✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

First of all what's the hell with Chris voice? It's completely out of tune, hard breath, jeez, why this chap Mars and Beyonce sounds clearly and loud? Perhaps phonogram? But they stole the show.

Secondly why songs was cutted just like preview in itunes? Without transitions, just one accords from one part of the song then another part of the song, awful. It would be better just stick to three full songs - and all crowd would sing along the boys.

Third, Coldplay doesn't belong to this kind of show. Bruno Mars and Beyonce - yes, they fit perfectly, but not Chris Martin. Coldplay doesn't need this couple sloppy minutes of ads, they are bigger then this. At least they could do it alone.

I hope tour gigs would be miles better, especially in terms of sound.

I did not notice anything particularly bad with Chris voice, but I´d say that firstly Chris doesn't move around he HOPS around (and jumps pretty high too lol) and that has no doubt an impact on how much air you get in your lungs hehe, while Beyonce and Bruno dance but their moves are relatively short and quick (also they are younger LOL). I agree they might have been using other equipment as well.

The cutting songs is common at the Super Bowl. I saw it with a lot of other shows. Some transitions were quite nice like clocks/fix you, some a bit more jarring, but I think the songs still shined through imo.

And Coldplay could not do this alone. It was pretty clear from the beginning that they were "told" to invite other guests because it was the 50th anniversary and they wanted to celebrate other artists as well...so they really had no choice there. :/

No comparison on sound during the Super Bowl vs sound during the gig. In the Super Bowl they need to set it all up in a few minutes, its a logistic nightmare, so its hard to get it all right. In the proper gigs, its a very well oiled machine :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. If they download HFTW first they will realize what a real melody is and not dowload Formation anymore :D

*LOL* See? They had a chance to "train" these people´s ears to what a melody is and instead...."cursed missed opportunities" :)

• Like 1

The cutting songs is common at the Super Bowl. I saw it with a lot of other shows. Some transitions were quite nice like clocks/fix you, some a bit more jarring, but I think the songs still shined through imo.

Just watched on youtube U2 and McCartney SB show - both spectacular 13 minutes gigs, both performed in authentic style they used too (imagine Paul and Bruno Mars together). No mashups, full songs. No one in a harry. Classic performances.

Don't get why Chris and guys deliberately pretending to be something else, completely out of tune with those B&B chaps.

These footage made Coldplay gig even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6sUdma57I

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6sUdma57I

• Like 1

Just watched on youtube U2 and McCartney SB show - both spectacular 13 minutes gigs, both performed in authentic style they used too (imagine Paul and Bruno Mars together). No mashups, full songs. No one in a harry. Classic performances.

Don't get why Chris and guys deliberately pretending to be something else, completely out of tune with those B&B chaps.

These footage made Coldplay gig even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6sUdma57I

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6sUdma57I

Thanks for posting the videos! :) I watched a few Super Bowl shows, but not these two (saw Bruce Springsteen though). There is a difference there yes. I read this on an article on some british newspaper I think. They explained how the Super Bowl always had "flashy" artists with big pop mashups shows up until Janet Jackson, then there was the "scandal" about her performance and so they decided to tone it down for a while and thats when all these other non-pop artists got invited like Paul, U2,etc. Then in later years they picked up the "pop" style again.

So I guess that explains why some Super Bowl shows are so different? I agree with you though that Coldplay do not fit in in that "style" of show. I wish they had done completely their own thing and had more time. This certainly proves that Coldplay is not pop act, even though they incorporate some elements in their music.

By the way my co-watchers last night kindly pointed out to me after the show that "his white pullover didn't fit with Beyonces and Brunos costumes, that was so awkward"

Can we get any more superficial, please ?

I did not notice the pullover I must admit ! haha But I confess that when Chris sang the Uptown Funk for a a minute or so with the other two, him in the middle there...he looked like a proper fish out of water and it wasnt his clothes...he just did not fit in imo.

However when they all sang Up&Up it was more cohesive, so I guess there is something to Chris not "having it" when he tries to do some things like those. That was my impression anyway, that he himself was not too comfortable with it either, though he certainly wanted to. I just cant generally imagine ever Chris singing something like "girls saying hallelujah uptown funk gonna give it to you" keeping a straight face, can you imagine that? LOL Its just not him....

Chris singing something like "girls saying hallelujah uptown funk gonna give it to you"

Chris really did not look too comfortable in this, but then also the other two kept in the front close to the camera and he was kinda the last one trailing behind...he should have been in front, he was the headliner !

Been stalking for a while, longtime fan and experiencing coldplay for the 1st time this july.

I thought the show was a huge fucking mess! Coldplay is the best live act in the world and this was not up to their standards. They got an hour worth of globally well-known stadium anthems and half of the tiny 12min was bey and bruno. Didnt see them do a coldplay song during their sets. Too soon to see them back on the superbowl stage anyway. These are just some of thoughts when i _first_ saw it^

However, watched it a few times here n there today and warmed up to it a little. The fact that the band was all live was just awesome! The colours and the theme were definitely there and looked beautiful. That jamming session with just the guys round the drums at one point... Mm.

Current verdict: Im starting to like it all a lot more. They couldve had the best show but it was great nonetheless.

just one tiny (personal) nitpick: where the fuck was Madonnas show from that montage? Best halftime -show of all time! Lmao

• Like 1

Chris really did not look too comfortable in this, but then also the other two kept in the front close to the camera and he was kinda the last one trailing behind...he should have been in front, he was the headliner !

Chris could never do that though. He doesn't have that aggressive "look at me" attitude a lot of these performers put up in pop. (and thank God for that!). A good confident performer is nice to watch, but I personally don't see whats entertaining or necessary in them being that "arrogant", like "look at me Im the best" or "I slay better than anyone else" etc....Beyonce actually puts it on "forcefully" either because she thinks its expected of her or because she thinks it makes a great performance I don't know, but if you see her in interviews she´s actually quite a sweet down to earth woman.

And you know what? This is probably precisely why Coldplay have always been ridiculed or disliked by some, because they don't fit this mold. I say good riddance for those who don't like them and may Coldplay always continue to be this way! :)

• Like 3

Chris could never do that though. He doesn't have that aggressive "look at me" attitude a lot of these performers put up in pop.

Need not be aggressive. From what I remember their very first video and many other good videos mainly featured him staring into the camera and walking towards it - on a beach, on the streets of London, hell even after a car accident ;)

Need not be aggressive. From what I remember their very first video and many other good videos mainly featured him staring into the camera and walking towards it - on a beach, on the streets of London, hell even after a car accident ;)

Of course but Im speaking in the context of him between Beyonce and Bruno Mars. Damn between those two you´d better be extra aggressive and "arrogant"t if you want your face to be closer to the camera, or you won't have a chance! And indeed he didnt have a chance, while the other two plastered their faces to the camera *LOOOL*

Did anyone notice that.....

1. the Yellow snippet was played to the sounds that the AHFOD album begins with ?

2. not only had Chris Apple and Moses written on his trousers, but Guy had Nico written on his guitar ?

3. that Apocalypse or whatever movie commercial after the halftime featured the slowly sung words (dunno by whom) "Bones sinking like stones, all that we fought for...We live in a beautiful world"

• Like 2

I really love Left Shark (who doesn't ? He is so cute and adorable) but I hate those memes and GIFs where Chris in the middle of Bey and BM is replaced by Left Shark !

They showed that picture on the news and were like oh wow all of these tweets are so nice. But you can see the comment under the picture was "How the halftime show should have been." Makes me mad

Just found this:

Tweets

1.3M: Beyoncé

774K: Coldplay

341K: Bruno

The top-tweeted songs were “Formation,” “Uptown Funk,” “Paradise” and “Viva la Vida.”

Beyoncé fans tweeted these words the most: “tour, queen, formation, waiting, life, slay.”

Coldplay-related tweets were filled with “love, iconic, compared, good.”

And Mars’ references included “dance, good, god, battle, Mark Ronson.”

On Facebook, Coldplay received the most interactions (posts, comments and likes) with 6 million people completing 9.3 million interactions, compared to 8.8 million Beyoncé interactions from 5.2 million people and 5.3 million Mars interactions from 3.8 million people.

Coldplay has 11 songs charting with ”Adventure of a Lifetime” at No. 2, “Viva la Vida” at 8, “Paradise” at 10, “A Sky Full of Stars” at 26, “Fix You” at 30, “Hymm for the Weekend” at 33, “Clocks” at 38, “Yellow” at 50, “The Scientist” at 87, “Up&Up” at 156, and “Speed of Sound” at 172. Meanwhile, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk” soared to No. 16, while Mars’ “Locked Out of Heaven” is locked at 161. Six Beyoncé songs are charting with “Run the World (Girls)” at 48, “Love On Top” at 134, “Crazy In Love” at 138, “Partition” at 168, “Halo” at 192, and “7/11″ at 194.

• Like 2

Did anyone notice that.....

1. the Yellow snippet was played to the sounds that the AHFOD album begins with ?

2. not only had Chris Apple and Moses written on his trousers, but Guy had Nico written on his guitar ?

3. that Apocalypse or whatever movie commercial after the halftime featured the slowly sung words (dunno by whom) "Bones sinking like stones, all that we fought for...We live in a beautiful world"

Independence Day 2? Didn't notice that but will check it out.

Edit: That commercial had the national anthem played. I'll check my recording of the game.

Ah, X-Men: Apocalypse. The cover is by Clarity, and here's the full version of it: