✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Wow, I just read through the entire thread and definitely an interesting read on people's opinions on CP and AHFOD.

As to where I stand--I also dislike AHFOD. I think there are some decent songs in it like Up and Up and Birds but those songs are no where near the quality of their previous work. As to why I bother listening to their music or commenting on it if I dislike it--because I believe they are very talented and could produce incredible new songs if they actually tried. U2 is my favorite band and I always said that CP could be better than/surpass U2 one day but their last few albums make me question this position. Not because CP can't do good music but because they don't want to. As someone else said, now they rely on gimmicks and featured artists to stay relevant. As to comparing U2's Pop and AHFOD--not even in the same league. U2's pop is still a rock album and a very good one at that with interesting and profound lyrics. The same can not be said about AHFOD. As to those that say a band cannot stay the same throughout the years--I agree. CP cannot and should not make another AROBTTH. They should make a better album than that. It's called growth. U2 has changed through out the years but they never went down the path of almost all pop music to stay relevant. In every U2 album you can clearly hear rock. One poster said it seems like CP is regressing. I agree. A simple look at the lyrics in Paradise makes this point:

And dream of para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

She'd dream of para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

La-la-la-la-la-la-la

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

or Hymn

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

Got me feeling drunk and high

So high, so high

Oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

I'm feeling drunk and high

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

La, la, la, la, la, la, la

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

The emerging pattern are repetitive lyrics devoid of any real emotion. And yes that put's them in the league of other pop artists like Maroon 5.

As to the comment that AHFOD is better than X&Y --I completely disagree. X&Y is the album that made me love CP and my favorite album. Songs like Fix You, Hardest Part, and Low have beautiful melodies and heartfelt lyrics.

My hope for CP--that they will return to their rock roots and stop this pop/dance phase. Not because I dislike pop, I actually like it but because I believe that they are not very good at it. Maroon 5, Taylor Swift and a host of other artists are better at pop. CP doing it is forgettable and almost embarrassing (because it feels like they are trying too hard at something that does not come natural to them). A quick look at the iTunes charts here in the U.S. makes that point. They are currently not even in the top 10 albums. Before they used to sit in the top 10 for weeks. If CP were a new band today releasing AHFOD as their first album I truly believe they would fail and barely chart. At rock CP excels so I will continue to listen to their back catalog and any new albums they put out in the hopes that they will return to form and be the great band that they can be.

These are just my opinions and not meant to offend or insult anyone who disagrees with me.

Post of the thread for sure.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just read through the entire thread and definitely an interesting read on people's opinions on CP and AHFOD.

As to where I stand--I also dislike AHFOD. I think there are some decent songs in it like Up and Up and Birds but those songs are no where near the quality of their previous work. As to why I bother listening to their music or commenting on it if I dislike it--because I believe they are very talented and could produce incredible new songs if they actually tried. U2 is my favorite band and I always said that CP could be better than/surpass U2 one day but their last few albums make me question this position. Not because CP can't do good music but because they don't want to. As someone else said, now they rely on gimmicks and featured artists to stay relevant. As to comparing U2's Pop and AHFOD--not even in the same league. U2's pop is still a rock album and a very good one at that with interesting and profound lyrics. The same can not be said about AHFOD. As to those that say a band cannot stay the same throughout the years--I agree. CP cannot and should not make another AROBTTH. They should make a better album than that. It's called growth. U2 has changed through out the years but they never went down the path of almost all pop music to stay relevant. In every U2 album you can clearly hear rock. One poster said it seems like CP is regressing. I agree. A simple look at the lyrics in Paradise makes this point:

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

La-la-la-la-la-la-la

or Hymn

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

The emerging pattern are repetitive lyrics devoid of any real emotion. And yes that put's them in the league of other pop artists like Maroon 5.

As to the comment that AHFOD is better than X&Y --I completely disagree. X&Y is the album that made me love CP and my favorite album. Songs like Fix You, Hardest Part, and Low have beautiful melodies and heartfelt lyrics.

My hope for CP--that they will return to their rock roots and stop this pop/dance phase. Not because I dislike pop, I actually like it but because I believe that they are not very good at it. Maroon 5, Taylor Swift and a host of other artists are better at pop. CP doing it is forgettable and almost embarrassing (because it feels like they are trying too hard at something that does not come natural to them). A quick look at the iTunes charts here in the U.S. makes that point. They are currently not even in the top 10 albums. Before they used to sit in the top 10 for weeks. If CP were a new band today releasing AHFOD as their first album I truly believe they would fail and barely chart. At rock CP excels so I will continue to listen to their back catalog and any new albums they put out in the hopes that they will return to form and be the great band that they can be.

These are just my opinions and not meant to offend or insult anyone who disagrees with me.

Although I can not agree with you, it's nice to see someone trying to have a proper, thought out discussion instead of using sarcasm or mockery. Great post[emoji106]

• Like 2

The Newplayers don't/cant back up their posts, we've tried to back ours up and that post pretty much sums up all we've been saying. Great post.

I can't say that all the Newplayer's posts were solid (tbh same goes for pretty much any side) but I'm pretty sure Jedi Leo's posts were well thought out and nicely backed up? There are some other posters but I can't really remember their names... sorry :)

• Like 1

The emerging pattern are repetitive lyrics devoid of any real emotion.

I respect your opinion but again I think your choice of lyrical quotes was quite deliberate and limited. No one would agree that those lyrics are deep, but I would also say it would be also hard to state that each song on AHFOD or MX has lyrics like those. It doesn't. We have prime examples of very good lyrical content on both albums. But I can empathise that if you really dislike something, that something tends to pop up to your ears and mind more than other bits.

And just for the record, as odd as it may sound to some, Hymn really does move me every time, the "drunk and high" part just reminds me of how wonderful a certain person makes me feel and gives me joy to remember this every time the chorus comes up. So yeah I totally get your point, but its also hard to establish what lyrics are ultimately touching people or not.

My hope for CP--that they will return to their rock roots and stop this pop/dance phase. Not because I dislike pop, I actually like it but because I believe that they are not very good at it. Maroon 5, Taylor Swift and a host of other artists are better at pop. At rock CP excels so I will continue to listen to their back catalog and any new albums they put out in the hopes that they will return to form and be the great band that they can be.

Yes I can see what you mean with your argumentation. Also in light of the fact that you said you´d like Coldplay to follow on U2´s steps and surpass them, I can see why you would feel the way you do about them going back to rock. As for whether they are good at pop or not it depends on the perspective. I could say that Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift make songs that are devoid of emotion to me, and that I am happy Coldplay can make a pop album that actually moves me, so I can enjoy the pop part but not have to switch off my heart in the process. With this in mind, I´d say they are very good at pop, more than the majority. Your point of view is equally valid.

Though I´d conclude by saying yes they explored different genres and went more pop than ever before in AHFOD, but when they start playing Adventure live for example and I hear that guitar chime in, that voice and those beats, it is still so unmistakable Coldplay to me through and through! (You just have to look past the monkeys this time around LOL)

I can't say that all the Newplayer's posts were solid (tbh same goes for pretty much any side) but I'm pretty sure Jedi Leo's posts were well thought out and nicely backed up? There are some other posters but I can't really remember their names... sorry :)

Ok wow when did I suddenly become a Newplayer? hahaha I´ve known them since Parachutes and been rocking at Yellow and Clocks and Spies is the first song I ever heard from them and it still haunts me to this day hehe , though I was a too poor lad back then to go to any concerts in the UK hehe It is true that I really got into them first from X&Y. If that makes me new...., oh well I feel like a teenager again LOL

I respect your opinion but again I think your choice of lyrical quotes was quite deliberate and limited. No one would agree that those lyrics are deep, but I would also say it would be also hard to state that each song on AHFOD or MX has lyrics like those. It doesn't. We have prime examples of very good lyrical content on both albums. But I can empathise that if you really dislike something, that something tends to pop up to your ears and mind more than other bits.

And just for the record, as odd as it may sound to some, Hymn really does move me every time, the "drunk and high" part just reminds me of how wonderful a certain person makes me feel and gives me joy to remember this every time the chorus comes up. So yeah I totally get your point, but its also hard to establish what lyrics are ultimately touching people or not.

Yes I can see what you mean with your argumentation. Also in light of the fact that you said you´d like Coldplay to follow on U2´s steps and surpass them, I can see why you would feel the way you do about them going back to rock. As for whether they are good at pop or not it depends on the perspective. I could say that Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift make songs that are devoid of emotion to me, and that I am happy Coldplay can make a pop album that actually moves me, so I can enjoy the pop part but not have to switch off my heart in the process. With this in mind, I´d say they are very good at pop, more than the majority. Your point of view is equally valid.

Though I´d conclude by saying yes they explored different genres and went more pop than ever before in AHFOD, but when they start playing Adventure live for example and I hear that guitar chime in, that voice and those beats, it is still so unmistakable Coldplay to me through and through! (You just have to look past the monkeys this time around LOL)

I agree with Ultraviolet25, I just don't hear any creativity or anything of much interest in their new work. It's smacks mostly of gimmicks and bad songwriting. I just can't help think Coldplay have taken such a downward turn.

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

Para-para-paradise

La-la-la-la-la-la-la

or Hymn

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Ah-oh-ah-oh-ah

So high, so high

Good man.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why some people here are still Coldplay fans when they don't even like their music anymore. I'm not saying this in a "You're not a true fan!" kind of way, I just don't understand how you can be a fan of something you genuinly dislike.

Do you like every single game your favourite sports team plays? Even if they play badly and lose? No, you praise the good games and criticize the bad and even if they happen to go through a bad period you don't stop supporting them.

Do you like every single game your favourite sports team plays? Even if they play badly and lose? No, you praise the good games and criticize the bad and even if they happen to go through a bad period you don't stop supporting them.

If that bad period is way longer than the "good" period Im not sure I would still stick around LOL Also sport teams tend to be connected to a sort of geographical loyalty. Its like no matter how bad a team does, its still your home team so you´re kinda bound to support them hehe

So I totally get Rickulus question, but I guess we come at it from different expectations and perspectives. I cant really say my loyalty takes priority over my enjoyment of the music, maybe that makes me a bad fan haha But its just music and I prioritise investing in what gives me joy, not in criticising what doesn't. But I do get your point Adversary as well as your steadfastness about the band and I do hope that in time they will play a good game for you again :)

Btw I think you may be misquoting Chris Martin there... I believe his actual words were more "We felt like rock music has been done", rather than actually saying rock music is dead... He could well have meant "rock music has been done (by us)"

The thing is I don't think that's necessarily true either... there were different examples of rock between AROBTTH and X&Y. That sort of implies it's a shallow genre in terms of doing different things, it's not really.

I finally listened to the album today and it's okay in the first half but just fizzles out by the latter half. I think I have to agree with the poster that said Coldplay aren't really that great at doing pop, at least for the length of an entire album :/ maybe an EP, sure.

I am also finding it really awkward that I'm finding more meaning in the lyrics of J-idol songs which are really damn manufactured...

1. Btw I think you may be misquoting Chris Martin there... I believe his actual words were more "We felt like rock music has been done", rather than actually saying rock music is dead... He could well have meant "rock music has been done (by us)"

The thing is I don't think that's necessarily true either... there were different examples of rock between AROBTTH and X&Y. That sort of implies it's a shallow genre in terms of doing different things, it's not really.

I finally listened to the album today and it's okay in the first half but just fizzles out by the latter half. I think I have to agree with the poster that said Coldplay aren't really that great at doing pop, at least for the length of an entire album :/ maybe an EP, sure.

I am also finding it really awkward that I'm finding more meaning in the lyrics of J-idol songs which are really damn manufactured...

My main point about the earlier post was just to ensure CM was quoted correctly - up to each individual in terms of how they interpret what he actually said...

With regards to the album, funnily enough I have the opposite reaction - I think it is a solid 2nd half that I connect better to more than the first half :P That's just an emotional reaction to the music of course, I am not saying that the 2nd half is actually "better".

Ok wow when did I suddenly become a Newplayer? hahaha I´ve known them since Parachutes and been rocking at Yellow and Clocks and Spies is the first song I ever heard from them and it still haunts me to this day hehe , though I was a too poor lad back then to go to any concerts in the UK hehe It is true that I really got into them first from X&Y. If that makes me new...., oh well I feel like a teenager again LOL

Well you like their new stuff ao I guess it makes you a Newplayer lol. I guess I shouldn't have classified you as a Newplayer, just a Coldplayer hehe :)

I replied to basically the same question. I believe I said something like this:

"I get it if you don't like some of their work. However, in this case we're talking disliking their work for almost 6 years! That is almost half of their career. If you don't like them, you don't have to be a fan, find another artist you like :)"

Yada,Yada, Yada. Let's move on. The popcorn has gone stale. Bring on the tour, see this band live and tell me you don't love them or just move on.

I agree, both sides are trying to convince each other that they're right, and neither side is going to budge on the issue. It was slightly entertaining in the beginning. Now it's as repetitive as Chris's "woooaaahhs" lol. Unless somebody brings a new argument to either side I think we should just let this thread die for awhile.

• Like 2

In my 3 eras of arguing with the other side, I've learned that neither side will ever really magically change their views no matter how convincing the argument for or against (for better or worse).

So ill say this: if you're still on the ride, then buckle up. But if not, we're sad to see you go.

• Like 2

I like the album and can't wait till I can see them live , I also like their older stuff [emoji4][emoji4]

And okay everyone has his own opinion but like the posts above me said go see them live first [emoji4]

Life is for living [emoji6]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We as fans, all want to express our opinions...I knew before the release, I wasn't going to like this new album after hearing Everglow and Amazing day, but because I am a loving, loyal fan, I bought the album. I've listened twice. Not excited about it. :( Maybe it's time to move onto other bands, I say to myself, but no one other than Alt J are creating anything interesting, exciting or what my soul craves, so there's that. I might just give up on music altogether.

idk maybe you should listen to it more don't try to compare to other records but compare it to itself I in particular think his album is very good and solid from start to finish I can't stop listening to it no track that I'd skip but of course just my opinion maybe you should expand your music listening to diff genres then listen to this album to appreciate it more and not just stick to rock

• Like 2