✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to get the opinion of anyone outside of the US on this. Does your country do this self deprecating humor junk all the time? I feel like everyone in the US is just using the current spike in racial discussion to churn out lame content. SNL would have never made this video 5 years ago but now they can do it and get away with some really crappy jokes and stereotypes.

a wonderful letter to the editor by a volunteer!

link

As I have said it: there is something behind their songs and lyrics that makes me love Coldplay. It doesn't matter what kind of music they play, I'll follow them for who they are, a group of friends showing how important is to enjoy what you do and how being respectful let you be successful.

• Like 2

As I have said it: there is something behind their songs and lyrics that makes me love Coldplay. It doesn't matter what kind of music they play, I'll follow them for who they are, a group of friends showing how important is to enjoy what you do and how being respectful let you be successful.

I just love how you put this, Alisbe!

• Like 1

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Coldplay Takes Over After Super Bowl 50

2/19/2016 by Keith Caulfield

super-bowl-50-halftime-19-beyonce-bruno-mars-coldplay-2016-billboard-1000.jpg

Chris Martin of Coldplay performs onstage during the Pepsi Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show at Levi's Stadium on February 7, 2016 in Santa Clara, California.

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC

On the most recent Billboard 200 albums chart (dated Feb. 27), Future notched his third No. 1 (in less than seven months!) with the arrival of his Evol set. The album bowed atop the tally with 134,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Feb. 11, according to Nielsen Music.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

Coldplay Lands 13 Tracks on Hot Rock Songs Chart, Thanks to Super Bowl

Now, let’s take a closer look at some of the action on the latest Billboard 200 chart:

Coldplay, A Head Full of Dreams - No. 4 — Super Bowl 50 halftime headliners Coldplay zoom up the Billboard 200 chart with their latest album, A Head Full of Dreams. The set rises from No. 16 to No. 4 in the wake of the big game on Feb. 7. The album shifted 90,000 units in the week ending Feb. 11 (up 265 percent) and sold 71,000 copies (up 372 percent). Also helping matters: the album was deeply discounted in the Google Play store for just 99 cents during the tracking week, while it was also sale priced to $6.99 in the iTunes Store.

It’s no surprise, then, that the album vaults 12-2 on the Digital Albums chart with a 556 percent sales gain, selling 62,000 downloads for the week. (Thus, nearly all of the album’s sales for the week came from downloads, and likely many of those were driven by discounting.)

In total for the week, Coldplay’s catalog of albums shifted 147,000 units (up 222 percent) and sold 95,000 copies (up 355 percent).

Here's What the Super Bowl Halftime Show Sales Spike Looks Like

All seven of the band’s studio albums are on the Billboard 200. Following A Head Full of Dreams are their six previous sets, all re-entering. Ghost Stories at No. 65 (9,000 units; up 197 percent and 5,000 in sales; up 352 percent), A Rush of Blood To the Head at No. 73 (9,000 units; up 195 percent and 5,000 sales; up 312 percent), Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends at No. 75 (9,000 units; up 288 percent and 3,000 sales; up 455 percent), Mylo Xyloto at No. 76 (9,000 units; up 288 percent and 3,000 sales; up 473 percent), X&Y at No. 100 (7,000 units; up 221 percent and 3,000 sales; up 355 percent) and Parachutes at No. 113 (6,000 units; up 146 percent and 3,000 sales; up 217 percent).

In terms of digital songs sales, the band also profited strongly, as their catalog of tunes shifted 254,000 downloads – a gain of 174 percent. (Their best selling song of the week was “Adventure of a Lifetime,” which was performed during the halftime show and moved 74,000 copies – up 162 percent.)

Further, Coldplay’s music garnered 40 million on-demand streams for the week (both audio and video) for a gain of 71 percent.

Their guest stars during halftime, Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson and Beyonce, also posted big increases.

Coldplay Brings Beyonce, Bruno Mars & History to Color-Drenched Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show

Mars’ two studio albums rise up the Billboard 200, as Unorthodox Jukebox re-enters at No. 48 (12,000 units; up 234 percent and 8,000 sales up 637 percent). His first album,Doo-Wops & Hooligans, jumps 174-107 with 6,000 units (up 55 percent) and 2,000 in sales (up 66 percent).

“Uptown Funk!,” which Mars performed with Ronson (but is not on either of Mars’ albums), earned a 154 percent download sales gain (rising to 36,000) and an 8 percent lift in on-demand audio and video streams (to 6.8 million).

Ronson’s Uptown Special album, which contains “Uptown Funk!,” jumps back onto the chart at No. 112 with 6,000 units (up 93 percent) and 1,000 in sales (up 100 percent).

As for Beyonce, her new single “Formation,” released on Feb. 6 and performed live for the first time during halftime, debuts at No. 18 on Hot R&B Songs.

Earth, Wind & Fire, Greatest Hits - No. 40 — Maurice White, who died on Feb. 4, is remembered on the Billboard 200, as his band Earth, Wind & Fire surge up the list with Greatest Hits. It vaults 197-40 with 15,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Feb. 11, according to Nielsen Music. The group’s catalog of albums moved 31,000 units during the week (up 269 percent) and sold 20,000 (up 343 percent). Further, their songs generated 9.7 million on-demand streams (up 152 percent).

Josh Groban, Stages: Live - No. 149 — Groban’s new live album bows with 5,000 units all from pure album sales. It’s the companion set to his studio effort Stages, which debuted and peaked at No. 2 in 2015. Stages: Live is his fourth live effort to chart, following Awake Live (No. 8 in 2008), Live at the Greek (No. 24 in 2004) and Josh Groban In Concert (No. 34 in 2003).

— Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1- No. 199 — The oldies-filled album returns to the list at No. 199 with 4,000 units (up 13 percent) — all from pure album sales. The set surpassed 1.5 million in album sales in the week ending Feb. 4. Only two soundtracks released since 2010 have sold at least 1.5 million:Guardians of the Galaxy, which arrived in 2014 and Frozen (4.1 million sold, released in 2013).

billboard

• Like 1

it's just alarming to think how many nut-jobs with plenty of free time are there in the world..

Well, spending your day on analyzing Chris Martin's dance moves and maybe even getting paid for it is not that bad.

I don't know if it's useful though :D

• 4 weeks later...

Cool article on tech lighting stuff during the day

http://www.etnow.com/news/2016/3/clay-paky-b-eyes-and-sharpys-go-centre-stage-at-super-bowl-50-halftime-show

latest news headlines

Clay Paky B-EYEs and Sharpys Go Centre Stage at Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show

97236810_5121.jpg

208364592_5120.jpg

USA – Lighting designer Bob Barnhart, a veteran of Super Bowl Halftime Shows, chose Clay Paky A.leda B-EYE K20s and gold Sharpys to help light the milestone Super Bowl 50 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

Super Bowl Halftime Shows always come with challenges, and the daylight-into-sunset timing of this year’s entertainment made it: “Much more complex from a lighting standpoint,” Barnhart notes. “We had fewer fixtures than normally because of the ambient sun and the small portion of stadium lights we used.”

It was Barnhart’s lighting design goal “to bring the kaleidoscopic colour from the LED floor on the Coldplay main stage into the entire stadium. That was the centrepiece of the creative approach: to make the stadium part of the show. That’s why we did a colourful card stunt with the fans and placed Color Bloc IIs on the railings. With a daylight Halftime Show you see the fans and the stadium, and we wanted to bring the show into the stadium.”

He chose 36 B-EYE K20s for the pyro trusses/field carts upstage on the Coldplay stage, nine fixtures were placed on each of the four carts. “You could see all the B-EYEs close up; they looked like floor lights,” he says. “So we were able to draw up the video floor in close ups looking head-to-toe at Chris Martin. The B-EYEs made the colour palette on the floor appear in the close ups.”

Clay Paky B-EYEs made their Super Bowl debut when Bruno Mars headlined the Halftime Show two years ago, notes lighting director David Grill. “They’re great! They give you a lot of options: large faces, beams, movement, effects. The scale of the B-EYEs, with their large faces, gives mass quantities of colour to individual pixels.”

He also likes the B-EYEs’ low power consumption. “You can plug everything into one multi-cable,” says Grill. “You don’t need piles of cables and piles of power. That’s really useful when you have fast set ups.”

Barnhart also placed six gold Sharpys on the Bruno Mars stage to add more movement to the lighting design there. The fixtures’ gold finish saluted the Golden Anniversary of the Super Bowl and “fit with Bruno’s warm, incandescent look,” says Grill.

“It’s hard to get big beams in daylight,” Barnhart notes, “so we tried to limit our use of profile-type fixtures. But we used the Sharpys to add some dynamics” to Mars’s stage.

PRG provided the Clay Paky fixtures.

A.C.T Lighting is the exclusive North American distributor for Clay Paky.

Francesco Romagnoli, Clay Paky area manager for North and Latin America, added: “It’s an honour to have been involved in so many Super Bowls, one of the highest profile television events in the world. Mr. Barnhart and Mr. Grill always do great work with our fixtures.”

www.claypaky.it

21st March 2016

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Somewhat surprisingly, when Chris Martin first called Mars to ask if he'd perform with Coldplay at the 2016 halftime, he passed. "I told him I don't think so," Mars says. "I just felt like I'd just done it." Martin persisted, asking Mars to swing by the Malibu studio where he was working. "So I drove out there and he pitched it," Mars says. "'You and Beyoncé, doing "Uptown Funk" – I want to be responsible for giving that gift to the world.' That's what he said, in his sweet, charming, English way."

Mars was still skeptical. "You've got to be careful with those [multi-artist] performances," he says. "They do it a lot on award shows, where you've got so many cameos but nothing solid." He told Martin to talk to Beyoncé and see what she thought. Martin's response: "'Let's talk to her right now!'" He took out his phone and shot a video of himself and Mars, then texted it to Beyoncé. To Mars' surprise, she was in.

Mars says he got an education watching Beyoncé prepare. "She's not fucking joking around," he says. "She's going to get onstage and show everybody why she's the best every single time. She's got that monster in her." But the memory that stands out is more relatable. "Me and Beyoncé were both working on our diets, stressing out," he says. "Then the day before, we're watching playback backstage, and she's eating a bag of Cheetos. I'm like, 'That's what you're doing?'"

He mimes Beyoncé popping a Cheeto in her mouth. "She's like, 'There's nothing more we can do these last two days. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. So I'm gonna enjoy this bag of Cheetos.'"

x

the more i read about the super bowl performance, the more i'm convinced coldplay made one of the biggest mistakes in their band life with that performance, the way it was done. the biggest event they didn't live up to the expectations, within their abilities.

• Like 2