. Just a shame that aside from that their sports coverage has become an absolute joke.

I think they should have mentioned the Paralympics in the Closing Ceremony. I know they're two different events but they're very much related and many people won't even know about it.

I agree, and I don't think they should declare the 2012 Olympics "Officially Closed" at the end of the ceremony, as I think a lot of people consider the Paralympics' last day as the end of the 2012 Olympics for London.

I was disappointed with the BBC's reluctance to take on the Paralympics. But then if they weren't going to be dedicated to the event then it was just perfect for it to go to Channel 4 because they will give it the attention it deserves, probably for the very first time. It's a shame that the BBC didn't show the same reluctance for Formula One because that would have gone to Channel 4 permanently, every single race, rather than the BBC inviting Sky to take exclusive rights just so they could show half the season and stop them losing the sport for ever.

When BBC get it right they get it right. Their Olympic coverage was the best sports coverage I have ever watched. Just a shame that aside from that their sports coverage has become an absolute joke.

I'm just wondering exactly how C4 will go about this, will they incorporate E4, More4 etc? Because I can't see them showing a hell of a lot of Paralympics when they could be showing prime-time C4 events.

With the BBC they'd be looking at using the red button and possibly ambitiously attempting/obliged to show a lot of events as they'd have the facility, but the cost of that is large with a risk of little return. This could hopefully be the year it's no longer seen as a risk for ratings, and I think that's what C4 is trying to do.

I know I'll be watching, hopefully C4's build up continues and gets bigger next week, as in previous years the event starts without a lot of people realising.