✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Chris Hoy becomes the most decorated British Olympian of all time! The first ever British athlete to get 6 gold medals surpassing Sir Steve Redgrave's 5 medals from 1984-2000.

How many Olympic medals does it take for some one to be named a Sir or Dame?

Guest howyousawtheworld
How many Olympic medals does it take for some one to be named a Sir or Dame?

There's no set number which guarantees a knighthood. Generally it will be given in recognition of an achievement that was really outstanding. Sir Steve Redgrave was given a knighthood after winning his 5th gold medal in Sydney in 2000 following golds in 1984, 1988, 1992 and 1996. Chris Hoy was achieved his after he became the first British athlete to win at least 3 gold medals in one Olympic games in Beijing.

Out of Britain's current crop I would expect Ben Ainslie to receive one following his 4th consecutive gold medal in the sailing (he also has a silver from Atlanta 1996). I also think Bradley Wiggins is nailed on as a future knight after becoming the first Briton ever to win the Tour de France last month and the fact that just over a week later he won gold in the road time trial. Cyclist Victoria Pendleton is a possibility for a damehood as well.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Oh, we know Sir Matthew Pinsent's sister.

Really?! That is sweet! He's often overlooked because Sir Steve Redgrave is great (he is probably Britain's greatest ever sportsman) but no one can forget what an incredible athlete he was as well. I remember watching with wrecked nerves the coxless 4s rowing final in Athens 8 years back and Britain just scraped the gold (and Matthew's 4th) medal! Unforgettable.

Beatles' singalongs are becoming something of an occurrence at these Olympics. Here was Saturday nights rendition of "All You Need Is Love" from the Olympic stadium (the atmosphere that place generates has been amazing) just after they had witnessed three British gold medals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jN96ZEJxXU&feature=youtu.be

Guest howyousawtheworld
Mellouli was amazing in the 10km marathon swim!!

Congratulations! Tunisia must be thrilled!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Wow. Mo Farah winning the 5000m following on from his gold in the 10,000m last week. You couldn't make it up. Double Olympic champion at his home Olympics. What an incredible moment! I've got goosebumps.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Looks like the USA will top the medal table ahead of their fellow challengers China. I thought China would repeat their success in Beijing but no. In many cases countries who held the Olympics it is quite often the case that they go on to match and surpass their achievements in the next Olympics. Not quite the case for China. USA are back on top!

But no pressure on Great Britain in Rio then! To be honest I don't really know if Great Britain can match what they've done in London 2012. I would have been delighted had they matched Beijing but 28 gold medals The idea of breaking that mega trio of the USA, China and Russia seemed ridiculous for any nation but now it seems that has been achieved. What a games it has been for the home nation but also for so many other countries.