✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

It’s hard for me to comprehend. The band I loved and grew up with, the band I had stored in my cd player at all times when travelling to and from school every weekday. Big, soaring, ecstatic stadium rock that ticked all the boxes for me. While I never listened out much to the lyrics in song, it was Coldplay’s melodies that always struck me. I always sound out Coldplay for melody first and everything else second. It always has been that way for me and always will. And Coldplay’s melodies always talked to me. They always soared but they were always clipped by a dash of melancholy (NOT sentimentality as some lazy music journalists insist) that has more or less reflected my own personality. A sense of sombreness in the here and now yet fails to temper my own ambitions for the future or escapist, summery visions in my mind. That was what Coldplay did so well and that’s what I latched on to them for. Sadness yet hopeful. Sombre but beautiful.

I’m not a happy go lucky sort of guy. I’m not someone who ‘dances’ to music and I’m not someone who seeks out music to be energised. I seek out music to be comforted and to go to another place with. And so I feel sad and disappointed that the band that released this album last Friday are no longer that band that can reflect or comfort my own state of mind. Gone is the melancholy and in its place false sentimentality. Gone is the soaring hopefulness and in its place a superficial roller coaster ride. Perhaps it comes with the weight of celebrity these days but I no longer believe in Chris Martin’s music. How can I? It’s impossible to enjoy music that is telling us how much fun they are having.

So you’re living it up in Malibu with Beyonce, Jay Z and co. So what? How IS THAT suppose to speak to me? Am I suppose to enjoy you singing about how great your life is, living it up with your countless string of Hollywood A list girlfriends, your promenade walks down golden beaches when at the same time I’m walking down a filthy wet street in a city I’ve grown to hate working for something that I’ve lost the passion for? I don’t want to hear about that.

For sure, I’d love the warm comforts that LA has to offer. I’d love to have the sun. I’d love to have a mansion I’d love to have the private surf board sessions and write a song about it but I can’t and I don’t.

I don’t ask to be served a performance of miserablist inspired music 24/7. All I want is something that comforts me again. Like the feeling a warm fire gives off when you’ve spent all day out in the freezing rain and cold.

And maybe that’s the thing with Coldplay. Some of us only ever fell in love with the band so we could be comforted. I think a lot of Coldplay fans from over a decade ago related to that. Being aware that other people are aware that everything might not be rosy but things can turn out for the best? That gives me hope. Being told how wonderful this guy’s life is in sunny LA? I have no hope.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They moved on, some fans stayed the same. Things change. They own nothing to us and writing letters to them is ridiculous. They will never ever sound like Oldplay again. No one will. I used to seek comfort in them too but now only hope that they write good melodic music with non cringe-worthy lyrics. There is more than one emotion out there. See You Soon is just as good as Charlie Brown even though they are diametrically opposite. They just move me and fill me with different but immense emotions.

• Like 8

Guest howyousawtheworld
They moved on, some fans stayed the same. Things change. They own nothing to us and writing letters to them is ridiculous. They will never ever sound like Oldplay again. No one will. I used to seek comfort in them too but now only hope that they write good melodic music with non cringe-worthy lyrics. There is more than one emotion out there. See You Soon is just as good as Charlie Brown even though they are diametrically opposite. They just move me and fill me with different but immense emotions.

It's not a letter. Don't know what gave you that idea. Read more carefully next time.

You put a lot of effort in your post, my respect therefore. But I cant agree with the content.

I dont want to go into much further detail, just saying that now their discography is really huge and there should be a bit to pick for everyone.

Speaking for myself, I cant expect them doing music always fitting to my personal circumstances.

Thats just wrong. Furthermore, those positive vibes they deliver now do motivate me and lift up my life, which has been very tough in the last couple of months. And if I do feel the need to listen to something melancholic,i grab out the fantastic Parachutes, for example.

Finally, Oasis is still one of my favourite bands ever.

And they sung about ecstatic parties or how it is being a millionaire. But I cant hate them for, they achieved that on their own. Its iconic. And same goes for Coldplay.

But I totally respect your point of view.

• Like 7

It's not a letter. Read more carefully or has Bieber got to your head again?

Fuck that.

Chill.

That part was directed to the post after yours. I read everything. For the record I hated the most part of this years' top 10 music but a couple of weeks ago the top songs were Hello, Sorry, Hotline Bling, The Hills ALL AMAZING but you just can't understand that because you're a gloomy British guy. Radiohead, U2, Arcade Fire, Coldplay etc. are my favorite bands but that doesn't stop me from liking totally different types of music.

I'm not trying to antagonize you deliberately, I agree their output is in a decline, but I bet that in a couple of years you'll at least frown upon your own opening post.

I’m not someone who ‘dances’ to music and I’m not someone who seeks out music to be energised... I seek out music to be comforted and to go to another place with....

I seek both and so do Coldplay. No wonder you dont like some of their albums (I assume MX and AHFOD mostly). People are different, doesn't make anyone wrong or right. Ultimately Coldplay do not belong to anyone other than to themselves. Its their music to do with it what they please. Also you sound like there is no other band on earth who could fulfill your need for music with a "melancholic with a dash of hope" vibe. I am sure there are aplenty!

one is the melancholy and in its place false sentimentality....

False to you perhaps. Real and heartfelt for others.

So you’re living it up in Malibu with Beyonce, Jay Z and co. So what? How IS THAT suppose to speak to me?....

You´re aware that you are implicitly saying that anyone relating to AHFOD and the exuberant songs is basically only doing so because they relate to "living it up in Malibu"? LOL I dont know Beyonce, Jay Z and I dont live in Malibu, so...sorry to disappoint you :)

And maybe that’s the thing with Coldplay. Some of us only ever fell in love with the band so we could be comforted. ...

I really get this but I am just mystified that you still listen to them :) Why not find some other bands you can relate to? If Coldplay in the future will want to revisit Parachutes 2, then maybe that will resonate with you and its all well. But why resenting a band for doing the music they want? Makes no sense.

Being told how wonderful this guy’s life is in sunny LA? I have no hope.

Now LA is indeed sunny *lol* but if you think thats the reason behind songs like ASFOS or Adventure, well you certainly have not understood where the songs have come from.

(To the other comment) Finally, I am sorry, but a letter to the band? LOL Ok maybe I am seeing this from the perspective of a musician, but I´ll be damned if I´d listen to anyone else on the planet telling me how my music should or should not be LOL Several of my friends are painters and if you went on and told them "hey I think you should paint this and that cuz hey thats your true roots your true nature", they´d cringe and tell you to sod off *LOL* That said, Coldplay might go back to writing another Parachutes who´s to know, but it is their journey to make, not ours or anyone else´s. Sometimes you feel like joining them in their journey, sometimes not. And thats perfectly fine. Plenty of other "musical" fish in the sea :)

• Like 4

Guest howyousawtheworld
You put a lot of effort in your post, my respect therefore. But I cant agree with the content.

I dont want to go into much further detail, just saying that now their discography is really huge and there should be a bit to pick for everyone.

Speaking for myself, I cant expect them doing music always fitting to my personal circumstances.

Thats just wrong. Furthermore, those positive vibes they deliver now do motivate me and lift up my life, which has been very tough in the last couple of months. And if I do feel the need to listen to something melancholic,i grab out the fantastic Parachutes, for example.

Finally, Oasis is still one of my favourite bands ever.

And they sung about ecstatic parties or how it is being a millionaire. But I cant hate them for, they achieved that on their own. Its iconic. And same goes for Coldplay.

But I totally respect your point of view.

In fairness Oasis earnt that. He wrote about wanting to be a rock and roll star whilst on the dole. He became one and lived the dream.

What dream do Coldplay live? A fucking terrible one if the latest album is anything to go by.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I seek both and so do Coldplay. No wonder you dont like some of their albums (I assume MX and AHFOD mostly). People are different, doesn't make anyone wrong or right. Ultimately Coldplay do not belong to anyone other than to themselves. Its their music to do with it what they please. Also you sound like there is no other band on earth who could fulfill your need for music with a "melancholic with a dash of hope" vibe. I am sure there are aplenty!

You´re aware that you are implicitly saying that anyone relating to AHFOD and the exuberant songs is basically only doing so because they relate to "living it up in Malibu"? LOL I dont know Beyonce, Jay Z and I dont live in Malibu, so...sorry to disappoint you :)

I really get this but I am just mystified that you still listen to them :) Why not find some other bands you can relate to? If Coldplay in the future will want to revisit Parachutes 2, then maybe that will resonate with you and its all well. But why resenting a band for doing the music they want? Makes no sense.

Now LA is indeed sunny *lol* but if you think thats the reason behind songs like ASFOS or Adventure, well you certainly have not understood where the songs have come from.

(To the other comment) Finally, I am sorry, but a letter to the band? LOL Ok maybe I am seeing this from the perspective of a musician, but I´ll be damned if I´d listen to anyone else on the planet telling me how my music should or should not be LOL Several of my friends are painters and if you went on and told them "hey I think you should paint this and that cuz hey thats your true roots your true nature", they´d cringe and tell you to sod off *LOL* That said, Coldplay might go back to writing another Parachutes who´s to know, but it is their journey to make, not ours or anyone else´s. Sometimes you feel like joining them in their journey, sometimes not. And thats perfectly fine. Plenty of other "musical" fish in the sea :)

Oh please. All this 'they don't belong to anyone but themselves' is bullshit. All a bit bubblegum child friendly view isn't it? They belong to the hack US trash society whoring themselves out to his celeb mates just so they still want to look popular and relevant. Commercially motivated. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Chill.

That part was directed to the post after yours. I read everything. For the record I hated the most part of this years' top 10 music but a couple of weeks ago the top songs were Hello, Sorry, Hotline Bling, The Hills ALL AMAZING but you just can't understand that because you're a gloomy British guy. Radiohead, U2, Arcade Fire, Coldplay etc. are my favorite bands but that doesn't stop me from liking totally different types of music.

I'm not trying to antagonize you deliberately, I agree their output is in a decline, but I bet that in a couple of years you'll at least frown upon your own opening post.

'Gloomy British guy'?

What's with bringing in the British got to do with this?

Very fine post.. I must say that I can see where you're coming from. However I do not see AHFOD as a simple celebration of all his riches, lifestyle etc.. Rather as almost a pep talk he's giving to himself in his own head. When I hear AHFOD, I hear a broken man who is trying to convince himself he's happy to be alive, and I can relate to those feelings perfectly. Perhaps the sugary pop production takes away from that, but I believe that to be purposeful. Same as GS. I don't think Chris truly wants to share his emotions, yet he does. It's a contradiction. In fact I believe he may be more torn and full of anxiety then ever before, that's why he has to hide it. Parachutes- x&y were more heart in sleeve and passionate cause he could handle it, not anymore. So we get a revolutionary concept album, a comic book sci-fi concept album, an attempt to be sincere album and an attempt to be happy album. I think Chris is "lost!".. I hope he finds his way and then we can get more intimate, passionate songs. Or he could just be a rich bastard living it up, lol. But I hear what I hear, and you hear what you hear. The human mind is a beautiful, strange thing

• Like 5

Oh please. All this 'they don't belong to anyone but themselves' is bullshit. All a bit bubblegum child friendly view isn't it? They belong to the hack US trash society whoring themselves out to his celeb mates just so they still want to look popular and relevant. Commercially motivated. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess it's easier for some people to think that they've sold out or are commercial "whores" than to think they might actually be making the music they want to make. I think it says more about your deep dislike of certain genres than it does about Coldplay motivation.

But again I'm mistified you're a fan of a band you hold in such low esteem. I sure would never be :)

I love AHFOD, but I only really REALLY like AHFOD (the incredible title track:D), Birds, Amazing Day, Up&Up, the interludes, Fun and AOAL.

I've decided Hymn's a cool dance rock track n all, but it's a bit weird seeing it come from Coldplay, it's still good though. Everglow's beautiful but can get boring at times (except from the lyrics and Jonny's solo). Army Of One is GARBAGE. XMTS is no longer my least favourite, but still awful.

I really hope they never work with Stargate again. They ruin good songs.

wow! so much bitterness!

i'll just address this quote that stood out to me.

So you’re living it up in Malibu with Beyonce, Jay Z and co. So what? How IS THAT suppose to speak to me? Am I suppose to enjoy you singing about how great your life is, living it up with your countless string of Hollywood...

are you implying that chris should change his circumstances and make himself miserable to make music that speaks to you? to me it feels like you are too engrossed in his personal life and how that relates to the music rather than approaching the music as it is. i think people like you is one of the reasons why chris tried to keep his personal life and professional life completely separate until recently. if you think noel g. (who i assume you'd like) doesn't live a cosy, rock star life, or any other major successful group/artist for that matter, it'd be delusional. they have millions in their banks, have big name friends, of course they are all living it up. it's just how much publicity these things get that changes people's perceptions. to me, it's more important what they choose to be or do with the fame once they have it.

i personally haven't enjoyed a coldplay album thoroughly since viva, but there are many things i still appreciate in the band. when you take all 7 albums together, i can see a real sense of maturing, growth and acceptance. chris has embraced the circumstances in his life. no doubt. from what he says, it is clear the way he approached fame and all that came with it, made it harder for him and his loved ones. don't we all strive for happiness in life? seems like he is making huge progress. i'm happy for him as a fan that has followed the band for a long time. but i won't blame him for trying to better his life, find happiness and content with my lack of enjoyment in their later music.

also got to point out, the album is not all sunshine and rainbows. there is a difference between hopefulness and happiness.

anyway, not trying to get in to a fight in any way :) just my thoughts.

• Like 8

Very fine post.. I must say that I can see where you're coming from. However I do not see AHFOD as a simple celebration of all his riches, lifestyle etc.. Rather as almost a pep talk he's giving to himself in his own head. When I hear AHFOD, I hear a broken man who is trying to convince himself he's happy to be alive, and I can relate to those feelings perfectly. Perhaps the sugary pop production takes away from that, but I believe that to be purposeful. Same as GS. I don't think Chris truly wants to share his emotions, yet he does. It's a contradiction. In fact I believe he may be more torn and full of anxiety then ever before, that's why he has to hide it. Parachutes- x&y were more heart in sleeve and passionate cause he could handle it, not anymore. So we get a revolutionary concept album, a comic book sci-fi concept album, an attempt to be sincere album and an attempt to be happy album. I think Chris is "lost!".. I hope he finds his way and then we can get more intimate, passionate songs. Or he could just be a rich bastard living it up, lol. But I hear what I hear, and you hear what you hear. The human mind is a beautiful, strange thing

Interesting -hopefully untrue- point of view.

At least he's getting laid.

My letter suggestion was not meant as in "send Chris this letter, he's gonna change it then !" It was meant as in "I'd really like it if among the hundreds of fan messages that may or may not reach them by teenage fangirls telling them how A Sky Full Of Stars was the best song ever I think it would be cool if critical perceptions like this one were among it". Other than that, I agree with the sentiment that AHFOD is, to a certain extent, a reflection of life in Chris Martins's Malibu celeb bubble. I don't deny he has deeper thoughts and feelings, but if he has AHFOD does not convey them. It conveys this shallow "Be happy every moment - see every sunise as a gift - oh I'm feeling so alive- woohooo !"

Radiohead have a song called Fake Plastic Trees, and this title reminds me that was Coldplay is trying to express and make at the moment would qualify as fake plastic pop.

May be difficult to relate to if you are worried about where you might be in 5 years and if you still will have the same job and if you can still support your family and all that.

Some people called it hippie, I say calling it hippie is an insult to real hippies and their music. Hippies didn't live like Chris Martin lives now, they would abhor that kind of lifestyle.

• Like 1

Some people called it hippie, I say calling it hippie is an insult to real hippies and their music. Hippies didn't live like Chris Martin lives now, they would abhor that kind of lifestyle.

This bona fide hippie disagrees :) and I think it's a giant misconception that money brings a worry carefree life. It sure takes some practical worries away no doubt but we are still human and we most likely will feel pain suffering heartbreak and touch bottom no matter how much money we have in the bank.

• Like 3

Unfortunately for you... If this is true, it is their choice, and theirs alone to make. And also unfortunately for you, they have already made their choice and are standing firm. Btw, in our modern enlightened world (we hope), no one should belong to anyone but themselves... Sure they will have to lie in their own bed they have made, but it should be their own... Are we really having this conversation?

In terms of Coldplay living the dream... It is their dream (and their journey)... They never were Oasis and never will be - CM himself has said that they were 4 "average" kids coming from middle income families in the UK who met in college... and that they have never had it particularly tough (although everyone does have their own trials and tribulations in life to overcome).

Btw, a note about shit work and shit jobs / life... we all have those from time-to-time (some more so than others) - Coldplay are trying to learn to take the sweet and bitter together as graciously as they can... that's the whole point of AHFOD. I understand if it's not your cup of tea, but that's the direction they are moving towards. The other point was that we all have a responsibility to ourselves to work on our own lives and try and make it better (rather than just bitch and whine about it) - call it personal responsibility. Of course sometimes we don't have control over some situations / circumstances eg education, what family you were born into, which boss you work under... but you know what? Most of us no longer live in dictatorship countries... If you job is shit, try and look towards changing that situation (retrain, gain experience, look for other jobs, etc, etc); same with your relationships - we all got to learn to manage them... And yeah, sometimes trying to find that extra bit of energy to smile and be kind to others helps make other people's life less shitty as well - look at it as your contribution to humanity / others... That is also one of the messages of AHFOD (or the process of it anyway).

• Like 3

Chris Martin has become a bit of an embarrassment. The jumping around, crotch grabbing, the grabbing the Teenage girls hands on stage, the colored clothes etc, etc. He's turned into the member of a boyband at the age of 38 and dragged the rest of Coldplay with him, they're nothing much more than a Beats promoting commercial vehicle now trying to market themselves to the mass market . I'd have hoped he'd be maturing and his music would be evolving and getting more mature and intelligent but he's literally, musically, creatively going backwards. It couldn't be further from what I am and what I loved about them in the first place.

AHFOD shocks me, it's like the unravelling of a great band on record. An album devoid of any sort of songwriting craft or intelligence.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you Chris Martin? Your responses seem to come from him. Minus the last part. lol

Are you Chris Martin? Your responses seem to come from him. Minus the last part. lol

*checks his passport and drivers license* nope, definitely not Chris Martin, still very much Leo haha

I can relate to a lot of the stuff he talks about though and I tend to be very high and very low like he apparently gets. Also I dance as badly as he does lol