✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Then what? If that's what they want, let them do it, get over it and move on.

I have, I'm not going to see them live, haven't bought the album and don't consider myself a fan anymore. I still have the right to say one of my favourite band has sold out. I followed them on tour 2000-2010, even met Chris and considered myself a massive fan. I feel very let down.

• Like 1

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, I'm not going to see them live, haven't bought the album and don't consider myself a fan anymore. I still have the right to say one of my favourite band has sold out. I followed them on tour 2000-2010, even met Chris and considered myself a massive fan. I feel very let down.

Good for you. You don't have to be a fan if you don't like them anymore.

Now I have one question: why are you still here?

Appease everyone? Please, that is so not what they're going for. They have said time and time again how this is the album where they were truly free and didn't care about what anyone else thinks. Also, this album is arguably one of their most polarizing ones to date. If they really wanted to appease everyone they would just pull of another AROBTTH or Viva.

It's mass market pop cheese and syrup, a full frontal assault on the charts with star guests, as I said gimmicks and star production. Dressed up in multicolored suits looking like Nickelodeon presenters. They couldn't be more commercial and trying to win young fans if they tried.

It's mass market pop cheese and syrup, a full frontal assault on the charts with star guests, as I said gimmicks and star production. Dressed up in multicolored suits looking like Nickelodeon presenters. They couldn't be more commercial and trying to win young fans if they tried.

So you'd rather have them dressed up in black or grey clothes even if it goes against the theme of the album just because it looks like they're selling out?

So you'd rather have them dressed up in black or grey clothes even if it goes against the theme of the album just because it looks like they're selling out?

The album barely has a theme! Why dress up like kids TV presenters? It's gauling and takes away from what you're there for, the music (unless of course you're trying to target it at a certain demographic) ! Chris doesn't need all the sugary crap, he's a great songwriter at heart if he could find his way through the glossy rubbish.

Because I want to be, why are you in a thread that dislikes album?

I'm pretty sure being active on a fan forum of a band you don't even like and being on a thread directly related to my favourite band (which just happens to be in a fan forum of that exact band) are completely different things.

I'm not telling you to leave, I'm genuinly curious why you would like to be here when you clearly lost all interest and respect for the band and the work that they put out.

The album barely has a theme! Why dress up like kids TV presenters? It's gauling and takes away from what you're there for, the music! Chris doesn't need all the sugary crap, he's a great songwriter at heart if he could find his way through the glossy rubbish.

Barely has a theme? Now you're just making this stuff up on the spot.

Here are the themes: Joy, Happiness, Gratefulness, Togetherness, Embrace of the past, Looking at the bright side, and general colorfulness.

Even if it weren't for the theme, you don't think bright clothes fit their current style of music?

• Like 3

I have.

I strongly believe that getting over something and moving on doesn't include complaining about crap and putting salt into something that many people do enjoy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think there's a truth somewhere behind what you're saying, and the feeling of being let down is sad and all, but you seem to take it like an asshat.

If you'd have some respect left for the bad you once loved, you would let them do there thing. However you'd feel about it

Also, frankly,

(Just had to force that song in there)
  • Like 3

I strongly believe that getting over something and moving on doesn't include complaining about crap and putting salt into something that many people do enjoy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think there's a truth somewhere behind what you're saying, and the feeling of being let down is sad and all, but you seem to take it like an asshat.

If you'd have some respect left for the bad you once loved, you would let them do there thing. However you'd feel about it

Also, frankly,

(Just had to force that song in there)

How is explaining how something isn't good putting salt into other fans who think it Is? B35 explains very, very well where he/she thinks they've gone wrong.

They seem like a good poster I think.

yeah no the salt thing was more of a general thing which seems to be in the air

and I generally agree with him, Ive lost most of my interest in the band over the past few years, but it's not like they made a mistake with this album. If this is the album the band wanted to make, and they seem to be happy with it, then who are we to tell them they're wrong? I mean if there are things you don't like and you want to discuss them with likeminded peope, sure, I like that even, as long as we're aware they're just our opinions

• Like 3

If LP7 was just a huge cash grab, they would have released it next spring for HFTW to be the big summer song, they definitely would not have released it in December and they certainly would not have released it two weeks after Adele's record dropped.

I'm definitely an ups and downs guy like Chris so I totally feel this record's songs, I really like the melancholy in songs like Everglow and Fun but also dig the fun and upbeat tracks like Birds and AHFOD. I prefer this honest take on their current lifes to Adele's hypocrisy (I don't know if I spelled that right, sorry) because she's always saying how happy she is now and how hard it was to write the new record's sad songs because she's not miserable anymore, I'd rather they write happy songs if they are happy and not a fake Parachutes 2.0 just to please Oldplayers.

When I became a Coldplay fan, I was an angsty 15 year old, 15 years have passed and they're still my favorite band, their songs still speak to me and they still give me goosebumps like no other band can. I wish every Coldplayer, old and new, could feel this way about AHFOD.

• Like 4

If LP7 was just a huge cash grab, they would have released it next spring for HFTW to be the big summer song, they definitely would not have released it in December and they certainly would not have released it two weeks after Adele's record dropped.

I'm definitely an ups and downs guy like Chris so I totally feel this record's songs, I really like the melancholy in songs like Everglow and Fun but also dig the fun and upbeat tracks like Birds and AHFOD. I prefer this honest take on their current lifes to Adele's hypocrisy (I don't know if I spelled that right, sorry) because she's always saying how happy she is now and how hard it was to write the new record's sad songs because she's not miserable anymore, I'd rather they write happy songs if they are happy and not a fake Parachutes 2.0 just to please Oldplayers.

When I became a Coldplay fan, I was an angsty 15 year old, 15 years have passed and they're still my favorite band, their songs still speak to me and they still give me goosebumps like no other band can. I wish every Coldplayer, old and new, could feel this way about AHFOD.

They released it just before Christmas, it's the ultimate cash grab selling time!!!! Well known in the music industry as a prime release time. That and March.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Barely has a theme? Now you're just making this stuff up on the spot.

Here are the themes: Joy, Happiness, Gratefulness, Togetherness, Embrace of the past, Looking at the bright side, and general colorfulness.

Even if it weren't for the theme, you don't think bright clothes fit their current style of music?

Talk about generic themes...

They released it just before Christmas, it's the ultimate cash grab selling time!!!! Well known in the music industry as a prime release time. That and March.

Yeah but it isnt a Christmasy album right? At least i dont see it that way, I mean, HFTW isn't exactly a Christmas tune..

Yeah but it isnt a Christmasy album right? At least i dont see it that way, I mean, HFTW isn't exactly a Christmas tune..

Doesn't matter, it's still a prime time for album sales, people will buy it as a gift. It's a well known time for an album release to sell. Why dyou think Adeles released so close to Christmas also?

Talk about generic themes...

How is sadness, loss, melancholy, cynicism any less generic?

Just because you connect to their older themes more personally, doesn't make it any less generic than joy, happiness, gratefulness... If you have a look back through the history of recorded music (with lyrics), it is actually less common to write about the positive themes in a meaningful way... I reckon it is harder and more difficult.

Rock has traditionally been about protest, disillusionment, loss of innocence - one could call all of that generic.

I'm no longer that connected to the world of music as a whole so may well have missed this, but can anyone name me good recent albums on the themes of joy, happiness and gratefulness? By anyone - the less obscure, the better?

• Like 3

It's really not better than X&Y, it's not even better than MX. Some of the songs are inexcusable on AHFOD, the same couldn't be said for MX or X&Y. AHFOD is just a terrible album from songwriting to production.

Swallowed in the sea and the hardest part are horrible

I don't like hftw xmts but the rest of the album is good. Could be better if they get their butts out of LA but it Still is Coldplay and they have put their heart in the album. I can feel it when listening to it. I didn't feel that with x&y

Could be better if they get their butts out of LA but it Still is Coldplay and they have put their heart in the album.

I dont know man...I´ve been here a month and half and I am pretty much ready to move at the very least for the sun haha :)

Actually our local band Saybia in Denmark have recorded for the first time in LA and their album is being hailed as a return to form, so not sure where the studio is located has much to do with the quality of the music though personally I think their favourite studio must always be the London one :)

Guest howyousawtheworld
I don't like hftw xmts but the rest of the album is good. Could be better if they get their butts out of LA but it Still is Coldplay and they have put their heart in the album. I can feel it when listening to it. I didn't feel that with x&y

Don't know what it is about LA that attracts so many established artists there. Noel Gallagher and Oasis have recorded plenty there (and bang average it was as well) Even the lead singer of The Charlatans used to live there so it even attracts the most unlikely of music stars.

Clearly the beautiful sunshine is an appeal but I would have thought New York to be a far more inspirational and eclectic recording culture. North London is a fine location for Coldplay but it would be nice to see them move around if they record another album (which after this one I don't know if I want that) ala U2 and Bowie in Berlin. That city alone produced both artists ultimate career highs.

Don't know what it is about LA that attracts so many established artists there.

Clearly the beautiful sunshine is an appeal but I would have thought New York to be a far more inspirational and eclectic recording culture. North London is a fine location for Coldplay but it would be nice to see them move around if they record another album (which after this one I don't know if I want that) ala U2 and Bowie in Berlin. That city alone produced both artists ultimate career highs.

My impression as a creative music person but also in general was that New York gives you this major boost of energy, like in that city you feel any project you might have you can get it done and put it all the hours you need. It kinda made me feel like a Duracell bunny haha Los Angeles to me has a much more relaxed feel, easy going, which I must admit aids creativity in that it gets you in that "dreamy" state of mind so conducive of songs and such. So I think they are both great cities for a project, but in different ways.

On the practical side I also think LA must have a lot of good studios, producers and such, not sure how that compares to NY though.

We actually have a an artist in Denmark who is quite alternative and unique and she not only records but lives in Berlin. I kinda associate that city with a certain type of artists, probably not suitable for everyone

Guest howyousawtheworld
My impression as a creative music person but also in general was that New York gives you this major boost of energy, like in that city you feel any project you might have you can get it done and put it all the hours you need. It kinda made me feel like a Duracell bunny haha Los Angeles to me has a much more relaxed feel, easy going, which I must admit aids creativity in that it gets you in that "dreamy" state of mind so conducive of songs and such. So I think they are both great cities for a project, but in different ways.

On the practical side I also think LA must have a lot of good studios, producers and such, not sure how that compares to NY though.

We actually have a an artist in Denmark who is quite alternative and unique and she not only records but lives in Berlin. I kinda associate that city with a certain type of artists, probably not suitable for everyone

Environment is important to the sound and quality of a song. I can think of Sigur Ros as a defining act who have made a career out of their Icelandic connections and translating it to music.

I think the greatest pieces of music are those pieces which translate a landscape to music. It's why I love Sigur Ros . It's why I think The Unforgettable Fire by U2 is possibly my favourite album by them. A Sort of Homecoming is, for me, the soundtrack of a journey through a Celtic rural region that goes so well with Irish and Scottish landscape. The fact they recorded a lot of that album in Slane Castle shows it's powerful influences.

It's something I wish Coldplay could do and maybe write and record an album in a totally different environment. They recorded and experimented in a variety of different environments for a short while at the start of VLV recording processes and I think it showed with it's eclectic nature. I think it's also important for creative impulses to get out of your comfort zone and Eno got that out of them much in the same way he got it out of U2.