✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Environment is important to the sound and quality of a song. I can think of Sigur Ros as a defining act who have made a career out of their Icelandic connections and translating it to music... It's something I wish Coldplay could do and maybe write and record an album in a totally different environment. They recorded and experimented in a variety of different environments for a short while at the start of VLV recording processes and I think it showed with it's eclectic nature. I think it's also important for creative impulses to get out of your comfort zone and Eno got that out of them much in the same way he got it out of U2.

I agree with you that it would be great if they could write music that was heavily connected / influenced by the land or place they were in. Unfortunately for this idea, I get the feeling that not all the band members have particularly strong roots to where they come from or just for places in general.

i genuinely think that if ever chris martin finds a cure for cancer, there are people on here that would still hate him and spew hate on him.

That has to be one of the nastiest comments I've read on Coldplaying. I know it may be very difficult for you, but when posting please try to avoid reactionary behavior fueled by emotions.

I already love the man and I'm sure if he came up with a cure for something I've felt very closely I would appreciate him even more. The same would apply for everyone else.

Really? Did you quote the wrong quote or something? The only one being disrespectful here is [uSER=37087]@howyousawtheworld[/uSER].

This guy has a valid arguing point here.

I try to avoid arguing with keyboard warriors, especially those who showcase the mental capacity and maturity of a 10 year old.

Avoid talking to [uSER=37087]@howyousawtheworld[/uSER] then. @ihaveabono is making valid arguments.

None of the above, he just doesn't write good music anymore. That's all.

Let me rephrase that: he doesn't write Oldplay-level music anymore. Ex: The Scientist, Amsterdam, Viva la Vida, etc.

He still writes great music. But the magic from the Oldplay era seems to have been lost. :(

That's just nonsense. I would've said Coldplay up to MX could have to gone on to U2s musical heights. Since then they've fallen so badly.They might make another amazing album at some point but their output at the moment is shockingly bad. Covering up poor music with production and video gimmicks is exactly what they're doing.

Also, the fact the U2s Pop album isn't actually pop isn't opinion, it's fact. Go and listen to it again, there are dance production elements to it but it's not at Coldplays current levels of cheesy pop output. U2s Pop album is actually quite heavy.

It's not shockingly bad. It's shockingly unfortunate that they can't do as good as AROBTTH again but it's still good music.

Cheesy pop? It must have been a looooooooong time since you listened to the radio. There's not one track from AHFOD that's "cheesy pop" (except Hymn For The Weekend). Sure, there's quite a bit of cheese in Ghost Stories (and I even like that album, I just have to look past it) but your definition of "cheesy" must be reaaaaaaaally strict.

You're 10?! Fair enough, I thought you were in your 20s or something.

Discotheque is a dance type song, it's probably U2s most comparable song to what Coldplay are churning out these days and probably not U2s finest moment but it's more rock influenced dance than cheesy HFTW, XMTS, AD, Fun etc etc.

Someone above said there are about 3 dance type songs on Pop, the rest of the album is heavy and not at all cheesy pop, which most of AHFOD is. Mofo from Pop for example is more Chemical Brothers like and so is Miami, the Chemical Brothers were never mainstream cheesy pop, more niche dance.

Another example of this would be Noel Gallaghers collaborations with the Chemical Brothers, Setting Sun and Let Forever Be, heavy dance type songs with rock influences, a million miles from AHFOD.

You need to fix up your ears. HFTW, XMTS, you're right. AD is a bit cheesy. Fun, not really.

It's sad that people are hating on Coldplay just because it's new content.

I guarantee you AD would have been a classic if it were released in the AROBTTH era or something.

Most of AHFOD is cheesy pop? OMG. FIX YOU EARS. And listen to the radio again. I think you need to know what cheesy pop ACTUALLY is. You have:

A Head Full Of Dreams - Mature pop song. Hey... weren't we just talking about U2? Yeah.

Birds - This can't be pop.

Hymn For The Weekend - My opinion: I like it, strong piano riff. But you're right in the fact, that it is bit cheesy and poppy. However, this is very experimental pop at that, and is in no way comparable to mainstream pop trash, because even this level takes some talent.

Everglow - Beautiful little pop ballad, but not cheesy.

Adventure of a Lifetime - Some lyrics fall a bit on the cheesy side but as a whole it's not really comparable to mainstream pop crap.

Fun - Moving. Not cheesy. Moving.

Kaleidoscope - In no way pop. They're trying classical music with this piece.

Army of One - Them playing with vocal samples don't mean "cheesy pop". The way they implemented it, it's called "experimentation". Definetely a heavier song.

X Marks The Spot - Not even pop, it's more hip-hop, and it's not like they're not talented, this is another example of extreme experimentation by a band mostly known for alt-rock. Some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy though, but if you're actually talking about the lyrics, well yea, they do suck compared to Oldplay lyrics.

Amazing Day - Not really "pop", but just a little bit cheesy.

Up&Up - Yeah, sorry. Not mainstreap pop trash. Two guitar solo's, can't beat that. Great lyrics, great everything, EXCEPT the electronic drums take away from it, and the production sucks.

As you can see, this is definetely Coldplay's most poppy album thus far but honestly, open up your ears! This is NOT mainstream pop trash, it's a trillion light years from that. It has a few cheesi-er tracks, and is definetely no where near AROBTTH but the point is, Coldplay hasn't turned mainstream pop. Sure, Chris Martin is interested in trash at the moment but that's where it ends. That'll have changed by LP8 I'm sure. I think this will be their last "pop" album so as to speak.

No way is Pop by U2 mainstream and it's probably as far away as one could get from AHFOD. I'm actually stunned that anyone would think the production values are mainstream or the structure of the songs are mainstream.

Just because it's called Pop doesn't mean it's music is mainstream pop. The whole album is a critique on pop and advertising culture hence the name and the outrageous Popmart tour complete with the big McDonalds like arch. As well as that there are some real personal and political moments like Wake Up Dead Man and Please.

I'd go as far to say it's their most non mainstream record. It restrains itself from soaring choruses and is very introspective and cynical. Some will say it was U2's last relevant record. They've had their moments after Pop but it's fair to say they ended their creative turns with Pop. And they earned the right to do that. 90s U2 was probably the best U2 era of them all and Pop possibly their most underrated album. It's albums like Pop that make you realise just how unambitious Coldplay are.

I don't believe how many people have no eyes. There can't be a way that that many people liked your post after reading that last statement.

Although, the rest of your post is correct.

Why am I here? Because they were a band once capable of producing great music. AROBTTH and VLV are two of the very best albums of the 00s.

Also I should 'try and listen to what they have to say'.

Ohh I've heard what they have to say. 'My heart goes bo boom boom boom' and 'I'm feeling drunk and high, so high'...well it's hardly Shakespeare is it?

Coldplay aren't a football team. You don't support them 'through thick and thin'. You judge them on merit and many of us have judged that they are failures. As I said earlier, many on here merely 'like' their music because they 'like' the band. Kind of like One Direction or Justin Bieber fans.

Really? Now you're focusing on the NEGATIVES?

That's why you're not looking at Coldplay as making good music anymore. You're focusing on the bad lyrics.

There's about 1000 other lyrics on the album you could be focusing on. And you choose THOSE.

Maybe look at the other songs for a change.

Under absolutely no circumstances are lyrics like 'feeling drunk and high' and 'bo boom boom boom' acceptable. You shouldn't even be writing that shit down let alone singing it. What's even more cringe inducing is that Chris Martin actually admitted he had 'worked on his lyrics' on this album. I'm sorry but he's just insulting the intelligence of Coldplay fans right there. Truly embarrassing.

Those are TWO. FREAKING. LYRICS. Get OVER IT. And listen to the OTHER lyrics in the album.

Look, there's bad lyrics in every Coldplay album. This time is no different, except it's more obvious.

Just as an aside, U2 are by far the best live band in the world. Noone even comes close to them. I've seen them 8 times since 1992 and every time you're completely blown away. Coldplay (until the MX tour) for me were a distant second best live band in the world.

Excuse me? MX was their best tour, they just got better.

• Like 4

Really? Did you quote the wrong quote or something? The only one being disrespectful here is [uSER=37087]@howyousawtheworld[/uSER].

Avoid talking to [uSER=37087]@howyousawtheworld[/uSER] then. @ihaveabono is making valid arguments.

Let me rephrase that: he doesn't write Oldplay-level music anymore. Ex: The Scientist, Amsterdam, Viva la Vida, etc.

He still writes great music. But the magic from the Oldplay era seems to have been lost. :(

It's not shockingly bad. It's shockingly unfortunate that they can't do as good as AROBTTH again but it's still good music.

Cheesy pop? It must have been a looooooooong time since you listened to the radio. There's not one track from AHFOD that's "cheesy pop" (except Hymn For The Weekend). Sure, there's quite a bit of cheese in Ghost Stories (and I even like that album, I just have to look past it) but your definition of "cheesy" must be reaaaaaaaally strict.

You need to fix up your ears. HFTW, XMTS, you're right. AD is a bit cheesy. Fun, not really.

I guarantee you AD would have been a classic if it were released in the AROBTTH era or something.

Most of AHFOD is cheesy pop? OMG. FIX YOU EARS. And listen to the radio again. I think you need to know what cheesy pop ACTUALLY is. You have:

A Head Full Of Dreams - Mature pop song. Hey... weren't we just talking about U2? Yeah.

Hymn For The Weekend - My opinion: I like it, strong piano riff. But you're right in the fact, that it is bit cheesy and poppy. However, this is very experimental pop at that, and is in no way comparable to mainstream pop trash, because even this level takes some talent.

Adventure of a Lifetime - Some lyrics fall a bit on the cheesy side but as a whole it's not really comparable to mainstream pop crap.

Army of One - Them playing with vocal samples don't mean "cheesy pop". The way they implemented it, it's called "experimentation". Definetely a heavier song.

X Marks The Spot - Not even pop, it's more hip-hop, and it's not like they're not talented, this is another example of extreme experimentation by a band mostly known for alt-rock. Some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy though, but if you're actually talking about the lyrics, well yea, they do suck compared to Oldplay lyrics.

Up&Up - Yeah, sorry. Not mainstreap pop trash. Two guitar solo's, can't beat that. Great lyrics, great everything, EXCEPT the electronic drums take away from it, and the production sucks.

As you can see, this is definetely Coldplay's most poppy album thus far but honestly, open up your ears! This is NOT mainstream pop trash, it's a trillion light years from that. It has a few cheesi-er tracks, and is definetely no where near AROBTTH but the point is, Coldplay hasn't turned mainstream pop. Sure, Chris Martin is interested in trash at the moment but that's where it ends. That'll have changed by LP8 I'm sure. I think this will be their last "pop" album so as to speak.

I don't believe how many people have no eyes. There can't be a way that that many people liked your post after reading that last statement.

That's why you're not looking at Coldplay as making good music anymore. You're focusing on the bad lyrics.

There's about 1000 other lyrics on the album you could be focusing on. And you choose THOSE.

Those are TWO. FREAKING. LYRICS. Get OVER IT. And listen to the OTHER lyrics in the album.

Look, there's bad lyrics in every Coldplay album. This time is no different, except it's more obvious.

MX most definitely wasn't there best tour, I've been going to see Coldplay since 2002 and by far the AROBTTH tour was their best, intimate, intense and brilliant. I've even met Chris backstage on the Twisted Logic tour and travelled far to see them and spent a lot of money, I was a massive fan and have got no axe to grind with them.

However I'm not blinded by my love for them to criticise them if they produce sub par music which AHFOD is, don't let your bias get in the way, listen to some great classic album from great bands and then listen to AHFOD. There's a massive difference in quality of music.

Incidentally, AD most certainly be a classic if it was released during the AROBTTH era, that's a poor excuse for a dreadful, Clichéd, generic song.

• Like 1

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think Choldplayer is perfectly able to judge his/her live experiences. I also think other users are entitled to who they agree/disagree with without the consent of yourself.

Of course they're two 'freaking lyrics' - I'm not going to waste my time posting EVERY bad lyric...we'd be here till the end of the world if that was the case. ;)

I also don't know what you are getting at with regard to my U2 Pop. The fact that others agree with me? If so, then wow - that is quite a tantrum. Also please - I'm not seeking your approval with regards to my perspective on Pop. You may agree with it (what parts of my perspective on U2's Pop do you agree with by the way? I'm intrigued.) but it's not up to you whether it is 'correct' or not.

I think Choldplayer is perfectly able to judge his/her live experiences. I also think other users are entitled to who they agree/disagree with without the consent of yourself.

Of course they're two 'freaking lyrics' - I'm not going to waste my time posting EVERY bad lyric...we'd be here till the end of the world if that was the case. ;)

I also don't know what you are getting at with regard to my U2 Pop. The fact that others agree with me? If so, then wow - that is quite a tantrum. Also please - I'm not seeking your approval with regards to my perspective on Pop. You may agree with it (what parts of my perspective on U2's Pop do you agree with by the way? I'm intrigued.) but it's not up to you whether it is 'correct' or not.

If the above poster is saying that ihaveabono is correct in some aspects in comparing Pop to AHFOD then I'm really stunned, there's just no comparison between the albums, none whatsoever. They're two totally different beasts.

Guest howyousawtheworld
If the above poster is saying that ihaveabono is correct in some aspects in comparing Pop to AHFOD then I'm really stunned, there's just no comparison between the albums, none whatsoever. They're two totally different beasts.

It's incredible isn't it. It's like comparing chalk and cheese. Yeah...I don't think they've ever listened to it. I'm guessing you're thinking much the same.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Those days are long gone my friend. He's now friends with Jay the Z and those guys from One Dimension.

'Why you so mean? He can be friends with whoever he wants....waaa!'

Guest howyousawtheworld
This should be re-named "The U2 Appreciation Thread"

The AHFOD thread should be renamed the 'Definitely not like Pop Thread'

Guest howyousawtheworld
Chris doesn't need to play the guitar anymore, he's evolved to a higher musical synth instrument genre!!!!!

The people out there just haven't realised it. In time AHFOD will be recognised as the 21st century Sgt Pepper! We're just slow on the uptake!

Guest howyousawtheworld
This thread should be renamed "I'm so nostalgic that I cant get my head outta my ass and listen to good music" thread

Sounds like a lyric from AHFOD!

Yeah but it isnt a Christmasy album right? At least i dont see it that way, I mean, HFTW isn't exactly a Christmas tune..

All the talk of are they or aren't they selling out is pointless. They've always left it up to the higher ups- as far when albums will be released.

Songs come out of Chris all year round. Chris says to the studio-- "when do you want them?" :P

• Like 1

Wow, I just read through the entire thread and definitely an interesting read on people's opinions on CP and AHFOD.

As to where I stand--I also dislike AHFOD. I think there are some decent songs in it like Up and Up and Birds but those songs are no where near the quality of their previous work. As to why I bother listening to their music or commenting on it if I dislike it--because I believe they are very talented and could produce incredible new songs if they actually tried. U2 is my favorite band and I always said that CP could be better than/surpass U2 one day but their last few albums make me question this position. Not because CP can't do good music but because they don't want to. As someone else said, now they rely on gimmicks and featured artists to stay relevant. As to comparing U2's Pop and AHFOD--not even in the same league. U2's pop is still a rock album and a very good one at that with interesting and profound lyrics. The same can not be said about AHFOD. As to those that say a band cannot stay the same throughout the years--I agree. CP cannot and should not make another AROBTTH. They should make a better album than that. It's called growth. U2 has changed through out the years but they never went down the path of almost all pop music to stay relevant. In every U2 album you can clearly hear rock. One poster said it seems like CP is regressing. I agree. A simple look at the lyrics in Paradise makes this point:

And dream of para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

She'd dream of para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

La-la-la-la-la-la-la

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

or Hymn

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

Got me feeling drunk and high

So high, so high

Oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

I'm feeling drunk and high

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

La, la, la, la, la, la, la

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

I'm feeling drunk and high

So high, so high

The emerging pattern are repetitive lyrics devoid of any real emotion. And yes that put's them in the league of other pop artists like Maroon 5.

As to the comment that AHFOD is better than X&Y --I completely disagree. X&Y is the album that made me love CP and my favorite album. Songs like Fix You, Hardest Part, and Low have beautiful melodies and heartfelt lyrics.

My hope for CP--that they will return to their rock roots and stop this pop/dance phase. Not because I dislike pop, I actually like it but because I believe that they are not very good at it. Maroon 5, Taylor Swift and a host of other artists are better at pop. CP doing it is forgettable and almost embarrassing (because it feels like they are trying too hard at something that does not come natural to them). A quick look at the iTunes charts here in the U.S. makes that point. They are currently not even in the top 10 albums. Before they used to sit in the top 10 for weeks. If CP were a new band today releasing AHFOD as their first album I truly believe they would fail and barely chart. At rock CP excels so I will continue to listen to their back catalog and any new albums they put out in the hopes that they will return to form and be the great band that they can be.

These are just my opinions and not meant to offend or insult anyone who disagrees with me.

• Like 9