✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Phobias?

Cobalt

I got curious after the "What Scares The Crap Out Of You" thread.

There is being a bit frightened by something... and then there are phobias. An intense and usually irrational fear of something, usually intense enough that it interferes with your day-to-day life. Does anyone have or has had one?

Mine... is astrophobia. I hate thunderstorms. I do not want to be near them, I would rather they go away entirely. I check weather websites far more often than I should, just for this reason. If one rolls in, I usually will end up turning off the computer and moving in the direction of the nearest bed to hide under the covers. Sometimes with earbuds to mute the sound.

It was ever since I was young but it's gotten worse since Christmas Day last year, when a pair of super-cells rolled in without warning and really damaged my house, along with a standard storm behind it. Can't stand hail either for that reason.

I used to think it was a rational fear, since you hear about storms damaging buildings and lightning injuring or killing people, but I am getting rather sick of the symptoms, especially when the storm itself ends up passing sooner or later.

sorry i really made this thread because there was another one tonight and i got quite upset and thought this forum of interesting people may relate and share ideas

WHAT SAY YOU, do you also have a phobia?

ETA: I forgot to make the "SCALLYWAG! Stop making clone threads!" poll option. Oh well.

I have Arachnophobia. I am terrified of spiders. I won't go in certain rooms if I know there is a spider. I've never even been in the shed in my garden because I know there are spiders in there:(

I am squeamish at the sight and thought of them, even now whilst typing...the thought of them makes me feel shaky :/

I usually end up crying if there is one near me :cry:

I love spiderman though

Escalators, and I only comment on this because I've always considered my phobia to be one of the strangest. I'm fine with lifts and stairs, but if I get on an escalator, my legs seize up, I shake and I don't want to see where I'm going. Which is awkward when you fall onto a lady in front of you instead of stepping off.

Fire :blank:

I'm fine with enclosed fire - fireplaces, candles in glasses. lanterns. I'm fine with being near fire or walking past it.

But I'm terrified of holding matches or lighters.

I think it's more an irrational fear of panicing and dropping it and setting everything on fire or setting my hair on fire like a girl did at school with one of the bunsen burners.

That was not pleasant.

I already said it before, i think there was already a phobia thread and its birds.

Something happened when I was young for me to have that phobia... just researched its called Ornithophobia.

"Sufferers of this phobia might fear that they will be attacked by a bird or may simply be uncomfortable around them. They would usually fear their fluttering wings, the way they move, the way they fearlessly fly towards people hoping for food, the texture of feathers, the fear of disease or any combination of these. Birds can also be loud, large and menacing, and they can demonstrate little fear of humans"

This is how I feel omg, and just looking at the wikipedia page picture freaks me out.

Birdsniper.jpg

All kinds of birds scare me but I mostly see pigeons when i walk to school and i try to make them fly away and when they do i cover my head and people look at me weird

Escalators, and I only comment on this because I've always considered my phobia to be one of the strangest. I'm fine with lifts and stairs, but if I get on an escalator, my legs seize up, I shake and I don't want to see where I'm going. Which is awkward when you fall onto a lady in front of you instead of stepping off.

I used to be the same but I somehow got used to it when I moved to London.

Not really a phobia, but I hate things above my head. I always avoid walking under huge hanging lights, or weird ceiling things, or anything that could fall on me. I try to put myself out of the way of them. But I'm not gonna hyperventilate if I am under something. Lol, I'd just prefer not to be.

When a plane flies over and it makes a lot of noise, I get scared because I'm convinced it's crashing on top of me, or a part falls of and drops on me. My heart beats really fast, I start sweating and I almost lose it because I'm 100% sure I'm going to be crushed by it. And sometimes it turns out it wasn't even a plane, but just a truck driving by.

I must have died like this in my previous life. :nod:

Or I saw Donnie Darko too many times.

I'm afraid of flying.

Me too. I had a bad experience on a flight and it scared the shit out of me. I refused to fly for a while... which wasn't do-able. If I had an upcoming flight, I'd panic, get sick, and get depressed for weeks leading up to the flight. Once I made it to the airport, I'd beg to go back home or to the train station... and eventually get on the plane out of fear of disappointing the person I was flying to see. Flying is something I have to do to see my family though, so with a little help and a lot of work, I've made great progress.

I've always thought of it as an irrational amount of fear, like I have a problem with spiders but I don't shiver at the thought of them, avoid a room that has one, etc. like someone else said.
:nod: That's also why an irrational amount of fear for spiders is called arachnophobia. Definitely a phobia.