✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm glad I'm not a girl

Prince Myshkin

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, I was just about to check how I did. Oh well :)

you had at least 1 vote though!

on topic, kind of

Make-up irritates me. I get really pissed when my friends say "oh, I think all girls should wear make-up! Especcially mascara! your eyes are the most beautiful thing you have, you have to show them!" ...why, actually? the other day one of them had an inflamed eye so she couldn't wear mascara and someone said "oouuuh if that-one-guy-you-fancy-even-though-you-don't-want-to-admit-it still talks to you now, when you're not wearing make-up thennnnn :wideeyed: :wideeyed:"

:sad2: I actually thought she was prettier without mascara... I just don't get why girls should wear make-up to be presentable and boys shouldn't. I refuse to use make-up so I don't know but man that must take quite a lot of your time. saying this probably makes me look like a lazy person :|

can we just ban make-up? I don't see the point.

Just needed to get that off my chest

Nah, banning make up removes the choice. It can be a form of expression for all genders and for many it can make them feel a lot more comfortable - regardless of the reasons behind them feeling this way it would be unfair to remove the carpet from underneath anybody and say they can't do that. The problem comes when it is expected of people. If it was purely a choice it would be less of a contentious issue, unfortunately you get situations where employers pretty much demand their female employees to wear make up if they are involved in working with the public, which is incredibly distasteful.

Like I said, ideally it would be an open and fair choice on whether a person wanted to or not. Unfortunately at the moment societies norm dictates a lot of people's actions, and this is a shame. Things are changing though, gradually. But things will have gone wrong if make up was banned.

Yeah you're absolutely right. I think I was a bit too focused on the reason why it makes most girls feel more comfortable: because everyone else uses it (at least I think that's the biggest reason...)

unfortunately you get situations where employers pretty much demand their female employees to wear make up if they are involved in working with the public, which is incredibly distasteful.

Ew. That kind of people

bmh.gif

aye theres something that has been bugging me since september

everyone in class is deciding which city theyll live in for university and im noticing something that makes me sick at the stomach

when it comes to guys, they can decide whichever city to live in, no matter how far it is from home, or if you dont know anybody that lives there already

when it comes to girls you can decide but you can't choose a city in which you'll be completely alone, why? Because you are a girl.

Theres one of my classmates, shes a girl, she's going to study in Milan, 11 hours of bus from our hometown, she's going to live with her older brother (two years older than her) that studies in Milan too. We were talking about "why" Milan and she said because her brother lived there and the university she chose was one of the best in italy (which is true by the way), following that i asked if there were other people there that she and her brother already knew before moving there, she said no.

Her brother moved there alone, without any family member or friend or whatever, i was quite surprise by that, she then said to me "well he is a guy, parents always will let guys decide everything no matter what, this will never happen to us, girls"

and she's right

and it makes me sick

Is this a kind of unwritten rule or is there an outright obstacle in the way placed there by the universities? If it is only a trend by parents that can be ignored and isn't followed by everyone, then hopefully this will disappear in the future as people become more aware of how damaging such a practice can be, and how much of a restriction of freedom it is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Is this a kind of unwritten rule or is there an outright obstacle in the way placed there by the universities? If it is only a trend by parents that can be ignored and isn't followed by everyone, then hopefully this will disappear in the future as people become more aware of how damaging such a practice can be, and how much of a restriction of freedom it is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

its just parents being assholes

in all seriousness, it's a pretty big problem that everyone scoffs at "modern feminism", because, you know, it was good in the past and now it's bad

i mean, the thing about "modern feminism" is that it has so many submovements and perspectives within it that there's hardly much overlap. which is both a major plus and a major flaw, but still.

it's just kind of ironic and ridiculous that "modern feminism" can be unified in to one thing at a time where it's never been so un-unified before. there is a huge movement called equity feminism that works on lifting both men and women (and other genders) towards liberation from gender roles and equality, which people conveniently ignore when making these kinds of one-off arguments

I don't think it's any less unified than the early days when you had a significant percentage of women saying that women weren't equal and that they should know their place. I think there are more places to properly debate it and more diverse discussions taking place meaning it's broader (given intersectional feminism now exists - the fact this is widely accepted at least as an idea, though not completely, shows that there is at least more common ground than there was in many respects. I think with the wealth of information this wave of feminism brings, thanks to the internet, things are bound to look more fractured than they actually are. People will think that opinions about sport are far more polarised than they presumed, simply because there's more people shouting. There'll still be plenty of common ground that isn't focussed on in the same detail.

yep, i agree. but i meant, there's never been so many submovements and different group interpretations of feminism that actually had a place for discussion, i mean. like, i can't imagine sex-positive feminism or trans feminism or radical feminism or black feminism or intersectional feminism having as much momentum a few decades ago, let alone "the early days"

i agree that the internet makes things look more polarized because you can have a seperate discussion for everything etc. but at the same time, what is the face of modern feminism? what ideals do you think of to generalize it all? the definition of feminism isn't even concrete, some people think it's gender equality (which involves working with both men and women, as well as other genders), and some people think it's liberating just women up. you can't tell me that's a unified movement that you can make a generalization of, y'know?

edited previous posts for any cissexism

the problem with modern age femminism is mainstream feminism, that kind of feminism that calls men "whiny" and puts them down to make their point, that feminism that puts a man scientist down for wearing a shirt with sexy women on it for being "provocative" but wants school to let them wear crop tops because "dress code is awful!!!!1!!1!!". That kind of feminism that if you say "sorry i dont agree with you, i dont think i can call myself feminism at this point" they call you a slut lol

Mainstream modern age feminism is made of 15 years old fighting on websites so they can go to school wearing only a bra

Greg you should check this blog, that speaks the truth http://check-your-privilege-feminists.tumblr.com/

the problem with modern age femminism is mainstream feminism, that kind of feminism that calls men "whiny" and puts them down to make their point, that feminism that puts a man scientist down for wearing a shirt with sexy women on it for being "provocative" but wants school to let them wear crop tops because "dress code is awful!!!!1!!1!!". That kind of feminism that if you say "sorry i dont agree with you, i dont think i can call myself feminism at this point" they call you a slut lol

Mainstream modern age feminism is made of 15 years old fighting on websites so they can go to school wearing only a bra

Greg you should check this blog, that speaks the truth http://check-your-privilege-feminists.tumblr.com/

I thought this was a good blog on the scientist's shirt: http://www.ianhopkinson.org.uk/2014/11/feminism/

I think the response to feminist discussion from certain areas can sometimes be more interesting to the finer details of feminist discussion.

The majority of feminist discussion I see is about reducing violence against women, improving their ability to choose what life they want and how they want to live it, the hypocrisies present in every country on the planet when it comes to their treatment of women and general respect of both genders. A lot of the less important stuff gets pushed to the front of the argument as it gets more newspapers sold, or gets more hits on the website. Content is probably the least important it has ever been (this is speculation, I have nothing to back that up with) in comparison to making money from hosting content, given now there is so much competition and anybody can 'publish' something online. It's like how we get very offensive people with overly simplified arguments saying things we just can't say any more (shock horror), simply because people will listen or read because they are idiots/misguided, or because they are prejudiced, or even because it annoys them. I'm guilty of watching clips of Fox News, even though I know it will annoy me. But yeah, these kind of things are made because they sell, and feminism like every movement or idea can be targeted by these kind of peoples as click bait or to create their own 'shocking' careers. Unfortunately, people presume these kind of things are mainstream, the irony being that they have the potential to become mainstream the more they are pushed forward and the less people have to actually think about an issue.

just noticed something, i read about girls being bullied at school because they wear pads instead of tampons when on their period, its really strange because the "tampon culture" (if i can call it like that) doesnt exist here in italy, like, girls that still go to high school or even university rarely or don't use tampons AT ALL. Tampons are even less advertized than pads.

Its just stupid to think that there are girls that fight over tampons or pads