✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

You comparing it to the incomparable that was Beijing displays that you were completely deluded in your expectations.

Since this discussion started you are equal, if not more, in comparisons with Beijing. Anyway, from the start:

I don't think it had to be a full 100% fireworks and fibre optic/visual effects spectacular like Beijing to be amazing, but I'd certainly take a relatively similar show to the shit we saw on Friday.

You just keep pathetically dragging this debate all over the place, when I never intended it to even be a debate- I thought the ceremony looked ridiculous, hilarious, it was a laughing stock of depressing proportions, I felt it was laid out horribly. I never questioned the meaning behind the themes, you even implied I must have something against the NHS nurses and Great Ormond Street just because I thought it looked cheesy- no, just no.

I'm still getting the feeling that you're just butthurt about it because you know it's true, it looked like a joke. You can keep going on about Brunel, the dedicated nurses, or a song that's only famous for being in a soundtrack being known only for being in a soundtrack (The horror!), but in the end you can try and call it quirky, unique, fresh, meaningful, whatever you want to call it, it will always remain the WTF of Olympic opening ceremonies.

The main reason I think you know it's true is because you went from saying it was not only comparable but better then Beijing, now you keep going on about how it could never even try to be Beijing, because it would never match up and expecting it to be as good as Beijing is apparently deluded (Your words). Let's see what you think next week.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_61937035_michael_phelps_getty.jpg

Michael Phelps breaks Olympic record with 19th medal

Michael Phelps won a record 19th Olympic medal as he helped the US team to gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay.

It means Phelps also picked up his 15th gold medal as he swam the anchor leg to complete a winning time of six minutes 59.70 seconds ahead of France in second and China in third.

Ryan Lochte put the US team in total control with a blistering first leg and they barely lost their advantage. Phelps overtakes Russian gymnast Larisa Latynina who won 18 medals.

"I thanked those guys for helping me get to this moment," Phelps said. "I told those guys I wanted a big lead. I was like, 'You better give me a big lead going into the last lap,' and they gave it to me. I just wanted to hold on. I thanked them for being able to allow me to have this moment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18902418

Congrats to the USA, they were definitely the best by far.

No regrets for the French team, who basically did their best time, so they couldn't have done much more. And we're second, which has never happened in the 4x200m freestyle relay :D

Guest howyousawtheworld
Since this discussion started you are equal, if not more, in comparisons with Beijing. Anyway, from the start:

You just keep pathetically dragging this debate all over the place, when I never intended it to even be a debate- I thought the ceremony looked ridiculous, hilarious, it was a laughing stock of depressing proportions, I felt it was laid out horribly. I never questioned the meaning behind the themes, you even implied I must have something against the NHS nurses and Great Ormond Street just because I thought it looked cheesy- no, just no.

I'm still getting the feeling that you're just butthurt about it because you know it's true, it looked like a joke. You can keep going on about Brunel, the dedicated nurses, or a song that's only famous for being in a soundtrack being known only for being in a soundtrack (The horror!), but in the end you can try and call it quirky, unique, fresh, meaningful, whatever you want to call it, it will always remain the WTF of Olympic opening ceremonies.

The main reason I think you know it's true is because you went from saying it was not only comparable but better then Beijing, now you keep going on about how it could never even try to be Beijing, because it would never match up and expecting it to be as good as Beijing is apparently deluded (Your words). Let's see what you think next week.

It was unique. If something is "unique" then it can't be compared to anything. London was unique. Beijing was unique. Sydney was unique. I'm not butthurt at anything. Quite frankly many moments of the ceremony astounded me. The Elgar opening was incredible. The industrial revolution was awe inspiring with an incredible set and a phenomenal soundtrack. The tribute to the NHS, GOSH and children's literature was somewhat bizarre but sweet and lovely at the same time. The social media part - yeah not too fussed about that and it was by far the weakest part of the ceremony. The closing with the entrance of the flame was incredible. (plus I doubt you have the knowledge as to who Brunel is - see we can all be presumptuous morons as well). There's no argument to be dragged here Reilly. Your petty presumptuous nature meant it was in the gutter from the off, as usual. The fact you can't believe that I believe that is very sad. The only thing I know is true is that I really believed Friday's ceremony was absolutely wonderful. I don't need some guy sitting behind his computer screen who doesn't know me to tell me otherwise.

Thanks.

_61937035_michael_phelps_getty.jpg

Michael Phelps breaks Olympic record with 19th medal

Michael Phelps won a record 19th Olympic medal as he helped the US team to gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay.

It means Phelps also picked up his 15th gold medal as he swam the anchor leg to complete a winning time of six minutes 59.70 seconds ahead of France in second and China in third.

Ryan Lochte put the US team in total control with a blistering first leg and they barely lost their advantage. Phelps overtakes Russian gymnast Larisa Latynina who won 18 medals.

"I thanked those guys for helping me get to this moment," Phelps said. "I told those guys I wanted a big lead. I was like, 'You better give me a big lead going into the last lap,' and they gave it to me. I just wanted to hold on. I thanked them for being able to allow me to have this moment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18902418

Woot! About time.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Woot! About time.

What an incredible athlete. So glad he did it.

Tomorrow sees the resumption of cycling. High hopes for Bradley Wiggins in the time trial tomorrow. After winning the Tour de France and doing all he could to help Mark Cavendish on Saturday can he win gold tomorrow? Would be amazing if he could. Also fingers crossed for Emma Pooley in the women's time trial tomorrow. The course doesn't suit her style (she's more suited to the mountainous/hilly courses) but you can never rule her out. You can always rely on her to give 110% whether it's for herself or her team.

I don't think it's possible for me to watch this and not be amazed.

tumblr_m82158VEJf1qfx9mto5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m82158VEJf1qfx9mto6_r2_250.gif

Congratulations to the US Women's Team Gymnastics or whatever the formal name was

oh and I thought the opening ceremony was incredible, I want to give Danny Boyle a hug and a high five. :wacky:

Darn those pesky Japanese, we earned that silver medal :snobby:

HYSTW explained what happened to me, but I didn't understand fully until I saw it last night. That call was so bogus. If that was a handstand, then I'm a handstand expert. A huge injustice to you guys, and even more so to the Ukraine, who got knocked off the podium.

I don't think it's possible for me to watch this and not be amazed.

tumblr_m82158VEJf1qfx9mto5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m82158VEJf1qfx9mto6_r2_250.gif

Congratulations to the US Women's Team Gymnastics or whatever the formal name was

I just finished watching that. 'MURIKAH! :awesome:

HYSTW explained what happened to me, but I didn't understand fully until I saw it last night. That call was so bogus. If that was a handstand, then I'm a handstand expert. A huge injustice to you guys, and even more so to the Ukraine, who got knocked off the podium.
I can't find a video back of the performance :( Does anyone have a link to the controversial Japanese gymnastic entry?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Oh disappointed for GB in the mens eight. Still they gave it their all and got a bronze. For a moment I thought the impossible but Germany showed their class in that last 500m as did Canada who were superb in the end. Well done Germany!

It was unique. If something is "unique" then it can't be compared to anything. London was unique. Beijing was unique. Sydney was unique. I'm not butthurt at anything. Quite frankly many moments of the ceremony astounded me. The Elgar opening was incredible. The industrial revolution was awe inspiring with an incredible set and a phenomenal soundtrack. The tribute to the NHS, GOSH and children's literature was somewhat bizarre but sweet and lovely at the same time. The social media part - yeah not too fussed about that and it was by far the weakest part of the ceremony. The closing with the entrance of the flame was incredible. (plus I doubt you have the knowledge as to who Brunel is - see we can all be presumptuous morons as well). There's no argument to be dragged here Reilly. Your petty presumptuous nature meant it was in the gutter from the off, as usual. The fact you can't believe that I believe that is very sad. The only thing I know is true is that I really believed Friday's ceremony was absolutely wonderful. I don't need some guy sitting behind his computer screen who doesn't know me to tell me otherwise.

Thanks.

I am some guy behind a computer screen who has observed your conflicting attitudes as to whether this is better then Beijing or not even comparable, and now you're giving a different reason as to why they shouldn't be compared, so the conclusions are pretty obvious to anyone. Maybe this episode can teach you not to just conform to your own expectations because of your background and wanting something to be great even when it isn't.

I have nothing to be petty about, I wanted Boyle to pull off a great ceremony and I don't know why you wrote that or what you meant by it (Unless you're just writing random insulting adjectives for the sake of it- wouldn't surprise me). Say for example Ireland had hosted this, and it was similar in the way we demonstrated themes of Irish history, like having a huge fuck-off "HSE" logo around a bunch of sickie beds, I would find it just as ridiculously stupid, but I'm me, and you're you.

You're welcome.

Guest howyousawtheworld

^ Save your time mate.

Bradley Wiggins wins gold in the time trial 10 days after winning the Tour de France. One of the greatest British sportsmen of all time! Chris Froome who came second in the Tour got the bronze as well! Awesome!

^ Save your time mate.

Maybe we could've both saved our time from the start, I didn't write my opinion on the ceremony directly to you, I don't know why you felt you had to then educate me on the completely obvious themes of it. Nothings changed here, I said the look and sequence of events were terrible, and I stand by that, and I also said that British people and the media are convincing themselves that the ceremony was quirkily brilliant and you've done nothing but prove that more to me by dragging it all over the place about how I didn't understand the themes and therefore couldn't have an opinion on how awful it was.

blimey, I know you can't get sport well with a shoulder that hurts but still I expected more than 7 of Cancellara

and what was that in rowing :stunned: Mayens last in his semi final, fuuuuuuuuuuuu

our hockey boys did play well against Holland, sad they lost. Tomorrow the girls against GB