✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay setlist cull - Which songs need 'a rest'?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

So, with Coldplay in the middle of a short promo tour of Ghost Stories, it's probably time to see what songs you think could do with 'a rest' from these or future tour dates? Politik was given the cop midway through the MX Tour much to the chagrin of many Coldplayers! You can't help but feel this tour would have been the perfect opportunity to roll out some classic gems. See You Soon, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Square One or Sparks?

My candidates for the chop are as follows:

Personally, taking one look at their setlists of late I would be very keen to drop Viva La Vida. As much as I adore the song, it's getting a bit tired on stage and doesn't occupy the same timeless quality or rawness that Yellow or In My Place could consistently provide. Fix You is not a necessity either and it's good to see it got the chop last night in LA - as they proved at London 2012, you can put on a great performance without the need to bring out Fix You. Likewise Paradise....in fact I'd be more than happy if Charlie Brown was the only sole MX survivor as Fix You was for X&Y.

So that's mine sorted - Viva La Vida, Paradise and Fix You. What's yours?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Viva la Vida was too big of a hit to just chop. Besides, whether it's been overplayed or not, it's still a fantastic singalong song.

Also, keep in mind that there's a huge amount of people who go to a Coldplay show who have never seen them live before.

I wouldn't chop Fix You, either, since it's also a great anthem song. I'd probably chop Paradise (and, I agree, I wouldn't mind if Charlie Brown was the sole Mylo Xyloto song, at least for the time being) (Although, I could also see ETIAW being played in stadiums again)

I think it's great that they played Yellow yesterday...and I am one of those people who would really hate to see Yellow go... That song IS Coldplay.

Other than that, I can see several Ghost Stories songs not making it to the bigger tours (at least in a few years) But I suppose, due to the nature of GS, that's normal.

Fix You is personally my option number 1. It's a nice song but i'd prefer to listen to a lot of other songs before that one.

Though, I'd image it would be hard for them to drop it since it's a favourite of so many people, and I think I've said this before but I know people who say they would go to their concert only to listen to Fix You :\

Guest howyousawtheworld
I think Viva la Vida was too big of a hit to just chop. Besides, whether it's been overplayed or not, it's still a fantastic singalong song.

Also, keep in mind that there's a huge amount of people who go to a Coldplay show who have never seen them live before.

I wouldn't chop Fix You, either, since it's also a great anthem song. I'd probably chop Paradise (and, I agree, I wouldn't mind if Charlie Brown was the sole Mylo Xyloto song, at least for the time being) (Although, I could also see ETIAW being played in stadiums again)

I think it's great that they played Yellow yesterday...and I am one of those people who would really hate to see Yellow go... That song IS Coldplay.

Other than that, I can see several Ghost Stories songs not making it to the bigger tours (at least in a few years) But I suppose, due to the nature of GS, that's normal.

I absolutely agree and it'd be selfish of the band to play only what they wanted but I can't help but feel they would get that fix from the likes of In My Place (the moment when thousands of people scream 'Yeeaaaaaaahhhhh' in that song kills me) or Yellow. When I went to see them for the first time back in 2008 my abiding memory to this day is still the euphoria of In My Place and Yellow and not, as I would have expected before the concert, Viva La Vida and Clocks.

I doubt that they would ever drop Viva La Vida. It's their biggest hit to date. For me though, I think they should either drop Clocks or Fix You. Most of you here voted for Fix You too, and I agree with your reasons! Clocks on the other hand, as great as it sounds live, could be substituted with something like Politik, or maybe even Shiver :D

They definitely need to atleast bring some older songs back!!! I hate that most of the songs they play( that arent from the album they are promoting) are just singles. Very few non singles. And im not saying i dont want to hear singles but i would love to hear: AROBTTH, Sparks, Spies, WE NEVER CHANGE, What if, Amsterdam, X & Y, just to name a few.

ALSO PLEASE PLAY SOME FREAKING B SIDES!!!!!! :angry:

:smug::D

I think Paradise, Charlie Brown, and ETIAW should be rotated with each other personally. I think Fix You and VLV are are kind of live set necessities though I could also see them going. Clocks for Politik would be a good substitution.

I'd also like to see UATW replace Oceans or Fly On every once in a while in future tours. I like how in the MX tour, they closed a lot of sets with Life is For Living...but I think it'd be good if they subbed that for Amsterdam or Swallowed in the Sea.

Songs to go:

Paradise

Clocks (Maybe)

ETIAW or Charlie Brown (We don't need both)

Ideal setlist (maybe not in this exact order):

Always In My Head

Politik

Yellow

Magic (Just because they have to)

Ghost Story

Lovers In Japan

Amsterdam

Ink

Midnight

Viva La Vida

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

O

Encore:

Life in Technicolor II

A Sky Full Of Stars

Songs that need to go:

Clocks

Paradise

Fix You

Viva la Vida

Songs that need to show up:

White Shadows

What If

Talk

Low

Swallowed in the Sea

X&Y

Lhuna

Death and All his Friends

Politik

Life in Technicolor ii

Rainy Day

Glass of Water

Shiver

Trouble

We Never Change

Songs that need to go:

Clocks

Paradise

Fix You

Viva la Vida

Songs that need to show up:

White Shadows

What If

Talk

Low

Swallowed in the Sea

X&Y

Lhuna

Death and All his Friends

Politik

Life in Technicolor ii

Rainy Day

Glass of Water

Shiver

Trouble

We Never Change

Would love to see Glass of Water come back, I loved it live.

I think a good game plan would be to play Ghost Stories in its entirety and include around 3-5 older songs.

Having said that, I would love to hear the following songs come back...

Politik

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Daylight

Square One

Speed Of Sound

Life In Technicolor ii

Cemeteries Of London

Lovers In Japan

Strawberry Swing

Major Minus

A good set list would be...

Always In My Head