✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

And yeah - didn't hear any Keane which was a surprise! No Radiohead, Oasis or Coldplay either! Not even when the athletes were walking out (which was as ever in these opening ceremonies was a bit of a drag).

Yeah, this was very odd. I'm pretty sure the playlist that got leaked a few weeks ago had Creep, Viva La Vida and Wonderwall on it. I'm not really sure that Creep would have fit in, but surely Viva and Wonderwall would have been perfect?

Also, where the hell were Muse? I was very surprised that they didn't perform, seeing as they wrote the official Olympic song and all... the Arctic Monkeys were a pretty random choice of band to perform IMO.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny how British press/people seem to be convincing themselves that the opening ceremony was "Brilliantly Barmingly British!!1" when it was just mainly embarrassing. On a positive, the shots of the unveiling of the industrial revolution were an incredible sight (Despite the entire theme being baffling), the torch itself was a beautiful shot, the Olympic rings forming in the sky was also special.

However, children in beds dancing around a gigantic "NHS" logo, incorporated with the theme to the Exorcist? That was one of the lows, could probably think of at least a handful of others but overall, I was in stiches laughing several times, and that wasn't the intention (The most noteworthy when the Industrial Revolution business men did a little shimmy dance every now and then- oh holy fuck that was funny). I don't think it had to be a full 100% fireworks and fibre optic/visual effects spectacular like Beijing to be amazing, but I'd certainly take a relatively similar show to the shit we saw on Friday.

The main thing that got me was how discordant the entire show was, the best example- they play Indie rock songs from the early 90's, up until about 1997/1998, then suddenly Dizzee Rascal comes out with a song from a decade later. WTF? No mention of 70s, 80s music (of course there were Beatles references earlier, I suppose that counts) and then it just skips out a decade to suddenly move on to grime music. Then they show a montage of further songs from the same period, and it cuts back to Dizzee Rascals video. It's like it was rushed together. It's like Danny Boyle had his iPod on shuffle.

I can give full credit for trying to do something different, but I think where people get lost is that just because it was brave they assume it had to be good, which is just foolish.

Also, where the hell were Muse? I was very surprised that they didn't perform, seeing as they wrote the official Olympic song and all... the Arctic Monkeys were a pretty random choice of band to perform IMO.

Exactly, I was sitting there, wondering how the fuck Arctic Monkeys biggest hit song is being played in the middle of the actual opening ceremony. It made absolutely no sense. And I actually really like that band, but I don't have an interest in seeing them perform that song for the millionth time in a fairly inappropriate circumstance.

Then they played a completely average cover of Come Together, I just- I don't even- my face when:

jC9lb.jpg

WTF?!

Complete list of songs played on Olympic Opening Ceremony by NME

The Who, 'Baba O'Riley'

Muse, 'Map Of The Problematique'

Fuck Buttons, 'Surf Solar'

Sex Pistols, 'God Save The Queen'

The Clash, 'London Calling'

Mike Oldfield, 'Tubular Bells'

OMD, 'Enola Gay'

The Jam, 'Going Underground'

The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'

The Beatles, 'She Loves You'

Millie Small, 'My Boy Lollipop'

Led Zeppelin, 'Trampled Under Foot'

The Specials, 'A Message To You Rudy'

David Bowie, 'Starman'

Queen, 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Eric Clapton, 'Wonderful Tonight'

Sex Pistols, 'Pretty Vacant'

New Order, 'Blue Monday'

Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 'Relax'

Soul II Soul, 'Back To Life'

Happy Mondays, Step On'

Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This'

The Prodigy, 'Firestarter'

Blur, 'Song 2'

Underworld, 'Born Slippy'

Dizzee Rascal, 'Bonkers'

Amy Winehouse, 'Valerie'

Muse, 'Uprising'

Tinie Tempah, 'Pass Out'

David Holmes, 'I Heard Wonders'

Arctic Monkeys, 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor'

The Beatles, 'Come Together' (covered by Arctic Monkeys)

Underworld/Alex Trimble, 'Caliban's Dream'

Pink Floyd, 'Eclipse'

The Beatles, 'The End'

The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'

And I agree, Arctic Monkeys is very random choice. They're not that famous world wide. My friend was like "who are they? :thinking:"

^They aren't even that famous here, as in, my parents probably know who Coldplay are, a lot of people here (Ireland and UK) won't have heard of the Arctic Monkeys (Eg older generation, rap/hip hop fans, etc.) and unless you follow rock/indie music you wouldn't have realised they've had a single out for the last handful of years.

When I saw them I thought it could be an interesting choice, depending on what they do, just to contrast if this was Beijing I don't think a Chinese act playing would need to be particularly worldwide famous to impress. But they just played their biggest song and Come Together. Absolutely pointless.

Guest howyousawtheworld
It is funny how British press/people seem to be convincing themselves that the opening ceremony was "Brilliantly Barmingly British!!1" when it was just mainly embarrassing. On a positive, the shots of the unveiling of the industrial revolution were an incredible sight (Despite the entire theme being baffling), the torch itself was a beautiful shot, the Olympic rings forming in the sky was also special.

However, children in beds dancing around a gigantic "NHS" logo, incorporated with the theme to the Exorcist? That was one of the lows, could probably think of at least a handful of others but overall, I was in stiches laughing several times, and that wasn't the intention (The most noteworthy when the Industrial Revolution business men did a little shimmy dance every now and then- oh holy fuck that was funny). I don't think it had to be a full 100% fireworks and fibre optic/visual effects spectacular like Beijing to be amazing, but I'd certainly take a relatively similar show to the shit we saw on Friday.

The main thing that got me was how discordant the entire show was, the best example- they play Indie rock songs from the early 90's, up until about 1997/1998, then suddenly Dizzee Rascal comes out with a song from a decade later. WTF? No mention of 70s, 80s music (of course there were Beatles references earlier, I suppose that counts) and then it just skips out a decade to suddenly move on to grime music. Then they show a montage of further songs from the same period, and it cuts back to Dizzee Rascals video. It's like it was rushed together. It's like Danny Boyle had his iPod on shuffle.

I can give full credit for trying to do something different, but I think where people get lost is that just because it was brave they assume it had to be good, which is just foolish.

We're not convincing ourselves it's just that we understood it when other people like yourselves couldn't. I thought the tribute to British children and working people was lovely made even better by Mike Oldfield. Yeah it was a bit bizarre but it was something fresh and original. Great seeing an opening ceremony that paid tribute to the normal working person in Britain as well as children. It would have been too easy as well rolling out Horatio Nelson, Winston Churchill and the such as well. Thank fuck Danny Boyle didn't go down the route of trying to make something similar to Beijing because it would have come off shit and desperate of Britain trying to come off as something bigger than it is on the world stage when it's not.

I loved the part of the opening ceremonies was the 7 young athletes running the torch(es) up to the petals. I thought it was pretty cool with the whole new-generation thing. As for the events, I'm watching all swimming, being a swimmer, and rooting for Natalie Coughlin the most. I also like to watch beach volleyball.

We're not convincing ourselves it's just that we understood it when other people like yourselves couldn't.

Assuming I didn't understand it is exactly what I expect from someone convincing themselves (The idea that anyone who didn't like it must not have understood it) but you don't even try to explain it for me, that's because there's very little understanding needed here. "Not understanding" is just an excuse, I disliked the horrible quality of most of the ceremony, the way it was put together, the terrible choreography, the mainly un-impressive visuals, I don't even need to know about the Industrial Revolution or Brits being proud of the NHS, to dislike a very poor and dis-jointed show.

The background, context and meaning of the ceremony has nothing to do with why it was shit, don't kid yourself. If you can explain it better, and educate me, then by all means, because there are definitely a number of details I didn't understand, like why we had a 60 foot high Voldermort appearing to battle Mary Poppins. By all means.

When it comes to comparing it with Beijing, you can say that it is about being quirky, unique, etc, but you can't deny the possibility that the main factor behind it being a serious lack of budget. It really was a panto.

"t is funny how British press/people seem to be convincing themselves that the opening ceremony was "Brilliantly Barmingly British!!1" when it was just mainly embarrassing. On a positive, the shots of the unveiling of the industrial revolution were an incredible sight (Despite the entire theme being baffling), the torch itself was a beautiful shot, the Olympic rings forming in the sky was also special.

The main thing that got me was how discordant the entire show was, the best example- they play Indie rock songs from the early 90's, up until about 1997/1998, then suddenly Dizzee Rascal comes out with a song from a decade later. WTF? No mention of 70s, 80s music (of course there were Beatles references earlier, I suppose that counts) and then it just skips out a decade to suddenly move on to grime music. Then they show a montage of further songs from the same period, and it cuts back to Dizzee Rascals video. It's like it was rushed together. It's like Danny Boyle had his iPod on shuffle."

What a stunningly mongoloid review, must be written by a 15 year old, an illegal immigrant, or an American.

You clearly have no idea about British Culture.

"The entire theme was baffling". WOW, how much of a cretin must one be to not understand or be able to follow the theme? It was artisitic to set a backdrop of squalor and pain with SGT Pepper marching in, or did that confuse you too?

"The exorcist theme". WOW another amazingly stupid comment. Yes it was the theme to the exorcist, so fucking what?! It's called Tubular Bells and it sold 19 million record in the UK Alone (more than any Coldplay Record). Yo also say that you disliked the musical choices, well I thought it was very apt for a British opening ceremony? If Coldpla had been picked I would have slit my wrists with embarrassment. I'm a huge fan but really, that would have been cowtaling to corporate-whoreism. "it was like he had his ipod on shuffle". Hmm yes, it was. How else would you syncrhonise 50 years of British Music without playing them all the way throught from start to finish. Boyle managed to capture all areas of Bitish Music covering all tastes and preferences. Even if you don't like it, Dizzee Rascal and Pop music is now integrated into British culture.

Very ignorant to suggest that the 'shimmying of the insudtrial businessmen" was 'funny'. What else would they fucking do? Just Stand there? Has to be some kinetic movement otherwise it would be like Beijing's ceremony of box people. and on to the 'kids bouncing on the beds'. Do you know what GOSH is? I expect not, a very British institution that saves thousands of children every year from impoverished backgrounds and life threatening illnesses, often if it means they will die anyway. did you understand the literature bit? or as you like to call it "the Kids bouncing on the bed bit", astonishing. British literature is so encompassing, it was highlighted by JK Rowling who is also a fuckig mong and literally any other human would have been more deserving but it illustrated the more famous sides of British literature and how it resonsates with children and their imaginations.

Go to fucking school, read a book, and watch it again, then you might be able to pick some stuff up.

And the NHS was given a fantastic tribute by the nurses of the real life NHS, What was wrong with that?

"t is funny how British press/people seem to be convincing themselves that the opening ceremony was "Brilliantly Barmingly British!!1" when it was just mainly embarrassing. On a positive, the shots of the unveiling of the industrial revolution were an incredible sight (Despite the entire theme being baffling), the torch itself was a beautiful shot, the Olympic rings forming in the sky was also special.

The main thing that got me was how discordant the entire show was, the best example- they play Indie rock songs from the early 90's, up until about 1997/1998, then suddenly Dizzee Rascal comes out with a song from a decade later. WTF? No mention of 70s, 80s music (of course there were Beatles references earlier, I suppose that counts) and then it just skips out a decade to suddenly move on to grime music. Then they show a montage of further songs from the same period, and it cuts back to Dizzee Rascals video. It's like it was rushed together. It's like Danny Boyle had his iPod on shuffle."

What a stunningly mongoloid review, must be written by a 15 year old, an illegal immigrant, or an American.

You clearly have no idea about British Culture.

"The entire theme was baffling". WOW, how much of a cretin must one be to not understand or be able to follow the theme? It was artisitic to set a backdrop of squalor and pain with SGT Pepper marching in, or did that confuse you too?

"The exorcist theme". WOW another amazingly stupid comment. Yes it was the theme to the exorcist, so fucking what?! It's called Tubular Bells and it sold 19 million record in the UK Alone (more than any Coldplay Record). Yo also say that you disliked the musical choices, well I thought it was very apt for a British opening ceremony? If Coldpla had been picked I would have slit my wrists with embarrassment. I'm a huge fan but really, that would have been cowtaling to corporate-whoreism. "it was like he had his ipod on shuffle". Hmm yes, it was. How else would you syncrhonise 50 years of British Music without playing them all the way throught from start to finish. Boyle managed to capture all areas of Bitish Music covering all tastes and preferences. Even if you don't like it, Dizzee Rascal and Pop music is now integrated into British culture.

Very ignorant to suggest that the 'shimmying of the insudtrial businessmen" was 'funny'. What else would they fucking do? Just Stand there? Has to be some kinetic movement otherwise it would be like Beijing's ceremony of box people. and on to the 'kids bouncing on the beds'. Do you know what GOSH is? I expect not, a very British institution that saves thousands of children every year from impoverished backgrounds and life threatening illnesses, often if it means they will die anyway. did you understand the literature bit? or as you like to call it "the Kids bouncing on the bed bit", astonishing. British literature is so encompassing, it was highlighted by JK Rowling who is also a fuckig mong and literally any other human would have been more deserving but it illustrated the more famous sides of British literature and how it resonsates with children and their imaginations.

Go to fucking school, read a book, and watch it again, then you might be able to pick some stuff up.

Guest howyousawtheworld

^ Yeah the fact that not knowing it was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells and presumed that a soundtrack from a horror movie shows little understanding. I wouldn't be surprised if The same people who disliked it thought Kenneth Branagh was playing Abraham Lincoln. It was a great celebration of the Briish worker and youth and the fine institutions they have participated in. Apart from the social media youth partying scene it really rewarded those who knew of Britain's often unheralded history. And the inclusion of GOSH and the deaf choir was touching as well. It really was topped off brilliantly with the 7 young athletes lighting a really beautiful looking flame. But hey some people prefer cheap Hollywood thrills so you can't please everyone.

NME[/url]

The Who, 'Baba O'Riley'

Muse, 'Map Of The Problematique'

Fuck Buttons, 'Surf Solar'

Sex Pistols, 'God Save The Queen'

The Clash, 'London Calling'

Mike Oldfield, 'Tubular Bells'

OMD, 'Enola Gay'

The Jam, 'Going Underground'

The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'

The Beatles, 'She Loves You'

Millie Small, 'My Boy Lollipop'

Led Zeppelin, 'Trampled Under Foot'

The Specials, 'A Message To You Rudy'

David Bowie, 'Starman'

Queen, 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Eric Clapton, 'Wonderful Tonight'

Sex Pistols, 'Pretty Vacant'

New Order, 'Blue Monday'

Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 'Relax'

Soul II Soul, 'Back To Life'

Happy Mondays, Step On'

Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This'

The Prodigy, 'Firestarter'

Blur, 'Song 2'

Underworld, 'Born Slippy'

Dizzee Rascal, 'Bonkers'

Amy Winehouse, 'Valerie'

Muse, 'Uprising'

Tinie Tempah, 'Pass Out'

David Holmes, 'I Heard Wonders'

Arctic Monkeys, 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor'

The Beatles, 'Come Together' (covered by Arctic Monkeys)

Underworld/Alex Trimble, 'Caliban's Dream'

Pink Floyd, 'Eclipse'

The Beatles, 'The End'

The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'

NME forgot some tracks that I can think of on top of my head, so I have no idea why to call it a complete songlist. Where's Brain Eno's An Ending? And Mike Oldfield's In Dulci Jubilo? And Vangelis' Charoits of Fire? I am sure there's missing more then. And I find it questionable that only comments below the article show up that praise Arctic Monkeys instead of what I see here, that most people are like 'WTF? That's random" No, instead I read posts like:

"The only band that can make the Beatles sound better! Arctic monkeys !"

"Best band around now, Arctic Monkeys, doing the best band of all time, Beatles, music"

You cannot tell me that only these kins of posts were posted, surely they filtered the less positive posts out. Whatever, luckily this board doesn't. :thinking:

The opening of the Olympics was amazing to me. The industrial revolution to make a ring that would fit in the logo. Then the binding and the sparks coming off, amazing! Also the idea behind and the look of the fire was Wow.

The press and the media have put British representatives under a horrible lot of pressure, I think it affects their performance quite a lot. :thumbsdown:

On the bright side, I love how France beat USA in the freestyle relay yesterday :thumbsup:

On the bright side, I love how France beat USA in the freestyle relay yesterday :thumbsup:

Yes mouahahahaha :D

USA was great, but we were incredible as well and for the last 100m Yannick Agnel was freakin surreal :awesome: So proud of France :D

Yes mouahahahaha :D

USA was great, but we were incredible as well and for the last 100m Yannick Agnel was freakin surreal :awesome: So proud of France :D

Poor USA...oh well. Actually...I usually cheer for Italy, GB, or S. Korea over USA (very quietly though) Don't really know why. But I still cheer for USA. I haven't seen anything with Thai or Mongol athletes in it.....

NME forgot some tracks that I can think of on top of my head, so I have no idea why to call it a complete songlist. Where's Brain Eno's An Ending? And Mike Oldfield's In Dulci Jubilo? And Vangelis' Charoits of Fire? I am sure there's missing more then. And I find it questionable that only comments below the article show up that praise Arctic Monkeys instead of what I see here, that most people are like 'WTF? That's random" No, instead I read posts like:

"The only band that can make the Beatles sound better! Arctic monkeys !"

"Best band around now, Arctic Monkeys, doing the best band of all time, Beatles, music"

You cannot tell me that only these kins of posts were posted, surely they filtered the less positive posts out. Whatever, luckily this board doesn't. :thinking:

The opening of the Olympics was amazing to me. The industrial revolution to make a ring that would fit in the logo. Then the binding and the sparks coming off, amazing! Also the idea behind and the look of the fire was Wow.

No offense! I like Arctic Monkeys too. They did a fantastic job. But as I said a lot of people don't have any idea who they are and why are they performing at Olympic Opening Ceremony.

And oh yes, I should never trust NME. :P

First Silver Medal for Thailand in Weightlifting.

yeayyyy