✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

Yay!!!! The volleyball girls won, so happy for them! Two times gold! :vuvuzela:

That was possibly the best game I saw at these Olympics. Better than anything in athletics or gymnastics and shoulder-to-shoulder with swimming. The Americans were completely powerless against such superb performance of the Brazilian team. Congratulations, well deserved!

Also, the Olympics are over today :(

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
That was possibly the best game I saw at these Olympics. Better than anything in athletics or gymnastics and shoulder-to-shoulder with swimming. The Americans were completely powerless against such superb performance of the Brazilian team. Congratulations, well deserved!

Also, the Olympics are over today :(

Two weeks every 4 years? It just doesn't seem enough. Can hardly believe these London Olympics are nearly over. From the day the city won the games back in July 2005 it seemed like an eternity. And then it begins and finishes in the blink of an eye! Just a few more medals to decide (hopefully ONE more gold for Great Britain in the boxing and there's the USA dream team in basketball final) and then the closing ceremony...which is never as good as the opening ceremony! Fantastic games. Full of massive names and massive performances. Didn't let anyone down.

Guest howyousawtheworld
It's not oven until September when the Para-Olympics end. Hopefully the IOC will see sense and merge the 2 games together from 2020 so that the Para-Olpypmics don't feel the poor cousin of the main games.

The Paralympics don't have anywhere near as many sporting disciplines as the Olympics and besides the venues aren't used for the full two weeks. For example the Velodrome was used for 6 days out of the 16 days the Olympics ran for. I don't see why they can't run our Paralympian's either side of that week. The same goes for swimming and other disciplines. The athletics may present a more logistical problem but that's the only venue I can think of which could present a problem. That said the signs for this years Paralympics are good. Tickets sales have surged and the opening ceremony is set to become the first ever sell out opening ceremony for the Paralympics and tickets in the events are selling very well compared to previous Games. Maybe London 2012 will prove to be a watershed moment for our Paralympians.

It's not oven until September when the Para-Olympics end. Hopefully the IOC will see sense and merge the 2 games together from 2020 so that the Para-Olpypmics don't feel the poor cousin of the main games.

And say goodbye to any recognition Paralympic athletes gain by being completely overshadowed by able-bodied medal winners.

The Paralympics don't have anywhere near as many sporting disciplines as the Olympics and besides the venues aren't used for the full two weeks. For example the Velodrome was used for 6 days out of the 16 days the Olympics ran for. I don't see why they can't run our Paralympian's either side of that week. The same goes for swimming and other disciplines. The athletics may present a more logistical problem but that's the only venue I can think of which could present a problem. That said the signs for this years Paralympics are good. Tickets sales have surged and the opening ceremony is set to become the first ever sell out opening ceremony for the Paralympics and tickets in the events are selling very well compared to previous Games. Maybe London 2012 will prove to be a watershed moment for our Paralympians.

Maybe they can extend the 2 weeks to 3 if not 4 weeks of action instead of having them 6 weeks apart.

Guest howyousawtheworld

So the last medals have been handed out in the modern pentathlon. Laura Asadauskaite of Lithuania takes gold, Britain's Sam Murray takes silver and Yane Marques of Brazil takes bronze.

Great Britain started off with a silver exactly two weeks ago thanks to Lizzie Armistead in the women's road race and ended with a silver medal. And a few medals in between!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Wow. That's Our House and Parklife and West End Girls, that One Direction song etc etc played twice already tonight....as well as two appearances by Emeli Sande! So much for the "playlist to end all playlists"!

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think Rio will do a lovely job. Just like London, just like Beijing, just like Athens and just like Sydney!

p.s - I can only apologise on behalf of Great Britain for Jessie J.

That was 3 hours I'll never get back. The highlight however being from Take That onwards, it was pretty stunning towards the end. The worst part, and this was the worst over both ceremonies, by far, was Russell Brand performing I am the Walrus. Let's put it this way, to make someone as outgoing as Brand look that awkward, it has to be while doing something incredibly embarrassing.

The playlist, like the opening ceremony, was just mashed up, there was no consistent application to a theme of either influence or popularity, when you have things like Ed Sheeran playing Wish You Were Here, Jessie J covering Queen, and most un-predictably, Kaiser Chiefs playing fucking Pinball Wizard, you know that pretty much anything could have happened.

Also, as much as I love the Beatles, we didn't need several Beatles songs or references, I have no idea how many there were, but it was complete overkill. 3 hours is such a long time to try and put across a fair representation of both influential and popular music and whoever put this together really failed to do so.

On top of this there was no attempts at creativity, it was pretty much just a big concert, that just wouldn't freaking end.