✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the point being, whatever chris martin does, people will either love everything he does, or hate him for everything he does... im sure using words like "shit" is nastier than that ;)

That's just nonsense. I would've said Coldplay up to MX could have to gone on to U2s musical heights. Since then they've fallen so badly.They might make another amazing album at some point but their output at the moment is shockingly bad. Covering up poor music with production and video gimmicks is exactly what they're doing.

Also, the fact the U2s Pop album isn't actually pop isn't opinion, it's fact. Go and listen to it again, there are dance production elements to it but it's not at Coldplays current levels of cheesy pop output. U2s Pop album is actually quite heavy.

• Like 1

That's just nonsense. I would've said Coldplay up to MX could have to gone on to U2s musical heights. Since then they've fallen so badly.They might make another amazing album at some point but their output at the moment is shockingly bad. Covering up poor music with production and video gimmicks is exactly what they're doing.

Also, the fact the U2s Pop album isn't actually pop isn't opinion, it's fact. Go and listen to it again, there are dance production elements to it but it's not at Coldplays current levels of cheesy pop output. U2s Pop album is actually quite heavy.

Well, you people seem to be experts in the art of music. I can't compete with that. I have a mind of a ten year old anyway lol. If you say its a fact then okay. I cant argue with a fact. Although I would like to point out, if you want to see a cheesy pop output, watch the music video for discotheque ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

Well, you people seem to be experts in the art of music. I can't compete with that. I have a mind of a ten year old anyway lol. If you say its a fact then okay. I cant argue with a fact. Although I would like to point out, if you want to see a cheesy pop output, watch the music video for discotheque ;) ;) ;)

You're 10?! Fair enough, I thought you were in your 20s or something.

Discotheque is a dance type song, it's probably U2s most comparable song to what Coldplay are churning out these days and probably not U2s finest moment but it's more rock influenced dance than cheesy HFTW, XMTS, AD, Fun etc etc.

Someone above said there are about 3 dance type songs on Pop, the rest of the album is heavy and not at all cheesy pop, which most of AHFOD is. Mofo from Pop for example is more Chemical Brothers like and so is Miami, the Chemical Brothers were never mainstream cheesy pop, more niche dance.

Another example of this would be Noel Gallaghers collaborations with the Chemical Brothers, Setting Sun and Let Forever Be, heavy dance type songs with rock influences, a million miles from AHFOD.

You're 10?! Fair enough, I thought you were in your 20s or something.

Discotheque is a dance type song, it's probably U2s most comparable song to what Coldplay are churning out these days and probably not U2s finest moment but it's more rock influenced dance than cheesy HFTW, XMTS, AD, Fun etc etc.

Someone above said there are about 3 dance type songs on Pop, the rest of the album is heavy and not at all cheesy pop, which most of AHFOD is. Mofo from Pop for example is more Chemical Brothers like and so is Miami, the Chemical Brothers were never mainstream cheesy pop, more niche dance.

Another example of this would be Noel Gallaghers collaborations with the Chemical Brothers, Setting Sun and Let Forever Be, heavy dance type songs with rock influences, a million miles from AHFOD.

im turning 17 this february

• Like 1

Guest howyousawtheworld

No way is Pop by U2 mainstream and it's probably as far away as one could get from AHFOD. I'm actually stunned that anyone would think the production values are mainstream or the structure of the songs are mainstream.

Just because it's called Pop doesn't mean it's music is mainstream pop. The whole album is a critique on pop and advertising culture hence the name and the outrageous Popmart tour complete with the big McDonalds like arch. As well as that there are some real personal and political moments like Wake Up Dead Man and Please.

I'd go as far to say it's their most non mainstream record. It restrains itself from soaring choruses and is very introspective and cynical. Some will say it was U2's last relevant record. They've had their moments after Pop but it's fair to say they ended their creative turns with Pop. And they earned the right to do that. 90s U2 was probably the best U2 era of them all and Pop possibly their most underrated album. It's albums like Pop that make you realise just how unambitious Coldplay are.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Some people like the music more because of the people behind it... If you want the best music, why the hell are you here? Go listen to Radiohead, or Muse, or even Oasis (if they're still around)... Even U2 are probably more credible nowadays (I'm not saying that the people behind these bands are not good people, just that usually they are considered technically more brilliant). They don't put out "crap" like Coldplay.

I'm not saying I'll accept anything that Coldplay put out, what I am saying however is that Coldplay have always challenged perceptions... previously softly and quietly, but with this album, they are just putting it out there and being more obvious about it than ever before... How about trying to listen to what they are trying to say / express with the album and be respectful if one doesn't connect with the material, rather than just slagging them off... It's not Coldplay's fault that fans have jaded and cynical opinions - fans who think this band have lost it / sold out are the ones with the problem, not the band! The band themselves have expressed their own views on what they are doing / trying to achieve with this album, and very sincerely at that - it'd be very high and mighty of anyone to actually dispute them on those intentions - you can of course (it's all a matter of opinion), but you will not win the "fact" debate...

And if "fans" won't believe what the band is telling them, why the hell are they still "fans"? The more accurate term would be bitter, disenfranchised "ex-fans", because technically this person is so disconnected to them that he/she won't even take what the band are saying at face value anymore... One might well like their older music (have been a fan), but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that they are still a fan if they hate their new music so much - what is there left to love except a shadow of the band's old selves if one can't love / at least see a glimmer of hope in their new selves?

Why am I here? Because they were a band once capable of producing great music. AROBTTH and VLV are two of the very best albums of the 00s.

Also I should 'try and listen to what they have to say'.

Ohh I've heard what they have to say. 'My heart goes bo boom boom boom' and 'I'm feeling drunk and high, so high'...well it's hardly Shakespeare is it?

Coldplay aren't a football team. You don't support them 'through thick and thin'. You judge them on merit and many of us have judged that they are failures. As I said earlier, many on here merely 'like' their music because they 'like' the band. Kind of like One Direction or Justin Bieber fans.

No way is Pop by U2 mainstream and it's probably as far away as one could get from AHFOD. I'm actually stunned that anyone would think the production values are mainstream or the structure of the songs are mainstream.

Just because it's called Pop doesn't mean it's music is mainstream pop. The whole album is a critique on pop and advertising culture hence the name and the outrageous Popmart tour complete with the big McDonalds like arch. As well as that there are some real personal and political moments like Wake Up Dead Man and Please.

I'd go as far to say it's their most non mainstream record. It restrains itself from soaring choruses and is very introspective and cynical. Some will say it was U2's last relevant record. They've had their moments after Pop but it's fair to say they ended their creative turns with Pop. And they earned the right to do that. 90s U2 was probably the best U2 era of them all and Pop possibly their most underrated album. It's albums like Pop that make you realise just how unambitious Coldplay are.

Just as an aside, U2 are by far the best live band in the world. Noone even comes close to them. I've seen them 8 times since 1992 and every time you're completely blown away. Coldplay (until the MX tour) for me were a distant second best live band in the world.

Why am I here? Because they were a band once capable of producing great music. AROBTTH and VLV are two of the very best albums of the 00s.

Also I should 'try and listen to what they have to say'.

Ohh I've heard what they have to say. 'My heart goes bo boom boom boom' and 'I'm feeling drunk and high, so high'...well it's hardly Shakespeare is it?

Coldplay aren't a football team. You don't support them 'through thick and thin'. You judge them on merit and many of us have judged that they are failures. As I said earlier, many on here merely 'like' their music because they 'like' the band. Kind of like One Direction or Justin Bieber fans.

Lol Coldplay isn't a failure.

I try to avoid arguing with keyboard warriors, especially those who showcase the mental capacity and maturity of a 10 year old.

Oh dear, mental capacity of a ten year old, as opposed to what, mental capacity of a 20 or 30 year old? Last I checked, there were no restrictions on mental capacity on this forum... Don't forget, we were all young once anyway. As for being juvenile, I thought one of the hallmarks of maturity was the ability to tolerate and moderate views anyway, and not see everything as purely black and white... (i.e. the loss of idealism to some degree), so on that basis, where does that put your mental capacity?

• Like 1

Obviously... Has anyone actually tried to pass these off as lyrical genius content-wise?

However I will point out that these:

1) fit the musical style

2) express the sentiment of the music at that point of the song... Yep it's blatant and obvious, but sorry bud, that is the type of song and what they've decided to do for parts of this album

3) it's not Shakespeare but hey, they're not insulting/ offensive to anybody- one describes a heart beating, and another one is about being drunk and on life and high on love... Did you miss the message?

So sorry, particularly with CM, you're never going to get a whole album of lyrical gems, but what's the lambasting of these particular lyrics about... It's like picking the mundane bits and saying they are mundane / worst things over, and over

• Like 5

Obviously... Has anyone actually tried to pass these off as lyrical genius content-wise?

1) fit the musical style

2) express the sentiment of the music at that point of the song... Yep it's blatant and obvious, but sorry bud, that is the type of song and what they've decided to do for parts of this album

3) it's not Shakespeare but hey, they're not insulting/ offensive to anybody- one describes a heart beating, and another one is about being drunk and on life and high on love... Did you miss the message?

So sorry, particularly with CM, you're never going to get a whole album of lyrical gems, but what's the lambasting of these particular lyrics about... It's like picking the mundane bits and saying they are mundane / worst things over, and over

The lyrics are embarrassing for CM. I can't think what possessed him to think they're acceptable,same with the "drunk and high" lyrics and the "Turn Your Magic On". A heck of a lot of the album has cringe worthy lyrics which make it difficult to listen to and I can generally gloss over the lyrics if the music is good but not on AHFOD.

• Like 2

Guest howyousawtheworld

1) fit the musical style

Under absolutely no circumstances are lyrics like 'feeling drunk and high' and 'bo boom boom boom' acceptable. You shouldn't even be writing that shit down let alone singing it. What's even more cringe inducing is that Chris Martin actually admitted he had 'worked on his lyrics' on this album. I'm sorry but he's just insulting the intelligence of Coldplay fans right there. Truly embarrassing.

I think everyone should accept different opinions. That's all! Both the one and the other side here in this thread should not insult each other and impress the one and only possible opinion on each other. I can't understand so much hate. Its music! And mostly very wonderful music. From Parachutes to AHFOD.

I'm a fan since i heard in my place in 2002 and sometimes i was confused about the different sound of the new albums. But i hear coldplay in almost every song - and after a while i liked the way which they went (since 2002). But again, this is my personal opinion. But dont try to persuade me because your opinion is that the actual way is a "insult for all coldplay fans" - thats childish.

• Like 4