✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Phobias?

Cobalt

:nod: That's also why an irrational amount of fear for spiders is called arachnophobia. Definitely a phobia.

By the same token though, hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words. And that's not a rational fear in the slightest :P

I do think you're right though by saying it's about the amount of fear.

By the same token though, hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words. And that's not a rational fear in the slightest :P

I do think you're right though by saying it's about the amount of fear.

I didn't say it should be a rational fear? I don't think it matters whether it's rational or not. For me, as an entomologist, a fear of spiders/bugs is irrational too, hahaha!

Great when you have hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. How can you ever pronounce that word when you're so afraid of it?

I also like arachibutyrophobia: Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. :laugh3:

Strictly speaking, aren't phobias irrational fears? Isn't it perfectly acceptable to be afraid of some of the things listed, namely bees, heights, spiders, public speaking, that kind of thing?

x-phobia is just a Greek-derived word that means 'fear' or 'aversion' for 'x'. 'X' can be anything you want, since the process of making a word like this is productive in English (and I suppose in many other languages). The word formed can be used as a psychological technical term and, in that case, it entails these, uhm, symptoms (? - sorry if I'm using the wrong expressiom here). Outside of this field, in day-to-day language, it can be used in a lighter and less precise sense, which I believe is what a lot of posters did so far. (Which is not a problem regarding the uses of the word.)

As for me, I don't think I have any. I get some discomfort when I'm around people I don't know, but not sure if it's some sort of phobia.

Escalators, and I only comment on this because I've always considered my phobia to be one of the strangest. I'm fine with lifts and stairs, but if I get on an escalator, my legs seize up, I shake and I don't want to see where I'm going. Which is awkward when you fall onto a lady in front of you instead of stepping off.

Have you ever walked up an elevator that isn't working before? You feel like you are constantly gonna fall over.

mines the weirdest

Pfft, I have a phobia that I'll be bouncing on a trampoline naked and someone will take a photograph of me as I fall whilst gravity asserts itself on my genitals and it appears what is actually a flaccid penis is in fact a small erection. Then they use said picture to discredit my genitals and the whole world laughs.

Nah, only kidding, yours is weirder.

Have you ever walked up an elevator that isn't working before? You feel like you are constantly gonna fall over.

Pfft, I have a phobia that I'll be bouncing on a trampoline naked and someone will take a photograph of me as I fall whilst gravity asserts itself on my genitals and it appears what is actually a flaccid penis is in fact a small erection. Then they use said picture to discredit my genitals and the whole world laughs.

well thats actually pretty scary

• 1 year later...

Still plagues me to this day.