✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everything Olympics 2012

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

Wow! Katherine Grainger finally gets her gold medal alongside Anna Watkins after 3 silvers in Sydney, Athens and Beijing. The support there was amazing!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Brilliant swim there from the 15 year old Ledecky. Wonder if the US team will call that disturbing.

Thought not.

In the cycling the men smashed the world record for the team pursuit once again, and then Victoria Pendleton got the gold! British cycling is incredible.

I'm sorry for Adlington in women's swimming for having lost to those American and Spanish swimmers. But it's no use crying over spilt milk, it's yet another medal for Britain and it has its shine. Congratulations to fellow coldplayers whose countrymen won medals today! :nice:

_62028450_62028042.jpg

Andy Murray to face Roger Federer for tennis gold medal

Britain's Andy Murray will meet Roger Federer in the Olympic men's singles final on Sunday after securing a straight-sets win over Novak Djokovic.

Murray beat the Serbian world number two 7-5 7-5 in exactly two hours on Wimbledon's Centre Court and is now guaranteed at least a silver medal.

Standing between the Briton and the biggest title of his career is Federer, who beat him in the Wimbledon final.

The Swiss overcame Juan Martin del Potro 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 19-17.

The match lasted four hours and 26 minutes, the longest three-set singles match in the Open era.

"It was a big match obviously. Very tough from start to finish," said Federer, who won his seventh Wimbledon singles title at the Olympic venue just a few weeks ago.

"I don't think I have ever played as long a set in a best of three-set match, so it was very physical at the end and so mental.

"I feel bad and horrible for Juan Martin but he can be very proud."

Federer struggled in the windy conditions on Centre Court and was broken in game eight of the first set, which Del Potro served out to love.

After failing to convert two break points early in the second, the top seed scrambled his way out of trouble in games five and nine before taking the set on a tie-break.

In the deciding set, both men looked nervous as the games ticked by and the crowd became increasingly involved, yet it was a tiring Del Potro who buckled first with a poor backhand in game 35.

This time, Federer managed to hold tight, kissing the Swiss badge on his shirt in celebration.

"It is tough to speak now, I feel sad, but Roger made a fantastic match. He is a good winner," said Del Potro.

"When you lose, you can't see the good things. I just hope I will be better before my mixed doubles match."

The longest men's three-set match before today's contest came at the 2009 Madrid Masters, when Rafael Nadal beat Djokovic 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (9-7) in a semi-final encounter that lasted four hours and three minutes.

Earlier in the week, Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's 6-3 3-6 25-23 win against Canadian Milos Raonic was the longest three-set match in terms of number of games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18916095

Guest howyousawtheworld

Watched Andy against Novak Djokovic. He was brilliant. It takes something to beat Novak these days. He will have a tide of goodwill and feeling behind him on Sunday and the incredible British crowd who will make sure he gets over that line to win gold. Come on Andy!

^Indeed, I wasn't expecting Florent Manaudou winning a medal, especially the golden one!!!

Yay, 8th gold medal for us :dance::awesome:

I missed it though, I need to watch it asap

No, go Federer, it's his last chance to win this one! :angry:

Guest howyousawtheworld

It's amazing that 14 of the United States' gold medal have come in the pool. Pure dominance.

Personally I think the games have been amazing so far. Their may have been seating problems in the first couple of days but since then it's been amazing. The atmosphere looks so incredible at times and equal to that of Sydney in 2000. There seems to be a really good buzz in Britain at the moment.